Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Joke has already been made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

[PER 10] Joke has already been made.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Welp, I think this latest announcement of no level cap has broken most of you, there is no longer a divide between those being ironic and unironic.

I used Marxist critical gaming theory to dialectically transcend the dichotomy between ironic and unironic. Others have also followed this path.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

That's really untrue though. Low reputation with Legion meant assassins came after you. Low reputation on Freeside meant you were as likely to get shot by the kings as the beggars punching you did. Low reputation on the strip meant certain quests were more difficult to complete and some people acted like total stuck-up jackasses compared to a high reputation.

Low reputation with the Khans, Powder Gangers, Brotherhood of Steel and others meant they'd shoot on sight. I mean, some quests also checked it, for instance legion spies in the NCR and the like, so what exactly more do you need from a system like this?

But that's the thing, it is still just as binary and 2 dimensional as karma was, except it's different between areas. People either love you to death or hate you and attack you, inbetweens don't matter and in the case of Freeside you can just cheat.

Oh and F3 karma existed in New Vegas too and it was probably worse since you could only increase it and it would increase even by just walking around since Raiders and Ghouls were considered Evil for some reason. Karma also did Jack poo poo other than give you a different tone of ending in every DLC.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Games are simulations, so you have to simplify reality in order to model it. People have spent pretty much all of human history debating the nature of morality, so I'm not surprised that in creating game systems the most that designers are capable of are good / evil dynamics.

That being said, I think karma is a lovely system for role playing purposes, and it would be best to scrap it in favor of faction reputations. With good writing you can make various factions stand in for various world-views that go beyond a good / evil dichotomy, and get to other more interesting ideas (e.g. The Empire in Morrowind opposes slavery, but they're also a colonizing force that is trying to exploit Vvardenfall for its resources; House Telvanni is a sort of libertarian mage collective that values intellectual freedom, but also dabbles in unsavory magic, and has no problem with slavery).

You still have polar love / hate relationships to factions, but at least you can align yourself with the one that most clearly represents your character's ideals.

Unfortunately, Bethesda's last 3 games have been more interested in hero's journey narratives, and they're also supposedly taking more narrative control in FO4, so I would imagine that it's going to be another good / evil system.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Mordaedil posted:

Reputation system allowed the game to track what each group of people thought of your character, as opposed to generally how good or bad he was and even accounted for what they thought of you if you kept flip-flopping on the issue. How is that bad?

First and foremost because it was just another broken karma system, but also because it was so loving wacky. "You gave Private Goober and his buddy stimpacks, buuuuuuut you did murder an entire camp of rangers (which, even though there were no witnesses, we still know you did). We have mixed feelings about you..."

It was probably a good idea in theory and on paper, but certainly not the finished product.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Bholder posted:

But that's the thing, it is still just as binary and 2 dimensional as karma was, except it's different between areas. People either love you to death or hate you and attack you, inbetweens don't matter and in the case of Freeside you can just cheat.

Oh and F3 karma existed in New Vegas too and it was probably worse since you could only increase it and it would increase even by just walking around since Raiders and Ghouls were considered Evil for some reason. Karma also did Jack poo poo other than give you a different tone of ending in every DLC.

*one DLC

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

Karma was essentially ignorable in New Vegas. Also, the way reputation was better was that it wasn't 2-dimensional. Again, people had a different reaction if you had high rep, did a bunch of bad stuff and then did good stuff again. The NPC's literally tell you to make up your mind about whose side you are on. There is a limit to how much can be done with this, again, so what exactly do you suggest be done to improve this?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordaedil posted:

Karma was essentially ignorable in New Vegas. Also, the way reputation was better was that it wasn't 2-dimensional. Again, people had a different reaction if you had high rep, did a bunch of bad stuff and then did good stuff again. The NPC's literally tell you to make up your mind about whose side you are on. There is a limit to how much can be done with this, again, so what exactly do you suggest be done to improve this?

I'm sure that Bholder, since he definitely isn't an idiot, will take this into consideration and reply with a well thought out counterpoint that isn't massively hypocritical and makes sense.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mordaedil posted:

Again, people had a different reaction if you had high rep, did a bunch of bad stuff and then did good stuff again. The NPC's literally tell you to make up your mind about whose side you are on.

