Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Rules question: do impact templates ignore the cover bonuses for the model who is the original target? Eg I shoot a shotgun at link team leader, if I succeed the 4 link members behind him will all get hit too. When calculating hit rolls, does the link leader get a cover bonus? Damage, does link leader get the bonus? I assume that cover bonuses definitely don't apply to any of the other link members hit by the template.

(I am aware link team rules don't effect any of this directly, just a way of referring to the models hit rather than A, B, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeLefts
Dec 27, 2012

Think about the shotgun shell exploding on/infront of the prime target. No-one gets cover.

"Troopers affected by a Template Weapon cannot benefit from the +3 MOD to ARM/BTS for Partial Cover."
"Against an Attack with a Template Weapon that required a Roll to hit—whether it was an Impact Template Weapon or an Intuitive Attack—, each affected enemy may make a separate Face to Face Roll against the attacker."

So if 3 people are under the template, they all have to ARO for themselves; agnostic to the results of the others.
Unlike in N2 where the leader could save his Linkteam friends with a good dodge, they all have to save themselves now.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Really? Seems like the non-template rounds are completely useless for shotguns even against single models then, unless you are up against models out of cover. If the original target beats my model by shooting, does the template still go off?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Genghis Cohen posted:

Really? Seems like the non-template rounds are completely useless for shotguns even against single models then, unless you are up against models out of cover. If the original target beats my model by shooting, does the template still go off?

No. The template only goes off if you actually hit. not sure if you have to wound or not. Besides, non-template rounds do more damage. Only use template rounds if you can hit multiple models.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Rules question: do impact templates ignore the cover bonuses for the model who is the original target? Eg I shoot a shotgun at link team leader, if I succeed the 4 link members behind him will all get hit too. When calculating hit rolls, does the link leader get a cover bonus? Damage, does link leader get the bonus? I assume that cover bonuses definitely don't apply to any of the other link members hit by the template.

(I am aware link team rules don't effect any of this directly, just a way of referring to the models hit rather than A, B, etc)

The To hit roll is affected by cover, so you get -3 to BS
The Armor roll is not affected by cover, so your opponent doesn't get the +3 to ARM

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Any goons with a Ko Dali miniature (the new one) has anyone had any issues cleaning her asspistols on theirs? The sort of flash mold points on mine are right where the barrels are meant to be so I'm going to have to sort of drill my own barrels onto flat weapon ends if I actually want to have any. Anyone else have this issue?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yup, there's no recess in the barrels so you have to file them flat and either drill them or just dot them black.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Huh, that's a bit daft. Guess I'll drill mine into the guns like some sci-fi bullet brick.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Fanzay posted:

No. The template only goes off if you actually hit. not sure if you have to wound or not. Besides, non-template rounds do more damage. Only use template rounds if you can hit multiple models.

Exmond posted:

The To hit roll is affected by cover, so you get -3 to BS
The Armor roll is not affected by cover, so your opponent doesn't get the +3 to ARM

OK, thank you. Makes more sense. I still say, that at least for the basic shotguns my faction has, negating the cover ARM bonus is worth more than the AP shot, assuming the target is in cover and <6 ARM, which a lot of models are!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Unless you're shooting a TAG or a target without cover, use the template.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Corbeau posted:

You what? Come again?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

use da template boss cuz the ap ain't dat efficient like, innit

Just got outta a game with a good buddy of mine, playing around with some lists to learn the Combined Jazz and last minute swapped around my list to cram in an Umbra Legate Hacker, who was absolutely loving boss.

