Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm really, really happy with Bombshells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
I think this might be the right place to ask. I received and read The Killing Joke yesterday (the deluxe hardcover) and was a bit confused by the short segment after what I assume was the original story. I'm talking about the guy who plans to kill Batman just to do one really bad thing in his life. Who is he? What is the point of this story, if there is any?

Edit: Now that I know what Batman Black and White is, it makes more sense. I thought it was supposed to be connected to TKJ at first. Thanks vvv

FeastForCows fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 4, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FeastForCows posted:

I think this might be the right place to ask. I received and read The Killing Joke yesterday (the deluxe hardcover) and was a bit confused by the short segment after what I assume was the original story. I'm talking about the guy who plans to kill Batman just to do one really bad thing in his life. Who is he? What is the point of this story, if there is any?

It's an out-of-continuity story written by the guy who drew The Killing Joke. It was originally a part of the Batman Black and White series (which is excellent in its own right), and was coloured and added to TKJ to up the page count.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The new coloring in that edition of The Killing Joke is garbage. Get the book with all of Alan Moore's DC stories instead.

Hopefully the animated version has the psychedelic look of the original printing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There were a few Batman stories from that era with some really intense, vibrant colors. I was really glad to see that kind of thing come back in Capullo's Zero Year. Just dope rear end splash pages soaking in bright blues and magentas.

e: if we're talking about weird disconnected stuff packaged in TPBs my favorite is this utterly out of nowhere Batman/Alan Scott team-up that's in the back of the Man Who Laughs TPB, which is a post-Year One retelling of Joker's first appearance from back in 1940 or whatever. It's by Brubaker too but it has not a single Goddamn thing to do with the main story.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 4, 2015

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

The new coloring in that edition of The Killing Joke is garbage. Get the book with all of Alan Moore's DC stories instead.

And the one of his Superman stories. That's a great collection.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I actually really like the Deluxe Edition colouring, especially the flashback sequences, though it does make it feel somewhat more... modern, I guess, and melancholy where the original was a manic nightmare.

I would love it if the movie is crazy hued though.

Travis343 posted:

There were a few Batman stories from that era with some really intense, vibrant colors. I was really glad to see that kind of thing come back in Capullo's Zero Year. Just dope rear end splash pages soaking in bright blues and magentas.

e: if we're talking about weird disconnected stuff packaged in TPBs my favorite is this utterly out of nowhere Batman/Alan Scott team-up that's in the back of the Man Who Laughs TPB, which is a post-Year One retelling of Joker's first appearance from back in 1940 or whatever. It's by Brubaker too but it has not a single Goddamn thing to do with the main story.

I think Made of Wood was even longer than The Man Who Laughs, wasn't it?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, I think the new colouring works better in some places.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
DC ususally adds in a "bonus story" written by the main comics writer or artist, usually an older piece of work, to boost up page counts. In "Whatever Happened to the man of tomorrow" I think they added in For the Man who has everything, and some Superman/Swamp Thing crossover, both written by Moore. For "Whatever Happened to the Cape Crusader" they added in Batman: Black and White world and some Secret Origins story both written by Gaiman. None of these stories have anything to do with the main story.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
To be fair the made of wood story isn't bad, but yeah it was pretty confusing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I always liked the Alan Scott/Gotham thing because it implies Batman's issue with Hal/Guy/etc is basically "Pfft... you're not the real Green Lantern"

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I finally got around to reading Prez #2.

I wish Prez would last forever.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
God I wished that it was DC's Captain Marvel, doesn't do great in floppies but enough digitally to keep it going for years.

I almost wish it was a Vertigo book just for the extra prestige.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm honestly not sure why it's not. There's no implication that it takes place in any version of the DCU, which as we all know turns into a bad rip-off of Terminator in about 20 years, not this, and Vertigo would give more leeway with content.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Vertigo would give more leeway with content.

It certainly doesn't feel like the comic is held back at all to me.
I think it's fantastic that mainline's doing it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 5, 2015

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Post-Convergence they're pushing the idea that they don't only make DC New 52 books, they can print anything. The DC You advertising is, at least sort of, trying to tell you this without outright saying it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Omega Men #3 continues the latest tradition of this series satisfying me to the last page with each issue while simultaneously making me nervous that the whole story will crumble as soon as any resolution begins. Here's another take, by which I mean, a take that agrees with me and is therefore valid.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From next week Red Hood/Arsenal preview

Just look at the variant cover

:swoon:

Also, Medri keeps being the bees' knees with his art

:haw:

I LOVE this series :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

From next week Red Hood/Arsenal preview

Just look at the variant cover

:swoon:

Also, Medri keeps being the bees' knees with his art

:haw:

I LOVE this series :allears:

They are horrible murders and better heroes should have kicked their asses by now.

What kind of bullshit is a Freelance vigalante. Oh I know it's just a fancy word for Assassin. Seriously why has no DC Hero kicked these morons asses yet.

Also I have not payed too much attention to the backstories of this series. But what is Roy's backstory here. Roy in the old Universe did not become a murderer until he went completely insane, in a horrible comic. So whats his deal here.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 7, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Seriously why has no DC Hero kicked these morons asses yet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I've never understood what the deal is with those sticks jutting out of the backs of guns, they look so ugly.

This is really, really funny.

MonsterEnvy posted:

They are horrible murders and better heroes should have kicked their asses by now.

What kind of bullshit is a Freelance vigalante. Oh I know it's just a fancy word for Assassin. Seriously why has no DC Hero kicked these morons asses yet.

