Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'll probably grab out of a cup or bag once I start using them.
I took a picture for one of my friends. New rampaging enemy on top of an original dragon.

e: Here is the card color difference too, not as insane but still a different shade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'll probably grab out of a cup or bag once I start using them.
I took a picture for one of my friends. New rampaging enemy on top of an original dragon.

Goddamit.

That's pretty bad.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Kaddish posted:

So for people with the Mage Knight expansion what are you doing about the smaller token size? Just ignore it? I was really excited until I heard about the printing issues. All of my cards are sleeved so that isn't really an issue for me.

My lost legion stuff is pretty distinct from my 1st edition Mage Knight stuff. I draw off the bottom of piles.

There is an Artscow bag deal going on until the 20th though, I might upgrade to that. Those make Castles of Burgundy go from "..maybe we should just play cards?" to "sure! set it up!"

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Andarel posted:

If you're around Sunday, might be able to get games in online - they're both available for free if you know where to look (I forget agricola but caylus is on bga) and both pretty easy to learn.

Bachelor party that night, I'm afraid. If nothing else learning to use that site looks like it could be fun though. Perhaps another time. Seems like it might work on my tablet, which would be a huge bonus.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My lost legion stuff is pretty distinct from my 1st edition Mage Knight stuff. I draw off the bottom of piles.

There is an Artscow bag deal going on until the 20th though, I might upgrade to that. Those make Castles of Burgundy go from "..maybe we should just play cards?" to "sure! set it up!"

I bought some acrylic boxes with dividers for CoB and it made set up rather quick. I don't even bother taking counters out anymore. I just shake the box with lid on and then pull them out.

What's the bag deal?

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 7, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kai Tave posted:

Lord I have no earthly idea and no desire to try again and find out. The game was such a miserable go-nowhere slog that we had to start passing around an active player token because we were forgetting whose turn it was to play, a thing that has never happened in any other game I've ever played before. We spent two hours and change passing our turns accomplishing gently caress-all save for random luck and were nowhere near the part of the monster deck where the boss was hiding.

how many people were you p laying with? I've played with 2 and 3. Game says it supports up to 5 but that seems like a bad idea to me

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
The expansion stuff can get mixed into the main game, but the new expansion primary quest needs you to take certain ones out and place them specifically on groves when they appear.

Also with the new tokens on the old tokens of the same color I honest to god can't even notice the difference and in two games didn't notice any card back colors being different. I wasn't really looking but maybe I got a good copy or something?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

silvergoose posted:

And, um. That game you play with Tarot cards.

I think you mean the shitton of games using the tarot deck.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Captain Foo posted:

how many people were you p laying with? I've played with 2 and 3. Game says it supports up to 5 but that seems like a bad idea to me

I think it was five actually. The thing is even with a reduced player count I can see it being FASTER, but the fundamendal issues I had with it would still remain...it's too dependant on random chance to accomplish things and curating your deck is too laborious a process.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

cenotaph posted:

Fine this one http://www.pagat.com/tarot/frtarot.html

It's awesome and my family was taught it in the south of France by a french guy so it has to be legit.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You know what would probably be pretty sweet is a game like Flick 'Em Up that played like an old school arena team deathmatch/CTF FPS like Quake or Unreal Tournament

Also, Flick 'Em Up is another game we can add to our meager list of team games

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Fine this one http://www.pagat.com/tarot/frtarot.html

It's awesome and my family was taught it in the south of France by a french guy so it has to be legit.

I'm quite fond of Slovenian Tarock. The four player version has hidden partnerships.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

cenotaph posted:

Don't play games with tarot decks, because of Demons.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Specifically, don't play Assumption with any cards, you'll lose your soul.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Last night, I played poker with a Tarot deck. I got a Full House.

Four people died.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Archenteron posted:

Last night, I played poker with a Tarot deck. I got a Full House.

Four people died.

No seriously, read Last Call and do *not* play poker with a tarot deck.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Andarel posted:

The "screw you" deck (aka intrigue cards) is actually the most interesting part of the game and other than mandatory quests works pretty well. Everything else is just basic shuffling of resources for VP by placing workers.

Unfortunately, the Intrigue Cards and Mandatory Quests are also the worst part of the game, taking an elegant Euro concept and making it extra kingmakey and political.

Toshimo posted:

On an unrelated note, if you had to pick examples of different levels of theme on say... A 0 to 5 star scale where 0 is totally abstract and 5 is Themasauras Rex, what would your go-to examples be?

