Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

No pics, but I witnessed some awful Jeep stuff last week while on a road trip with the family. In NC and VA, which are notorious for poo poo drivers, I noticed a handful of new-ish Jeeps with the fenders hacked off and replaced with these little black plastic pieces covered in bolt heads. Is this A Thing now? Mind you, these were spotless and being driven on the freeway.

I saw my first one earlier this week, in OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My wife: honey, what does "I'm nofers" mean?
Me: um, what?
Wife: *points to car next to us at stop light*

https://instagram.com/imnofrs/

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheNakedJimbo posted:

This is probably terrible car stuff, although I suppose there's a small possibility that this upstanding gentleman actually did install giant vertical exhaust pipes (on his gas-engined pickup) without removing the old exhaust pipes.

But it certainly does appear those imaginary pipes are bolted to a piece of plywood resting on the bed of his truck, with a bunch of random metal pieces on top of it to keep it from sliding all over the bed while the truck is moving.

Maybe it's all genuine and maybe the terrible car stuff is my ignorance; I'll let you be the judge.

That looks more like some assembly is being transported unassembled and bolted to its 'packaging'

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I guess that could be parts for something. I did see that for real once recently- big dual stacks in the bed, but was gas powered and had the stock exhaust.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

El Jebus posted:

:lol: Don't confuse me with those Scion plebes, this is a fine piece of Subaru engineering.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

El Jebus posted:

It never fails to amuse me how proud these guys can be of their broken tire-eating junk.
"Yeah, I'm something special because I lowered my car so much it doesn't work, and I'm willing to live with it."

I get low, I get aesthetics, but intentionally making your car into a nearly non-functional art piece, and then trying to drive it? Never got that. I like to be able to drive my car, and not destroy tires and various bits of undercarriage. He's done nothing to improve anything to that BRZ. I guarantee it's slower and rides and handles worse than it did stock.
In other news, get off my lawn, I guess.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

El Jebus posted:

I didn't know advertising your intsagram url on your car was a thing now. :psyduck:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I love the shape of that trunk now and forever. My next door neighbor bought one of those new and it looked so goddamn classy.

:hfive: Same here, it just has such a classy elegance to it, it's like the wedding gown train of rear ends. Just the shape of the back window and how it follows the car's contours...unngghhh :swoon:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If you're too freaked out about the lack of safety equipment in your 1940s Chevy truck to drive fast enough to keep up with freeway traffic, you might not want to drive on the freeway.
Else you'll get rear ended by a tractor trailer and find out how many safety features are lacking.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Unfortunately the semi driver trying to avoid Slow Poke Joe there got the raw end of the deal and rolled the cab.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

No pics, but I witnessed some awful Jeep stuff last week while on a road trip with the family. In NC and VA, which are notorious for poo poo drivers, I noticed a handful of new-ish Jeeps with the fenders hacked off and replaced with these little black plastic pieces covered in bolt heads. Is this A Thing now? Mind you, these were spotless and being driven on the freeway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wrangler moke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powershift posted:

wrangler moke.

If The Prisoner had been produced by the WWF.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Uncle Jam posted:

If you're too freaked out about the lack of safety equipment in your 1940s Chevy truck to drive fast enough to keep up with freeway traffic, you might not want to drive on the freeway.
Else you'll get rear ended by a tractor trailer and find out how many safety features are lacking.

Uhm, that was a 1942 Lincoln Zephyr v12 coupe. Also, they were doing at least 55mph in the right lane, which is hardly so slow as to constitute a hazard -- trucker wasn't paying attention.
Car is owned by the owner of one of the only officially commissioned Contential MKII convertibles. (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/look-at-what-i-found-1956-continental-mark-ii-convertible-by-hess-eisenhardt/)
I assume this was in similarly good condition before the trucker murdered it.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 8, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

This is because the Wrangler has become the new minivan, so dads everywhere are desperately trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube by going hard gay on their Jeep with accessories and mods.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those jeeps would be very much illegal in Pennsylvania due to uncovered tires outside the body work. I'm assuming other states may have similar laws.

Don't drive behind those jeeps unless you enjoy gravel flung at your windscreen.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

nm posted:

Uhm, that was a 1942 Lincoln Zephyr v12 coupe. Also, they were doing at least 55mph in the right lane, which is hardly so slow as to constitute a hazard -- trucker wasn't paying attention.
Car is owned by the owner of one of the only officially commissioned Contential MKII convertibles. (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/look-at-what-i-found-1956-continental-mark-ii-convertible-by-hess-eisenhardt/)
I assume this was in similarly good condition before the trucker murdered it.

