Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Enourmo posted:

God drat. I first started watching TDS in 2000, during the hour between South Park and DBZ. I was 12, and before that my news exposure consisted of news handouts in elementary school and watching, bored to tears, 24 hour Olympics coverage nonstop in the month or so before we got cable at that house.

The Indecision 2000 coverage flew over my head for the most part, but some of it clicked and I kept watching. I remember the post 9/11 episode, and how he was one of the few TV hosts who didn't get fully swept up in the big nationalistic frenzy in the years that followed, the leadup to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I fully credit him and George Carlin for my intellectual awakening (gently caress how pretentious does that sound, but it's loving true, ok?) going through my teenage years, through the utter bullshit of the Bush years and the financial crisis; through the highs of Obama's election and the hangover of the crushing realization that the country had not changed overnight and racism was not over; through the absolute shitstorm that has been the rise of the Tea Party and their war on everything that I and millions of other people hold dear; through the loving scourge of police violence over the last year and the dawning realization of just how far this country still has to go, Jon Stewart was always there to try and crack a joke, make people laugh for a minute, but also to point out that poo poo is not okay, and you the viewer are not alone in your realization of just how incredibly hosed things are.

This man has been on TV, cracking wise and trying his damnedest to keep the news media and political poo poo-flingers in line, for the majority of my life, and pretty much the entirety of the part I've been paying any kind of attention to.

It's gonna be weird living in a world without him.

There's only one Jon Stewart, but hopefully in the coming years we'll see many more like him. :unsmith:

Good post. Also we're the same age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Enourmo posted:

I fully credit him and George Carlin for my intellectual awakening (gently caress how pretentious does that sound, but it's loving true, ok?) going through my teenage years, through the utter bullshit of the Bush years and the financial crisis; through the highs of Obama's election and the hangover of the crushing realization that the country had not changed overnight and racism was not over; through the absolute shitstorm that has been the rise of the Tea Party and their war on everything that I and millions of other people hold dear; through the loving scourge of police violence over the last year and the dawning realization of just how far this country still has to go, Jon Stewart was always there to try and crack a joke, make people laugh for a minute, but also to point out that poo poo is not okay, and you the viewer are not alone in your realization of just how incredibly hosed things are.

After your awakening, did you hit the snooze button and go right back to sleep?

Here's a little protip for the next phase of your intellectual awakening: if a charismatic figurehead tells you that a group of people are evil, that they're your enemy, and that they stand for everything you hate, he's manipulating you.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Irish Joe posted:

After your awakening, did you hit the snooze button and go right back to sleep?

Here's a little protip for the next phase of your intellectual awakening: if a charismatic figurehead tells you that a group of people are evil, that they're your enemy, and that they stand for everything you hate, he's manipulating you.

:jerkbag:

Not the fuckin' point.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Enourmo posted:

:jerkbag:

Not the fuckin' point.

I know. A lot of people here grew up with Jon Stewart and he's been a staple of their late night diet for a very long time, so of course they're driven to flowery praise*. Its still funny reading post after post of people acting like Fox News was this great archdemon that God's Holy Angel Jon Stewart descended from Heaven to slay.

*what you see here is an example of basic empathy (ie "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another") which is the exact opposite of the ignorant and puerile hate embodied by the statement "the shitstorm that has been the rise of the Tea Party and their war on everything that I and millions of other people hold dear."

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 8, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

His literal final segment on wednesday's episode was talking about how he's literally not that ~avenger of reason~, and I never claimed that. I don't want to get into a political debate, but suffice to say I dislike the tea party on my own terms, not because Jon Stewart told me to (there was a good 5 years around that time that I was barely watching more than once a month or so).

The "intellectual awakening" wasn't meant as some debate-me-religioneers, logic-is-my-sword i-am-euphoric comment about my own superiority (I've never claimed to be), I was literally talking about transitioning from childhood to adolescence and adulthood.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Irish Joe's thing is finding what you hold most dear and tearing it to shreds before your weepy eyes. It's right there in his title ffs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm amazed he hasn't been probated more. He's like the bizarro-SMG of TVIV

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That's what I get for not being a regular, I guess.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Go out with a bang, Jon.

http://gfycat.com/PlushWideArabianwildcat

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Back to Daily Show stories...

I admittedly didn't 'grow up' with Stewart as many others did, and indeed, its only with hindsight that I realise I actually once used to watch him on TV during the evenings - but back then my family and I just saw it as a quirky show about American politics that very quickly disappeared from the evening schedule (guess it moved channels or something, since I live in the UK).

I more deliberately discovered him in 2012, during the run-up to the elections. Specifically, I heard from some friends I spoke with online about his 'chaos on bullshit mountain' segment, or something close to that event, and thus I sought his videos out. The show subsequently hooked me, and I even introduced it a couple of my offline friends. Its been a regular part of viewing experience thereafter, as one of the few series - and certainly only thing in terms of political satire (or either of its components) I actually followed week in and week out, alongside Colbert.

I mostly appreciate it for the additional insight it provided when looking at politics across the pond, since I'm now old enough to vote and have to consider my place both within my own country but also as part of a wider global community, in an age where near-instant communication across the planet is a reality. When I speak to Americans online, thanks to Stewart, I have a much better understanding of what they're actually talking about, than I would have had otherwise (though obviously with some certain biases).

As mentioned above, I do hope that Trevor Noah actually gets his chance, since whilst I can scarcely comprehend it, the Daily Show clearly does matter to a lot of people, and I do wonder how a 'black' (in the American cultural perspective) foreigner taking over the show seen as the voice of liberal America is going to be received.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Echo Chamber posted:

I agree that both shows have to be fundamentally different than the Stewart/Colbert era, but I really dispute the narrative that the Bush/Cheney era's end marked a decline for both shows.

Both shows had to rise to the idea that one simple election wouldn't solve our political system's systemic problems. That things were much worse than just Bush, Cheney, Rumseld, or Iraq. Their voice got more nuanced when talking about ubiquitous willful political bullshit.

And no, going after Fox News was never "punching down".

The article isn't saying the quality went down just that when it started TDS and Colbert were on the outside making fun of the dominant political culture and then the Obama shift made them PART of the political culture which was a bit weird.

I think Trevor Noah has the right idea from the interviews I have heard and his stand up is decent, so I am optimistic in either case.

Also for fun here is Craig Kilborn's last moments on TDS.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Mooseontheloose posted:

The article isn't saying the quality went down just that when it started TDS and Colbert were on the outside making fun of the dominant political culture and then the Obama shift made them PART of the political culture which was a bit weird.

I think Trevor Noah has the right idea from the interviews I have heard and his stand up is decent, so I am optimistic in either case.

Also for fun here is Craig Kilborn's last moments on TDS.

I get it but I still don't think it's really true, since the show started during Clinton's presidency. They hit their stride during the bush years, but I think that if Stewart was on during Clinton's 2nd term, he would've had even more to work with (like, the entire retarded Lewinsky scandal)

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to give Jon enormous praise as an interviewer. One thing that got consistently better as time went on was his skills as an interviewer. He had on some very challenging guests throughout his run, sometimes straight up hostile people, but he was always somehow able to keep the interviews interesting and fun, and never backed down from asking hard questions. I think he should be recognized for that as much as his comedy. For someone who wasn't a straight newsman, he's better for me than Letterman or even someone like Charlie Rose. Even better when he was on enemy ground, like Crossfire or Fox News. Those appearances are legendary.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

dethkon posted:

I get it but I still don't think it's really true, since the show started during Clinton's presidency. They hit their stride during the bush years, but I think that if Stewart was on during Clinton's 2nd term, he would've had even more to work with (like, the entire retarded Lewinsky scandal)

You're probably too young to remember what happened, but Clinton perjured himself before the grand jury and later went to war on the day the results of the investigation were being made public to deflect attention away from his crimes. Stewart (or anyone who supposedly 'talks truth to power') would have no credibility if they didn't come out against that kind of behavior from the President, as it was clearly an abuse of the office of the President.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

dethkon posted:

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to give Jon enormous praise as an interviewer. One thing that got consistently better as time went on was his skills as an interviewer. He had on some very challenging guests throughout his run, sometimes straight up hostile people, but he was always somehow able to keep the interviews interesting and fun, and never backed down from asking hard questions. I think he should be recognized for that as much as his comedy. For someone who wasn't a straight newsman, he's better for me than Letterman or even someone like Charlie Rose. Even better when he was on enemy ground, like Crossfire or Fox News. Those appearances are legendary.
I dunno, I thought interviewing was Jon's strength for a long time (it was the one thing John Oliver couldn't match), but the past couple of years I felt like he really softened with politicians.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remembered his fairly recent interview with Nancy Pelosi was a bit heated.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

This is so abuseable. I hope someone eventually trims it down to postable rather then linkable size then we can have some serious fun with it. :getin:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Stewart (or anyone who supposedly 'talks truth to power')

Irish Joe posted:

every clip was of John wagging his finger at some politician.

"Let ME tell you why Global Warming is real, congressMAN!" :nyd:

Which isn't really funny and entertaining as it is boring and preachy.

Will you finally stop posting? You're contradicting yourself in an effort to poo poo all over people celebrating a man's work on an excellent show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Will you finally stop posting? You're contradicting yourself in an effort to poo poo all over people celebrating a man's work on an excellent show.

Its not a contradiction. The second post is an opinion on the clips chosen for the 'best of' show that aired before the finale, while the first is how I believe Stewart should have responded to a particular issue had he been hosting the show at the time it occurred.

That said, celebrate all you want. But think of a birthday party. A birthday party is a joyous celebration of life with family and friends, underpinned by the fact that we're all one year closer to our inevitable decline and deaths.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Irish Joe posted:

Its not a contradiction. The second post is an opinion on the clips chosen for the 'best of' show that aired before the finale, while the first is how I believe Stewart should have responded to a particular issue had he been hosting the show at the time it occurred.

That said, celebrate all you want. But think of a birthday party. A birthday party is a joyous celebration of life with family and friends, underpinned by the fact that we're all one year closer to our inevitable decline and deaths.

Good God man. What does this have to do with the Daily/Nightly show? I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but is there a chance Irish Joe is Rumsfield or McCain?

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Either way, he's a fuckin' weird guy for sure

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't think the show really declined when obama came into power. It shifted tone, because of course it had to, but I still found it really funny to watch. The whole Superpac thing with Colbert is another favorite of mine.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't think the show really declined when obama came into power. It shifted tone, because of course it had to, but I still found it really funny to watch. The whole Superpac thing with Colbert is another favorite of mine.

The latest episodes have had biting satire as well, the writers have really been on-point even while Jon was in short time mode. I don't think they need all this time off, but what do I know.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The latest episodes have had biting satire as well, the writers have really been on-point even while Jon was in short time mode. I don't think they need all this time off, but what do I know.

They're building a new set.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Let's all ignore Irish Joe and share fond memories.

The 11/3 Project

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Let's all ignore Irish Joe and share fond memories.

The 11/3 Project

Clips like that make images like this (of which I might get 10 stickers of) seem silly as hell.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

:ssh: Don't tell anyone in charge, but it looks like the geo-restrictions on the TDS video archives have been removed.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's pretty impressive that Colbert is only like the 5th most successful former correspondent. Definitely behind Carrell, probably Ed Helms, arguably Olivia Munn and of course Darth Vader.
:raise:

Colbert is going to be hosting the Late Show on CBS, filling David Letterman's seat. Olivia Munn was in Mortdecai.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm trying to buy the finale on iTunes, but it looks like they only have SD versions of the latest episodes. Is there an HD version anywhere on iTunes?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

FrensaGeran posted:

:raise:

Colbert is going to be hosting the Late Show on CBS, filling David Letterman's seat. Olivia Munn was in The Newsroom and is about to be in next year's superhero blockbuster as one of the X-Men.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I thought I read an article about how Trevor Noah wanted to focus on fighting blogs like Gawker/Huffpo... You know, things that no one takes seriously anyways.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I don't think "I'm in a superhero movie" trumps "I'm hosting a national broadcast cornerstone television program airing Monday - Thursday that's watched by millions of people".

Anyone can be in a superhero movie. My dentist is in a superhero movie.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, but can your dentist play Jubilee or whatever z-squad background character she's going to be in that superhero movie?

double lol at "she was in The Newsroom" as some measure of "success"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Whoever thinks Olivia Munn is more popular than Colbert needs to have their brain examined.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Maybe once Colbert starts dating Aaron Rodgers (totally possible) he will be as popular as she is.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

TLG James posted:

I thought I read an article about how Trevor Noah wanted to focus on fighting blogs like Gawker/Huffpo... You know, things that no one takes seriously anyways.
I think there's a lot you can talk about when picking apart the new media culture that's closer to The Daily Show's target audience than Fox News ever was.

If Trevor comes down hard on the bullshit of blogging/clickbait culture; BuzzFeed might try to spin this as some sort of retribution for cherrypicking his tweets.

I'll just try doubly hard to avoid self-indulgent thinkpieces about Trevor's Daily Show.

"THE PROBLEM WITH TREVOR NOAH"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not going to miss Stewart during the day-to-day beat. I won't even miss his debate coverage much.

But goddamn will I miss his voice when there's another tragedy or national flashpoint. His words after Charlie Hebdo's shooting in particular resonated with me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why is everyone assuming that Stewart is going to stop speaking out about events and tragedies when they happen? Sure he wont have a TV show to voice his displeasure on, but Colbert doesn't even have his talk show quite yet and he's been doing online interviews and such.

Who knows? Maybe Stewart will be even more vocal and uncensored now that he's no longer hosting TDS.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

FrensaGeran posted:

I don't think "I'm in a superhero movie" trumps "I'm hosting a national broadcast cornerstone television program airing Monday - Thursday that's watched by millions of people".

Anyone can be in a superhero movie. My dentist is in a superhero movie.
Is Colbert's Late Show going to be just 4 days a week?

Not commenting on the popularity contest of former TDS personalities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Whoever thinks Olivia Munn is more successful than Colbert needs to have their brain examined.

• Locked thread