When does this happen

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

frajaq posted:

When does this happen

One example is if you choose to nuke a faction at the end of Lonesome Road and then later come back to them as an operative through the main quest most of the named NPCs will express their disgust for you, but acknowledge that you're necessary for their larger plans. This is a pretty extreme sequence break, and the results are goofy as poo poo, but they did at least write that contingency into the game's script.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

frajaq posted:

When does this happen
When you have a mixed reputation score.
Reputation in New Vegas wasn't exactly a binary thing. It tracked both fame (positive reputation score) & infamy (negative score) separately. There are some interactions that change when you for example do them with full fame and no infamy, vs full fame and some infamy.
Granted, it's generally just one line. But it's there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's cool in principle but I remember having a 'wild child' reputation with the NCR even though I never consciously did anything to hurt them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

It's cool in principle but I remember having a 'wild child' reputation with the NCR even though I never consciously did anything to hurt them.

That was a glitch they fixed in one of those "Fallout-complete" style mods. It was "Mild Child", you were well within the norms.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Raygereio posted:

When you have a mixed reputation score.
Reputation in New Vegas wasn't exactly a binary thing. It tracked both fame (positive reputation score) & infamy (negative score) separately. There are some interactions that change when you for example do them with full fame and no infamy, vs full fame and some infamy.
Granted, it's generally just one line. But it's there.

There are still only 3 situations that are important: They don't know you, they love you, they want to kill you, inbetween really doesn't matter.

I think it's only NCR that has any point having points beyond friendly or infamous since certain quests requre a minimum amount of fame and if you are too infamous you can lock yourself out of those quests. But other than that it's just whether they want to attack you or give you free stuff.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its an improvement over whether or not the Regulators hate you and come after you or Talon Company hates and comes after you all the time. Beth could probably improve on Reputation if they make certain groups weary each other and you could be seen as some sort of sleeper agent if you've been known to be very friendly to the Brotherhood or expand it to where killing hundreds and thousands of raiders makes you something of a scary urban legend to average NPC Joe, regardless of if you're known to be Wasteland Jesus or Literally Hitler.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Looks like this son of a bitch has been giving water to beggars. Lock and load, boys.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Phlegmish posted:

Did you do a lot of crouching in areas the NCR owned? The game keeps track of stuff like crouching. That, and how long you spend in cells flagged as bathrooms; the longer you hang out in bathrooms, the worse your reputation will be with a given faction (except the Kings for some reason, in which case you gain positive reputation).

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Crabtree posted:

Its an improvement over whether or not the Regulators hate you and come after you or Talon Company hates and comes after you all the time. Beth could probably improve on Reputation if they make certain groups weary each other and you could be seen as some sort of sleeper agent if you've been known to be very friendly to the Brotherhood or expand it to where killing hundreds and thousands of raiders makes you something of a scary urban legend to average NPC Joe, regardless of if you're known to be Wasteland Jesus or Literally Hitler.

It was a negligible improvement at best.

Also, reputation in New Vegas is ultimately meaningless until halfway through the game when you get to Vegas because you get an automatic reset with the only two factions that reputation comes close to mattering with.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Did you do a lot of crouching in areas the NCR owned? The game keeps track of stuff like crouching. That, and how long you spend in cells flagged as bathrooms; the longer you hang out in bathrooms, the worse your reputation will be with a given faction (except the Kings for some reason, in which case you gain positive reputation).

what is this real?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

mrking posted:

what is this real?

Yes, crouching is considered stealing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

mrking posted:

what is this real?

Yeah NV was very badly programmed

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

mrking posted:

what is this real?
You clearly haven't been paying attention to CoP's posting in this thread.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That, and how long you spend in cells flagged as bathrooms; the longer you hang out in bathrooms, the worse your reputation will be with a given faction (except the Kings for some reason, in which case you gain positive reputation).

The Kings respect those who spend a lot of time on their hair.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

JackBadass posted:

[INT 1] Also, reputation in New Vegas is ultimately meaningless until halfway* through the game when you get to Vegas because you get an automatic reset with the only two factions that reputation comes close to mattering with.

*Actually about 1/4 through the game, even less if you're playing all of the DLCs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Karma is literally pointless in all Fallout games; the only moral action that matters is the "child killer" perk, and that's separate from karma, and only exists in some versions.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Karma is literally pointless in all Fallout games; the only moral action that matters is the "child killer" perk, and that's separate from karma, and only exists in some versions.

I agree. Even reputation should probably be put to bed. I'd like to see them just have competent script writers who give most major quest results actions further down the line.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Seeing as this is going to incorporate elements from Skyrim anyway you'll just see NPCs react to quest you've done, how high your skills/perks are, if you've married or slept with them and if you're their landlord and Governor of Penisville, Boston.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

sector_corrector posted:

[INT 0]Actually about 1/4 through the game, even less if you're playing all of the DLCs.

