Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LingcodKilla posted:

The Chinese capsule actually being in working order. Sexy time floating around in her undies. I could go on but I actually liked the film overall.

Actually you're right, I'm sure no real spacesuit is anywhere near that easy to put on and take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, because you can't get propel yourself with a fire extinguisher in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3xyqfCZmSU

Seriously, she doesn't fly there. She uses it to redirect herself and cut some of her momentum. She was already flying there because of being ejected from the capsule, which was continuing to move because of the soft-landing jets being fired.

I don't have a problem with the propulsion. Are you telling me that two space stations where in some kind of synchronous orbit where they appear stationary relative to each other? And even if this were the case, thrusting yourself straight towards an object in another obit will not move you to that orbit.

Would it be possible to perform orbital transfers using a fire extinguisher? yes. Would what she does in the movie work? No.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Using the fire extinguisher to propel yourself is certainly possible. The problem is doing so with such precision that you push yourself into another object's orbit with calculations all done in your head in a panic.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Unless the extinguisher is spraying chrome all over space I fail to see where this is relevant :colbert:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Unless the extinguisher is spraying chrome all over space I fail to see where this is relevant :colbert:
She was the satellite on which everyone had a show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Using the fire extinguisher to propel yourself is certainly possible. The problem is doing so with such precision that you push yourself into another object's orbit with calculations all done in your head in a panic.

I mean, I call bullshit on even being able to look west and see another space station with the naked eye. Even if it was visible, isn't the whole premise that there's a poo poo-ton of debris in orbit right now? sure most of it is in this big cluster that's not due back yet, but seeing it, aiming at it, and being able to do the orbital transfer, if it was possible, wouldn't be anything like what's show in the movie. I wouldn't care about poo poo like this as much if it wasn't the most basic, stripped-down generic survival story.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

She was the satellite on which everyone had a show.

:lol: Way to bring this back on topic. I laughed a full minute at this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Snak posted:

the most basic, stripped-down generic survival story.

Isn't that the movie where two people float around and worry about how there might be sharks?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Isn't that the movie where two people float around and worry about how there might be sharks?

I actually meant that the emotional and character elements were stripped down. But I haven't seen Open Water so I don't know if it's as shallow and uninteresting as Gravity.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

chitoryu12 posted:

Everything is in her orbit because she doesn't let go. Gravity.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
How many sets of nipple clamps do you think we'll see in the next Mad Max movie? How many sets of nipple clamps would you like to see in the next Mad Max movie? Do you think we'll ever get a lady with extra boobs in a Mad Max movie?

Please stop talking about Gravity

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
In all seriousness, I would like to see more casual fetish wear a la Road Warrior, especially on positive or neutral characters. It's all part of the weird Mad Max aesthetic for me, and it'd be fun to bring it back without the kinky/queer-coded = deviant = bad guys associations. Say a random Wasteland good Samaritan appears to give directions to the nearest resources, and they just happen to be absolutely covered in piercings. No remarks or explanations, just roll with it.

And bring the sax back, if only to establish a pattern that every odd-numbered Max film includes an improbable saxophone moment.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Crisco Kid posted:

In all seriousness, I would like to see more casual fetish wear a la Road Warrior, especially on positive or neutral characters. It's all part of the weird Mad Max aesthetic for me, and it'd be fun to bring it back without the kinky/queer-coded = deviant = bad guys associations. Say a random Wasteland good Samaritan appears to give directions to the nearest resources, and they just happen to be absolutely covered in piercings. No remarks or explanations, just roll with it.

And bring the sax back, if only to establish a pattern that every odd-numbered Max film includes an improbable saxophone moment.

Very yes. I have seen many people whose first Mad Max movie was Fury Road, who then went back and watched the original trilogy and said they were glad the BDSM chic wasn't carried over. Obviously they are uncultured philistines with bad opinions. And yeah, having more good characters wearing it would be even better, and given how much Fury Road examines the original trilogy's own tropes and themes, I wouldn't be surprised if it were to actually happen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

How many sets of nipple clamps do you think we'll see in the next Mad Max movie? How many sets of nipple clamps would you like to see in the next Mad Max movie? Do you think we'll ever get a lady with extra boobs in a Mad Max movie?

