Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

edit wrong thread

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Late to the party...

How bad am I with money for paying only $25 less per month for health insurance than noted person who has been shot nine times, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson? His deductible is probably lower than mine too.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Unamuno posted:

Late to the party...

How bad am I with money for paying only $25 less per month for health insurance than noted person who has been shot nine times, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson? His deductible is probably lower than mine too.

Do you have his abdominal section?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Picking up a new language is mostly trivial once you know how to code - there's some intangible understanding you need to gain but once you have it, you're golden.

e: the derails thread....I'm sorry

Not to continue the derail, but Could you elaborate further? Or post a link to an appropriate thread? I won't post my personal story here but I'm very interested in more information.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Unamuno posted:

Late to the party...

Given that insurers can't health rate anymore, not very

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Series DD Funding posted:

Given that insurers can't health rate anymore, not very
There's also so much varience between states that it's comparing apples to oranges sometimes.

Here's a link to a picture, it may be old, phone posting blah blah http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/2013_09_ObamacareCosts_2.png

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
https://www.creditkarma.com/trends/state
https://www.creditkarma.com/trends/domain

There's also a trends by age.

Interestingly @live.com users have the worst credit, but @hotmail.com users have the second best. Microsoft :arghfist:!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Knyteguy posted:

Interestingly @live.com users have the worst credit, but @hotmail.com users have the second best. Microsoft :arghfist:!
Hotmail users are going to be probably ten years older on average than Live users and credit scores correlate strongly with age.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Knyteguy posted:

Man, Colorado. Great credit scores, fewer fat people, awesome mountains, great job market... please, don't come here.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Radbot posted:

Man, Colorado. Great credit scores, fewer fat people, awesome mountains, great job market... please, don't come here.
Don't forget the legal :420:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Radbot posted:

Isn't Denver getting crazy expensive?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Blinkman987 posted:

Isn't Denver getting crazy expensive?

Yes, it's ridiculously expensive, especially if you want to buy. Houses are going for tens of thousands over asking price, in cash, same day as listing.

Luckily I locked in the low-cost-of-living lifestyle in my house rented from a senile old woman that doesn't seem to understand that she can raise her rents more than 2% each year, so that's pretty cool.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Radbot posted:

Yes, it's ridiculously expensive, especially if you want to buy. Houses are going for tens of thousands over asking price, in cash, same day as listing.

Luckily I locked in the low-cost-of-living lifestyle in my house rented from a senile old woman that doesn't seem to understand that she can raise her rents more than 2% each year, so that's pretty cool.

What happens when she dies?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Boot and Rally posted:

What happens when she dies?

Her heirs sell the property and all buy boats

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

canyoneer posted:

Her heirs sell the property and all buy boats

Isn't Colorado landlocked?

So they'll also need SUVs and trailers to haul those boats

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Radbot posted:

This is basically the case in any of the desirable, economically-booming urban areas where people actually want to live. Denver, Austin, Seattle, of course places like SF and NYC, etc.

A lot of it is unfortunately driven by foreign investment, as well, not even by owner-occupiers or landlords. I know that in places like Seattle and Vancouver, BC places are getting bought up in all cash and no inspections and then sitting empty because it's some wealthy Chinese person's off-shore backup plan.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 7, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Green Mind posted:

Any GWM recommendations for a code bootcamp? So from what I've gathered, just picking a language is tough enough. I really just want to make a good salary. I can make 70k a year driving a truck but my sanity, health and relationships will always suffer. Plus it's a 70 hour week every week. Right now I get one day off for every week I work. Typing this from a truck stop in PA right now while my GF is in Reno.

From what I've been learning in code school, I understand the framework and whatnot, I feel confident in my ability to learn this stuff.

Javascript. Learn Javascript, most of the stuff people are talking about are js libraries that enable javascript to be coded more easily. Javascript looks and feels like C++ and runs basically allllll the frontend web development in the world. Learn how to code in it and then if you want to gently caress with another language, you just really have to learn syntax if you get the logic down.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Weatherman posted:

Isn't Colorado landlocked?

So they'll also need SUVs and trailers to haul those boats

Don't worry, Colorado has plenty of lakes for people to dump duffel bags full of cash into.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Knyteguy posted:

I would guess that hotmail users are also likely to be using hotmail as their spam/registration/whatever email vs a more modern provider, as well as being older. That must skew the results somehow.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Guinness posted:

This is basically the case in any of the desirable, economically-booming urban areas where people actually want to live. Denver, Austin, Seattle, of course places like SF and NYC, etc.

