Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

They're definitely in the game now, as I ran into one earlier as well, but going from the chat in that match it's still supertesters only.

From what I understand they are available for people at gamescom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann posted:

So I just started playing this today, haven't really touched Wargaming games in ages; used to be really into WoT.

This game strikes me as a slower, more methodical WoT. And I'm fine with that. Been giving the IJN Destroyers a try. Finally had a game where I topped the board.

Man, when things work out destroyers are fun as poo poo. Anyone got any advice?

Quoting this, since it seems to have gotten missed.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

xthetenth posted:

FOG_VikingFuneral_Bismarck

But that's Shokaku's thing. More apt would be FOG_TargetShip_Bismarck.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Finally had a really good game in my Ibuki. I take back 55% of the bad stuff I said about it.

Replay Link

This was a pretty close game. Also there was a :siren:Tirpitz:siren: if you want to see one.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

fire torpedoes into chokepoints for 20 minutes

e: not from behind your teammates

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I ran into my favorite pubbie while playing my Murmansk. CAPTAIN_SAIGON_18 Aka a terrible carrier player who cant even manage a 1000 xp average per battle in a loving carrier. Also loves complaining nonstop about premium ships, any time a premium does something he froths at the mouth. This time it was me avoiding all his dive bombers and torpedo planes with around 800 hp in a Murmansk because he cant aim for poo poo.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
People keep complaining about the Albany but I have not had a bad game in it. I loaded some AP and just tore it up. It ended being me with 1/3 health against 2 1/3 health cruisers at close range around an island and I killed them both with about 500hp left.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I broke through and started shooting a carrier in my Aoba a couple nights ago and the guy called me a "premium bitch" ???

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

One Tirpitz? How about 4? :stonklol:

Dat black and white camo.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
50k Wehraboos in their shiny new Tirpitz's getting obliterated by carriers might be the thing that finally spurs WG into a carrier rebalance. That thing has the worst AA of the tier 8 BB's and compared to the Atago, which is more maneuverable and has the AA scatter ability (and the Atlanta which has that great American AA), the Tirpitz is almost a sitting duck. I just saw one get completely destroyed in a single Shokaku pass.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

cheese posted:

50k Wehraboos in their shiny new Tirpitz's getting obliterated by carriers might be the thing that finally spurs WG into a carrier rebalance.

hah. Only when sales slow down.

my experiences with the cleaveland so far have in fact made me another stockholm syndrome case for the Furutaka. It's made of piss and poo poo, turns like a barge, it's turrets also turn like individual barges, and its awkward place between cruiser and battleship let it get beat up by both as well as cocky DDs, and you have to show your broadside to bring more than two turrets to bear. But boy oh boy if you can get someone else to take the heat for you those 203mm guns are such a good sweet spot for citadelling other cruisers, the HE gives decent numbers per salvo for deck shots and the flat & fast trajectory make them fairly easy to aim.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

I mean, you seem to be doing pretty well.

It gets harder (impossible) to kamikaze torpedo run enemy ships as you get higher in tiers. If you're not doing that, then the basic principles are the same.

Press P to disable your AA guns so you can be stealthier. Turn them back on if getting spotted doesn't matter. That's all I have.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Shadiiw posted:

Started this game yesterday and its a lot of fun. thinking about going down the US tree for Cruisers and CV. Is there any good tips for ships or ship lines to avoid? I mean as there is in WoT. Or is there even any ships that I would be stupid to miss out on? (I am also thinking about going something in the IJN line, any ships that are fun to use there?)

I'm only at the T6 independence but I'd say avoid carriers. I'm running into a shitload of cruisers that just destroy anything I have and leave me completely useless.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
FOG_Seamen_of_Allah
FOG_Allahs_Seamen

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

demonR6 posted:

FOG is yet another way of my differentiating myself from the lesser desireable Fog clan because everyone knows ALL CAPS means my clan has the better clan tag.

I am gleefully anticipating tonight being able to run into some Foggets so if you see me on soloing and want a piece of the action by all means lets troll away.

10th I like that VikingFuneral spin on it.

What ever happened to the idea of creating a SEAMEN clan?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Since it gets easier to kill DDs as you go up in tiers, how are the US DDs doing so well with the shorter torp range? Are they just shooting guns and killing other DDs?

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
In my wickes class dd on faultline, I spot a pack of 2 arkansas, a wyoming, and south carolina on a course that will take them very close to an island. I realize I have a once in a blue moon opportunity here, so here is a diagram of my plan, with me in green, the south carolina in red, and the wyoming in pink.

I score 15 torpedo hits in the next 40 seconds or so. Surprisingly, the wyoming ate 6 torpedoes and kept trucking and had to be finished off with another round of torpedoes.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
I wish they would up the XP rewards for co-op battles a bit. I kinda enjoy how they're nearly impossible to lose and thus, how relaxing they are to do.

