Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Probably a combination of laziness plus the fact that both of these complications (Toxic Shock Syndrome and the amoeba thing) are extremely rare and fairly unlikely. So you can let stuff like this go most of the time with no consequences, which will just reinforce the laziness later.

Toxic Shock Syndrome is more common than you probably think. I was shocked when I learned from Vice of all places that if tampon companies used 100% cotton in their products instead of synthetic materials, the risk of TSS would be almost entirely eliminated. Unsurprisingly, it was cheaper to simply put a label on the boxes rather than switch to using safer materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FourLeaf posted:

Toxic Shock Syndrome is more common than you probably think. I was shocked when I learned from Vice of all places that if tampon companies used 100% cotton in their products instead of synthetic materials, the risk of TSS would be almost entirely eliminated. Unsurprisingly, it was cheaper to simply put a label on the boxes rather than switch to using safer materials.

I'm assuming they would lose a lot of their absorbancy and what not if they were 100% cotton as well though. So its a toss up. Take out your blood soaked internal bandage before bed or have less blood stains in your clothes every month. Either way, it must suck being a woman since the most thought I have to give to genital hygiene is making sure I run some soap and water on my dick once a day.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm assuming they would lose a lot of their absorbancy and what not if they were 100% cotton as well though. So its a toss up. Take out your blood soaked internal bandage before bed or have less blood stains in your clothes every month.

Eh, mooncups eliminate the problem.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

slinkimalinki posted:

Eh, mooncups eliminate the problem.

HELL YES. My Divacup changed my motherfucking life.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Nckdictator posted:

Not unnerving at all, just odd for the time.

I don't think intersex/disorders of sexual development were any more or less rare in those days then they are today, and this person sounds like an absolute textbook case of 5-alpha reductase deficiency.

It was probably unnerving as hell for the person going through it, because doctors knew jack poo poo about stuff like that at the time, and the most likely exposure to other people with intersex/dsd would be as "hermaphrodites" at a carnival sideshow. I think Charles was pretty amazing in just going off and getting his poo poo together in a whole new gender and sex identity.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Aug 8, 2015

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Since when did Sa become tumblr? Was this during the great 2.0/byob/fyad/2.1/gbs/somehow ended up here non event?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Benway posted:

Since when did Sa become tumblr? Was this during the great 2.0/byob/fyad/2.1/gbs/somehow ended up here non event?

the gently caress prompted this

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Who cares?

Montauk Monster is my favorite. A dead raccoon washes up on shore and everyone is in a tizzy and vapors over it like it's the 1800s again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Monster

But the Dingonek is pretty cool too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingodek

quote:

The dingonek is a scaly, scorpion-tailed, saber-toothed cryptid allegedly seen in the African Congolese jungles. Said to dwell in the rivers and lakes of western Africa, the Dingonek has been described as being grey or red, 3 to 6 metres (9-18 feet) in length, with a squarish head, sometimes a long horn, saber-like canines—which has resulted in its nickname the "Jungle Walrus"—and a tail complete with a bony, dart-like appendage, which is reputed to be able to secrete a deadly poison. This creature is also said to be covered head-to-toe in a scaly, mottled epidermis, which has been likened to the prehistoric-looking Asian anteater known as the pangolin.

Has the Beast of Gévaudan been mentioned yet? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan

As described by Robert Louis Stevenson,

quote:

For this was the land of the ever-memorable Beast, the Napoleon Bonaparte of wolves. What a career was his! He lived ten months at free quarters in Gévaudan and Vivarais; he ate women and children and "shepherdesses celebrated for their beauty"; he pursued armed horsemen; he has been seen at broad noonday chasing a post-chaise and outrider along the king's high-road, and chaise and outrider fleeing before him at the gallop. He was placarded like a political offender, and ten thousand francs were offered for his head. And yet, when he was shot and sent to Versailles, behold! a common wolf, and even small for that.

Wolfbeast has good taste in food.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

AlbieQuirky posted:

I don't think intersex/disorders of sexual development were any more or less rare in those days then they are today, and this person sounds like an absolute textbook case of 5-alpha reductase deficiency.

