Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Polybius91 posted:

What I like about that Yud quote is that the easy part is going to be building an AI that isn't hilariously awful at image recognition. Which has been one of the major hurdles of computer science since forever.

Shut up AI go FOOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

It was on Twitter. He was probably tweeting drunk. Hazardous occupation, trying to be funny when you're pathologically humorless.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

tbf, Yudkwosky is more the person they really really want to join their lunch table than a permanent occupant

WELL THEY SURE hosed THAT ONE DIDN'T THEY.

BobHoward posted:

Just look at this gem of a Yud quote su2su2u1 dug up.
This is straight up angsty-teen power fantasy ("my AI is gonna be SO GOOD guys serious11!!!"), and it's so obviously a product of a proud-to-be-ignorant "autodidact".

Now now, it's clearly intended as Science Fiction to instil a Sense of Wonder. With HPMOR he was still writing SF/F, just more F. Think of your MIRI donation as a Patreon for this ongoing literary work.

BobHoward posted:

Super intelligence ain't gonna compensate for the fact that the signal you're looking for is waaaaay below the noise floor of that sensing system, especially when you're loudly proclaiming super AI will need only one data point.

This is also the MIRI argument for cryonics. "But a sufficiently powerful AI ..." "No. It's hosed. You hosed it. The data is gone." "But a SUFFICIENTLY POWERFUL AI ..."

You get in there as a teen who just became an atheist, and then you're too emotionally attached to its role in your life to ever really leave, even as you begin to admit more and more of Yud's writings are garbage.

I started reading it at 43. Told you "child genius adult moron."

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

divabot posted:

This is also the MIRI argument for cryonics. "But a sufficiently powerful AI ..." "No. It's hosed. You hosed it. The data is gone." "But a SUFFICIENTLY POWERFUL AI ..."

My favorite part of this is even IF you had an AI that could reconstruct parts of a person based on archived Facebook posts and crap, there's going to be fundamental limits on how accurate a picture of a person you can reconstruct, because entropy always takes its pound of flesh. It is also nice to see someone trying to explain that, no, neurons do not work like logic gates.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
My robot god is a mighty god.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

divabot posted:

Cyronics is homeopathy for the educated idiot. Despite none of the original substance remaining, crynicists believe the water remembers an AI will figure it out.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Like that flying soda can in Destiny that scans random dead skeleton russians and makes player characters.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hate Fibration posted:

My favorite part of this is even IF you had an AI that could reconstruct parts of a person based on archived Facebook posts and crap, there's going to be fundamental limits on how accurate a picture of a person you can reconstruct, because entropy always takes its pound of flesh. It is also nice to see someone trying to explain that, no, neurons do not work like logic gates.

Can't wait for the AI that will reconstruct me based on the dozens-to-hundreds of social media posts I made while under the impression that I was straight. :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DStecks posted:

Can't wait for the AI that will reconstruct me based on the dozens-to-hundreds of social media posts I made while under the impression that I was straight. :v:

Supremely perfect AI know that posthumanist heaven-on-earth will need everyone reconstructed in perfect form: straight, white, technocratic, and libertarian. You will be remade in rationalist, social-darwinist perfection and spend the eons arguing with Yud about information theory and cryonics, even though neither of you has ever so much as taken a college course in neurology. You will see nothing wrong with that, now that your brain has been perfected by the subtle modifications needed to turn you into a bloviating shitheel droning on forever and ever after about eugenics and the glory of the market.

And you won't want it any other way. You'll see nothing wrong with it because you'll love it then

in Heaven forever and ever.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jack Gladney posted:

Supremely perfect AI know that posthumanist heaven-on-earth will need everyone reconstructed in perfect form: straight, white, technocratic, and libertarian. You will be remade in rationalist, social-darwinist perfection and spend the eons arguing with Yud about information theory and cryonics, even though neither of you has ever so much as taken a college course in neurology. You will see nothing wrong with that, now that your brain has been perfected by the subtle modifications needed to turn you into a bloviating shitheel droning on forever and ever after about eugenics and the glory of the market.

And you won't want it any other way. You'll see nothing wrong with it because you'll love it then

The indie survival horror game Master Reboot is all about how much of a nightmare this concept is when you think about it more than two seconds.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Man, I think robot hookers are a lost more feasible way to find a waifu that wants to gently caress you.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
There's an interesting Black Mirror episode about a service that reconstructs dead people from social media posts.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jack Gladney posted:

Hang on, I thought sufficiently-rational people automatically agreed, proven by Aumann's Agreement Theorem? If you're arguing then you're not smart enough, get out of Yud's heaven you fake Bayesian

"Aumann's agreement theorem, roughly speaking, says that two agents acting rationally (in a certain precise sense) and with common knowledge of each other's beliefs cannot agree to disagree. More specifically, if two people are genuine Bayesians, share common priors, and have common knowledge of each other's current probability assignments, then they must have equal probability assignments."

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

chrisoya posted:

Hang on, I thought sufficiently-rational people automatically agreed, proven by Aumann's Agreement Theorem? If you're arguing then you're not smart enough, get out of Yud's heaven you fake Bayesian

"Aumann's agreement theorem, roughly speaking, says that two agents acting rationally (in a certain precise sense) and with common knowledge of each other's beliefs cannot agree to disagree. More specifically, if two people are genuine Bayesians, share common priors, and have common knowledge of each other's current probability assignments, then they must have equal probability assignments."