0) Ascension, Dixit, Splendor, Carcassonne (Completely abstract, theme is completely divorced or nonsensical)
1) Go, Hive, Lords of Waterdeep (Abstract but in a coherent direction)
2) Arkham Horror, Talisman (Characters recognizable as entities but literally other all aspects are non-sequitor)
3) Rampage, Eclipse, Tash-Kalar (Mostly coherent save for some severe concessions that require jumping through hoops to explain)
4) Battlestar Galactica, Small World (Would be completely coherent except for a single meta flaw that can be explained without straining)
5) Resistance, Final Attack!, Space Alert (Completely coherent theme executed comprehensively)

Chill la Chill posted:

Haha that reminds me: I got Stone Age years ago and forgot it was even a worker placement cuz of all the dice. The cup still smells awful after all this time and I think Caverna might be he proper upgrade replacement for it. I'll look into Caylus, thanks.

I will teach you Caylus. Hit me up on Steam.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 8, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

silvergoose posted:

No seriously, read Last Call and do *not* play poker with a tarot deck.

Is there some historical fact I should know before reading that makes it better like going into Declare knowing that Kim Philby was a real guy who was actually pretty shady even for a Cold War defector?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

Is there some historical fact I should know before reading that makes it better like going into Declare knowing that Kim Philby was a real guy who was actually pretty shady even for a Cold War defector?

I dunno, read up a little about the origins of Las Vegas I guess? Not really needed, no. Last Call and Declare are basically Tim Powers' best books anyway.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Colosseum is getting a reprint, about which I am ecstatic. Is Tiny Minstrel Games a reputable company or will I get ripped off on the Kickstarter?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So I am trying to decide which Dominion expansion to buy.

I have the base set, and a friend will be buying Intrigue at some point. I have heard that Alchemy is kinda broken so I would rule that one out. I have played a game with Adventures and really liked the traveler mechanic so I am leaning toward that.

What are people's opinions about the other expansions?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I really miss having "Buy all the expansions in release order, skipping Alchemy" in big unmissable text in the OP.

edit: to answer your question, all the expansions are good, except alchemy, and the preferred order to experience them is release order (because they get better the later they were developed, but the earlier ones weren't bad and need to be experienced), except alchemy.

edit 2: the order is dominion > intrigue > seaside > prosperity > cornucopia > hinterlands > dark ages > guilds > adventures

edit 3: alchemy has 2 cards that are good, if you wanna finish the set. they are herbalist and apprentice.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 8, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yo. If you liked the cool things in Adventures, get that. Don't wait for 9 other expansions. Look at some spoilers, pick out whichever xpacs you want (personally, I like Hinterlands and Adventures after Base+Intrigue). Just don't buy Alchemy.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

They (again, subtracting Alchemy which was supposed to come last) get more complex in order of release date which is why it's recommended to move that way. if you only have the base set right now there's almost always some banging rear end deals on ebay for bundles of expansions

e: tell your friend to not buy intrigue, scoop up this deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Rio-Domin...=item20ff0c1d44

dark ages, guilds/cornucopia, prosperity, and intrigue plus three promo cards for 95 bucks shipped, that is a screaming deal if you don't own any of them

deadwing fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 8, 2015

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

I really miss having "Buy all the expansions in release order, skipping Alchemy" in big unmissable text in the OP.

I guess I should mention that I go to a board/card game night every week where one guy owns and will sometimes bring every expansion, so I am not really interested in buying them all (unless I can get them real cheap).

deadwing posted:

if you only have the base set right now there's almost always some banging rear end deals on ebay for bundles of expansions

Thanks, I had not thought about eBay. I have a 30% off coupon to my local game store so I guess I'll use that on Adventures and keep an eye out for the older stuff on eBay.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Machai posted:

Thanks, I had not thought about eBay. I have a 30% off coupon to my local game store so I guess I'll use that on Adventures and keep an eye out for the older stuff on eBay.

check my edit since you replied after I found said banging rear end deal

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

LongDarkNight posted:

Colosseum is getting a reprint, about which I am ecstatic. Is Tiny Minstrel Games a reputable company or will I get ripped off on the Kickstarter?

TMG is totally legit and I'll definitely be backing this.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

deadwing posted:

check my edit since you replied after I found said banging rear end deal

oh wow, thats a good deal. thanks!