It was probably unnerving as hell for the person going through it, because doctors knew jack poo poo about stuff like that at the time, and the most likely exposure to other people with intersex/dsd would be as "hermaphrodites" at a carnival sideshow. I think Charles was pretty amazing in just going off and getting his poo poo together in a whole new gender and sex identity.

Umm.. He was a man, man.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alouicious posted:

the gently caress prompted this

Probably the fact that the gender story got a plain, mildly educational response instead of a "OMg TrANnIEz! :pcgaming:" response or whatever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wedemeyer posted:

Has the Beast of Gévaudan been mentioned yet? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan

Is that the legend Brotherhood of the Wolf was based on?

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002

flosofl posted:

Is that the legend Brotherhood of the Wolf was based on?

Yes

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Saw this today :smith:

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S3873674.shtml?cat=500#.VcX-HfllGpo

Its like a condensed version of The Missing Germans. The dryness of the article only serves to heighten the absolute horror of it. :smith: I'm like totally bummed out now.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
This has been mentioned before, but it's back on page two so people might have missed it. Also it's super-odd, so bears repeating.

There's a really good investigative write-up about what happened on the very good A Blast From The Past blog, (which y'all should be reading anyway) but the tl;dr is pretty straightforward:

Sometime between 1955 and 1964 on the massively remote Bouvet Island in the Southern Ocean, a small whaling boat appeared and no-one knows who it belongs to or why it went there.

https://allkindsofhistory.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/an-abandoned-lifeboat-at-worlds-end/

The thing that really intrigues me about this story over and above any other is that because of the sheer remoteness and lack of anything else on the island the number of things that actually could have happened are really small. If we the lay the facts out, there's really not much to help you out.

The boat is discovered floating in a lagoon, so remains seaworthy. There's also no evidence of anyone living on the island for any time or any bodies, so we can rule out a shipwreck or unintentional landing. However it's also not flotsam, because the lagoon is separated from the main coast meaning the boat must have been dragged into it.

So if we assume someone went there on purpose, why leave the boat when they left? In fact, if they got there by boat, why not leave by it? And if you did in fact have the services of a helicopter to lift you off the island, why not use it to land you there in the first place? And why leave a perfectly good boat lying around by not going back for it?

Of course, that doesn't answer the question of why go there in the first place. And again, of course, there's no actual record of anyone going there - although the article outlines two possibilities which sound fanciful at best but might be our best answers.

To top it all off however, there actually was something else on the island with the boat - a large copper floatation tank which had been opened up and hammered flat. Which makes perfect sense, naturally, because that's exactly the first thing you'd do when arriving on a deoslate, wind-swept death trap near the Antarctic.

So what actually happened? Well hosed if I know which is why it fits so well here. The story does get expanded in the comments section on the blog, and it sounds like perhaps the island was a little bit more trafficked than first made out, but still, it's not easy to explain. I guess it must have been Russians from one of the survey ships in the area who left by another means and wrote the boat off as a loss, but that still leaves a lot unanswered.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

AlbieQuirky posted:

My daughter has Congential Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) which can cause genital malformations but does not affect the brain to my knowledge. My daughter, fortunately, was only mildly affected but the first doctor we saw was ridiculously 1950's style.

He actually suggested that we pick a sex for our daughter and do surgery to make her genitals look like what we picked. Needless to say, we changed doctors. All I could think of was Sleepaway Camp. Fortunately, she's growing up strong and healthy without any trouble other than having to take Cortisone every day to make up for the lost hormone.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

mostlygray posted:

My daughter has Congential Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) which can cause genital malformations but does not affect the brain to my knowledge. My daughter, fortunately, was only mildly affected but the first doctor we saw was ridiculously 1950's style.

He actually suggested that we pick a sex for our daughter and do surgery to make her genitals look like what we picked. Needless to say, we changed doctors. All I could think of was Sleepaway Camp. Fortunately, she's growing up strong and healthy without any trouble other than having to take Cortisone every day to make up for the lost hormone.

