Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Ty1990 posted:

The Joseph Randle poo poo is so funny to me. Here's a guy who is so talented that he barely touched the ball last year.

I realize Murray was a loving bull and they were running him until he couldn't run anymore, but you don't just keep talented players on the bench.

I don't personally think he's that talented and I'm not really into him at his current ADP, but the argument for him here is as a 8-10th round keeper and there's no reason to think he can't provide flex numbers. He's got a history of production (albeit in limited carries), he knows the system, there's not a lot of competition, there aren't many RBs walking the steet that could come in and immediately be good enough to be a bell cow, the team around him is more than competent, and the line in front of him are road graders.

This is not Toby Gerhart rolling over Peterson's wake on his way to a starting gig on a dogshit team, this isn't a total unknown Montee Ball getting (rightfully) snubbed by a noted rookie hater. Randle after like the 7th is at the very least a solid RB3 for all intents and purposes and at that point in the draft, you're not likely to find that at all, especially not someone with, should the cards fall right, have low-end RB1 potential.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the guy who wants to keep him is also getting Hill in the 10th? Basically that means if you keep Randle in the 8th, you pretty much only need to take whatever the best RB is available in the first 5 rounds and use all of your other picks on WRs and your team will probably be stacked.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Remember when Monte Ball was a rookie getting coached by John Fox

No, because he wasn't a rookie last year.

He was just a sucky running back and when his coaches realized this he was phased out of the lineup.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

RVProfootballer posted:

Watt could regress 20% and still blow DL#2 away by 50 points. He gives you better than Gronk positional advantage. He's legit 1st round value in your league, though you need to figure out if you can wait and nab him early 2nd or so based on other people underestimating him.

I got pick 7 and am tempted to go Gronk and then JJ...but RB is soooo raw after that..

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Papes posted:

No, because he wasn't a rookie last year.

He was just a sucky running back and when his coaches realized this he was phased out of the lineup.

If you drafted Montee Ball last year you made your own bed, tbh. He couldn't block and anyone who knows anything about Peyton Manning knew that he wouldn't be staying on the field if he couldn't figure that poo poo out ASAP. I'm really referring to his rookie season when he was a consensus top-40 pick for the same reason why idiots ranked him so high last year, while proving even less going into 2013 than he had into 2014.

I know it's easy to say hindsight and whatnot, but I had exactly 0 shares of Gerhart and Ball last year for these exact reasons and I'm much happier for it.

e: actually I might have gotten auto-drafted or stuck with a falling Gerhart in one league and hated it the entire time and dropped him by like week 4

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the guy who wants to keep him is also getting Hill in the 10th? Basically that means if you keep Randle in the 8th, you pretty much only need to take whatever the best RB is available in the first 5 rounds and use all of your other picks on WRs and your team will probably be stacked.

Oh I don't argue with that. Randle would be worth an 8th round pick for sure. I was mostly just addressing FCS who said on the last page that Randle could outright win you the league if he pans out. His ceiling is nowhere near that.

If I'm a Cowboys fan I'm thrilled if Randle can give them 1,100 yards with DMC's corpse chipping in a couple hundred as well. Randle isn't near talented enough to win anybody a league behind any o-line.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

If I'm a Cowboys fan I'm thrilled if Randle can give them 1,100 yards with DMC's corpse chipping in a couple hundred as well. Randle isn't near talented enough to win anybody a league behind any o-line.

Not at his current ADP, no, but as an 8th round keeper coupled with Hill as a 10th? That could be a league winner if you don't ruin the top of your draft.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Not at his current ADP, no, but as an 8th round keeper coupled with Hill as a 10th? That could be a league winner if you don't ruin the top of your draft.

This is where it shows how much touchdowns mean in fantasy. This isn't scientific as I'm too lazy to really look, but what would 1,100 and 5 TD's be with 30-40 catches? A middle tier #2? I don't see *that* being a league winner. But 1,100 and 10 TD's paired with Hill, yea you could be right.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

In a league where yards are 10/pt and full PPR, that would be about 200 points, give or take 20 points, when you add in the receiving yards; 230-260 if he scored 10.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Also, I should also say that if Dallas doesn't bring in another RB by the time camp is over considering DMC is already hurt, it would show that they are 100% all in on Joseph Randle and either they see something that I don't (and they are smarter than I am) or they are just the stupidest front office in the league (I don't see that).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ty1990 posted:

This is where it shows how much touchdowns mean in fantasy. This isn't scientific as I'm too lazy to really look, but what would 1,100 and 5 TD's be with 30-40 catches? A middle tier #2? I don't see *that* being a league winner. But 1,100 and 10 TD's paired with Hill, yea you could be right.