Combined Army
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

Group 1 9 0 0
SKIÁVORO Lieutenant Plasma Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, CCW. (52)
UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (15)
UNIDRON (Forward Observer) Plasma Carbine / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (15)
UNIDRON Missile Launcher, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 20)
UMBRA LEGATE Hacker (Hacking Device Plus) Boarding Shotgun, Flash Pulse / Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 43)
KO DALI Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, D-Charges / 2 Assault Pistols, Knife. (37)
IKADRON (Baggage, Repeater) 2 Light Flamethrowers, Flash Pulse / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (9)
ÍMETRON Electric Pulse. (4)
ÍMETRON Electric Pulse. (4)

2 SWC | 199 Points

Open with Army 5
Trying to cram the Skiavoro, Ko Dali and the Umbra was a bit of a nightmare at first but I actually really liked how the list ended up playing. The benefits of having Strategos really helped with Ko Dali costing me that order early on. I ended up using the Umbra to guided drop her and drop my buddies right side of the table with that ridiculous B5 Assblaster of hers. I did managed to set up an Unidron Enhanced Reaction thanks to my Ikadron on the one side of the table who promptly whiffed both shots but it looked cool. :unsmith:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Corbeau posted:

Why? The hit mode is one damage higher, so unless you hit other models with the blast its a no brainer?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Why? The hit mode is one damage higher, so unless you hit other models with the blast its a no brainer?

And -3 dmg from cover, which template nullifies.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

I thought that was only for the models being hit by the blast? Do shotguns work in the same way?

Huh, guess they don't

Not a viking fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 7, 2015

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Pierzak posted:

And -3 dmg from cover, which template nullifies.

Explain like I'm five. I have a feeling we're interpreting the rules differently. As in, I don't understand how that would work.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, when you hit with an impact template weapon you ignore cover on the armor roll of the initial model you hit as well as the other models underneath the template.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Fanzay posted:

Explain like I'm five. I have a feeling we're interpreting the rules differently. As in, I don't understand how that would work.

If you hit a target with a template weapon of any kind, they do not get an armor bonus from being in cover. This includes impact template weapons like shotguns. So if we're talking about a Boarding Shotgun then it's always better to use the template rather than the AP slug unless the target is in the open (in which case there's no cover ARM bonus to negate) or has 8+ armor (in which case the slug would be +4 effective damage while the template would be +3 effective damage).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fanzay posted:

Explain like I'm five.

Template blast goes through cover, hurt man good.
Regular shot bounce off cover, hurt man little

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Corbeau posted:

If you hit a target with a template weapon of any kind, they do not get an armor bonus from being in cover. This includes impact template weapons like shotguns. So if we're talking about a Boarding Shotgun then it's always better to use the template rather than the AP slug unless the target is in the open (in which case there's no cover ARM bonus to negate) or has 8+ armor (in which case the slug would be +4 effective damage while the template would be +3 effective damage).

:stare: :dogbutton: :shepicide:

So, the way we've interpreted shotgun rules is that the template is placed after the ARM roll. That's wrong, apparently. Good thing I don't play two shotgun heavy forces. Oh wait I do. gently caress

goodness posted:

Template blast goes through cover, hurt man good.
Regular shot bounce off cover, hurt man little

I'm smrat :downs:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Well, I made the same base assumption frankly.

Made a Corregidor 'mass drop' list: 8 AD troops and 10 regular orders to fuel them. Quite keen to try it out.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

How does that work? Two order groups with 4 AD troops in each? Thats still only five regular orders between them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Aka a very slow turn one.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Not a viking posted:

How does that work? Two order groups with 4 AD troops in each? Thats still only five regular orders between them.

Yes, I've used tomcats over alguaciles and hellcats over jaguars. I'm not saying it would be a winning list by any means, but it would be fun. Plan is to drop 3, possibly 4 of each type on the 1st turn to get the orders and board control down. The jaguars and alguaciles can defend fairly well for the first turn (I would generally start with the alguaciles linked). I admit 5 orders per 4 AD models is far from ideal. However you can coordinate the drop orders to minimise AROs and that could let me bring them down in very aggressive positions. It's still a full 10 orders in all. meaning there's potential for carnage and leaving suppressive fire, mines, flamethrowers, hackers and boarding shotguns covering the opponent's DZ. Then if your opponent hasn't nobbled you, turn 2 can expect maybe 15 orders on the table, with good positioning.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is it possible to graft the ice storm missions into two other starter boxes, or at that point is it just better to play pitched battles until the rules become clear?

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Is it possible to graft the ice storm missions into two other starter boxes, or at that point is it just better to play pitched battles until the rules become clear?

