Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

Good review line: "with no level cap, randomised radiant quests and infinitely respawning enemies, Fallout 4 is truly a game that can't be beat!"

No one else finds this foreboding?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm happy Canada got the fate it deserved in Fallout

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Not really.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Nope.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

A. Beaverhausen posted:

quote:

"I used to build replicas of my house in Doom--another Bethesda game--when I was younger," T. Howard says with a sheepish grin. "No monsters, no weapons...just a one-to-one reconstruction of my home. I'd spend hours in these maps, pretending to do things I could do in real life, like watching TV and microwaving dinner.

"We've come a long way since then. With each generation, games have become more complex and immersive. But the problem is that they still 'end'. Life doesn't 'end'...so if we're really trying to capture life, how can our game?"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The nightmare version of the future T. "Toddmower Man" Howard is trying to sell us all on:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JackBadass posted:

Did you read the part where I explicitly pointed out that the time frame I used wasn't the point of the comment and was just for generalization? Because the time frame I used wasn't the point of the comment and was just for generalization. If you need me to say that a few more times so you don't miss it again, I can. The time frame I used wasn't the point of the comment and was just for generalization.

It's impossible to say it's halfway or a quarter of the way through the game anyway, as New Vegas is an open world game the bit where your faction rep gets reset could come at just about any point and is probably different for every player.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Todd Howard already showed us his dream for the future.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Todd Howard already showed us his dream for the future.

Sorry you're right:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So, does it have the little girl VA or the Braun VA?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sorry you're right:

I really hope you have a wall of all of these beautiful Todd portraits on display.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Todd "The Tits" Howard

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

2house2fly posted:

It's impossible to say it's halfway or a quarter of the way through the game anyway, as New Vegas is an open world game the bit where your faction rep gets reset could come at just about any point and is probably different for every player.

How you people can figure out how to post is beyond me...

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sorry you're right:

https://youtu.be/7MBaEEODzU0

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

JackBadass posted:

How you people can figure out how to post is beyond me...

your posts are bad and you should feel bad

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Random quests sound like stupid pointless busy work and artificial padding.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, I liked in Skyrim that there was a "tell me where the nearest uncleared dungeon is and give me extra gold for clearing it" button.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Has there ever been a game where you can play an evil character but does good stuff like gets cats out of trees for evil reasons? To me, being evil isn't ones actions, but their motivations.

[save cat because it's the right thing to do, and accept reward] = Gain good karma
[save cat because gently caress it, why not, and accept reward] = gain evil karma

In both cases the cat is saved and in both cases my rear end is getting paid for this work.

I hate it when a game gives you a choice between [save cat] and [eat cat, kill and rob old lady]

Being Evil is like racism. It's subtle. We don't twiddle our mustache and tie people on train tracks any more.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Has there ever been a game where you can play an evil character but does good stuff like gets cats out of trees for evil reasons? To me, being evil isn't ones actions, but their motivations.

[save cat because it's the right thing to do, and accept reward] = Gain good karma
[save cat because gently caress it, why not, and accept reward] = gain evil karma

In both cases the cat is saved and in both cases my rear end is getting paid for this work.

I hate it when a game gives you a choice between [save cat] and [eat cat, kill and rob old lady]

Being Evil is like racism. It's subtle. We don't twiddle our mustache and tie people on train tracks any more.

There's plenty of evil people in the world.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Doing things in exchange for financial gain is evil, says Ak Gara in a scathing indictment of capitalist exploitation and wage slavery.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Morrowind didn't really have any morality system. You could support a variety of causes on the island, but you had to keep in mind that some of them were colonist, some supported slavery, etc. There were faction reputations, but that mostly just changed the initial speech score, and you could always bribe that up once you became God King later in the game.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Phlegmish posted:

Doing things in exchange for financial gain is evil, says Ak Gara in a scathing indictment of capitalist exploitation and wage slavery.

That's not what I said. Getting paid isn't evil. I even pointed out both Good and Evil dialog paths both get paid.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ak Gara posted:

That's not what I said. Getting paid isn't evil. I even pointed out both Good and Evil dialog paths both get paid.

So if both ways accept the money, and both ways save the cat, how is one evil? I'd say it's more blazé benevolence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saving the cat because "why not" is more amorality than immorality.

It's kind of hard to do actually good things all the time and still be evil.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What if I save the cat so I can slyly inject it with a syringe of rabies before I give it back to the woman for money?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Random quests sound like stupid pointless busy work and artificial padding.

Then don't do them?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Evil in that context would work better in "pay me, and I'll save your cat" if anything.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

What if I save the cat so I can slyly inject it with a syringe of rabies before I give it back to the woman for money?

Now that's evil

Sedisp posted:

Then don't do them?

I wont? I can still call it padding.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 8, 2015

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Now that's evil

I wont? I can still call it padding.

Calling it foreboding is a little much.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Skyrim's dynamically generated stuff was a mixed bag. When it lead you to dungeons with their own story while giving you a reason to be there (to kill a Bandit chief), it was pretty cool and a nice way to scaffold world exploration. When it was "steal XXX*Player.Level Gold in Random.City" it wasn't fun at all. I would gladly take either one of those, however, over a dump NPC who just gives you 15 caps per piece of junk you bring them. NV fixed this a little bit, especially with OWB, but the core mechanic of collecting every book you see so you can turn it into a skill magazine later isn't very much fun at all.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sedisp posted:

Calling it foreboding is a little much.

Depends on how much it pads. I know the devs are claiming 400+ hour gametime.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Delsaber posted:

Neither the NCR nor the Legion had anyone who could jump high enough to bonk them off their flight path.

Well yeah the Athletics skill died after Oblivion

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Well yeah the Athletics skill died after Oblivion
Jumping is Acrobatics and wasn't that one of the new things in that supposed skill tree? Bullet Bill Bonking in Boston confirmed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

Jumping is Acrobatics and wasn't that one of the new things in that supposed skill tree? Bullet Bill Bonking in Boston confirmed.

God drat it I mentioned the wrong skill and hosed up my joke :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

My only comfort is that at least it's still a true sentence.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I'm curious as to what Acrobatics ends up doing in Fallout 4. I know it's probably going to be something lame like taking half fall damage but it would be neat if that or the ninja perks allowed a whole bunch of somersaults and martial art moves in V.A.T.S.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

I'm curious as to what Acrobatics ends up doing in Fallout 4. I know it's probably going to be something lame like taking half fall damage but it would be neat if that or the ninja perks allowed a whole bunch of somersaults and martial art moves in V.A.T.S.

Please note that the thread you are referring to is 10 pages of speculation that the author posted as if they were fact. We don't know if there will be an acrobatics perk and some of his other conclusions seem pretty far off the mark.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Well shoot. :(

So we don't actually know anything at this stage save the very strong impression that the system is going to be substantially different from Fallout 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty much all we can get is whatever anyone who saw the Gamescom presentation and played the demo there can try and tell us without actual video evidence. Because Beth's saving non E3 footage for September and October.

• Locked thread