Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

ayn rand hand job posted:

You had Mr Freeze and Mr Freeze and Mr Freeze.

The Solomon Grundy fight was one of my favorites. I'm not sure why nobody mentions that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The Deathstroke fight is just tedious on NG+ in Origins.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Irradiation posted:

The Deathstroke fight is just tedious on NG+ in Origins.

More tedious than going through it the first time round?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I actually remember the Asylum bosses and was going to bring that up, but then remember that all of the bosses in City were decent at the bare minimum. None of them were amazing or anything but none of them were bad.

The only real boss fight in Asylum was Poison Ivy, and she was just a ripoff of Spanish Napoleon from Resident Evil 4. I thought most of the City bosses were good, though. Freeze is in my top boss fights of all time, Grundy was fun (although frustrating when I couldn't figure out how quickfire worked and kept trying to manually deploy explosive gel), and Ra'as and Clayface were both pretty good, if a bit button-mashy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

l33t b4c0n posted:

The Solomon Grundy fight was one of my favorites. I'm not sure why nobody mentions that.

Because it's pretty one note and kinda out of place with the combat as more of a puzzle boss than a fight dude boss.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, the shock gloves thing is just a nice handwave for why he's not using them in Asylum and City, I suppose. But the REC gun is apparently just there because they couldn't think of anywhere else to keep the REC gun?

Surely Wayne Manor has a rec room?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I honestly didn't mind the Titan fights in Asylum and City. Yeah they weren't the most involved thing, but they required you to have a modicum of skill with the fighting mechanics to avoid getting bowled over. As someone pointed out earlier, the combat system is really designed around fighting groups of enemies, not individuals, so boss fights are going to feel a bit week overall. Still, it feels so quintessentially "Batman" to use your fighting finesse against enemies much larger or more powerful. Asylum and City give you that opportunity, even if it is just Titans. Knight just doesn't really give you that opportunity as much. The Riddler fight is the closest there is to going head-to-head with a nemesis. The rest are mostly cut scenes or tank fights.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, I am finding Red Hood to be very unwhelming. And I was satisfied with Harley Quinn's thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Every room in Wayne Manor is a brood and sulk room, sorry

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, I am finding Red Hood to be very unwhelming. And I was satisfied with Harley Quinn's thing.

It's particularly disappointing when you realize the fight with Black Mask is essentially just a very long Beatdown combo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

l33t b4c0n posted:

I honestly didn't mind the Titan fights in Asylum and City. Yeah they weren't the most involved thing, but they required you to have a modicum of skill with the fighting mechanics to avoid getting bowled over. As someone pointed out earlier, the combat system is really designed around fighting groups of enemies, not individuals, so boss fights are going to feel a bit week overall. Still, it feels so quintessentially "Batman" to use your fighting finesse against enemies much larger or more powerful. Asylum and City give you that opportunity, even if it is just Titans. Knight just doesn't really give you that opportunity as much. The Riddler fight is the closest there is to going head-to-head with a nemesis. The rest are mostly cut scenes or tank fights.

I liked the Titan fight in general, but they really went to that well too much.

Towards the end of most plot beats in the AA, rather than getting a boss, you fight a titan or two or three. The only exceptions are Poison Ivy (which wasn't great but a breath of fresh air at that point), Killer Croc and Harley, which ends with him and her cutscene captured with no fight.

It isn't helped that the only way that they increased the challenge was to throw more Titans at you, which then made the fight even easier, since you only needed to stun the first dude and then ride a chain of stunned titans to the end of the fight.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 7, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That was terrible, but I laughed anyway.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74l2OZIAw5Q

Because why not.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 7, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Where was he in the game? What the heck?

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Apparently he's in the diner at the start.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Question, what's this I am hearing about SEason of Infamy? It sounds almost like a whole bunch of most wanted missions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question, what's this I am hearing about SEason of Infamy? It sounds almost like a whole bunch of most wanted missions.

It isn't really clear yet what it is. It sounds like that but it isn't really clear how they will be integrated.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

bunnyofdoom posted:

That's pretty much it, yeah. Sounds to be additional most wanted missions featuring villains who weren't in the main game yet. Which you'd think they'd make a bigger deal out of advertising when they're trying to sell their $40 season pass, but hey, that's why I'm not in charge of marketing decisions, apparently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

That's pretty much it, yeah. Sounds to be additional most wanted missions featuring villains who weren't in the main game yet. Which you'd think they'd make a bigger deal out of advertising when they're trying to sell their $40 season pass, but hey, that's why I'm not in charge of marketing decisions, apparently.

Well, it depends on how they're included.

