Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It was rumored that the datacenter space used to launch the XBox version of Neverwinter was mostly taken from STO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

It was rumored that the datacenter space used to launch the XBox version of Neverwinter was mostly taken from STO.

They genuinely gave that shitheap an XBox version? What, were they hoping they'd get in because there's barely any XBox MMOs?

Taking resources from STO to give to Neverwinter's failures is basically cryptic tradition now, though.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Supposedly it did quite well over there and console gamers might not really know what they are getting into with cryptic and mmos so poisoning the well for that market.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

MikeJF posted:

They genuinely gave that shitheap an XBox version? What, were they hoping they'd get in because there's barely any XBox MMOs?

Taking resources from STO to give to Neverwinter's failures is basically cryptic tradition now, though.

Given that most stuff is 60$ out of the gate now, and sometimes 100 if you get a season pass for it, 'total poo poo, but basically free' looks better and better.

On PC it's harder because you have a big backlog of cheap good stuff. But on console, with less competition, I bet they make out pretty well.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Given that most stuff is 60$ out of the gate now, and sometimes 100 if you get a season pass for it, 'total poo poo, but basically free' looks better and better.

Ain't this the goddamn truth. The Destiny season pass taught me "Never... Never again... :catstare:"

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
What's totally crushing my spirit right now is that I got back into destiny for Dinklage and the Wolf-Time, but then I finally said 'let's check out Warframe. It's been around forever and I never checked it out.'

As far as I can tell it's better in every way, and they're going to be releasing a new parkour parcour? parqueuxre. patch that let's you do wicked sick poo poo like look down in front of you and jump back and up automatically to shoot down on something that's coming after you. And like, wall jumps are easier to do now.

You get guns and swords and space magic and your sword can block bullets. You can grab ledges. You can customize the color of every goddamned thing.

So it's better in every way. I even like how it looks more.

But for some reason, it isn't as much fun, due to, god help me, game feel :smithicide:

What's wrong with me?

nuklear
Dec 16, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What's totally crushing my spirit right now is that I got back into destiny for Dinklage and the Wolf-Time, but then I finally said 'let's check out Warframe. It's been around forever and I never checked it out.'

As far as I can tell it's better in every way, and they're going to be releasing a new parkour parcour? parqueuxre. patch that let's you do wicked sick poo poo like look down in front of you and jump back and up automatically to shoot down on something that's coming after you. And like, wall jumps are easier to do now.

You get guns and swords and space magic and your sword can block bullets. You can grab ledges. You can customize the color of every goddamned thing.

So it's better in every way. I even like how it looks more.

But for some reason, it isn't as much fun, due to, god help me, game feel :smithicide:

What's wrong with me?

As much as a lovely experience Destiny turned out to be, the gunplay is still top notch.

Warframe was far too clunky when it first came out, maybe it's improved now but it felt like I was a fat guy with diabetes in both legs trying to move around, so stiff.

also 20% lobi sale is live, maybe i'll finally pickup a Jem'Hadar ship

nuklear fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 6, 2015

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

As janky as Warframe can sometimes be, part of the fun is mastering the jank. Like... Getting good at Devil May Cry 2 verses Bayonetta 2...

Go to any point in any of these videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNlILp26RdIrU8EnT2OwWxj0D8Y89ZRT_ and see if you think learning to do that might be fun. If so, then the jank doesn't matter.

AotC
May 16, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Whatever percentage of server virtual machine space it runs on probably shrank a ton and only now are these fundamental issues coming to light since there is no longer any hardware overhead to absorb it.

Cryptic's back end doesn't really use virtual machines. Also their services don't really scale, so more machines != more performance. So unless they want to drop their single beefy use machines for even bigger ones they probably wouldn't do much.

Most likely they needed to add speed and couldn't get the budget to upgrade their hardware so they decided to fix it in software. That or they finally have time to work on their giant backlog of performance upgrades.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What's totally crushing my spirit right now is that I got back into destiny for Dinklage

Enjoy your bored Peter Dinklage while you can. They're patching him out.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
They need to get Nolan North to rerecord Worf.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

g0del posted:

It's sad how much emergent gameplay Cryptic has removed over the years. No more pink beams, no more chain explosions over ESD, no more bridge of death. They ended killing NPCs on ESD/Qo'nos, and I'm pretty sure they stopped the D'Deridex console trick which made DS9 so fun. They even killed cover shields on Risa.
One of the small, pointless things that Cryptic removed a really long time ago that I really miss was when you could take red shirts in place of bridge officers. There was literally no point at all to doing this but it was hilarious because when they died instead of being able to revive them you just hit a button on the party UI (which I think is still there and just doesn't do anything now) and beamed in more security guys so you could just pave your way with a bridge of expendable security personnel corpses.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
How long does it take for published things to show up in the Foundry? I submitted yesterday, got a "It is Published" notice about 5 minutes later, but can't find it under the Foundry search system. Admittedly the search system sucks pretty bad, but I should be able to find it. Do Foundry missions need review after "Publishing"?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