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Does the X-Wing Miniatures game work well as a team-game, e.g. in 2 vs. 2 scenarios?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I think of that book every time Cambridge Five gets played for event. :v:

deadwing posted:

They (again, subtracting Alchemy which was supposed to come last) get more complex in order of release date which is why it's recommended to move that way. if you only have the base set right now there's almost always some banging rear end deals on ebay for bundles of expansions

e: tell your friend to not buy intrigue, scoop up this deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Rio-Domin...=item20ff0c1d44

dark ages, guilds/cornucopia, prosperity, and intrigue plus three promo cards for 95 bucks shipped, that is a screaming deal if you don't own any of them

yeah all the non-alchemy xpacs are good (and even alchemy has a fair number of people who like it and a few good cards) but they step up in complexity more or less by release order, if not in rules then in how to figure out the way to use the cards.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Kaddish posted:

TMG is totally legit and I'll definitely be backing this.

Yah they just posted pics of their Orléans editions and it looks amazing. The cardboard all around is like twice as thick and the deluxe edition was a steal for the ridiculous amount of extra stuff it comes with. They actually even printed a bigger box for the deluxe edition.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

These Loving Eyes posted:

Does the X-Wing Miniatures game work well as a team-game, e.g. in 2 vs. 2 scenarios?

This is something I've wanted to try (in addition to simply playing more X-Wing in general) but I imagine it works better at higher point values.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

EBag posted:

Yah they just posted pics of their Orléans editions and it looks amazing. The cardboard all around is like twice as thick and the deluxe edition was a steal for the ridiculous amount of extra stuff it comes with. They actually even printed a bigger box for the deluxe edition.

Yep, got that email too. Pretty stoked, even if the hype about the game has cooled a bit. Should be getting it around the same time as Click Clack Lumberjack and possibly Keyflower. It's like early Christmas! Oh and it'll also come with the Bottlecap Viking game, it had neat little ships I suppose.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

These Loving Eyes posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't. Something to keep in mind though is that timing priority is given to empire ships, so you'll probably want to have the same faction on both sides. I could see it being really interesting though if you have both players on a team set up their movement without telling the teammate what you're doing.

Anyone know the official rules for flying empire vs empire or whatever?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

signalnoise posted:

Anyone know the official rules for flying empire vs empire or whatever?

Each ship comes with little chits with numbers that are two sided, a light and dark side. One player chooses light numbers and the other chooses dark. Or one uses the numbers l, and the other doesn't at all. Either is fine.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So you just flip a coin to see who gets priority I guess?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

signalnoise posted:

So you just flip a coin to see who gets priority I guess?

Yeah, this is actually how it's supposed to work. "Empire gets initiative on ties" is just a thing they threw into the manual as a sort of quickplay shorthand but official tournament rules are that ties get broken with a coinflip or die roll or something. Either the person with the lowest squad cost total gets it or, in the case of ties, the winner of the coinflip.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

A buddy got me Dead of Winter for my birthday, so we broke it out last night. We had fun, though it is a bad game. We didn't stand a chance the second game due to me losing our most valuable survivor right off the bat thanks to rolling the insta-death face of the exposure die. From there it was a slow march to our death in the face of dwindling morale.

An obscene amount of the rolls could be replaced with a coin flip, and though we did have a betrayer in round two, his objectives were so difficult he wouldn't have had enough time to complete them. We garnered the most fun out of trying to figure out if one of us was a traitor, and even that's handled better by Resistance or One-Night Ultimate Werewolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Is it me or did no one loving mention Ca$h 'n Guns as a high-tier thematic game that perfectly uses its components to convey theme? Because if not, what the gently caress guys.

I'm getting Shades of Tezla in soon as well. I can only hope my card sleeving will mitigate some of the mismatching--it's already the case because I have second edition of the base game that doesn't match up with expansion cards.

Also, just putting it out there; but fun...may not be the worst word in the world if it has obvious context of its most common definition--light-hearted amusement. Some games are "fun" in such a way that anyone can immediately relate "oh this is just simple entertaining filler" and still are good. It's getting to the boiling point where people are trigger fingers against three dumb letters.

An interesting tangent; there was a point made on occasion that the often cited "bad games" often are hard to recommend alternatives to. A good example, while not an outright bad game, is Catan. Frankly, there aren't better direct alternatives to Settlers of Catan. I can tout Archipelago as much as I want for taking trading, expansion, and development to a wonderful level; but its not nearly as lightweight and snippy as Settlers. I guess one can blame the lack of direct trading in modern euros for Catan's lack of heirs, but it's just one cited game that kind of fits a niche no other games have yet to fill despite there being room for improvements.

My point to this whole conjecture is that I've given up a bit on making GBS threads on certain scorned games when there are not enough alternatives for someone to play instead. Thank god deck-builders don't have this problem :v: