Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

While I like the idea of representing this with a color gradient, I don't really think that there is enough variation in tones to easily make out

I believe that map is from 1963, so probably was entirely handmade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Irradiation posted:

Pretty much any school with a reasonably sized research reactor is on there.

Weird that Penn State isn't on there then given that they've had a reactor since the 50s.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Pretty drat obscure, but have a guess.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Greener states.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

sweek0 posted:

rear end in a top hat drivers per square mile?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

sweek0 posted:

most liked of the first 8 Fibonacci numbers?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sweek0 posted:

Patriots fans.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

sweek0 posted:

Doctors per capita?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Kurtofan was kind of right, it's the percent of total land area covered by turf grass, per state.

From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...f-without-them/
In more detail:

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Vorpal Cat posted:

rear end in a top hat drivers per square mile?

Living in MA that was going to be me guess too.

Not surprised by the reality though. Vegetation is all around here.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

OptimusShr posted:

Also New Jersey being the darkest shade, Maryland was a toss up but it seemed believable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The fact that there's a major university there probably doesn't hurt, just eyeballing it there are a lot of college towns on the map. You can see Missouri, Michigan, UIUC, Purdue, VA Tech, TX Tech all pretty easily and I assume plenty more of the remotely located triangles are major and/or largely technical schools as well.

As far as Virginia Tech goes, there's a huge rear end military arsenal and former weapons factory right nearby too, like 7 miles from the school

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

OptimusShr posted:

Not just vegetation. Turf grass: better known as lawns. As his second map showed It's essentially a population density map hidden because they used state borders exclusively.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Not just vegetation. Turf grass: better known as lawns. As his second map showed It's essentially a population density map hidden because they used state borders exclusively.

Not really. There's a lot less lawns in cities.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not really. There's a lot less lawns in cities.

There are a lot more suburbs around cities, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

b0lt posted:

There are a lot more suburbs around cities, though.

Which are usually significantly lower population density. And when they ain't, they tend to also have a lot less lawns for the same reason the cities do.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
So, sort of a cross between distribution_of_suburbs.jpg and us_rainfall.jpg? I can see it. It helps that urban areas are already disproportionately in areas with actual water, with the notable exception of California.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a map of golf courses, which is why Phoenix is green.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

sweek0 posted:

Pretty sure that's only marginally different than population density per state.

Actually, looking it up it's pretty darn similar. How useless.

Isn't that one of the most basic rules of map making? The more your map resembles a population density map, the more pointless it is.

Per capita is almost always more meaningful for indicating... anything. By comparing the maps I can see New Hampshire likes their lawns, and the west in general can't support as much as the east (no surprise)... but I couldn't tell that from the original map alone.

Edit: Though I suppose if you just straight up did it per capita you'd end up with a map that mostly indicates how concentrated a state's population is, considering most of the discrepancies I can see are probably to do with urban centers increasing population density without increasing lawns. I mean, besides the obvious "the west is dry" thing going on. Oh well. I guess shading in whole states is a pretty bad system to use in general.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Live updated map of London twitter users complaining about the tube/Underground.

http://tubestrike.impero.wtf/

3peat
May 6, 2010

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Shameful Romania, does Mittel Europa mean nothing to you?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Interesting level for Russian in the Baltic states, I wonder if German is catching up.

Also Romanians have always loved the French.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

So is the first most useful language for everyone in the EU considered to be English, or what?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

German is a foreign language in Luxemburg?

I wonder if Swedish is considered a non-foreign language in Finland. That'd explain Russian's 2nd place, putting English at the most useful foreign language.

Edit: Heh, French is a foreign language in Belgium?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Something rotten about the state of Cyprus.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also the Irish not forgetting their glorious alliance with the Third Reich.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Carbon dioxide posted:

I wonder if Swedish is considered a non-foreign language in Finland. That'd explain Russian's 2nd place, putting English at the most useful foreign language.