A lot of it is unfortunately driven by foreign investment, as well, not even by owner-occupiers or landlords. I know that in places like Seattle and Vancouver, BC places are getting bought up in all cash and no inspections and then sitting empty because it's some wealthy Chinese person's off-shore backup plan.

It honestly kinda surprises me that so many countries allow foreigners to buy residential properties, who don't have a visa to live there indefinitely.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Guinness posted:

This is basically the case in any of the desirable, economically-booming urban areas where people actually want to live.
You do realize that there are a lot of people who have no desire to live in a hippy-filled urban area, right?

I like the Piedmont Triad area of NC because it's a desirable, economically booming somewhat-urban area where people actually want to live. And you can buy a 4 bedroom, 3-bath house on two acres in a nice neighborhood with good public schools for $200k.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

You do realize that there are a lot of people who have no desire to live in a hippy-filled urban area, right?

I like the Piedmont Triad area of NC because it's a desirable, economically booming somewhat-urban area where people actually want to live. And you can buy a 4 bedroom, 3-bath house on two acres in a nice neighborhood with good public schools for $200k.

You still live in North Carolina, and no amount of "Research Triangle" can counter the rest of the godawful state.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I have a real hard time parsing "desirable" and "4 br, 3 ba for 200k" in the same post.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Why go to a doctor when you can buy vaccines that totally not rat poison on the Dark Net?

quote:

Is it possible to buy certain travel vaccines - such as for Hepatitis A, Malaria, & Typhoid on DNMs?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkNetMarkets/comments/3g5tni/buying_vaccines_on_dnm/

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Dik Hz posted:

I've been traveling to a project in GSO at least monthly for the last year and a half and I find it adorable you think it's somewhat urban.

Anza Borrego fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 8, 2015

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My new guilty pleasure is reading / watching US students talk about their insane student loans for the worst degrees ever.

$95k to study to be an actress? Check.

$114k for 2 rounds of god knows what at university? Check.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/24/pf/college/student-debt-100000/

It's insane and sad that people have to get in this much debt for pretty much nothing.

I'm getting 6 years (½ a year wasted on unrelated stuff) of university studies for ~55k (loan for living costs) @ ~1% interest, with a guaranteed job after, that will enable me to easily pay it down.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

My new guilty pleasure is reading / watching US students talk about their insane student loans for the worst degrees ever.

It's insane and sad that people have to get in this much debt for pretty much nothing.

I'm getting 6 years (½ a year wasted on unrelated stuff) of university studies for ~55k (loan for living costs) @ ~1% interest, with a guaranteed job after, that will enable me to easily pay it down.

Yeah, it's pretty broken. $114k guy might not be too bad, depending on what his field of study is, Columbia is an excellent school. OTOH, he's looking at government work for loan forgiveness, so I have a feeling it's nothing terribly lucrative.

Dropping out of med/law school must be insane :psyduck:

I was procrastinating starting one of my assignments bored tonight and crunched the numbers in light of some new information: even paying international student tuition (full disclosure: with a 25% discount scholarship that wasn't that hard to get) here in Australia, my two-year Master's is only costing about US$6k more than doing it back in Florida, which is known for its cheap in-state tuition. Coincidentally, my take-home starts off almost exactly US$6k higher here, and that gap only widens, and doesn't include any of the other perks (healthcare, 9.5% superannuation, etc).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shipon posted:

You still live in North Carolina, and no amount of "Research Triangle" can counter the rest of the godawful state.
It's not my first choice, but the people are nice and there are mountains and oceans nearby. People have different tastes, y'know.

Noggin Monkey posted:

I've been traveling to a project in GSO at least monthly for the last year and a half and I find it adorable you think it's somewhat urban.
Urban means different things to different people. I lived in inner-city Baltimore for years. I'm pretty sure I know what urban is, though. Also, come on over to Winston-Salem if you don't like Greensboro.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 8, 2015

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Is the Singapore government-mandated savings scheme BWM? It's criticized as being a ponzi scheme. Singaporeans are required to contribute 15% of their income (with 15% mandatory employer match) where they get either 4 or 6% return.

