Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

bizwank posted:

Just got back from having the TDI ECM update done on my A3 and can confirm it's improved low-speed shifts immensely. All the jerky engine braking is gone as well as the dead spot around 1800 RPM. Also it didn't reset any of my vag-com tweaks, so I'm a happy camper.
What year A3 do you have? My folks 2012 A3 TDI DSG has this problem but the VIN lookup doesn't list *any* recalls for it.. Ironic, because they just received notification for something else in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

2011; the letter said "certain 2010-2014 TDI A3s" so maybe not all of them were effected? They should probably just call their dealership and ask. What was the notice they received?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Had my 12 golf tdi in for 60k service and they did an ecu flash also and it cleared up low speed jerkiness of the dsg. The pull is smooth now at 1800 rpm also.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2007 GTI, 56,000 kms, 6 spd, stock. Had a couple questions now that I've had the car for ~6 months.

1: After driving for 45min+ in 6th gear on the highway, the first clutch pedal depression feels firmer than usual. All subsequent clutch pedal depressions feel normal. Is this just heat soak or something?

2: In low-RPM, high-load situations (accelerating up a hill in 5th or 6th gear, RPM 1700-2600), when I decrease throttle input the car behaves in a way that feels very much like a single stutter/misfire. I'm talking about right after a change from 80% throttle to 40% or similar. Is this the drive-by-wire stuff misbehaving? This never happens in other engine situations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My 06' A3 (the nearly identical Audi cousin) does the firm clutch thing every day when I come off the highway. It's done it since I bought it. I was concerned at first but I've put 50k kms on it at this point with no incident and just think it's a weird design quirk.

The second issue I can't say I've noticed. The 2.0L turbo certainly isn't a huge fan of accelerating in a high gear at low RPMs but that's the nature of a small displacement turbo engine.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Anyone have thoughts regarding break in on a new VW/Audi? Salesguy said that Audi "pre breaks in their engines" which kind of sounds like bullshit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would say it's not so much an issue with new cars but it should be in the owner's manual.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

I would say it's not so much an issue with new cars but it should be in the owner's manual.

Read the manual? Let's not be unreasonable!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

"Drive it like you stole it and sell it before 60,000 miles/96,560 kilometers" -- Audi Owner's Manual

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mat_Drinks posted:

OR the Porsche thread, where at one point there was discussion about someone needed to be towed because of a sensor failure after washing his car. :v: ;)

Actually I'm pretty sure that was a Lamborghini which is a VAG product :v:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mat_Drinks posted:

Anyone have thoughts regarding break in on a new VW/Audi? Salesguy said that Audi "pre breaks in their engines" which kind of sounds like bullshit.
My S4 had a "break in" portion in the manual. Just the usual "vary the RPM, don't drive at a constant RPM for a long period of time, allow the engine to warm up, etc."

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure that was a Lamborghini which is a VAG product :v:

Nah, it was a Cayman sensor that failed due to static electricity if I remember correctly. I checked the new Porsche thread and couldn't find the post, I think it might have been in the old Porsche thread. Not that Lamborghini couldn't have the same issue too though.

Mr. Apollo posted:

My S4 had a "break in" portion in the manual. Just the usual "vary the RPM, don't drive at a constant RPM for a long period of time, allow the engine to warm up, etc."

Did it say anything about using or not using launch control? The S3 I'm buying won't have been on any test drives, but when I took one for a test drive the sales guy had me take it through the LC process (which is bonkers fun). Only after the fact did I notice it only had 300 miles on it. It was warmed up and everything, and I mentioned the low miles for LC which is when he responded with the "pre break in" stuff.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mat_Drinks posted:

Nah, it was a Cayman sensor that failed due to static electricity if I remember correctly. I checked the new Porsche thread and couldn't find the post, I think it might have been in the old Porsche thread. Not that Lamborghini couldn't have the same issue too though.

Did it say anything about using or not using launch control? The S3 I'm buying won't have been on any test drives, but when I took one for a test drive the sales guy had me take it through the LC process (which is bonkers fun). Only after the fact did I notice it only had 300 miles on it. It was warmed up and everything, and I mentioned the low miles for LC which is when he responded with the "pre break in" stuff.
The manual doesn't specifically say anything about launch control but it does say "don't beat on the engine" in not so many words. As well, the section on launch control mentions several times about making sure the engine is properly warmed up and it's in good operating order, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Engine break in is a vestige that won't go away because people really think it still needs to be done. So manufacturers put a section in the manual.

