Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Scissors posted:

What are the overall impressions so far. Not to be a dick, but I'd prefer opinions of people that know how to block.

It is a pretty fun game that makes many of the same mistakes as SF4. Other than the drop bug it has some of the best online out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Safety Scissors posted:

What are the overall impressions so far. Not to be a dick, but I'd prefer opinions of people that know how to block.

In my opinion airdashers are the only good way to make a 2D fighter.
For something biased on a Capcom style fighter, I find this game surprisingly fun and solid mechanically (outside of hurtbox on universal crossups).
This game is a wonderful gateway drug to new players, and a simple way to "scratch the fighting game itch" among veterans.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

The Gorp posted:

His mixups have no variation at all. The scariest thing you can do is throw people.
H goes into jetcancel C only, no lows to change it up.
Crouching light is too short range to be useful in most scenarios.

You can try H jetcancel land cr.L for a low. Kinda ghetto.
And from a jump in, you can either j.H land cr.L, or j.H jetcancel j.H for a legit mixup. Easy to set up from a kinetic canceled rocket, too.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

bhsman posted:

Anyone have advice for a scrub Edge playing facing Talos? Every other character I feel like I can eventually strategize a way to use Gamma to get in or trip them up and at least compete, but against a decent Talos player I either block on wakeup and get a command grab, jump and get caught by that "Denied!" grab, or DP and he just armor-boots or vacuum-grabs me. Any advice?

Pick the projectile A special and laugh as Talos has no way to close. You don't want to get in.

Don't push anything not multi-hit inside boot range.

If you get knocked down you have to take the mixup but a backdash beats everything except a jump in (DP on reaction, though you might whiff on crossup) or the rare raw spartan rush which is real punishable.

If he's down then cross up when possible as he can't stop you if it's timed right and you get loads of time to confirm or do something safe.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 6, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I totally forgot that Alpha was multi-hit, I should try that.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Look Sharp! posted:

You can try H jetcancel land cr.L for a low. Kinda ghetto.
And from a jump in, you can either j.H land cr.L, or j.H jetcancel j.H for a legit mixup. Easy to set up from a kinetic canceled rocket, too.

I get what you're saying, but my point is twofold.
-Highs will always do more damage than lows because eight hit scaling.
-Where you can put lows are highly limited

If standing H gatlinged into C.Medium, and C.Medium went onto Rush than Vlad would have a mix-up outside of oki shenanigans or unoptimal air play.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

explosivo posted:

Can I beg for keys here? I would love to give this alpha a try :)

Just wait it out until someone posts a couple of keys or flip through a few pages and try any codes that didn't get quoted as claimed.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Friendly reminder about #risingthunder channel I have one more key to give away if you come ask me for it as well.

*my last code was claimed.

Draynar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 6, 2015

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Once you get to Legend Tier 1 you can't rank up anymore.
You can still rank down though, and that happens with a single loss. :kheldragar:

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Haven't actually played this game outside of training mode all that much until tonight, had some fun matches, a few had some bouts of unplayable lag that were pretty frustrating. Noticed there was a patch when I logged in and it appears they nerfed Dauntless KA combo off throw, you only get half the throw's damage before the juggle now so the total damage is 138, used to be more like 168. Kinda sucks for a character that already has damage issues. I'd like if they just put 5 - 10 more damage on most/all of her moves.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Gauntless is in a weird place.
Chel/Edge have better toolkits and better damage.

Dauntless plays almost like a zoner, you just keep poking people at the range where your normals connect and thiers don't.
On the bright side, Jab S1 Super is still bonkers scaling and can be abused.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man I want lobbies, every 15-25 games I'll get someone who completely kicks my rear end, or at least doesn't fall for the same reset multiple times every round, and I just want to keep running it back but I can't. It's really hard to learn how to reliably get in on good Chel's when I fight one who actually knows how to AA with buttons instead of dp every 50 games or so.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Every character has a way with dealing with Chel.

Vlad- shorthop pack forward for safe air approach or rapid overhead
Talos- Armor up or grab from a forward dash depending on the read.
Crow - Zone harder
Edge - Gets in for free
Dauntless - S1 through fireball, once you get to midrange

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Trykt posted:

Noticed there was a patch when I logged in and it appears they nerfed Dauntless KA combo off throw, you only get half the throw's damage before the juggle now so the total damage is 138, used to be more like 168.

It's not a nerf, seems like it's a new bug where the 4th hit of the throw doesn't count as part of the combo. The throw before the KA still does 50 damage, it just randomly starts a new combo count at the 4th hit.

The Gorp posted:

On the bright side, Jab S1 Super is still bonkers scaling and can be abused.

Confirming into super off jab with Dauntless will get you like 300 damage at most and 200-ish if you use multiple jabs. Not exactly seeing what's bonkers about that.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 7, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Gorp posted:

Every character has a way with dealing with Chel.