Please stop talking about Gravity

Heavy post man.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

got the wife a fire stick today with the tangenital bonus of making it so much easier to stream fury road on tuesday

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Efexeye posted:

got the wife a fire stick today with the tangenital bonus of making it so much easier to stream fury road on tuesday

I had no idea that this:

was a thing that existed and assumed you were talking about one of these:

And I was very confused. It's... Australian, I guess? And all Australian things come with a copy of every Mad Max film ever plus every episode of Neighbours.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Very yes. I have seen many people whose first Mad Max movie was Fury Road, who then went back and watched the original trilogy and said they were glad the BDSM chic wasn't carried over. Obviously they are uncultured philistines with bad opinions. And yeah, having more good characters wearing it would be even better, and given how much Fury Road examines the original trilogy's own tropes and themes, I wouldn't be surprised if it were to actually happen.

Fury Road was actually about how tyrannical Immortan Joe was about what body mods and fashion were acceptable.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Returning to comparing Fury Road to other films, because I just saw Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

I'll skip the talk on how samey the plot was (long story short, it's the same plot beats you've seen a billion times) and talk about how the female lead is treated. Rebecca Ferguson does a pretty good job in her double-agent character (it's literally her entire character from her first appearance, not a spoiler) and she really does display agency and badass skills through the film. She's somewhat inferior to Ethan Hunt, but that's because in the Mission Impossible series everyone is inferior to Ethan Hunt. He's practically a Mary Sue.

The big problem is that Christopher McQuarrie (sole writer and director) repeatedly shoots her in gratuitously sexy ways for little reason except eye candy for the boys. Almost every appearance she makes for the majority of the film has her showing skin or wearing form-fitting clothing to show off her curves. There are multiple shots where she's shown off to the camera when it's completely unnecessary. Best example, she saves Tom Cruise from drowning by stripping to panties and a tank top and diving in after him. As they tumble through the current, her barely clothed rear end is repeatedly spun around in front of the camera in full focus. It's the conclusion of a tense underwater scene, and McQuarrie still felt a compulsion to sexualize the woman when she's being heroic. As she's changing into dry clothes later, he obviously chooses to show her back center frame as she goes topless and just barely avoids a clear glimpse of nipple. The Golden Triangle for that angle is all half-naked woman.

The end result is that there are multiple shots where Rebecca Ferguson could have been replaced by a pin-up poster of a Playboy model hurled into shot by a production assistant and had the exact same relevance to the film.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Something I just noticed, when Furiosa nudges the unfortunate pursuit vehicle into the giant tornado, the rear wheels of the War Rig start to lift off the ground too. She almost got drawn into it as well.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're on the opposite end of the truth:

Fury Road is 'just a movie'. It's not any different from hundreds of other movies. Like, people are overjoyed to notice that actors in the scene are doing things, and so-on - when the reality is, of course, that this is true in any movie. Fury Road is not better than, say, Battletruck.

But the healthy response to this fact is not your lame conclusion that all these movies are equally bad, but the realization that all these movies have always been good.

Wait a minute! There's a film out there called Battletruck (or Warlords of the 21st Century as Google tells me it's better known as) that stars both Michael Beck and John Ratzenberger! I need to see this yesterday!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Wait a minute! There's a film out there called Battletruck (or Warlords of the 21st Century as Google tells me it's better known as) that stars both Michael Beck and John Ratzenberger! I need to see this yesterday!

I love Battletruck, though contrary to what SuperMechagodzilla has said, saying that Mad Max: Fury Road is a little better than it is not the "opposite end of the truth."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxsFiVRX6BE

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Shadeoses posted:

Something I just noticed, when Furiosa nudges the unfortunate pursuit vehicle into the giant tornado, the rear wheels of the War Rig start to lift off the ground too. She almost got drawn into it as well.