It's bullshit.

This used to be a thing before computer controlled everything with super tight tolerances and is still a thing if you're rebuilding a motor by hand to some extent. Otherwise just drive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Motronic posted:

Engine break in is a vestige that won't go away because people really think it still needs to be done. So manufacturers put a section in the manual.

It's bullshit.

This used to be a thing before computer controlled everything with super tight tolerances and is still a thing if you're rebuilding a motor by hand to some extent. Otherwise just drive.

So manufactures put the break-in procedure in the manual because people expect it to be in there? That doesn't make any sense because the manuals changed no problem to tell you that oil changes are only needed once every 10k miles or so yet the every 3k miles thing is "a vestige that won't go away because people really think it still needs to be done."

There is bullshit here but it isn't coming from a manual.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, what I'm saying is hard to fact check. If only there were something that could search the entire internet for keyword like "engine break in on new cars" where you could look through the results and find reliable sources.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Motronic posted:

It's bullshit.

I like the idea of this and want it to be true. We don't use corded telephones in our houses any longer, we use small computers the also just happen to make 'phone calls', and cars have improved by leaps and bounds within the same timeframe, why wouldn't break in processes be a part of that? THE FUTURE IS NOW!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

Yeah, what I'm saying is hard to fact check. If only there were something that could search the entire internet for keyword like "engine break in on new cars" where you could look through the results and find reliable sources.

The information needed to fact check wouldn't be public anyway, because that'd be giving away trade secrets / yield information from their factory. AFAIK, it made sense when machining tolerances were loose enough that yeah, your engine was probably going to grind some shavings early in its life and that was completely normal. I think it's tight enough now that it's not an issue, but VAG would easily throw in a DTC / flag counter in the ECU that would allow them to deny a warranty claim because the ECU reported some number of excursions of "suggested limits" while the odo was below a certain reading.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I know a couple people in this thread have or had a mkV GTI/golf. I have a double-din deck coming in the mail and I've heard the double-din surrounds out there are pretty lovely. Can anyone recommend one or am I going to be best served by just buying any of them and having to blend it into the dash with bondo?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Picking this up tomorrow.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Picking this up tomorrow.

congrats! tint the windows with some huper optik!

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Not sure if this belongs here, but what are the most active A3/S3 focused forums out there?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

Not sure if this belongs here, but what are the most active A3/S3 focused forums out there?

I've owned my A3 for a few years now and I have no idea. The model isn't nearly as popular as its GTI cousin so it seems like discussion is all over.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Wicaeed posted:

Well you get varying degrees of intelligence (and lots of overlap), but the four I'll check once in a while for anything interesting related to my MQB S3 are:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?5319-A3-S3-RS-3-(MQB)
http://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-mkii-209/
http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/282-Typ-8V-(MQB)-Specific
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/forums/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis.244/ (more UK centric)

They also have specific forums for older A3 models, and there's also some relatively active Facebook A3/S3 groups.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Wicaeed posted:

mik hit it, but they're not very active. Mostly just people talking about tuning and some pictures here and there. I think audizine is the 'best', followed by audiworld, then well, the vortex.

And actually, I think Audiworld is the most active.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 3, 2015

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Anyone have any experience mounting Advanced Laser Priority parking sensors to a late model A4?

Apparently the rear sensors are a pain to install for some reason, but I am not sure what it is or why. I also do not, as yet, own the car in question,

Any suggestions on where might be a good place to mount the remote and box for said sensors when I get the car and them? I am planning to go for a professional install, but want to be able to offer my preferences at least.

(If it makes any difference, they are entirely legal in CT, where I live and drive).

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm getting error P2271 from my O2 sensor on my 2010 Golf TDI, and the engine update didn't fix it.

I found this DIY guide to replace the 2nd Oxygen sensor.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?990129-DIY-Replacing-oxygen-sensors

Should I go ahead and do it? And why can't I find a cheap oxygen sensor?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm getting error P2271 from my O2 sensor on my 2010 Golf TDI, and the engine update didn't fix it.

I found this DIY guide to replace the 2nd Oxygen sensor.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?990129-DIY-Replacing-oxygen-sensors

Should I go ahead and do it? And why can't I find a cheap oxygen sensor?

FYI these O2 sensor codes are very frequently caused by something other than the sensor. Have you taken it to a shop at all? You could have something like an exhaust leak.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

VelociBacon posted:

FYI these O2 sensor codes are very frequently caused by something other than the sensor. Have you taken it to a shop at all? You could have something like an exhaust leak.