Swedish is one of the two official languages so yeah. And even if it wasn't, people wouldn't consider it more useful than English or Russian.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't believe the UK said Spanish over French German.

Also yeah German should be the language preferred by the French rather than Spanish, but learning German is too hard apparently.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Cyprus's answer is unexpected.

Kurtofan posted:

Also yeah German should be the language preferred by the French rather than Spanish, but learning German is too hard apparently.

I'm guessing that the islanders, being mostly anglophone themselves consider French the most useful foreign language but disagree on second place (the discrepancy is strange, though).

Also, it is a bit surprising that Spanish is more popular than Italian in France. Any particular reason that might be?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 9, 2015

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

With this sort of map it pretty much never makes sense to use Belgium as a single unit.

Kurtofan posted:

We don't know what the first foreign language is in the UK and Ireland.

e: ok now we do

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

jakubmarian.com posted:

The map of the language voted second most useful (see below) turns out to be much more interesting. In Bulgaria, Greece, Italy, and Portugal, more people actually chose the option “none / no other language” than the language shown in the map. Note that the caption “French” for Belgium is to be understood as the foreign language of choice of the Dutch speaking part of Belgium.

Really? That many people think foreign languages other than English are worthless?

Edit: the survey quoted contains some interesting information:

quote:

Almost all respondents in Luxembourg (98%), Latvia (95%), the Netherlands (94%), Malta (93%), Slovenia and Lithuania (92% each), and Sweden (91%) say that they are able to speak at least one language in
addition to their mother tongue.

Countries where respondents are least likely to be able to speak any foreign language are Hungary (65%), Italy (62%), the UK and Portugal (61% in each), and Ireland (60%).

- 88% of Europeans think that knowing languages other than their mother tongue is very useful.
- Two thirds of Europeans (67%) consider English as one of the two most useful languages for themselves.
- Languages perceived as the most useful that come up right after are the following: German (17%), French (16%), Spanish (14%) and Chinese (6%).
-There has been a decrease in the proportion thinking that French is important (-9 percentage points), and in those thinking German is an important language for
personal development (-5 points). Europeans are more likely now than they were in 2005 to think that Chinese is an important language (+ 4 points).
-98% of Europeans consider mastering other foreign languages as useful for the future of their children.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 9, 2015

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Antti posted:

Swedish is one of the two official languages so yeah. And even if it wasn't, people wouldn't consider it more useful than English or Russian.

Actually it seems that the question was: "Thinking about languages other than your mother tongue, which two languages do you think are the most useful for your personal development?"
So Finns could have answered Swedish but it wasn't among the suggested languages and only 1% chose "Other".

Source: http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb_special_399_380_en.htm (EB77.1)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I take it they're not excluding all a country's official languages, just whatever individuals say is the second useful that's foreign to them specifically. So nearly all the Flemish are saying "French" while the Wallonians' answers are more varied.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 9, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kopijeger posted:

Really? That many people think foreign languages other than English are worthless?

I mean. how many people in England, for instance, think that a second foreign language is useful? They may claim otherwise, but in my time studying at a British University, I mainly met people who admitted to have no interest learning anything besides French or Spanish. And even their first second language would usually be kinda atavistic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

it...never makes sense to use Belgium as a single unit.

Kopijeger posted:

Also, it is a bit surprising that Spanish is more popular than Italian in France. Any particular reason that might be?
Perhaps they prefer God to women?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kopijeger posted:

Presumably because Italian is only spoke in Italy, while Spanish is a global language.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

steinrokkan posted:

Presumably because Italian is only spoke in Italy, while Spanish is a global language.

if only Columbus hadn't abandoned the glorious Republic of Genoa :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Spanish is perceived as more useful since it is a major world language, whereas Italian is limited to Italy. That was one of the things that motivated me to start learning it a few years ago. And even though it's actually useless to me professionally, in terms of 'personal development' I certainly don't regret it.

Next on the list is German.