Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for Tshirts that are kind of nerdy but aren't too nerdy? Stuff like Last Exit to Nowhere has but that doesn't cost me like $40 in shipping. I'm in the US.

http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TO&Category_Code=ALLSHIRTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

SpartanIV posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for Tshirts that are kind of nerdy but aren't too nerdy? Stuff like Last Exit to Nowhere has but that doesn't cost me like $40 in shipping. I'm in the US.

https://www.designbyhumans.com

I have about a dozen t-shirts (and a phone case) so I can vouch for the quality. Have had zero fading or rips or anything so far.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Try to find one of these used.

Apple iPod nano 16 GB Pink (6th Generation) OLD MODEL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M3SO0Q/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_arPPvbPH1GDWK

I loving love mine. It has a built in clip so you can easily put it on your waistband or whatever and you won't notice it

I actually have one of these used if you're looking for one. I'm not sure what generation but i can check if you're interested. I don't have PMs but I can give you my email.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

All terrible.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I need a powered USB hub that is functionally rock solid. It can be plastic and cheap feeling as long as it's function as a USB hub is unquestionable. The application is for a cnc router, where it will sit in between the computer and the router. If it were to fail in the middle of a cut it could cost lots of money and time and customer satisfaction.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Comatoast posted:

I need a powered USB hub that is functionally rock solid. It can be plastic and cheap feeling as long as it's function as a USB hub is unquestionable. The application is for a cnc router, where it will sit in between the computer and the router. If it were to fail in the middle of a cut it could cost lots of money and time and customer satisfaction.
I've got this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sitecom-4-ports-USB-3-0-CMPSC-CN071/dp/B00CEBQE1M/

It's probably overkill for your situation. I assume cnc routers might not do usb 3? I needed a hub that did, that had detachable cords for power and usb and was available in the local brick and mortar store for immediate pick up. I paid a bit less than that. I plugged it in -what- four months ago? And it has allowed me to completely forget it was there. It has a couple of devices plugged into it that would cause trouble when plugged into unpowered hubs, but with the 2.5A power brick that's not a problem anymore.

Some local sites' review sections give it 4 to 5 stars; this brand doesn't seem to sell a lot in the USA or something, I don't know.

I'm sure the people in the Raspberry Pi thread can give you a decent rundown of some cheaper/usb 2 versions, because you almost can't use the thing without a powered hub.

Also, probably someone is going to mention the brand Anker. Haven't heard a bad word on their products on these forums.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Comatoast posted:

I bought on of these -
AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter
-to use with my Raspberry Pi. It works great and seems well made, I've had no problems with it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I'm convinced Topatoco just buys seconds from American Apparel. I've ordered from them twice. The first batch got holes in them and the thread came out within weeks, and the second batch were all different sizes, despite being the same size on the tag.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Any super soft duvet covers?

I like my duvet without it, but I guess for longevity I need one :sigh:

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

What is the best mop for cleaning vinyl floors?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm looking into a Life Alert-style emergency medical alarm for my parents. There are lots of companies out there. Anybody have experience with one that they like?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I need washer and dryer recommendations. Electric, side by side, new or lightly used ($1200 or so for the set), in the US. I'm prepared to craigslist troll and scratch and dent search so I'd like good brands to buy and ones to avoid but specific models (especially if new) would be fine too.

Also my wife would prefer a top loader for the washer. High efficiency / energy star being a must.

Thanks.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Totally TWISTED posted:

I need washer and dryer recommendations. Electric, side by side, new or lightly used ($1200 or so for the set), in the US. I'm prepared to craigslist troll and scratch and dent search so I'd like good brands to buy and ones to avoid but specific models (especially if new) would be fine too.

Also my wife would prefer a top loader for the washer. High efficiency / energy star being a must.

Thanks.

We have a Maytag Centennial washer/dryer combo we got from Home Depot. Fit your electric, side by side, HE, energy star, and top load requirements. Think the Bravos line is their top of the line upgraded one and should be able to be found used for your budget, ours was going into an apartment so we went with the cheaper one that we got on sale for like $700 new. Some people have problems with them around the three year mark but ours is still going strong.

take me you ANIMAL has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Jul 27, 2015

colas
Feb 14, 2007

A streaming box that plays .avi files has a usb or other memory card slot...is there a good one?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Roku 3 does that

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Roku 3 does that

I have a Roku 1 with a usb port but it only plays mp4. I got a Roku 2 and traded it to my dad for the Roku 1 because it didn't have a usb. My dad also has a Roku 3. Amazon shows that they both are supposed to have usb ports. Maybe I'm just blind.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think only the Roku 3 had it? Maybe the revised roku 2 if they did that. But yeah I remember the USB port was a bit hidden on the side. I'm not 100% sure on the files but it handled most things I threw at it. I'm not going to say it's the best method for just streaming media so check out options but it's great for all around

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Amazon shows 2 and 3 having ports, maybe they just updated them :/

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

colas posted:

A streaming box that plays .avi files has a usb or other memory card slot...is there a good one?