1100 and 10 TDs is Hill. 1100 and 5 tds is more a Gio Bernard

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Ty1990 posted:

The Joseph Randle poo poo is so funny to me. Here's a guy who is so talented that he barely touched the ball last year.

I realize Murray was a loving bull and they were running him until he couldn't run anymore, but you don't just keep talented players on the bench.

It's actually something that happens with some regularity. I mean, Forsett averaged like 5-6 touches per game over the three years leading up to his 1500 yard / 8TD season at age 29. I wouldn't write Randle off just because he didn't steal snaps from Murray.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 7, 2015

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

It's actually something that with some regularity. I mean, Forsett averaged like 5-6 touches per game over the three years leading up to his 1500 yard / 8TD season at age 29. I wouldn't write Randle off just because he didn't steal snaps from Murray.

This is fair.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

10th round RBs' total annual points aren't so important, because they exist to fill in for your bye week #2 RB, or as handcuffs, or occasionally for weird matchups. Or trade fodder. What matters a lot more is if you can identify and take advantage of the best 2-3 performances they had in the year, which takes a lot of luck usually. Secondarily what matters is the insurance they provide against one of your better RBs getting badly injured or arrested or something, so you don't wind up scraping the scum of the waiver wire for your RB2 slot in an emergency... which means a decent floor for your 10th rounder is also a good thing. The potential to have some kind of epiphany and become a great player may be there but it's always a longshot. So sure, after the above considerations, maybe you keep a guy like Randle on your bench just in case... especially in keeper leagues. But you still dump him as soon as you need the bench slot for someone who is better right now, and that's all you'd expect for with a 10th-round keeper.

I like keeping Randle for a 10th round pick, because he's probably a ~6th-7th round value.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

If you drafted Montee Ball last year you made your own bed, tbh. He couldn't block and anyone who knows anything about Peyton Manning knew that he wouldn't be staying on the field if he couldn't figure that poo poo out ASAP. I'm really referring to his rookie season when he was a consensus top-40 pick for the same reason why idiots ranked him so high last year, while proving even less going into 2013 than he had into 2014.

I know it's easy to say hindsight and whatnot, but I had exactly 0 shares of Gerhart and Ball last year for these exact reasons and I'm much happier for it.

Last year about this time the news we were reading was that they'd been working on Ball's blocking all summer and the coaches and Peyton were both really happy and he'd made all kinds of improvements. And honestly he didn't stink that much, he was underwhelming but what really killed him was this kid C.J Anderson turned out to be amazing. They put in him on an occasional play and he was just blindingly better. So when Ball got injured, C.J. was the obvious winner and now Ball is going to have a hard time making a case to rise above RB3.

Without C.J. and without the injury, Ball would have turned in an underwhelming season, no doubt. But it wouldn't have been quite the total disaster it turned out to be. And it's a good lesson in not believing coachspeak hype about a player when they say poo poo like "no he's really much better at protecting the passer now, he worked really really hard!" about anyone. Don't believe in big improvements until you actually see them in competitive play.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 7, 2015

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I still doubt he sees over 100 targets, honestly. And of those, I doubt that more than 75 are legitimately catchable. I'm willing to bet he doesn't clear 70 catches.

e: If he gets over 170 pts in a PPR, 10yd/pt league, I will pen a 2,000 word essay to the majesty that is Andy Reid's mustache.

He was 3 catches short of 70 last year. I'd ask if you're sure about making that bet but you're already :toxx: and your toxx falls under 1ppr by the way as you didnt specify.

Also, no QB last year threw for more than a 70% completion rating.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

God loving dammit :negative:

I don't even care about him for fantasy, I don't have him on any team right now. It's just... poo poo, what a waste of talent. If he gets less than a year's suspension I'll be surprised.

And the Niners just cannot catch a goddamn break this offseason. Wow.

I was quasi-confident even after Harbaugh left, but I threw in the towel on the season when WIllis left. I'm expecting what Vegas also is expecting, a 6-win season.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Hey, Randle keeper guy here. The pick would be Randle for a tenth and Hill for a ninth. I'm totally down with the "Randle is worth a 10th as at least an RB3" mindset. I just think Kelce may be even more valuable as a 10th.