A classic deepity.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DStecks posted:

It's funny because historians have been arguing for centuries about how much you can really get from a personal account of anything, since literally everything a person leaves behind is written with some sort of audience in mind (even if it is just yourself), which you have to take into account when you interpret a source and which means that there are no sources that objectively represent what a person really thinks. At least not to the degree that full personality reconstruction would require.

But I guess since a sufficiently advanced AI is indistinguishable from God that won't be a problem.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

chrisoya posted:

Actually, that's ( a perversion of) something Socrates said.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
"First, assume all participants in a conversation are frictionless spheres in a vacuum... "

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Remember that you will be mind-killed if you have any sort of actual values. However it is impossible not to have values if you have any awareness of other humans, so your values by default are those that maintain the societal status quo and prevent social change.

And people wonder why nerdlords are so conservative.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Hate Fibration posted:

"But wait, maybe all the information that's irrevocably lost in the freezing process is stuff that doesn't matter!" -an actual argument being made in that thread

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Alien Arcana posted:

"But wait, maybe all the information that's irrevocably lost in the freezing process is stuff that doesn't matter!" -an actual argument being made in that thread

The arguments for cryonics always involve a heavy dose of "but you can't prove it isn't true!", reversing the burden of proof. Also, nanobots.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
It's weird how they imagine that "intelligence" can be essentially an unbounded process (which is the only way you can invoke "sufficiently advanced AI" to solve every conceivable problem). We know nothing about intelligence beyond our own, so why do they think that they can say anything meaningful about it?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jack Gladney posted:

I thought the LW thread established that in this Heaven you'll also be a pony

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ol qwerty bastard posted:

It's weird how they imagine that "intelligence" can be essentially an unbounded process (which is the only way you can invoke "sufficiently advanced AI" to solve every conceivable problem). We know nothing about intelligence beyond our own, so why do they think that they can say anything meaningful about it?
I've figured it would be so, simply by analogy with computers; with sufficient processing power, you can simulate every conceivable scenario to find one that would lead to either the desired end or the current state of affairs. On the other hand, as we have discussed in this thread, "sufficient" is a weasely loving word, and you also need sufficient information to construct sufficiently accurate simulations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

darthbob88 posted:

I've figured it would be so, simply by analogy with computers; with sufficient processing power, you can simulate every conceivable scenario to find one that would lead to either the desired end or the current state of affairs. On the other hand, as we have discussed in this thread, "sufficient" is a weasely loving word, and you also need sufficient information to construct sufficiently accurate simulations.

For a computer to brute-force Super Mario Brothers, this comment notes that if you had a computer that could perform one computation per Planck time per Planck volume in the volume of the entire universe, it would take ~6 * 10^27570 years. But "unfeasible" is probably tawdry cached-thoughts domain expertise, not superior generally-applicable rationality.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ol qwerty bastard posted:

You don't seem to understand just how tautological they're being with the word "sufficiently".

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

"First, assume all participants in a conversation are frictionless spheres in a vacuum... "

Imagine four agents acting rationally on the edge of a cliff.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
My Dark Enlightenment name is Johnny Fiveaces

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Any Dark Enlightenment reactions over the Republican debate last night? I know the consensus is that politics is a mind killer, but from what I've seen these guys and their ilk are big Trump supporters.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

MizPiz posted:

Any Dark Enlightenment reactions over the Republican debate last night? I know the consensus is that politics is a mind killer, but from what I've seen these guys and their ilk are big Trump supporters.

Just the usual masturbating over revolution.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Looks like the three letter inquisitors will be harshing Clarkhat's mellow soon.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ronwayne posted:

Looks like the three letter inquisitors will be harshing Clarkhat's mellow soon.

Man, social justice warriors are the new Torquemadas of the world.

*writes a long blogpost defending the Spanish Inquistion*

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

God I hope so.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I meant the FBI but sure.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

I meant the FBI but sure.

What's the details?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ianmacdo posted:

What's the details?

He's making a joke because Clarkhat talked about dumping ebola on major cities because he doesn't like their politics.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Rare video footage of the Dark Enlightenment meeting where Annisimov got kicked out

https://youtu.be/rPv2I-mArD8

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite or Request > The Dark Enlightenment: *writes a new post defending the Spanish Inquisition*

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Honestly, the best argument that voting does matter, and one that might get through to these guys, is that companies are literally spending billions of dollars to influence it. Multinational companies aren't known for spending that much money on anything that won't help them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That would require believing that something the sheeple think is important actually is important, which they aren't gonna do.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
NRx is built upon incessant contrarianism in all things. Such as in believing that Trump is a genius mastermind troll as opposed to a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zemyla posted:

Honestly, the best argument that voting does matter, and one that might get through to these guys, is that companies are literally spending billions of dollars to influence it. Multinational companies aren't known for spending that much money on anything that won't help them.

No the best argument is "Does voting matter? Let's ask this Iraqi civilian about whether he would prefer a Bush or a Gore administration. Oh wait we can't because he's dead."