[FAILED] Once again, not the point of the comment, sector_corrector.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crabtree posted:

Seeing as this is going to incorporate elements from Skyrim anyway you'll just see NPCs react to quest you've done, how high your skills/perks are, if you've married or slept with them and if you're their landlord and Governor of Penisville, Boston.

Nobody in Skyrim reacted to anything that mattered. You could have served all the evil Daedra gods, and nobody would bat an eyelid; you could have murdered all the guards in an attempt to free the barbarian tribes, and there would be no reaction, and don't get me started on the Thief and Assassin Guilds; in short, there being elements of Skyrim just points towards moral elements being non-existent.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody in Skyrim reacted to anything that mattered. You could have served all the evil Daedra gods, and nobody would bat an eyelid; you could have murdered all the guards in an attempt to free the barbarian tribes, and there would be no reaction, and don't get me started on the Thief and Assassin Guilds; in short, there being elements of Skyrim just points towards moral elements being non-existent.

But play the Companions questline and endure random guards asking you about the fur in your ears forever regardless of whether you're still a werewolf or not!!!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shugojin posted:

But play the Companions questline and endure random guards asking you about the fur in your ears forever regardless of whether you're still a werewolf or not!!!

*is leader of the companions decked out in daedric armor*

i hear you're the new companion, what do you do, fetch mead????

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

JackBadass posted:

[FAILED] Once again, not the point of the comment, sector_corrector.

What is the point of the comment, if not the thing that you said?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not saying the NPCs will say anything that matters. What I'm saying is get ready to hear is variations of "WHEN ARE YOU GONNA FIX THE loving ROOF" and "Conjure me a warm Bed" a billion loving times in between the reference jokes that will surpass arrow in the knee.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crabtree posted:

I'm not saying the NPCs will say anything that matters. What I'm saying is get ready to hear is variations of "WHEN ARE YOU GONNA FIX THE loving ROOF" and "Conjure me a warm Bed" a billion loving times in between the reference jokes that will surpass arrow in the knee.

I hope to be hit by a car before this game gets made.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

There are still only 3 situations that are important: They don't know you, they love you, they want to kill you, inbetween really doesn't matter.

I think it's only NCR that has any point having points beyond friendly or infamous since certain quests requre a minimum amount of fame and if you are too infamous you can lock yourself out of those quests. But other than that it's just whether they want to attack you or give you free stuff.

That is a lot of complaining and no suggesting what could be done to change it or make it feel more realistic.

Like seriously, what do you even want? There's only so many things and states a video game can account for. Even something like the Nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor essentially work under the same principle. And it's not as if there aren't individual trackers per NPC for how much they like you, which is then applied with a modifier to the faction reputation.

Really, what more do you want?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mordaedil posted:

That is a lot of complaining and no suggesting what could be done to change it or make it feel more realistic.

Like seriously, what do you even want? There's only so many things and states a video game can account for. Even something like the Nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor essentially work under the same principle. And it's not as if there aren't individual trackers per NPC for how much they like you, which is then applied with a modifier to the faction reputation.

It's fine not to have a rich tree of interactions, but the game should't pretend to be the interactive War and Peace if it can't deliver.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

steinrokkan posted:

They've paid attention to their fanbase and want to market to their specific needs. The only thing more horrible than a meme is one that was meticulously designed and forced into being.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

steinrokkan posted:

You know what to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

Personally not every NPC needs to give a poo poo about the player. I know I keep saying they should handle it like the Witcher, but they really should. It really nailed the player being a character that had to make ambiguous decisions that didn't have clear outcomes, and it's okay that the result of those decisions isn't impacting the way placeholder NPCs respond to you. What's important is creating situations that make the player have some sort of investment in their choices.

Doesn't hurt if there are consequences to them as well. Main point is that the world shouldn't revolve around the player, especially a dude who was conked out for 200 years or whatever the gently caress and then started roaming around doing a bunch of random poo poo in a wasteland where no one knows who he/she is.

Part of the reason I liked NV over Skyrim is that everyone sort of magically knew that you were the Dragon Born in Skyrim. That really bothered me. In New Vegas people only really acknowledge you depending on how much work you've done for their faction, they don't just exclaim "Oh poo poo, courier six!"

• Locked thread