Awesome. Perfect in every way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hedenius posted:

Battletruck is dope as hell. They use the postapocalyptic setting as a way of grounding a swords and sorcery kind of story. It's my favorite postapocalyptic car movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hedenius posted:

I like to think of it as a sequel to Megaforce, with Beck's character taking the name of his old commander from the unit.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP_h152ftBM

Kill count + car count

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The bug that Nux eats is forgotten, but the lizard isn't? Pffft. :mediocre:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Did anyone else catch that the gas pedal for the People Eater's Rig has a bunch of (Australian, I assume) coins shaped like a $ ? Pretty cool little detail.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Panfilo posted:

Did anyone else catch that the gas pedal for the People Eater's Rig has a bunch of (Australian, I assume) coins shaped like a $ ? Pretty cool little detail.

No, but I noticed his shifter was a revolver.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This video just further shows the ridiculous, almost extreme level of detail in the film. There's at least half a dozen kills I didn't even notice (I had no clue the Valkyrie actually shot someone off the back of the Gigahorse or that the first Pole Cat guy was shot while still on the pole), but even just the costumes and props.

TerminalSaint posted:

No, but I noticed his shifter was a revolver.

Same with the spotlight on the Peacemaker.

Edit: I think it's time for us all to remember that the People Eater has boob cuff links.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 9, 2015

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

chitoryu12 posted:

Edit: I think it's time for us all to remember that the People Eater has boob cuff links.

And a gasmask codpiece.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Panfilo posted:

Yup. I love it. I also noticed Nux's gas pedal before I could hear any of the dialogue saying his name; my hearing's really poor and I had to looked up everyone's names (except Max and Furiosa) after the movie was over.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

During the Santo Domingo festival [in Managua] some people cover themselves in a mix of grease and motor oil to pay promises to the saints while others wear masks and costumes.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managua)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Panfilo posted:

And the War Rig's accelerator is a Brannock Device(http://brannock.com/).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AlternateAccount posted:

And the War Rig's accelerator is a Brannock Device(http://brannock.com/).

Like everything else, it serves a purpose, too. When you extends the measure it hold the pedal down, so you can leave the drivers seat confident that the rig is still driving forward.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

YOU WILL RIDE ETERNAL WITH ME TO THE PLACE OF HAPPY TREES

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

not that anyone here cares since y'all are a bunch of pirates but the legal stream hits in less than 12 hours

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Finally saw it at the cheap theater last night, and wow I really regret not seeing it earlier. Only problem I had was I didn't like how some action scenes looked all sped up, but I don't know if that was the movie or the dollar theater's lovely projectors.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're on the opposite end of the truth:

Fury Road is 'just a movie'. It's not any different from hundreds of other movies. Like, people are overjoyed to notice that actors in the scene are doing things, and so-on - when the reality is, of course, that this is true in any movie. Fury Road is not better than, say, Battletruck.

But the healthy response to this fact is not your lame conclusion that all these movies are equally bad, but the realization that all these movies have always been good.

I'm not really sure where you got that I said "all these movies are equally bad", I specifically said it was "good, just not great" in comparison to one other movie. I just said I didn't find the movie to be the religious experience that everyone was frothing at the mouth about.

My issue was the hype more than anything, I had extremely high expectations that simply were not met. That is not a fault of the movie, really, and it's being pedantic to say "it's good not great" - I mean by any stretch a movie where you don't notice the time go by should be in the "great" category. But for me, "great" means I'm still thinking about it, I'm just barely restraining myself from watching it again, I'm digging deep into alternate theories and forums posts by superstars to learn even more secrets to bolster my obsessions. This didn't happen with this movie for me.

One of the reasons I came to this thread was to see if I was missing something big, but it turns out that it just wasn't my cup of tea. :unsmith:

Enjoy your movie goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Possibly Chicken posted:

Finally saw it at the cheap theater last night, and wow I really regret not seeing it earlier. Only problem I had was I didn't like how some action scenes looked all sped up, but I don't know if that was the movie or the dollar theater's lovely projectors.

That's the director's style. Road Warrior does it as well like in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co8vGjEz-xU

• Locked thread