Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Wittgen posted:

It wasn't her bag. It was breaking the sound barrier.

I think it happened because Alison not having full mobility with both arms is actually a serious liability going up against invisigirl.

This chapter's pacing isn't too slow. It's too crowded. The flow between scenes is not elegant.

Even with her arm being busted (seriously, though. How? I get the dislocation; the joint itself is no stronger than the connection. But that should be a simple "pop it back in" fix), Mary has no chance if she's dumb enough to be anywhere within the vicinity.

Even if Alison DOESN'T want to bring down the dam (probably a bad idea), there's plenty of ways to get a totally normal person out of hiding when you have superstrength. Just stomp your foot, for one. Not even enough to damage the dam, just enough to shake the room (and concentration).

But, no, this arc is all about philosophy that goes nowhere, means nothing, and completely upends character motivations because we need to pretend anyone here is morally grey. From the girl who is a firefighter because she cannot be burned to the serial killer who only targets men who assault or rape women threaten to assault or rape women drunkenly assault or rape women take a stance against serial killers.

With no exaggeration, her stance has really gone from "Understandable but still a crime" to "pretty much just a run-of-the-miller serial killer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I'm trying to understand why one would build a building with a door that literally opens onto a giant concrete cliff, without some sort of warning on the door. Or nearby. Or lights that work.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Obviously there were revisions in the construction plans but someone forgot to erase the door where the stairs were gonna be. What are you gonna do, not put a door where it says to put a door?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You sometimes get doors that open onto nothing in industrial spaces - usually it is some sort of loading area where you need to bring something heavy directly up to that level without screwing around with stairs or an elevator. But yea, in all but the worst environments there would be a big sign or something warning you about this on the outside so you don't just walk your fool rear end off. Maybe Mary illusioned the sign away too? She already decided to put illusion stairs behind the door that she had hidden with an illusion wall, so we can tack another couple layers on there no problem.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Classtoise posted:

Even with her arm being busted (seriously, though. How? I get the dislocation; the joint itself is no stronger than the connection. But that should be a simple "pop it back in" fix), Mary has no chance if she's dumb enough to be anywhere within the vicinity.

Well: a) we don't actually know how bad the damage is, b) she might not be physically capable of popping it back in depending on whether she's figured out how to voluntarily reduce her own invulnerability, and c) Alison has absolutely no experience with being injured. Getting cut by Cleaver was literally the first time anything hurt her, ever. So it's not too surprising she just kind of awkwardly shoved it into a makeshift sling and went on about her business.

Classtoise posted:

Even if Alison DOESN'T want to bring down the dam (probably a bad idea), there's plenty of ways to get a totally normal person out of hiding when you have superstrength. Just stomp your foot, for one. Not even enough to damage the dam, just enough to shake the room (and concentration).

For better or worse, Alison's fine control isn't that good. She's remarked on that multiple times. It'd be really easy for her to stomp her foot to generate shockwaves or something and blow up the dam by accident. Plus, for all she knows the whole thing is rigged with TNT or something. Better to check into it first, and, hey, being invulnerable, what's the risk?

Classtoise posted:

But, no, this arc is all about philosophy that goes nowhere, means nothing, and completely upends character motivations because we need to pretend anyone here is morally grey. From the girl who is a firefighter because she cannot be burned to the serial killer who only targets men who assault or rape women threaten to assault or rape women drunkenly assault or rape women take a stance against serial killers.

With no exaggeration, her stance has really gone from "Understandable but still a crime" to "pretty much just a run-of-the-miller serial killer".

At this point, everyone Moonshadow has killed has been an actual rapist. She hasn't killed Furnace yet, so it's possible he's not (and either she thought he was or she wasn't planning to kill him), or it's possible that he IS and we just don't know it yet. Question mark on that one, presumably to be resolved in the future.

That still makes her a serial killer, though. Every serial killer has a target profile. Hers just happens to be "rapists".

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Axiem posted:

I'm trying to understand why one would build a building with a door that literally opens onto a giant concrete cliff, without some sort of warning on the door. Or nearby. Or lights that work.

Eh, there's plenty of good reasons as to why that is the way it is. She might've had them removed, it might be a "false" door (make a wall on a catwalk, put a door, take down the wall) or something.

It doesn't HAVE to be a mysterious "door to nowhere".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fake stairs, Alison's second weakness.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

That was actually a real wall that she illusioned a door into, that Alison unknowingly punched through. Mary's illusions are that good. (And Alison that unobservant)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's already been established as superhumanly dense.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

She's already been established as superhumanly dense.

:pusheen:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Fake stairs, Alison's second weakness.

Falls down fake stairs, dislocates other shoulder.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Classtoise posted:

Eh, there's plenty of good reasons as to why that is the way it is. She might've had them removed, it might be a "false" door (make a wall on a catwalk, put a door, take down the wall) or something.

It doesn't HAVE to be a mysterious "door to nowhere".

Given she calls it "photokinesis" she's got arbitrary lasers, so sure, she could have just laserblasted the stairs, too.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Classtoise posted:

She did pop it back in. It still takes time for the shoulder to heal after it's popped back into place. How long? Who the gently caress knows! Probably about 30 minutes of real time, so about 9-10 months worth of comics.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Test Pattern posted:

Given she calls it "photokinesis" she's got arbitrary lasers, so sure, she could have just laserblasted the stairs, too.