Vlad- shorthop pack forward for safe air approach or rapid overhead
Talos- Armor up or grab from a forward dash depending on the read.
Crow - Zone harder
Edge - Gets in for free
Dauntless - S1 through fireball, once you get to midrange

Well I mean yeah academically I know what buttons to press but I'd like to practice it in an actual match with some regularity

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Confirming into super off jab with Dauntless will get you like 300 damage at most and 200-ish if you use multiple jabs. Not exactly seeing what's bonkers about that.

Jab scaling normally kills damage in this game.
300 damage off of the fastest normal in the game (Faster than most DP's as well) is really nice.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Maybe this was answered before, but what do 'scaling' and 'dp' mean in the context of this game?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Maybe this was answered before, but what do 'scaling' and 'dp' mean in the context of this game?

dp = Dragon Punch, which is fighting game jargon for "invincible fast move that is generally very punishable if you whiff or it gets blocked"

scaling = the damage scaling in a combo, where the more hits in a combo the less damage each hit after it does. So while a jab might do 200 damage if you hit with it raw, if you combo three jabs together scaling might make them do 200, 170, 130 each. still better than only hitting one, but not nearly as strong as it'd be without scaling. this game in particular seems to have pretty heavy damage scaling.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

in layman's terms, scaling is what happens when a combo goes on for long enough. the longer a combo goes, the less damage a move will do in that combo so if you have a 5 hit combo into a super the super will do less damage by itself than if you just hit the super without doing a combo.

A DP is easy to explain, it's just short for Dragon Punch which is a term used to describe a move that generally rises upward and has invincibility on startup. Moves like these are your go-tos to get out of pressure because they punish people who try to push buttons at you because of the invincibility the move has, but to balance them they often have a long recovery period where you'll eat a lot of damage if you throw them out too much or at a bad time.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

You'll hear the phrase 'bait the DP' a lot which basically means that you make someone think that it's a good time to use their move, but you don't actually get hit with it and you can punish them for free

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Scaling is based solely on number of moves in a combo, with some moves (mostly ones that launch) counting as "two moves". It's not any different for Dauntless. Edge can do cr.L -> S1 -> Super and do 300 damage, and Edge's cr.L is faster and his Special 1 is safer. Talos can do cr.L -> S3 -> Super and do 300 damage. Vlad can do cr.L -> S3 -> Super and do 300 damage...

Dauntless combo damage is way lower than everybody else and super is literally the only way she can do respectable damage off of a confirm.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games
ctrl f

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Scaling is based solely on number of moves in a combo, with some moves (mostly ones that launch) counting as "two moves". It's not any different for Dauntless. Edge can do cr.L -> S1 -> Super and do 300 damage, and Edge's cr.L is faster and his Special 1 is safer. Talos can do cr.L -> S3 -> Super and do 300 damage. Vlad can do cr.L -> S3 -> Super and do 300 damage...

Dauntless combo damage is way lower than everybody else and super is literally the only way she can do respectable damage off of a confirm.

Point well made.
Can't argue with it.

So we all basically agree on tiers?

Top: Edge
High: Chel/Crow
Mid: Vlad/Dauntless
Low: Talos

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I decided to give Dauntless a try, among other characters.

Gold = Invincible right? Literally every single time I've used Vandal Hook I just get smashed out of it before the attack portion comes out.

Though my luck trying various new characters was pretty painful anyways. 6 matches in a row vs Edge . Finishing with "oh and suddenly it's 200 Ping on top"

Crow seems interesting but I keep forgetting to spam disc as much as possible. Admittedly my terrible reaction time and inability to pull air combos more complicated than one extra hit (It's a miracle I can forward advance off Talos's air grab into the spartan rush as it is) keep me going back to Talos.

EDIT: Blah. At least I made Edge in a row number... whatever work for it when I went back to Talos. but what loving good is super armor when he's got double hits comming out of his rear end, bop me with a jab after I super armor tank his DP before the grab gets him, or evades my ultra by ducking (huh, coulda sworn that would grab duck blocking people off a spartan rush every other time I've used it).

The real pain of it was I coulda won if I wasn't a loving failure at kinetic advancing into the all of one half asssed air combo I can pull off "aaand advance into a... advance into a...oh I guess my thumb is just to loving slow for this game's liking :sigh:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 7, 2015

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Talos is currently a really attractive trap.
At low and mid levels his combos are intuitive and scary, allowing you go get streaks.

The issue is I think Talos v Crow is legitimately a 2-8 matchup, and Chel is another issue entirely.
I never see kicks landed anymore, by me or the occasional other Talos player I find.
I think this problem would go away if Talos S2 was a proper reversal to gaurd crossups and better damage. Getting in is hard, staying in is hard; you should win in 4 combos.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 7, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, I keep seeing "Talos is trash tier" but he's also the only one that can appears to be able to land solid damage in the "Fisher Price's My First Fightmans" range of input dexterity, plus the newbie attractiveness of an unblockable ultra.

Crow and Chell you have to be willing to belt out their fireballs when it's beneficial too, dauntless I just can't manage to string things together to save my life and get casually hit out of "isn't Gold=invincible?" attacks, I've been avoiding edge because I know all the really dangerous ones are able to do proper combos and split second decide which move to use, which I would lack, etc.