The way I see it, TE is going to be a complete crapshoot this year with Kelce, Olsen and Gronk really the only guys I feel good about. Graham is on a new team that's going to have to completely reevaluate their offensive philosophy for him to return numbers people have come to expect from him. After that, would anyone be surprised if Eifert, Rudolph, Bennett, ASJ, Reed, Miller, Ebron, Daniels etc... Finished in the top 10? I can legitimately see a case for any of those guys.

With that said, as a Murray owner last year it's basically my wet dream that the Cowboys use Randle like they did Murray last year. Cowboys play their first preseason game two days before my keepers need to be in. I'll probably use all that time to make a decision. At least I know now it definitely isn't a clear cut decision.

ZIGfried fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 7, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Suave Fedora posted:

He was 3 catches short of 70 last year. I'd ask if you're sure about making that bet but you're already :toxx: and your toxx falls under 1ppr by the way as you didnt specify.

Also, no QB last year threw for more than a 70% completion rating.

I did the math assuming 1 PPR. 70 catches for 700 yards and 5 TDs would be 175 points and I lowballed a bit because I HATE TIGHT ENDS :shopkeeper:

e: if you want to call it 180, I'll make it a 2,500 word essay and I will donate money to the WWF and adopt a walrus.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 7, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Suave Fedora posted:

I was quasi-confident even after Harbaugh left, but I threw in the towel on the season when WIllis left. I'm expecting what Vegas also is expecting, a 6-win season.

Don't forget losing Davis, Iupati, Borland, Justin Smith, Culliver, and Cox. SF's defense is an absolute garbage fire, and Smith may have actually done himself a favor by avoiding the entire season because he was just about the only good player left for offensive linemen to focus on shutting down.

I almost can't blame him for relapsing.

OK actually I totally can, hit-and-run DUI? Again? gently caress that guy, I hope he goes to prison. Being an inveterate 49ers homer only goes so far.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I did the math assuming 1 PPR. 70 catches for 700 yards and 5 TDs would be 175 points and I lowballed a bit because I HATE TIGHT ENDS :shopkeeper:

Splendid.

I want to be as helpful as possible so I thought up some adjectives you are free to use when constructing your upper-lip epic:

brushy, bristling, vivacious, alpha male-shaming, gladiator-like, turgid

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Suave Fedora posted:

Splendid.

I want to be as helpful as possible so I thought up some adjectives you are free to use when constructing your upper-lip epic:

brushy, bristling, vivacious, alpha male-shaming, gladiator-like, turgid

Which one do you want to do? Because I like the 180 points one, because if I'm going to lose this bet I better get a loving stuffed walrus out of the deal.

I will however take the original out of honor and not try to eke out an extra 10 points.

vvv e: deal :hfive:

I'll have my sister knit him a little chiefs polo maybe :q:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 7, 2015

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
^ do the 180. the adopt a walrus is worth it alone.

Leperflesh posted:

Don't forget losing Davis, Iupati, Borland, Justin Smith, Culliver, and Cox. SF's defense is an absolute garbage fire, and Smith may have actually done himself a favor by avoiding the entire season because he was just about the only good player left for offensive linemen to focus on shutting down.

I almost can't blame him for relapsing.

OK actually I totally can, hit-and-run DUI? Again? gently caress that guy, I hope he goes to prison. Being an inveterate 49ers homer only goes so far.

Oh trust me, I didn't forget. I just didn't care any more after the resignations starting rolling in like a hot wind.

Aldon Smith is a grade A idiot and maybe some day he'll grow up, before he kills someone.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I hope Navorro Bowman isn't borked because he's the only guy who can tackle on a defense that's going to be on the field for 40 minutes a game and I have him as a 22nd round keeper.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dandy Kaiser posted:

If you drafted Montee Ball last year you made your own bed, tbh.

I drafted Montee Ball in the 2nd, and Gerhart in the 4th last year. My keepers were loving Percy Harvin and Michael Crabtree.

I somehow managed to finish in 2nd place (out of 10 teams).

Trading Gerhart away hours after the draft and snagging CJ Anderson saved my soul.

This year I'm keeping LeVeon Bell in the 3rd, and CJ Anderson in the 18th :getin:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

RCarr posted:

I drafted Montee Ball in the 2nd, and Gerhart in the 4th last year. My keepers were loving Percy Harvin and Michael Crabtree.

Trading Gerhart away hours after the draft and snagging CJ Anderson saved my soul.