Ugh, loving Sleepaway Camp, watched that movie way too young,man

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Major Ryan posted:

This has been mentioned before, but it's back on page two so people might have missed it. Also it's super-odd, so bears repeating.

There's a really good investigative write-up about what happened on the very good A Blast From The Past blog, (which y'all should be reading anyway) but the tl;dr is pretty straightforward:

Sometime between 1955 and 1964 on the massively remote Bouvet Island in the Southern Ocean, a small whaling boat appeared and no-one knows who it belongs to or why it went there.

https://allkindsofhistory.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/an-abandoned-lifeboat-at-worlds-end/

The thing that really intrigues me about this story over and above any other is that because of the sheer remoteness and lack of anything else on the island the number of things that actually could have happened are really small. If we the lay the facts out, there's really not much to help you out.

The boat is discovered floating in a lagoon, so remains seaworthy. There's also no evidence of anyone living on the island for any time or any bodies, so we can rule out a shipwreck or unintentional landing. However it's also not flotsam, because the lagoon is separated from the main coast meaning the boat must have been dragged into it.

So if we assume someone went there on purpose, why leave the boat when they left? In fact, if they got there by boat, why not leave by it? And if you did in fact have the services of a helicopter to lift you off the island, why not use it to land you there in the first place? And why leave a perfectly good boat lying around by not going back for it?

Of course, that doesn't answer the question of why go there in the first place. And again, of course, there's no actual record of anyone going there - although the article outlines two possibilities which sound fanciful at best but might be our best answers.

To top it all off however, there actually was something else on the island with the boat - a large copper floatation tank which had been opened up and hammered flat. Which makes perfect sense, naturally, because that's exactly the first thing you'd do when arriving on a deoslate, wind-swept death trap near the Antarctic.

So what actually happened? Well hosed if I know which is why it fits so well here. The story does get expanded in the comments section on the blog, and it sounds like perhaps the island was a little bit more trafficked than first made out, but still, it's not easy to explain. I guess it must have been Russians from one of the survey ships in the area who left by another means and wrote the boat off as a loss, but that still leaves a lot unanswered.

Boat washed ashore and some flotsam was near it, in a span of eleven years.

Shits not too mysterious.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

mostlygray posted:

Holy poo poo good thing you didn't listen to that terrible doctor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Unless I'm mistaken he said it was found in an inland lagoon.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Wasabi the J posted:

The whole point was that the only way the boat could get there was if a person brought it in.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Chichevache posted:

The whole point was that the only way the boat could get there was if a person brought it in.

What I don't buy is the idea a boat washing up on the one landable part of the island is ridiculously unlikely. If there's only one place a boat CAN land then of course it'd be there. If it weren't it'd have been dashed to pieces on the rocks.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Sarcopenia posted:

Holy poo poo good thing you didn't listen to that terrible doctor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

Yeah, his story is just hella sad. Intersex people have been lobbying hard for a long time to stop surgical "corrections" of infant genitals, and thankfully it's getting a bit better. Once upon a time the doctor might just do some snipping and stitching without even telling the parents.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke
If I was stuck on an island like that, forgetting the boat and all, I would hammer a copper thing flat so I could use it to try and signal airplanes with the sun. The copper tank would be shiny like that wouldn't it? That's the first thing I thought of. No idea why or how you'd get a boat to an inland lagoon though if you are desperate enough to try and get a passing plane or ship to see you.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Terrible Opinions posted:

Unless I'm mistaken he said it was found in an inland lagoon.

Inland lagoon is not actually that far inland, he makes a point of mentioning that a colony of fur seals was at the boat and the lagoon can not possible sustain them so they must have easy access to the main ocean since they are not the most nimble creatures on land. He mentions in like the first three sentences that the island is in a storm area so Its super plausible a rogue wave or whatever deposited the boat in the lagoon, possibly heavy rains extended the lagoon enough to make this easier, who knows.

Edit: Looking at the drawing the lagoon seems to be 150-200 meters inland, I am no expert but that doesnt seem too crazy. Also like you guys know how lagoons work right? They either have to have some access to the ocean at times or either the evaporate or turn fresh water heavy if there is constant heavy rain, and If it was freshwater I feel like that should have been mentioned.

Edit2: Got curious and read a bit more on fur seals, someone may correct me but from what I found they are almost always marine and stay away from fresh water bodies so I would say thats another strike against the idea that the lagoon is freshwater or brackish.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Aug 8, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Infyrno posted:

If I was stuck on an island like that, forgetting the boat and all, I would hammer a copper thing flat so I could use it to try and signal airplanes with the sun. The copper tank would be shiny like that wouldn't it? That's the first thing I thought of. No idea why or how you'd get a boat to an inland lagoon though if you are desperate enough to try and get a passing plane or ship to see you.

I'm not an expert in flotsam but I lived in south Texas and the weirdest poo poo washed up all the time in the beaches there; I saw plenty of oil drums banged flat against jetties, so again applying Occam's razor here, the most likely thing is that some poo poo washed up on an area where water doesn't outflow as easily as it can inflow.

Rogue waves are massive and could easily take a row boat out somewhere as set it down, and a copper tank sounds as malleable than a steel drum, which can and do get beat to poo poo in the ocean.

Over ten years between visits on a remote island, I wouldn't see the mystery about garbage on the beach.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Towering Inferno was a Hollywood disaster film with an all-star cast about a fire in the world's tallest skyscraper. Principal photography for the film finished on September 11th, 1974.

I consider myself a rational person, but this is a coincidence that makes me shudder a little.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The Towering Inferno was a Hollywood disaster film with an all-star cast about a fire in the world's tallest skyscraper. Principal photography for the film finished on September 11th, 1974.

I consider myself a rational person, but this is a coincidence that makes me shudder a little.

You'd be surprised about how quickly things coincide in a 365/366 day calendar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

In a group of seventy random people, you have a 99% chance at sharing a birthday with someone, which seems incredibly high for around 1/5 the people for a 100% chance.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Aug 9, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

You'd be surprised about how quickly things coincide in a 365/366 day calendar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

See also there only being 10 arabic numerals to combine together to represent all dates and times.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Numerology?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Do you know why deaths happen in threes? It's because you think they do. Soon as the third death happens you go "THEY HAPPEN IN THREES!!!" and start your counter over again.

You can find weird coincidences for literally anything if you look hard enough. Our brains look for patterns in things because that's how we make sense of the world but most patterns are ultimately meaningless.

If I type a set of numbers I guarantee you can find something that relates to them.

2 97 12 110 32

Try it, it's kind of neat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Do you know why deaths happen in threes? It's because you think they do. Soon as the third death happens you go "THEY HAPPEN IN THREES!!!" and start your counter over again.

You can find weird coincidences for literally anything if you look hard enough. Our brains look for patterns in things because that's how we make sense of the world but most patterns are ultimately meaningless.

If I type a set of numbers I guarantee you can find something that relates to them.

2 97 12 110 32

Try it, it's kind of neat.

They're all Arabic! What did I win?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The date isn't the only unnerving thing about the The Towering Inferno.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

mostlygray posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I have that too, except they did the surgery on me. I'm 24 now and it still fucks me up. You're a good parent, give my regards to your daughter.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The cheque the dude was writing near the start of The Big Lebowski was dated September 11 1991 :tinfoil:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Neo's passport in the Matrix was due to expire on 9/11/2001 too, wasn't it?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy! Kennedy's was named Lincoln!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Wasabi the J posted:

In a group of seventy random people, you have a 99% chance at sharing a birthday with someone, which seems incredibly high for around 1/5 the people for a 100% chance.

lol what

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

dissss posted:

The cheque the dude was writing near the start of The Big Lebowski was dated September 11 1991 :tinfoil:

What were that chances! (365 to 1)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Statistics much?

It's called the Birthday Paradox.

http://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

My parents were married on 9/11/1981 and my dad later died so two standing structures united in death and what I'm saying is don't read into coincidence.