I would totally be down for turning my brain off for a couple of hours while I grind a ship away in background co-op while I'm doing something else in the meantime, but every time I look at the experience rewards, it's just such a heartbreaker.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Dalael posted:

What ever happened to the idea of creating a SEAMEN clan?

We don't have clans in botes yet. But imagine the glory a clan full of FOG_trolls that is aptly named SEAMN..

How can we go wrong with saying poo poo in chat like:

Ahoy thailors! Join the premier LGBT clan in WoWS... SEAMN! If you want to join bunch of hot, sweaty, shaved men who would like nothing more than to shoot their hot loads at other men then SEAMN is the clan for you. If you like toga parties on the lido deck, oil wrestling on the poop deck, walking a long hard plank or even cuddling in the rack together then join our clan! WE have our own Teamspeak server and ever Wednesday and Friday night is disco night where we shoot our hot loads while singing to the best of Gloria Gaynor, Peaches & Cream, Village People and Lipps Inc. to name a few!

I'm sold already..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 8, 2015

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

demonR6 posted:

We don't have clans in botes yet. But imagine the glory a clan full of FOG_trolls that is aptly named SEAMN..

I'm totally okay with the clan being full of parody FOG names. Like FOG_Neckbeard_Weeaboat.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wolfman101 posted:

I score 15 torpedo hits in the next 40 seconds or so. Surprisingly, the wyoming ate 6 torpedoes and kept trucking and had to be finished off with another round of torpedoes.

Honestly, the absolute most annoying thing is when you make an enemy destroyer you're knifefighting with eat a torpedo and he manages to survive. Ships that small really shouldn't have any appreciable torpedo protection, so who knows how that damage modelling is working. Think the worst I've seen is one somehow take two and keep on trucking. Admittedly at well below 1000 hp, but when the combined damage of those torpedoes was well over 35000, it's a bit irritating.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I've had several enemy DDs survive two torp hits 85% go down in a single hit though.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Had a game with this guy in it tonight. I wonder how much money he has spent converting xp to already have a Des Moines, Montana, and Shimakaze. Plus whatever the Yubari cost and around $40 each for Atago and Atlanta.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

grrarg posted:

Had a game with this guy in it tonight. I wonder how much money he has spent converting xp to already have a Des Moines, Montana, and Shimakaze. Plus whatever the Yubari cost and around $40 each for Atago and Atlanta.

:captainpop: Well, he clearly likes this game *very* much, that's for sure.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

grrarg posted:

Holy crap man, and i thought i spent too much.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I mean, you seem to be doing pretty well.

It gets harder (impossible) to kamikaze torpedo run enemy ships as you get higher in tiers. If you're not doing that, then the basic principles are the same.

Press P to disable your AA guns so you can be stealthier. Turn them back on if getting spotted doesn't matter. That's all I have.

Well, I mean, my winrate is 43%. I don't often find great situations in which to make use of my DD abilities. Run up, spot the enemy, hang back, fire torpedoes at ranges way too far to have any real luck of hitting, die.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

demonR6 posted:

How can we go wrong with saying poo poo in chat like:

Ahoy thailors! Join the premier LGBT clan in WoWS... SEAMN! If you want to join bunch of hot, sweaty, shaved men who would like nothing more than to shoot their hot loads at other men then SEAMN is the clan for you. If you like toga parties on the lido deck, oil wrestling on the poop deck, walking a long hard plank or even cuddling in the rack together then join our clan! WE have our own Teamspeak server and ever Wednesday and Friday night is disco night where we shoot our hot loads while singing to the best of Gloria Gaynor, Peaches & Cream, Village People and Lipps Inc. to name a few!

I'm sold already..

:stonklol:

Holy gently caress, you have to save this somewhere and promise me this will happen when Botes clan comes out. It would be my pleasure to link this in chat and screenshot anything said after this.

Its so drat beautiful, it brings a tear to my eye.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Hey, does anyone know what the hell is going on with the CV torp drops? It seems like there's an exploit whereby you can get your planes to drop their torpedos in a column, I saw a CV do it tonight twice on purpose. The first, it turned a spread of torps into an undodgeable column.

Then he did it again, ineffectively, against an Omaha.

I've seen it in the wild in other games, too.

I'd assumed it was some sort of random bug, but given how often I'm seeing it now, I suspect it's actually something that can be done at will under the right conditions. :raise:

Edit: vvvvvvvv I was driving my Arkansas, which has exactly zero AA guns, and although there was a cruiser nearby, he was a Kuma, not much AA from him either. I don't think it was panic drop. Usually panic drops get a really wide spread, not tight. That said, it could be a glitch with the panic mechanics (IE, induced spread mechanics) that's causing it in some bizarre way.