This year I'm keeping LeVeon Bell in the 3rd, and CJ Anderson in the 18th :getin:

Sup CJA in the 18th buddy :respek:

Hill in the 10th, Charles in the 12th, Anderson in the 18th; .4PPR, 2 RB and FLEX :getin:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
NIners released Aldon Smith

:rip: D/ST stud, it's been a good run

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any MyFantasyLeague gurus in the house? I'm trying to test out their auction format before my dynasty startup draft next weekend (I'm commish), and the only way to do so seem to be to schedule an actual draft. Do I just schedule two drafts, and just stop and null the results of the first once i've finished testing? Or do they have some sort of sandbox or mock auction draft option i'm missing?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Intruder posted:

Arian Foster's surgery was a success and his timetable is 2-3 months

So much for Dr Chao :v:

7th round?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cervixalot posted:

Any MyFantasyLeague gurus in the house? I'm trying to test out their auction format before my dynasty startup draft next weekend (I'm commish), and the only way to do so seem to be to schedule an actual draft. Do I just schedule two drafts, and just stop and null the results of the first once i've finished testing? Or do they have some sort of sandbox or mock auction draft option i'm missing?

You can just make a new league, copy the settings, and invite people. You only need to pay for the league if you want in season management, otherwise its basically just a mock draft that plays out over the season like a best ball league.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

RCarr posted:

Sup, high-round Montee Ball & Leveon in-the-third drafter.

It was a rough season for me but I escaped relegation.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Alright, commish of my league, most of the same guys have been there throughout our 6 years, wants to make it a keeper league NOW. I said that is really unfair because everyone always had drafted for just a single season. I mean 1-1 I am going Luck, so whatever you think about that, some will be blessed with a bunch of young talent, and others have guys that aren't keeper worthy, once it starts the young studs aren't going to be in the draft pool for years. So I said we should start NEXT season, so we can focus our drafts this year on keepers, if we want. Your guys take on this situation?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Absolutely not. That's bullshit. If you want to do keepers you let it be known before the draft, and then keepers start NEXT year.

I can almost guarantee the commish has some awesome young talent and this rule benefits him.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah at worst that's some straight up bullshit, but at best it's just a super dumb way to do keepers.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah you have to start from a blank slate, so sure make it a "keeper league" in name whenever you want but you have to start by drafting everyone fresh.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I don't mind starting a keeper league based off of last year's results if you're only doing a league with like one keeper and/or there are limits on how many year's guys can be kept, because if you're drafting a team with absolutely no youth your team probably sucks anyway, but those are very specific types of leagues and as a general rule, yeah, it's much better to start keeper leagues from a blank slate.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Michael Corleone posted:

Alright, commish of my league, most of the same guys have been there throughout our 6 years, wants to make it a keeper league NOW. I said that is really unfair because everyone always had drafted for just a single season. I mean 1-1 I am going Luck, so whatever you think about that, some will be blessed with a bunch of young talent, and others have guys that aren't keeper worthy, once it starts the young studs aren't going to be in the draft pool for years. So I said we should start NEXT season, so we can focus our drafts this year on keepers, if we want. Your guys take on this situation?

Out of curiosity what young talent does he have

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Metapod posted:

Out of curiosity what young talent does he have

Rodgers and Cobb, probably would keep an older stud or not keep 3, he is cool, I don't know, I will look up who brought it up, and look at their team.

e; the guy who brought it up has Luck, Mike Evans, Jeffery, Beckham Jr., and Jamaal Charles.

CASE SOLVED.

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 7, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The most important thing with leagues with continuity is you discuss and announce rules changes the offseason before the year before they are implemented. This is valuable when it comes to preventing your leagues from going up in flames.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
When we transitioned to keepers it was for the following season using that draft as a template. You guys need to vote on the rules too. Preferably before the draft or have the round decided ahead of time if you're going to do that.

We ended up with:

2 keepers of anyone after the 5th round
3 year contract
1 round penalty per year
Waiver pickups are a 12th to start
Keeper status is maintained in a trade to the receiving party, same for contract status

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah, I just emailed the commish so it wasn't in front of the league, like his personal email because yahoo league email goes through like 25% of the time. Brought up who the guy who suggested the idea has, and said it has to be next year. I posted on the board the same thing in a broader sense before posting here, it was a very boring day at work so read a lot of fantasy stuff, so thought it had to be next year. You guys cemented it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
So how is Odell Beckham going to be worth a late first round pick as a sophomore with a tiny sample size?

• Locked thread