They don't show up until you get 5 ratings. It's in another tab of the foundry right now.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Insert name here posted:

One of the small, pointless things that Cryptic removed a really long time ago that I really miss was when you could take red shirts in place of bridge officers. There was literally no point at all to doing this but it was hilarious because when they died instead of being able to revive them you just hit a button on the party UI (which I think is still there and just doesn't do anything now) and beamed in more security guys so you could just pave your way with a bridge of expendable security personnel corpses.
You still can choose security officers instead of bridge officers.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lorak posted:

You still can choose security officers instead of bridge officers.
Yeah but nothing happens when you do. Or at least it didn't the last time I checked which is many many months ago when I last logged in.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Acer Pilot posted:

They don't show up until you get 5 ratings. It's in another tab of the foundry right now.

Which other tab? I'm only seeing the main "Foundry" tab under "Hail Starfleet".

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

It'll be Under Review or some such heading, which you don't get to see until you hit the little checkmark agreeing to be a foundry reviewer.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
What's the name of the mission? I'll run/review it tomorrow and help get it on the real mission list.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9488023

Season 11: A New Dawn, over a radioactive wasteland of autism and poor design choices.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Goat Pillager posted:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9488023

Season 11: A New Dawn, over a radioactive wasteland of autism and poor design choices.

Ships as doffs?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
All my mothballed ships might actually be useful!

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Flying toaster and Fecal Facade will get destroyed honorably

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm guessing to minmax the new system you need a roster of ten different T6 ships.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Will this loving game die already!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
No, it's been reborn as a Kobali.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Hey cool now that WoW copied the doff system they'll copy its dumbshit naval missions.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

BombermanX posted:

Flying toaster and Fecal Facade will get destroyed honorably

Your Rectal Regatta shall cleanse the black sea of pubbie filth.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

MikeJF posted:

I'm guessing to minmax the new system you need a roster of ten different T6 ships.

More like 10 different FULLY-EQUIPPED ships.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is there such a thing as 5 minute YouTube videos or concise and brief build guides for this game? I swear to god every single video for this game is a 45 minute snoozefest wherein some nerd rambles where no man has rambled before while slowly paging through menu after menu.

I just want to know how I should be building my tactical captain as I level up. :mad:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
There is a wiki but it's not exactly current. Some poo poo will still be good like skill point distribution but before you go for a specific ship build you should ask because some of it is expensive and/or time consuming.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Got to admit, I'm looking forward to Season 12, when the armada system is finally functional, and before they nerf it into uselessness in Season 12.5 :v:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Got to admit, I'm looking forward to Season 26, when the armada system is finally functional, and before they nerf it into uselessness in Season 20.5 :v:

same

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Siets posted:

Is there such a thing as 5 minute YouTube videos or concise and brief build guides for this game? I swear to god every single video for this game is a 45 minute snoozefest wherein some nerd rambles where no man has rambled before while slowly paging through menu after menu.

I just want to know how I should be building my tactical captain as I level up. :mad:

For skills I just followed the hilbert guide.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Guess I'm going to have to get around to un-boxing all those event ships sitting in my bank. I wonder if they'll upgrade the current max ship slots.

Siets posted:

For skills just use the guide on the wiki. If you want to trivialize the levelling content, ask in chat for spare weapons - a handful of the people who still log in spend time crafting mk II beams hoping for a good set of modifiers, and they trash 99% of what they make. For boff powers, go ahead and look at the wiki guides and use as many as you can fit in the lower level ships. Missions are designed to be completable by pubbies with no idea how to fit a ship using whatever random white/green gear they've picked up, so an actual planned ship will destroy everything.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How do I get access to this wiki everyone keeps referencing? Is it a goon-maintained one or a public one?

Also wondering if I get extra experience from doing missions on Advanced or Hard instead of Normal?

vvv Laaaaame. :mad:

Siets fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 7, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Siets posted:

How do I get access to this wiki everyone keeps referencing? Is it a goon-maintained one or a public one?

Also wondering if I get extra experience from doing missions on Advanced or Hard instead of Normal?

Advanced or Hard boosts rewards for killing poo poo a tiny bit, in exchange for making enemies have a lot more HP and take way longer to kill. Don't bother with it

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The wiki is linked in the OP, to get access to it you have to beat Grimrak at Bloodbowl though.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Siets posted:

vvv Laaaaame. :mad:

I put the wiki up, so goon run. https://wiki.wesleyguide.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

MikeJF posted:

Worse, the roster will need to be all *science* ships. /hopeI'mkidding

• Locked thread