This article makes an argument that most people will not be able to retire under the current rules.

quote:

1. Make Singaporeans pay the highest CPF contribution rates in the world
2. Split the CPF OA and SMA interest rates so that they can give differential rates and create the illusion that a small part of your money is earning a higher interest rate, so that it’s easier to give you a lower rate on the other.
3. Give Singaporeans the lowest CPF interest rates ever – the 2.5% interest rate that we receive now is what the CPF was earning in 1955 and is possibly the lowest rates anywhere in this world.
4. Calculate how much they would have forced Singaporeans to accumulate into the CPF, then…
5. Give people the illusion that the HDB flat is something that we should own so that we would want to buy a flat. Then increase the prices of the flats (since they own public housing anyway and can decide price increases at their whims and fancies) by precisely calculating how much Singaporeans should pay to almost wipe out their CPF (Leong Sze Hian and Han Hui Hui has shown how since 1980, the salary of an operator has only gone up roughly 2 times ($500 to $1,100) while a 3 room flat in Queenstown has gone up 17 times ($20,000 to $335,000).
6. Once that’s done, keep drilling in that we can use their CPF to buy their flat, and charge a high interest rate on borrowing from the CPF to repay the flat.
7. Create another trick by making us pay a 2.5% “accrued” interest rate on money that we do not have inside the CPF (and which we should not have to pay but who cares, since they think that we won’t understand anyway)?
8. Puts in a CPF Minimum Sum then spike it up so that after making Singaporeans wipe out almost all their CPF, lock in whatever is left in the CPF Minimum Sum to prevent Singaporeans from taking out our money.

http://thehearttruths.com/2014/04/02/truth-exposed-the-dirty-cpf-hdb-scheme-to-trick-singaporeans/2/

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Dik Hz posted:

It's not my first choice, but the people are nice and there are mountains and oceans nearby. People have different tastes, y'know.

Urban means different things to different people. I lived in inner-city Baltimore for years. I'm pretty sure I know what urban is, though. Also, come on over to Winston-Salem if you don't like Greensboro.

Don't ruffle your feathers about it. There is a guy that always posts about his cheap COL near Des Moines I believe and gets poo poo on every time for some reason because lol fly over states. Goons can't believe that anyone can truly be happy outside of an overpriced urban area full of people in their 20s. I live in the Madison, WI area for what it's worth. Not a booming metropolis but housing prices are reasonable outside the city center and me and my boyfriend have good jobs that we enjoy. Haters are just gonna hate.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My city has a movement called Keep Charlotte Boring. I love this boring place, and there actually is a lot to do, especially if you like to be outdoors.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Charlotte has both an NFL and an NBA team. I don't think that is even in the same League as Omaha or Des Moines.

(I live in Omaha, and don't mind it, except for the winter)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

TLG James posted:

(I live in Omaha, and don't mind it, except for the winter)

I live in Omaha as well, but I commute to Lincoln and the other day at work they were trying to sell a job candidate on the area and said Lincoln was a nice city and not full of crime like a big city like Omaha :allears: I'm from DC originally so I just quietly chuckled to myself.

Flyover states aren't bad if you've never lived anywhere else but having to drive three hours to Kansas City to experience anything remotely like a city is slowly killing me.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
drat, I covered the cost of my undergrad by working summers full time, during the year part time and co-ops. I got paid to do my PhD and came out with $50k in the bank.

Paying $100k for an undergrad degree is insane.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

MrOnBicycle posted:

Thats cause useful degrees can be even more insane. $300k for a MD? Check.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Sepherothic posted:

Why go to a doctor when you can buy vaccines that totally not rat poison on the Dark Net?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkNetMarkets/comments/3g5tni/buying_vaccines_on_dnm/

To be fair, the 'travel medicine' scam is pretty insidious. Regular doctors (as in, ones covered by your insurance) refuse to write scripts for or carry vaccines that have suddenly been declared as 'travel', so you have to pay some scam prescription mill "Doctor" $200 for a consult plus $Texas for the actual vaccines.

But I mean, for gently caress's sake, deal with it and go to a doctor, don't buy injectable drugs on the Internet :psyduck:

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

MrOnBicycle posted:

To be fair there are a LOT of students that took on debt thinking they had a "guaranteed job after".

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

drat Your Eyes! posted:

To be fair there are a LOT of students that took on debt thinking they had a "guaranteed job after".

No, all of those people are idiots, I'm the one doing everything right

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

drat Your Eyes! posted:

Well it's an M.D so. I'll amend my statement: If I don't die or something, I'll be guaranteed a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Bisty Q. posted:

To be fair, the 'travel medicine' scam is pretty insidious. Regular doctors (as in, ones covered by your insurance) refuse to write scripts for or carry vaccines that have suddenly been declared as 'travel', so you have to pay some scam prescription mill "Doctor" $200 for a consult plus $Texas for the actual vaccines.

But I mean, for gently caress's sake, deal with it and go to a doctor, don't buy injectable drugs on the Internet :psyduck:

If anyone needs travel vaccines, some CVS will provide Hep A and B vaccinations and it was free with my insurance. The Typhoid vaccine I had to go to some specialty clinic that did not accept insurance and kept trying to hardsell a consultation. Because it's so difficult to go to the CDC website and look up the suggested vaccines for wherever you're going. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread