Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Let me guess: lots of skinny pedal and wheel spin then sudden grip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Faster Blaster posted:

Snagged from a buddy's facebook-

That must be the standard Chrysler jacking method.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
99% sure that is a toyota rearend.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Was working on some local biogas power projects today here at the local landfill which has this old site that has been capped

Very brief description is bacteria digest nitrogen and phosphorus and crap methane in the absence of oxygen This is fine and normal, but methane is a nasty green house gas and normally you try and keep landfills from doing this, but with the right gear you can trap the methane and use it to run one of these guys

You use that to generate electricity and sell it to the local power company while also charging the local landfill to take care of their nasty methane issues and you make a nice bit of money every month (until natural gas prices crater and undercut you :argh:).

This is all fine and good and very green, but if the guy who buys and sets op the system has never tuned an engine before, much less to run on methane, unfortunate things happen.

This was presented to me along with the comment "apparently it was running too rich".
That lump top dead center on the edge is apparently one of the valves.

We're trying to get another project capping a local universities cattle and swine manure lagoons to run a small block V8 off the ground. This would be in concert with undergraduate engineering design students, so looking forwards to some really dumb failures next year.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 7, 2015

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Out of curiosity, what spark plugs do you use for those engines?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

totalnewbie posted:

They are diesels, no spark plugs required. They do however have glow plugs.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Huge_Midget posted:

They are diesels, no spark plugs required. They do however have glow plugs.

They don't have to be, but that's a good point; they probably are diesel.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

totalnewbie posted:

They don't have to be, but that's a good point; they probably are diesel.

That is indeed a diesel. I don't know what particular model, but it's a Waukesha I6 if that helps.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 7, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

hasnt failed yet :colbert:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I guess you'd balance that by eye, or...?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Balance?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I smoked some teeth off a Subaru R160. With 110awhp. 20 miles of stage left and 1.5 hours of transit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Pretty sure that's why there's the glob by the hub cover. To balance it out.

GOWD yall are so daft.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sirbeefalot posted:

Just pour some BBs inside. It’ll balance itself.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Slow is Fast posted:

I smoked some teeth off a Subaru R160. With 110awhp. 20 miles of stage left and 1.5 hours of transit.

Spinning spinning spinning spinning TRACTION

Right?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

sofullofhate posted:

Right?

And always shearing, shearing, shearing towards freedom!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sofullofhate posted:

Right?

Considering its seen a few thousand miles of dirt with gravel tires strapped on. Probably.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Crosspost from the AC thread...

Last year, Motronic told me that my AC condenser was rotten and needed to be replaced. I figured, 'nah, I'll wait until it's really hosed'.

Well, it's really hosed:

You know it's really hosed when you can fold it in half by hand and put it in a bucket, and most of it has already been swept into that bucket.

Edit: the lovely thing is, these R12 Soarer condensers are NLA, I had to order a R134a SC400 condenser from the US (The 'aftermarket' US Denso units are 1/4 of the price compared to genuine Toyota in the UK, which is actually the same fucing Denso unit!) and of course the fittings are different so now I need to find someone to weld the fittings from my old unit onto the new one... :)

Another edit: And today the compressor in my other Soarer poo poo the bed, so more photos incoming later this week, I guess...... I should start a thread about how much these cars torture me.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 9, 2015

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I know that conversions are expensive, but it seems like now would be the time to convert this thing to R134A, wouldn't it?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Behold - this is what happens when your clutch starts failing at 0630 - 18.5 hours into a 24 hour endurance race and you do everything in your power to keep it going until 0830. Once we could free rev in gear going down the front straight it was time to finally pit and swap it.

This fucker cost us a guaranteed 3rd over all and 1st in class. (No, I'm not bitter...)

Kudos to the team though, the actual swap only took 40 minutes.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Frank Dillinger posted:

I know that conversions are expensive, but it seems like now would be the time to convert this thing to R134A, wouldn't it?

Sadly it's not (easily) possible, R134a compressors are not available for the model (SC400 ones have a different housing), and as far as I know, the only other difference is that every. single. loving. line. has different fittings to the R12 counterparts. Even if I changed all the lines, I still have a compressor with R12 fittings... THANKS TOYOTA.

I will repair the compressor, replace all the o-rings, get the R134a condenser to fit, fit a R134a low-side port and fill it with dust-off and ND8 oil. The mineral oil left in the evaporator can sit there.

I could replace the compressor guts with those from a R134a compressor from a SC400 and make a kind of frankenpressor, but that's just opening a can of worms (kinda literally on these swash plate driven units).

Also, I have two of these loving cars, so the cost is doubled :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Hey, at least you hadn't dumpstered it before finding out you still needed the fittings. (:smithicide:)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sadly it's not (easily) possible, R134a compressors are not available for the model (SC400 ones have a different housing), and as far as I know, the only other difference is that every. single. loving. line. has different fittings to the R12 counterparts. Even if I changed all the lines, I still have a compressor with R12 fittings... THANKS TOYOTA.

I will repair the compressor, replace all the o-rings, get the R134a condenser to fit, fit a R134a low-side port and fill it with dust-off and ND8 oil. The mineral oil left in the evaporator can sit there.

I could replace the compressor guts with those from a R134a compressor from a SC400 and make a kind of frankenpressor, but that's just opening a can of worms (kinda literally on these swash plate driven units).

Also, I have two of these loving cars, so the cost is doubled :)

You could just run whatever new compressor you can find, and have an A/C shop fab up appropriate lines. Usually pretty expensive, though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Are there not adapters available to do exactly this sort of thing?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Charge port fittings, yes. Line-to-condenser/compressor/etc, not so much.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

You could just run whatever new compressor you can find, and have an A/C shop fab up appropriate lines. Usually pretty expensive, though.

Well, my plan is to run the original equipment, and have an A/C shop fab up new condenser fittings. The system will be no different to a fully converted R134a system.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Another edit: And today the compressor in my other Soarer poo poo the bed, so more photos incoming later this week, I guess......

Pulled my non-working AC compressor today:

Looks ok!

Wait, why is there foam pouring out as I break the seal on the bolts?

Uh-oh.

:kheldragar:

:kheldragar::kheldragar:

:kheldragar::kheldragar::kheldragar:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Wait, why is there foam pouring out as I break the seal on the bolts?

Is that like the A/C version of letting the magical blue smoke out of electronics?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

Is that like the A/C version of letting the magical blue smoke out of electronics?

The black gritty poo poo inside is!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, my plan is to run the original equipment, and have an A/C shop fab up new condenser fittings. The system will be no different to a fully converted R134a system.

Ah, I think I mixed up the car you're replacing the condenser in and the one with the bad compressor.

Speaking of which... :stare: I've never seen black death in its purest form.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

Ah, I think I mixed up the car you're replacing the condenser in and the one with the bad compressor.

They're both identical cars!

So, I thought I'd be clever and put the condenser from the car with the failed compressor into the other car to make one good car. I'm just glad I noticed this before charging the AC. Looks like I need to order another condenser.

Ralker
Sep 2, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to catch up to this thread after not lurking about in AI for a while. And then, while wallowing in the schadenfreude of others' mechanical failures I've had one of my own that I can't quite describe in words, but then knew that the automotive gods were calling upon me to contribute for AI's entertainment. For reference this is my 95 Mustang GT with the 302 (5.0) old school OHV engine. It still has a distributor which I replaced about a year ago when something in it died. So I stalled out today while driving to go get lunch, whipped out my handy dandy Ford OBDI code reader and got 211, PIP (stator) circuit failure. I know what that means! I can replace the distributor pretty quickly because I carry my distributor wrench in the car like a proper Ford owner.

From prior experience, I attempt to label the spark plug wire order and take pictures in case post it notes are inadequate for this task (hint: they are).

Since this is the side of the road and I can't dick around to find TDC, make sure to take pics of the rotor position BEFORE taking out the distributor.

So far so good, except the gear is missing off the distributor, now I was too perplexed at this point to take a picture of it, but I did get photos later of the shaft and gear separately.

Well if the gear detached, maybe I should take a peek down in there to.... that doesn't look right.

Well I put in the new distributor and reattached everything, now the battery negative terminal started smoking, so I get to borrow my dad's ranger to go see if I can poke and prod it to life long enough to get to a shop and/or wait for a tow truck to take it to a shop where they can examine it further. Any thoughts?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Had a freshly rebuilt motor in the race car last week, team wanted to rack up some street miles so they were driving it around nicely for the past couple days. Dad took it out last night for some higher RPM driving... Took it up to 6500 RPM and it died, wouldn't start again and sounded funny. Towed it back to the shop, cylinder 1 had no compression and 5 was sitting around 80 psi.

Yanked the valve cover and the rocker arms were all missing their retaining clips. Rockers had wandered and weren't actuating the valves anymore. Scavenged retaining clips from the engine we cooked the other week and things are back to how they should be. Still need to set the valves and double check everything else before the race in a couple weeks.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Hahah. Oopsy. I bet everyone was glad the motor didn't blow up!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Had a freshly rebuilt motor in the race car last week, team wanted to rack up some street miles so they were driving it around nicely for the past couple days. Dad took it out last night for some higher RPM driving... Took it up to 6500 RPM and it died, wouldn't start again and sounded funny. Towed it back to the shop, cylinder 1 had no compression and 5 was sitting around 80 psi.

Yanked the valve cover and the rocker arms were all missing their retaining clips. Rockers had wandered and weren't actuating the valves anymore. Scavenged retaining clips from the engine we cooked the other week and things are back to how they should be. Still need to set the valves and double check everything else before the race in a couple weeks.

Wow. That didn't do any damage to the shoulders of the cam lobes?

The best kind of "oh gently caress engine died and funny sound and no compression" story, though!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

Hahah. Oopsy. I bet everyone was glad the motor didn't blow up!

sofullofhate posted:

Wow. That didn't do any damage to the shoulders of the cam lobes?

The best kind of "oh gently caress engine died and funny sound and no compression" story, though!

Apparently everything looks good but I recommended they look over things really closely before buttoning it up or running it much. Would suck to have it fail a half hour into the race and blow the whole weekend.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

M20?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

M20 in this thoroughly beaten and abused car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

NitroSpazzz posted:

M20 in this thoroughly beaten and abused car

All M20s have been very, very bad girls and need to be spanked till the fuel cutoff with open headers.

I can't bring myself to put the exhaust back on mine and its strengthening my relationships with my neighbors, for sure.