WD TV Live

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
I need a small indoor grilling/cooking device. Should I just go with a George Foreman grill or is there a specific something or other that I need to get? A smaller grill is preferable and price doesn't matter.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

We have a Maytag Centennial washer/dryer combo we got from Home Depot. Fit your electric, side by side, HE, energy star, and top load requirements. Think the Bravos line is their top of the line upgraded one and should be able to be found used for your budget, ours was going into an apartment so we went with the cheaper one that we got on sale for like $700 new. Some people have problems with them around the three year mark but ours is still going strong.

Ended up getting a Whirlpool Cabrio combo from HD as well, had a great sale and came in a few hundred below our price ceiling after taxes/delivery. WTW7000DW and WED7000DW.

Lunchboxx posted:

I need a small indoor grilling/cooking device. Should I just go with a George Foreman grill or is there a specific something or other that I need to get? A smaller grill is preferable and price doesn't matter.

Having owned a george foreman, I don't like it and you should just cook on your stovetop with a cast iron or maybe a griddle/flat pan setup.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Lunchboxx posted:

I own a Foreman grill and while it's lasted a good long while with moderate upkeep, listen to TWISTED. Cast iron is a beast.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
\

Lunchboxx posted:

I have a cast iron grill pan and it is a BITCH to clean. Just get something you can actually put in the dishwasher

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
The Foreman with the removable plates is great. We use ours all the time in the winter when I can't grill outside.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lunchboxx posted:

I have a Sanyo electric grill and although it's annoying to clean it gets the job done.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

turbomoose posted:

I have a cast iron grill pan and it is a BITCH to clean. Just get something you can actually put in the dishwasher

You've gotta season those things! Internet cast iron fanpeople will act like a well-seasoned cast iron pan is the most nonstick surface in the world which isn't quite true, but nothing should be fusing to it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I had my cast iron skillet covered in a layer of sugar based marinade that then burned to a crisp and all that char came off in 2-3 minutes of gentle scrubbing with steel wool.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Lunchboxx posted:

If you're considering a foreman consider one of these

Cuisinart GR-4N 5-in-1 Griddler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YD99Y4/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_xTpXvb4XY0XRB

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
\

Glottis posted:

You've gotta season those things! Internet cast iron fanpeople will act like a well-seasoned cast iron pan is the most nonstick surface in the world which isn't quite true, but nothing should be fusing to it.

I have seasoned it, but in my experience that doesn't last when you use high heat (which is what you want for a lot of grilling). People act like you just season it once an viola but it is both a pain to season it and a pain to clean when you dont.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pooper scoopers for my back yard with two dogs. Everything I've seen looks to be a cheap piece of plastic.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I used to work pet retail, and Precision Pet scoopers were pricey, but seemed well-made and are all metal. I know their crates are high quality.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

turbomoose posted:

I have seasoned it, but in my experience that doesn't last when you use high heat (which is what you want for a lot of grilling). People act like you just season it once an viola but it is both a pain to season it and a pain to clean when you dont.

It's just oil. You put the oil on the pan. Don't put the hose on the pan, just rub that oil in and it'll act like a nice moisturized skin. Paper towel and oil, that's great. If you don't have oil, butter can do in an extreme pinch. Just keep that on there and rub it in like you're going to take that skin off and wear it.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

It's just oil. You put the oil on the pan. Don't put the hose on the pan, just rub that oil in and it'll act like a nice moisturized skin. Paper towel and oil, that's great. If you don't have oil, butter can do in an extreme pinch. Just keep that on there and rub it in like you're going to take that skin off and wear it.

This was pretty solid, imo

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn people, cast iron pans don't serve the same purpose as a foreman grill. It's like asking for a decent instant coffee and instead getting a bunch of suggestions for roasting your own beans and doing pour-overs instead.

But yeah whatever you get make sure the plates are removable so it's actually quick and convenient to use and clean.

Danger Mahoney has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Aug 8, 2015

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Danger Mahoney posted:

Goddamn people, cast iron pans don't serve the same purpose as a foreman grill. It's like asking for a decent instant coffee and instead getting a bunch of suggestions for roasting your own beans and doing pour-overs instead.

But yeah whatever you get make sure the plates are removable so it's actually quick and convenient to use and clean.

I have a 2 sided cast iron griddle and grill that fits across two burners, and it's much better than a George Foreman. Want paninis? Pair the slotted grill side with a panini press. I grill meats and veggies on it all the time.

Clean the slotted grill side with a soft bristle brush and you won't scar the seasoning.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I need some good coasters that absorb water from condensation, is there such a thing?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Drogadon posted:

I need some good coasters that absorb water from condensation, is there such a thing?

cork

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Drogadon posted:

Yes! You want some Thirsty Stone sandstone coasters. My mom bought me a set in the '90s and they're only now worn enough to need replacing. They soak up condensation and they'll never stick to your glass. Goddamn I'm buying new ones right now because of you. :argh:

http://amzn.com/B001CKSZ2M

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Thanks guys, I like how those sandstone ones look so ordered some to try. Always a pleasure to influence people to spend money haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Drogadon posted:

I got some persian rug coasters from eBay, they really tie the room together.