Big sorry. The newspaper said 1940s Chevy truck.
Going 55 there is suicide, the traffic moves at 80 and there are blind curves from jersey barriers all over.

Plus all the local surface streets there are 55 mph speed limit. If you want to go 55 its better to not use the highway there. There's tons of car shows here any people going to woodward and all the people I know don't use the freeway because its crazy in a newer car let alone one that has no crush zones.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the 80's were terrible though. Even the cars that are cool for that decade were smogged to poo poo or had all sorts of hideous safety stuff added to it before they knew how to do either of those correctly.

70s cars are worse, and also were hideous barring certain exceptions. 80s cars are actually pretty underrated.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
went to a car show last night

This is the worst car bra I have ever seen, and of course, it's on a Plymouth Prowler

from behind that hardtop makes it look like it hosed a PT Cruiser.

Also, when did these LED lights become a thing for Bel Airs? I've never seen any before

(the second one did have an Edelbrock/Musi 555ci under the hood though)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

neckbeard posted:

went to a car show last night

This is the worst car bra I have ever seen, and of course, it's on a Plymouth Prowler

from behind that hardtop makes it look like it hosed a PT Cruiser.

Do YOU own a Plymouth Prowler? Do YOU want it look even MORE like poo poo? Do I have some accessories for YOU!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

8ender posted:

This is because the Wrangler has become the new minivan, so dads everywhere are desperately trying to put the toothpaste back into the tube by going hard gay on their Jeep with accessories and mods.

Well that makes a certain amount of pathetic sense.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

neckbeard posted:

Also, when did these LED lights become a thing for Bel Airs? I've never seen any before

(the second one did have an Edelbrock/Musi 555ci under the hood though)

Makes it look like: :stonk:

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Those jeeps would be very much illegal in Pennsylvania due to uncovered tires outside the body work. I'm assuming other states may have similar laws.

Don't drive behind those jeeps unless you enjoy gravel flung at your windscreen.

It may be illegal, but the police have to actually enforce the law. I can go out to the store and see some truck/jeep/tough guy charger with the wheels sticking out from the bodywork. The police just don't bother to enforce the rules.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
PT Cruiser with chrome side exhausts!

note the real rear exhausts they didn't bother hiding.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Createive exhaust repair. At least it stops it from scraping on the ground.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ionn posted:

Createive exhaust repair. At least it stops it from scraping on the ground.

I wish it was tied to the other end of the wiper. *squeeee-clang squeee-clang*

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Wouldn't that tape just melt?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress is this?

It's ugly as gently caress

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's an Isuzu Vehicross, the greatest automobile ever made.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3844/Project-Isuzu-VehiCross-Part-1-What-Are-We-Getting-Ourselves-Into.aspx

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Geirskogul posted:

It looks like those cars you can drive on an EU scooter license.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

:getout:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It really needs a big windup key.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geirskogul posted:

I'm not sure AI is the place for you. Maybe W&W? Vehicrosses are like the definition of AI.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm sorry it looks like a big Gee Whiz. I read about the tech and that's cool but seriously

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

I'm sorry it looks like a big Gee Whiz. I read about the tech and that's cool but seriously

Keep in mind it came out almost 20 years ago. That thing was crazy ahead of its time in styling and tech.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
There are 2 of these near me. 1 Yellow/Black and 1 Black/Black. I legitimately keep an eye out for any for sale signs on them.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

Counterpoint: you drive a beetle, one of the most miserable cars ever produced outside of a Warsaw Pact country, and first built via slave labour.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

Counterpoint: you drive a beetle, one of the most miserable cars ever produced outside of a Warsaw Pact country, and first built via slave labour.

Counter Counter point, it's an aircooled thing, you wouldn't understand

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

No picture, but it was a mix of terrible and awesome.

Saw a fairly straight, but definitely in need of work, 280Z bombing down the road, bouncing like crazy. Pulled up next to him. Asked him what year. "80". Asked if he knew if his brake lights didn't work "I know.. I have a new wiring harness on the way".

Then I noticed the tags expired in 2004. :stare:

Guessing he just got it running very recently and wanted to see what it needed to get it roadworthy again - engine sounded pretty healthy, and he was beating on it pretty good. No smoke at all. I've only seen it on the road once since then.

Terrible because it was obviously very unroadworthy (no lights, shocks were basically non-existent, etc), awesome because the guy sounded like he planned to put some work into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

As an owner of a polarizing oddball, the Isuzu owns bones. Although I'm also a sucker for the so-ugly-it-looks-good school of automotive design.

I've only ever seen a few in person but it always makes me do a double take.