Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes
I just love this one for some reason. Calvin and Hobbes is the best. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I love how past Newspaper Spider-man is still incompetent :v:

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Tomorrow: Will she come i...oh wait she said she's not. But she is already isn't she? How do doors and walls work?

I'd like to think this whole sequence is just the writer's metacommentary on the artwork.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Esplanade posted:

I'd like to think this whole sequence is just the writer's metacommentary on the artwork.
I now desperately want that to be the case; he's going to write Margo realizing the breakdown of her reality, and Bolle's just going to draw whatever the gently caress he wants without reading the dialog as always, just reinforcing Margo's realizations.

Accidental postmodernism.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Christ, how long has this been going on? I thought Guran won already.

Jane's World

Oh, we are finally back to the log cabin republicans.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Fritzi Ritz (1938)

Rarebit Fiend (1905, click for huge)

Everett True on Vacation (1910)

again, not vacation, but in the run.

Sick, Sick, Sick (1956, click for big)

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Fingerpori

In Finnish butter that's gone bad is "härski", which is also what you can call people like the letch uncle everyone has who keeps telling dirty stories and hitting on everyone.

Fok_it

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (August 7-8, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Three (January 8-11, 1952)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I appreciate the way Everett True is a jerk. I just know that anybody doing him today would make him a political mouthpiece who was never wrong.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Slammy posted:

Fritzi Ritz (1938)

I like this uncle.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Three (January 8-11, 1952)

So in the 50's a high chair was just a hole cut in the center of a table?

Phantom Classic

You dummies! She went and blew the candle out for you so you could have the advantage of creeping up on him in the dark and then you gotta go and yell as you jump him!

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby is still rerunning last week's.

Big Ben Bolt

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Julet Esqu posted:

So in the 50's a high chair was just a hole cut in the center of a table?

Some of 'em, not all of 'em. Others were dangerous to babies in more traditional ways.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Mister Beeg posted:

Few more, from New York Daily News, May 1979. These were easier to scan since these are tabloid format.

Dick Tracy's artist back then did not know how to draw a woman's nose apparently

Notice how Spiderman's dialogue doesn't beat you over the head with the plot arc like it does today.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Lowen SoDium posted:

I like this uncle.
I know he's supposed to be a lazy layabout but to me he seems to be the only one that knows what's up and has enough self-respect not to put up with bullshit. If you want to invite people to dinner, do so without demanding they work. And a worker has every right if not a duty to fight for better treatment from their employer.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Just Toby going to the store in her flying saucer no big deal.

Rex Morgan MD

Pinky out means it's not alcohol abuse.

Secret Agent X-9

See? He does just like loving with people.

Apartment 3-G

This is not the inside of the diner.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I now desperately want that to be the case; he's going to write Margo realizing the breakdown of her reality, and Bolle's just going to draw whatever the gently caress he wants without reading the dialog as always, just reinforcing Margo's realizations.

Accidental postmodernism.
I think the thread consensus is that the writer has given up on doing anything real with A3G and is just going through the motions until Bolle retires or dies. For the record, though, the writer is a woman, Margaret Shulock. Apparently she's one of the Six Chix! (Tuesday, according to Wikipedia.)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

He stole... a dog's leash with its owner far off in the background?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Mr. Squishy posted:

He stole... a dog's leash with its owner far off in the background?

It's a deep sea diver & treasure chest ornament for an aquarium. If he had tried stealing it from an aquarium with something dangerous inside of it, like a lion fish, that would be more impressive than the others.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Oh! that makes a lot more sense. And he definitely stole it from a goldfish bowl.
Tom Gauld is now doing strips for New Scientist, the pop-sci magazine

And Rarebit Fiend with some Cronenberg poo poo

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

What the hell did she do?

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

9 Chickweed Lane 8/7/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

I get it. Predators are dumb.

Mark Trail

Who're "they"? Also, it seems Mark has stumbled upon a veritable aquatic junkyard.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If you like chauffeurs, you will love Rex Morgan, M.D.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set discusses inequality.

Working Daze has violence, calves, and an unnecessary word balloon.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix needs a new cinematographer.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

I like this uncle.

He's no

VIET
NAM
VET

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

I like Petey.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Miss me?

Mike du Jour

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Monty

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Arelon posted:

Fingerpori

In Finnish butter that's gone bad is "härski", which is also what you can call people like the letch uncle everyone has who keeps telling dirty stories and hitting on everyone.

Härski translates directly as rancid, which actually also means offensive, disgusting etc.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Retail

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Intelligent Life

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

And here I was thinking there were only three or so outcomes for tic-tac-toe.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
I really thought Intelligent Life was going to have Mike and Gwen get together and Skip cries bitter nerd tears because he's too gutless to have any self-agency. Too much to hope for anything interesting to happen in this banal crap I suppose.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Bloom County 2015

Skippy, continuing the Uncle Louie whistle stop tour. (June 8, 1928)

Peanuts (August 9, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

So who collects the kill fee?

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 5-6, 1927)

Thimble Theater (February 23, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Is he seriously about to make this entire arc just a dream? Possibly with a lazy "or was it?" stinger twist? Goddammit Batiuk you can't even commit to your terrible ideas.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way
(September 5-6, 1927)

You know, for all the cowboys gently caress with Wes, we're definitely seeing him get better at this stuff. Lately you see him taking on tougher jobs and going off on his own, and the guys are talking to him like he's one of the gang now instead of an outsider. It's neat to see the progression of his Training Comix.

Pooch Café

Ballard Street

Ronnie, baby, you don't just look for bug fights. You make them happen. http://www.japanesebugfights.com

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeeeah something got lost in translation there. Berlin has a problem with loud drunk tourists, and the mimes are part of a campaign to drive up awareness that the bar areas are usually also residential areas. They do stuff like the fingers-to-lips gesture and mime sleeping people, not as far as I know act drunk. Nobody would give a poo poo about how much you drink :v:

e: not to mention that if you go out in Berlin you'll see the consequences of overindulging all around you.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 7, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

Goddammit Batiuk you can't even commit to your terrible ideas.

Why are you surprised by that? Remember how he had Les sink the "Lisa's Story" movie for absolutely no reason?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yes, that loud obnoxious drunk is really going to calm down and sleep it off after a mute in clown makeup waggles his fingers at him. It seems like the only thing that initiative is going to accomplish is increasing the noise level when the crowds start laughing and taunting mimes.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Why are you surprised by that? Remember how he had Les sink the "Lisa's Story" movie for absolutely no reason?

True, but at least that still had some ramifications later on since it's how Les met that one actor. This is just a copout and, arguably, a less interesting copout than one where only Crazy remembers or what have you. Admittedly, that would then beg the question of why I'm surprised to be underwhelmed and frustrated by Funky Winkerbean, and I have no answer for that one.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SomeMathGuy posted:

Is he seriously about to make this entire arc just a dream? Possibly with a lazy "or was it?" stinger twist? Goddammit Batiuk you can't even commit to your terrible ideas.

One can hope that this is a set up for a new timeline where young Les killed him self to avoid the pains of his future life.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Why is nemi so full of artifacts? I don't think I could artifact an image that heavily if I tried.

• Locked thread