Dude, that's the best way to make a living, especially for heroes. Why worry about your day job when your day job is getting hired to slaughter evildoers and save innocent people? It's the perfect set up for a heroic story. Basically every Dungeons and Dragons party too, but you don't see them going "I can't kill this lich and his army of evil or I'll be just as bad!".

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 8, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I see Jason is taking the "be his own man" thing very seriously.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I'Why worry about your day job when your day job is getting hired to slaughter evildoers and save innocent people? It's the perfect set up for a heroic story. Basically every Dungeons and Dragons party too, but you don't see them going "I can't kill this lich and his army of evil or I'll be just as bad!".

Yes since the rich would never hire you to do evil.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

I've never understood what the deal is with those sticks jutting out of the backs of guns, they look so ugly.

This is really, really funny.

Dude, that's the best way to make a living, especially for heroes. Why worry about your day job when your day job is getting hired to slaughter evildoers and save innocent people? It's the perfect set up for a heroic story. Basically every Dungeons and Dragons party too, but you don't see them going "I can't kill this lich and his army of evil or I'll be just as bad!".

No word best exemplifies heroes like "slaughter".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes since the rich would never hire you to do evil.

Doesn't have to be the rich. Payment may not even be in money, but instead room and board, or a kiss on the cheek. Such is the style of the romantic wandering mercenary. Plus there's government jobs, like Samus Aran does.

If corrupt rich people did hire you, you'd find out what was going on and foil them, that's narrative 101. Probably still even take your reward through loopholes in your contract.

Madkal posted:

No word best exemplifies heroes like "slaughter".

Agreed, unironically.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

They're meeting GordoBats on the next two issues (4 and 5)

So you might get your wish

quote:

Also I have not payed too much attention to the backstories of this series. But what is Roy's backstory here. Roy in the old Universe did not become a murderer until he went completely insane, in a horrible comic. So whats his deal here.

Well, Roy was never a proper sidekick to Ollie on the N52. He was just his tech and weapons guy, once that they had a fallout Roy became Arsenal to show Ollie he could be a hero on his own. This version of Roy has never had an aversion to lethal force so he and Jason understood each other pretty well.

Oh and Roy has wanting to be a mercenary since the start of RHATO

CharlestheHammer posted:

I see Jason is taking the "be his own man" thing very seriously.

Well, he's sticking around for Roy's sake, that on itself is a huge development for him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One day we will finally get that comicbook portraying Blackwater in a positive light, and what a great day that will be.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

One day we will finally get that comicbook portraying Blackwater in a positive light, and what a great day that will be.

Hey man, Blackwater sucks and I loving hate it, but just because the Soviet Union sucked too doesn't mean all communists are inherently evil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Hey man, Blackwater sucks and I loving hate it, but just because the Soviet Union sucked too doesn't mean all communists are inherently evil.

There isn't really such thing as a non-terrible PMC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e: Also, obviously it didn't stick but I think we can, in hindsight, name The Joker a hero for his valiant attempt.

e: Quote isn't edit :/

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Madkal posted:

http://www.wired.com/2012/07/blackwater-chronicles-billy-tucci/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Also, obviously it didn't stick, but I think we can, in hindsight, name The Joker a hero for his valiant attempt.

e: Quote isn't edit :/

Indeed, without him we wouldn't have Jason as Red Hood today

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Why hello there great day.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Indeed, without him we wouldn't have Jason as Red Hood today

Truly it's a tragic tale.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

There isn't really such thing as a non-terrible PMC.

I can't even think of any non-terrible normal militaries but I don't see you shouting down any and all stories where soldiers work directly for a government.

Besides, the kind of mercenary I'm talking about is a much smaller outfit. Angel Investigations is a good example of the same thing, they loving rock, or the kind of stuff your average RPG heroes get up to. Don't be in such a rush to demonize and generalize concepts just because Jason Todd is doing it. "Hero-ing as a job" doesn't translate to "Blackwater". It's like equalising Superman and some Garth Ennis parody.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The art would be pretty good if the costume designs weren't so completely poo poo. How the hell is Bruce OK with Jason running around with guns and trading on his status as a Bat-partner to get hired to shoot people? Or poo poo, since Bruce is dead, why hasn't literally any other Bat-family member showed up to shut this enterprise down?

So he's his own man now...but he's wearing a big red bat symbol and advertising himself as "Rent-a-Bat" and he's being paid to shoot people with guns. I think I've been turned around on this whole issue, Red Hood is actually still a supervillain and he's a pretty good one after all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

The art would be pretty good if the costume designs weren't so completely poo poo. How the hell is Bruce OK with Jason running around with guns and trading on his status as a Bat-partner to get hired to shoot people? Or poo poo, since Bruce is dead, why hasn't literally any other Bat-family member showed up to shut this enterprise down?

This is pretty confusing. Maybe they see it as legitimate professional security and not Punisher-esque superheroics. But like D_T said, BatGordan is gonna fight them soon, so maybe it'll be addressed then.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Bruce is dead

You should catch up on Batman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

You should catch up on Batman.

I know he's got a superpowered Siri chair now, is he seriously already back in Snyder's book too? Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Travis343 posted:

I know he's got a superpowered Siri chair now, is he seriously already back in Snyder's book too? Christ.

He was back in the very first issue of the new storyline. The non-readers are the only people who think he is dead (Alfred, Julia, and Gordon and the exceptions)

• Locked thread