I'll give my local guy a call and see if he can take a look at it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just installed a new VW 1.8l in a Zamboni. When I turn the key I get one crank and then nothing.. this will repeat until I see smoke coming from the starter. I do not have the muffler hooked up yet but everything else seems to be in order. Has brand new plugs, but I haven't checked for spark yet. Battery is reading 12.5v.. not sure what it dips to when I crank though. Any ideas?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My coworker is doing the cam follower on his A4 and just found that the replacement part has an expiry date on the part bag. He bought it a long time ago so the expiry date is 2013.

Is that expiry date just for inventory control at the dealer (IF PAST THIS DATE CHECK FOR A NEW PART?)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I was on a road trip and my headlight started to flicker on and off. Eventually my headlight decided to give up and the headlight indicator turned on my dashboard.

I bring my car to my mechanic and he thinks its the headlight controller unit or even the whole headlight is busted. My mechanic fiddles with the controller unit and the headlight turns out to have both a bad HID bulb and controller unit. Unfortunately, the headlight won't turn off, the dashboard light stays on even while the headlight on. My mechanic doesn't seem to know what is going on. I paid him $230 for that diagnostic. This isn't to say I don't trust him, but I don't really want to keep paying for a diagnostic over and over again.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

obi_ant posted:

So I was on a road trip and my headlight started to flicker on and off. Eventually my headlight decided to give up and the headlight indicator turned on my dashboard.

I bring my car to my mechanic and he thinks its the headlight controller unit or even the whole headlight is busted. My mechanic fiddles with the controller unit and the headlight turns out to have both a bad HID bulb and controller unit. Unfortunately, the headlight won't turn off, the dashboard light stays on even while the headlight on. My mechanic doesn't seem to know what is going on. I paid him $230 for that diagnostic. This isn't to say I don't trust him, but I don't really want to keep paying for a diagnostic over and over again.

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

What model and make of car? Was the headlight and ballast replaced?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

8ender posted:

What model and make of car? Was the headlight and ballast replaced?

Ah yes. It's a 2008 GTI; the headlight and the ballast was not replaced only the controller unit under the headlight. I assume you're thinking I need to replace the whole headlight?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Ah yes. It's a 2008 GTI; the headlight and the ballast was not replaced only the controller unit under the headlight. I assume you're thinking I need to replace the whole headlight?

I'm not 100% if it applies to your car but I think the headlight controller unit needs to be coded to your car with something like VCDS. Maybe others in this thread could elaborate.

My A3 is 2006 and has halogens so I think I escaped that bullshit.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
My 2010 VW GTI got totaled this past weekend in a rear-end collision (I was at rest in a traffic jam and got hit from behind by teen going 50mph in a pickup). Total loss adjustor gave me an offer just shy of $19k for the car's value including taxes/fees. Car was at 61,500 miles and was in good condition. Should I take this offer and run? I honestly was expecting an offer of 15k at most.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

theDOWmustflow posted:

My 2010 VW GTI got totaled this past weekend in a rear-end collision (I was at rest in a traffic jam and got hit from behind by teen going 50mph in a pickup). Total loss adjustor gave me an offer just shy of $19k (car value + tax and fees). Should I take this offer and run? I honestly was expecting an offer of 15k at most.

Mind driving coming over with your adjuster and totaling my 2010 GTI? $19k is more than I paid for mine in 2012.

Sounds like a bad crash though, hopefully you're ok.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Yeah, I figured, haha.

Also yeah I came out otherwise unscathed with only a couple minor injuries and scrapes, thanks for asking. I happened to be in a middle of a move and the back was packed to the brim with pillows, blankets, and laundry at the time of the accident. I feel like that factored into my relative survivability, although I'm not sure if accident physics works that way.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Give it a few days. Also, I'm guessing they were texting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

theDOWmustflow posted:

My 2010 VW GTI got totaled this past weekend in a rear-end collision (I was at rest in a traffic jam and got hit from behind by teen going 50mph in a pickup). Total loss adjustor gave me an offer just shy of $19k for the car's value including taxes/fees. Car was at 61,500 miles and was in good condition. Should I take this offer and run? I honestly was expecting an offer of 15k at most.

Ouch, sorry to hear that.

I know these cars hold their value pretty well, but $19,000 seems like an insane amount of money for a car with that age and mileage. Take it, run to a dealership, and put it down on a Mk7.