I mean if it ends up being "Fight Mr. Freeze....'s drone tanks, followed by the new Freezeburst tank! Face the ultimate foe in Clayface as he takes on a deadly new dronelike form! Can anyone stop Prometheus as he uses his ultimate Promtank to kill the Dark Knight once and for all?" it won't be that hype.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Knormal posted:

There's another stability control console behind a door you need the voice synthesizer to open. I wandered around that room for like 15 minutes because of how much it blends in, until I accidentally walked close enough to it to make the prompt pop up.

That did the trick. Thanks!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if it ends up being "Fight Mr. Freeze....'s drone tanks, followed by the new Freezeburst tank! Face the ultimate foe in Clayface as he takes on a deadly new dronelike form! Can anyone stop Prometheus as he uses his ultimate Promtank to kill the Dark Knight once and for all?" it won't be that hype.

I don't know what to tell you if you aren't expecting a Mr. Freeze tank fight.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know what to tell you if you aren't expecting a Mr. Freeze tank fight.

As long as it's this one

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

ImpAtom posted:

You have to fight Killer Croc with the Batmobile too. Not because he's in a tank, he's just grown so increasingly large over the games that there's no way to fight him on foot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

You have to fight Killer Croc with the Batmobile too. Not because he's in a tank, he's just grown so increasingly large over the games that there's no way to fight him on foot.

I fully expect this as well. I mean, Batman couldn't even fight him in Arkham Asylum and now he's even bigger.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

CuwiKhons posted:

They've pulled his model from the game. I don't think it's likely, but it's a possibility.

vvvv Whoops, that's right! Man, I really need to get a new rig so I can play this myself.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 8, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

They've pulled his model from the game. I don't think it's likely, but it's a possibility.

He's in the Joker dream segment near the end.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

ImpAtom posted:

He's in the Joker dream segment near the end.

Yeah, and he's gigantic

he's turning into loving godzilla

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

vvvv Whoops, that's right! Man, I really need to get a new rig so I can play this myself.

Probably not a rush until they patch it anyway!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

It's still not going to play well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

redbackground posted:

Yes it will.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It already plays pretty well with some config fuckery

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

redbackground posted:

Given how well this unofficial utility works there's no reason to think that people with access to the actual code couldn't make an even bigger difference.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Except the people that wrote the code couldn't optimize it the first time and had to pull the entire game from sale.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think i'd rather wait until those (loving) cunts (that knew) at rocksteady fix the port, to be honest. Everybody knows at this point.

saw the whole thing on the x box one though, so i might as well refund the PC poo poo and wait a year later when the so-called season pass offers the actual loving game.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 8, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think i'd rather wait until those (loving) cunts (that knew) at rocksteady fix the port, to be honest. Everybody knows at this point.

Even if Rocksteady knew there's literally zero things they could do about it. It's entirely WB's decision.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

l33t b4c0n posted:

Except the people that wrote the code couldn't optimize it the first time and had to pull the entire game from sale.

The problem was the port job was done quickly and cheaply.

It runs fine on consoles, it runs significantly better with that utility, there's no fundamental reason why a good port couldn't be done.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
In a perfect world, the end to Deathstroke's confrontation should not have been a cutscene, but rather an in-game thing where the player, still inside the batmobile, gets to watch Slade clamber out of his broken-rear end tank and yell threats at Batman, and from there giving them the choice of either hopping out and taking him on in a straight fight (where he could act like a souped-up martial artist from Origins), or just ending Slade right there with a beanbag to the groin.

All in all Arkham Knight feels like a game that would greatly benefit from a "Subsistence"-style re-release; tightening up gameplay (like reworking fear takedowns or tweaking batmobile handling), adding more variety in content (tank battles would be a lot more enjoyable if there was more than 3 basic enemy types or layouts other than "tiny circular arena"), and reworking the crummier parts of the plot (Arkham Knight is the most hilariously-incompetent antagonist ever) would go a long way towards turning this into something resembling GOTY material.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

I don't even know how you're talking about it here in the present tense. You start it and then it's over.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ChickenHeart posted:

(tank battles would be a lot more enjoyable if there was more than 3 basic enemy types or layouts other than "tiny circular arena")

I think I had more fun fighting the various tanks when I first moved into a new area with the Batmobile and was clearing out that island. Turning it into a circular arena ruins the fun of busting into vehicle mode and farting around a wall when you're getting outnumbered.

Which is pretty much what I enjoyed most about the Cloudburst tank fight but maybe that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't get how people say the Deathstroke tank fight is just the cloudburst fight all over again.

The cloudburst had this super-duper overpowered weapon that forced you to stealth your way to "victory."

The deathstroke fight just sent a ton of stuff at you, but I managed to just brute force the poo poo out of that fight by battling him directly.

It still blows chunks that anyone thought this was a good climax, but still.

• Locked thread