Later Edit: some more research reveals this is a known issue / mechanic with planes auto-dropping against turning ships and their subsequent course predictions. I dunno how they managed this when my Ark wasn't turning at all, but, pff, screw it. :shrug:

Sneaky Kettle fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 8, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

I only ever see drops like that when the squad is panic dropping, idk?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Well, I mean, my winrate is 43%. I don't often find great situations in which to make use of my DD abilities. Run up, spot the enemy, hang back, fire torpedoes at ranges way too far to have any real luck of hitting, die.

Destroyer play is pretty situational but there are few things that you can really do.

Figure out your concealment distance, and how effectively enemy ships can shoot at you around that range. At low tiers, cruisers and other destroyers will fire dodgeable shots, but battleships can shotgun you.

Figure out how to predict a maneuvering ship's course from the way the auto-lead indicator moves. You can still hit ships that try to turn away from you, depending on the particular situation you're in.

Figure out how to surprise enemy ships. Distracted ships don't dodge torps well. Unaware ships don't either. Destroyers shouldn't hang around right beside the battle line (Until the Kagero), but very near it so that there's always something else to shoot besides you.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Some idiot on my team made a racist un-PC joke abut black lives matter and both teams spent the rest of the game calling him out for being a racist piece of poo poo :unsmith:

The very next game, I sank an Omaha with my Furutaka, gave the player polite and helpful advice about how to play the ship when they complained about luck (I think my words were "point the nose of the ship at the enemy and wiggle, they can't hit your citadel and you don't lose firepower") and got this wonderful meltdown:

I never called him a bad player, and never even mentioned win rate until he said he was a better player than me. It's all literally anger at me explaining why he died and how he could prevent it. And I didn't even catch the best parts. :allears:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Mostly happens with auto drops, if something strange happens, maybe you changed your heading too soon and they where in the process of dropping, freaking the AI out

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

James Garfield posted:

Some idiot on my team made a racist un-PC joke abut black lives matter and both teams spent the rest of the game calling him out for being a racist piece of poo poo :unsmith:

The very next game, I sank an Omaha with my Furutaka, gave the player polite and helpful advice about how to play the ship when they complained about luck (I think my words were "point the nose of the ship at the enemy and wiggle, they can't hit your citadel and you don't lose firepower") and got this wonderful meltdown:

I never called him a bad player, and never even mentioned win rate until he said he was a better player than me. It's all literally anger at me explaining why he died and how he could prevent it. And I didn't even catch the best parts. :allears:

LordCommanderMatthew posted:

If anyone says anything about my play or skill, I reject it because I know my abilities.

In other words: I know I suck at this game, and telling me how to improve is pointless because I am so loving terrible at this game, I couldn't improve even if I tried.

I really hope this guy doesn't play WoT and say that kind of poo poo in a game in which Hellsau is playing :stare:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

grrarg posted:

1900 average xp for a non carrier player is pretty impressive.

So is 30% acuracy in battleships.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dalael posted:

In other words: I know I suck at this game, and telling me how to improve is pointless because I am so loving terrible at this game, I couldn't improve even if I tried.

I really hope this guy doesn't play WoT and say that kind of poo poo in a game in which Hellsau is playing :stare:

I'd love to see what Hellsau would do to him.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
If we're gonna compare numbers, how do these look for main battery hit ratio percents ?

St Louis 40%
Phoenix 40%
Omaha 36%
Murmansk 35%
Cleveland 27%

South Carolina 36%
Arkansas Beta 28%
Wyoming 21%

What other numbers differentiate "Competent" players from the "Needs reminders to breathe routinely" types ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
For some reasons I had better accuracy in the Colorado than in the North Carolina.
I'm bad.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Eh I don't think hit ratio percentages tell you very much given battleship dispersion, and a high hit percentage in a cruiser probably means you are not shooting enough or getting too close. Average XP per game is probably the best way to judge competency.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Just had a great game in my Kuma. I really don't see what people have against this ship. Nice guns, great RoF. Its almost as good as the phoenix in every which way.

Now if I could only stop playing cruisers the way I play destroyers, I could really do something awesome with that ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Krogort posted:

For some reasons I had better accuracy in the Colorado than in the North Carolina.
I'm bad.

Yet I'm willing to bet your average damage is still higher on the North Carolina. My NC accuracy is lower than my Colorado but I honestly think it has more to do with the fact you can fire at much further ranges so you're probably not hitting as often due to the dispersion than poor accuracy.

EDIT:

grrarg posted:

Eh I don't think hit ratio percentages tell you very much given battleship dispersion, and a high hit percentage in a cruiser probably means you are not shooting enough or getting too close. Average XP per game is probably the best way to judge competency.

This pretty much. I have about 7% lower accuracy on the NC, but my average damage is sitting at nearly 60k compared to 41k on the Colorado. As well as my avg experience is about 200 higher as well on the NC. Also still getting used to the longer range.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 8, 2015