I think it's pretty clear that the stairs were just an illusion.

Moonshadow can't really fight Allison directly so she's going to be doing it the subtle way.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Not sure if I'd call this subtle.

I mean, subtler than punching a tank, so subtle by comic book standards, but still.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Falstaff posted:

Not sure if I'd call this subtle.

I mean, subtler than punching a tank, so subtle by comic book standards, but still.
Hah, the alt text is funny for all kinds of reasons.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm rooting for Mary. :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, so this wouldn't be a question if they had laser eyes, but it is a question when they have pyrokinesis?

What do you have against Cyclops? :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm not totally sure; did Mary miss Alison with her swipe, or did it just fail to do anything to her? I know some people were guessing that her knife might be special in some way that would allow it to hurt Alison.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ashcans posted:

I'm not totally sure; did Mary miss Alison with her swipe, or did it just fail to do anything to her? I know some people were guessing that her knife might be special in some way that would allow it to hurt Alison.

It seemed like it failed to do anything; Alison certainly acts like Mary made a good-faith attempt to kill her.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Moonshadow presents an interesting reversal of the superpowers as privilege metaphor the comic has been using so far. Having powers makes vigilante justice against you more acceptable.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wait, so this wouldn't be a question if they had laser eyes, but it is a question when they have pyrokinesis?

What do you have against Cyclops? :(

Cyclops doesn't have laser eyes he has force beam eyes.
:goonsay:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Hypocrisy posted:

I think it's pretty clear that the stairs were just an illusion.

Moonshadow can't really fight Allison directly so she's going to be doing it the subtle way.

I mean the stairs that were previously there, where the illusion stairs presently are.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wadding up metal and just stuffing it into doors does make for an effective barricade.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
If Furnace is actually a rapist I swear I'm dropping this stupid comic. This arc has been a complete clusterfuck from the get go, I'm amazed this is the same guy who did the stuff with Cleaver. loving It Hurts! has better pathos than this.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I doubt he's actually a rapist. It seems like it's heading more in the direction of Mary thinking he must be a rapist with all of his terrible opinions on the subject, but he winds up not being one even after being questioned under the influence of truth serum.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ManlyGrunting posted:

If Furnace is actually a rapist I swear I'm dropping this stupid comic. This arc has been a complete clusterfuck from the get go, I'm amazed this is the same guy who did the stuff with Cleaver. loving It Hurts! has better pathos than this.

I doubt he will be, the author transfers the moral idiot title to whomever is talking to Mega, so it's Moonshadow's turn to be a crayzee monster.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This comic is Ayn Rand for the Tumblr generation.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I doubt he's actually a rapist. It seems like it's heading more in the direction of Mary thinking he must be a rapist with all of his terrible opinions on the subject, but he winds up not being one even after being questioned under the influence of truth serum.

Either this or Furnace WAS raped by his dad or something and his terrible opinions are some kind of weird coping mechanism.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

This comic is Ayn Rand for the Tumblr generation.

:stare:

Woah now. Lets not say anything we'll regret.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I mean, the writing style is similarly self-centered and confident in its own morality, but it's not that bad. Patrick would have needed to tell her that she's just thinking too much for it to be that bad. Rand's strawmen were an insult to the intellectual depth of straw.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I doubt he will be, the author transfers the moral idiot title to whomever is talking to Mega, so it's Moonshadow's turn to be a crayzee monster.

I dunno, man. I have a bad feeling this is gonna turn into some crazy "the ends justify the means" talk. Like, every woman BUT Alison seems to be of the opinion that whatever Mary is doing she should be left to do it because "gently caress them".

I know it won't happen, but I really hope Tuesday is just Alison saying "Yes." And flying off, while Mary looks completely awestruck that Alison didn't fall for her attempts to goad her into sticking around so she can cut up her victim more.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My guess is they're going to try to make Moonshadow a sympathetic crazystrawperson using Horrible Trauma Flashback that redirects semi-deserved blame onto Megagirl before she stopped being a superhero. That's a move that lets the author preserve Emily's current moral perfection while presenting the illusion of nuance. Maybe Moonshadow was raped while Mega was still a hero, or immediately after she stopped?

Ugh. I'm anticipating rhetorical use of rape in an internet comic. I need to go get some fresh air.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like people are really overselling the dip in quality this comic is experiencing just because it gave us one long, slow, talky, disjointed chapter.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like people are really overselling the dip in quality this comic is experiencing just because it gave us one long, slow, talky, disjointed chapter.

It's a pretty big dip in quality.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

One of the downsides of a webcomic like this is that if you have a lovely chapter it means that it sucks twice a week for eight and a half months

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Classtoise posted:

I know it won't happen, but I really hope Tuesday is just Alison saying "Yes." And flying off, while Mary looks completely awestruck that Alison didn't fall for her attempts to goad her into sticking around so she can cut up her victim more.
Man, don't raise my hopes. Not like this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Furnace is going to turn out to be a self hating gay.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Furnace is going to turn out to be a self hating gay.

Ooh, good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Finally watched Chronicle today and it's a lot better than this

• Locked thread