Which reminds me of Dauntless, who seems to have no middle ground between "pinball wizard please call me the robot hospital" and "Even I can casually murder them". Either they are completely crushing me, or they are no threat at all.

Edge is the only enemy that makes me go from "Well, clearly I lost because I'm bad :saddowns:. I can already see I could have done this, or-" to "Oh my loving god really :argh:" I have no illusions about my skill level, but at least when I get my rear end handed to me by anyone else I can start to see what I could have done to prevent it, or just how I hosed up.

EDIT: oh my gently caress, 2,200 ping :staredog: yeah I think it's time to take a break for the moment with this sudden bout of holy poo poo lagspikes.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 7, 2015

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Ok my own personal Dauntless protips so far:

• Learn to use kinetic advance combos after dust breaker and throw. The risk/reward on these sucks unless you can get the extra damage and corner carry.
  • Kinetic advance is also super good after cold drill, link to a light attack cancelled into dust breaker for a knockdown.
  • Crouching M into cold drill is a really great poke, if it hits go into the KA combo above for 200 damage or hit super if it's loaded, tons of time to confirm.
  • Don't EVER poke randomly OR end blockstrings with vandal hook (the forward advancing s3). It whiffs crouchers, this is very bad. Use cold drill instead.
  • Her far target combo version of MH seems like a decent poke in general, but it's really great versus talos because it straight up beats all his armor shenanigans. I don't know why, but it does.
  • Practice optimal punishes. Dauntless needs to take every bit of damage she can get or she loses. If you have super, do close H cold drill super. If you don't have super but have a KA charge, do close H dust breaker KA MH s3 s1. If you have no meter just do the target combo into s3 s1 juggle. If you start a punish with light attacks or a throw please punch yourself in the balls.
  • Cold drill has an air version that can be used to bait dps. Try it! You can also combo into it from jumping L (diagonal jump only) which seems at least interesting for air to airs, not sure if it's good yet.

Ok that's all please feel free to correct me or add to this bullshit thanks in advance!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Trykt posted:

Ok my own personal Dauntless protips so far:

• Learn to use kinetic advance combos after dust breaker and throw. The risk/reward on these sucks unless you can get the extra damage and corner carry.
  • Kinetic advance is also super good after cold drill, link to a light attack cancelled into dust breaker for a knockdown.
  • Crouching M into cold drill is a really great poke, if it hits go into the KA combo above for 200 damage or hit super if it's loaded, tons of time to confirm.
  • Don't EVER poke randomly OR end blockstrings with vandal hook (the forward advancing s3). It whiffs crouchers, this is very bad. Use cold drill instead.
  • Her far target combo version of MH seems like a decent poke in general, but it's really great versus talos because it straight up beats all his armor shenanigans. I don't know why, but it does.
  • Practice optimal punishes. Dauntless needs to take every bit of damage she can get or she loses. If you have super, do close H cold drill super. If you don't have super but have a KA charge, do close H dust breaker KA MH s3 s1. If you have no meter just do the target combo into s3 s1 juggle. If you start a punish with light attacks or a throw please punch yourself in the balls.
  • Cold drill has an air version that can be used to bait dps. Try it! You can also combo into it from jumping L (diagonal jump only) which seems at least interesting for air to airs, not sure if it's good yet.

Ok that's all please feel free to correct me or add to this bullshit thanks in advance!

Be careful with cold drill vs good chels and edges they can punish the poo poo on block with a full combo:\

Sir_Phobos
May 24, 2011

Don't you wanna see it?
Yeah, when I played Dauntless mirror matches a few days ago, it seemed like we could punish a blocked cold drill with crouching light into whatever. I saw Hungbee playing Dauntless on Dandy J's stream, and he was canceling blocked cold drill into the the backwards-moving button-held S3 to make it more safe, and that seemed pretty cool. That's two specials on cooldown just for a blockstring, though...but at least you still have Dust Breaker.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've got nothing to say about the game yet as the two matches I tried playing last night were unbearably laggy and stuttery. I like the idea behind the game though but it's obviously got a long way to go. I'd be happy with controller rebinding working in the short term though.

Also the fact that there's no local versus is baffling.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

The Gorp posted:

Point well made.
Can't argue with it.

So we all basically agree on tiers?

Top: Edge
High: Chel/Crow
Mid: Vlad/Dauntless
Low: Talos

Mine is more like
OP: Edge, Crow
Strong: Chel, Dauntless
Meh: Talos, Vlad

But this could all change overnight, they're going to be adding new special move options for everyone soon enough.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I want new characters too.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I want one frame links

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

I want one frame links

one frame links into unblockable option select resets

also those insane anime game inputs

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
i just want airdashes, instant block, 1 frame throws and fd

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i want sentinel

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I want gems.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

NecroMonster posted:

i want sentinel

He's being piloted by a dog

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there anything that Chell has to counter Code-Drill spam? Can't uppercut it because it has armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

inthesto posted:

He's being piloted by a dog

Um, that's Gigantor.

• Locked thread