Yeah, you can. I"ve proxied the units in the missions for existing models I had, but you can just substitute troops of similar rules types, or even just use the missions to introduce a new unit every time.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Hey, if I use a coordinated order to drop troops onto the field via AD, can I use one of those AD troop's order as the regular order, as I would if deploying it alone? Or does the coord order require a regular order from my pool?

Saw some battle reports on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?kyrellification?videos

Good terrain and armies, seem like chill guys, but they do go a bit slow.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Genghis Cohen posted:

Hey, if I use a coordinated order to drop troops onto the field via AD, can I use one of those AD troop's order as the regular order, as I would if deploying it alone? Or does the coord order require a regular order from my pool?

You use one of the airdropping models' orders, as you would if you were deploying it alone.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Go to the official forum, I remember seeing a few threads of the "Icestorm campaign for other factions" type.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Fanzay posted:

You use one of the airdropping models' orders, as you would if you were deploying it alone.

Terrific, thanks.

Just been reflecting on the impact templates thing above. Holy gently caress, shotguns and plasma weapons are amazing - I've made use of shotguns in N3, but more the +6 close range bonus than the template thing. Really looking forward to trying out more templates (inc mines, flamethrowers etc) when I next play.

Infinity just has so many drat things you can do, beyond the standard move/shoot/dodge, which I think I and most other people neglect. Mines/emaulers, which a lot of surprising profiles have; grenades likewise, awesome speculative fire possibilities there; intuitive attack is a boss way of hunting camo; about a billion hacking functions; cautious movement is almost always forgotten; coordinated orders can put together fearsome attacks with low-burst weapons from chain rifles to missile launchers. Love the depth of options in the game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
why do i have a gecko what are you doing on my table how did you get here

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Pierzak posted:

why do i have a gecko what are you doing on my table how did you get here

:getin:

Gonna buy me an Iguana and Gecko because they're cool.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fanzay posted:

:getin:

Gonna buy me an Iguana and Gecko because they're cool.

But but but I already have the whole CA and Yu Jing and now these space vagrants are multiplying :ohdear:

Also, Morat camo pattern for Daturazi/Zerats. Yes? No? Good? hosed?

(The purple stuff is based on actual vegetation on my bases i.e. dyed reindeer moss)

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Pierzak posted:

But but but I already have the whole CA and Yu Jing and now these space vagrants are multiplying :ohdear:

(The purple stuff is based on actual vegetation on my bases i.e. dyed reindeer moss)

Glamouflage!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Pierzak posted:

I kinda love it. I'd recommend keeping the camo to the cloth sections though, and using a more solid base color for the armor. Should help you retain your sanity, and look better.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Signal posted:

I kinda love it. I'd recommend keeping the camo to the cloth sections though, and using a more solid base color for the armor. Should help you retain your sanity, and look better.

Agreed. Do you have pics of your basing scheme anywhere though, Pierzak?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

I think if you cut a tendril or two from each one it'd look great. The middle one might be a bit too busy you know? Definitely a slick idea though dude, try painting a mock up or two.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Having some trouble putting my Maakrep together. The right arm seems to bump the chest when I try to put the gun at the angle in the pictures. I'm far from the only CA player here - is this normal?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

No I had to file her breast down and file the inside of the gun a little bit to actually get it to fit. It's the one mini in the box I had an issue putting together, had to do a lot of dry fitting.

You don't need to file it down very much though and the gun covers up the bit of the breast. The other arm I found a little bit awkward to attach as well because the wrist joint is just a flat on flat piece.

E: I'm thinking of picking up a Hatail Spec Ops and colouring him in Symga colours to match my army and use him as a Speculo Killer, that could look kinda cool maybe. Thoughts?

E2: Pierzak, you got the PSR Unidron right? how the gently caress do you transport that guy, he practically takes up a second slot in a case from just his barrel.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

E: I'm thinking of picking up a Hatail Spec Ops and colouring him in Symga colours to match my army and use him as a Speculo Killer, that could look kinda cool maybe. Thoughts?

I think that sounds awesome.

• Locked thread