Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

KildarX posted:

Weird. I never knew you could get the leverage to finish the choke from there no matter the anatomy. *shrug* that's what learning grip stripping and armbars are for though I guess.

I didn't know either. My sensei has been been doing judo for ~50 years (Rokudan) and said he had never seen something quite like it but the stars aligned and It worked out well for my buddy. It was pretty impressive to watch cause you couldn't really see what was going on until his opponent suddenly just went limp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

Liberty Bell Classic the years ago my friend knocked a guy out could doing a double lapel choke while pinned. Keep in mind this was against a green belt, but still.

I finally got around to having my shoulder reconstructed from a judo injury and am now searching for a place to get back into it(currently rank of Sankyu in judo). Either that or aikido. I don't suppose anybody knows a decent place in/around central Jersey they could talk up?

How central? Cranford Judo is probably the best Judo in the state and possibly the eastern seaboard, but it's a ways north.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

fatherdog posted:

How central? Cranford Judo is probably the best Judo in the state and possibly the eastern seaboard, but it's a ways north.

I'm down by Trenton. Who teaches there now? Only one I knew about there was Yonezuka who passed away last year.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Crazyeyes posted:

I didn't know either. My sensei has been been doing judo for ~50 years (Rokudan) and said he had never seen something quite like it but the stars aligned and It worked out well for my buddy. It was pretty impressive to watch cause you couldn't really see what was going on until his opponent suddenly just went limp.

There's some positions where you might be able to do something if you're a little more sideways and the guy isn't posturing up may be? There are some "sacrifice chokes" that we do sometime in judo where you can probably finish while mounted, but the top guy can probably always remove the pressure by posturing up. I really can't imagine any reason ever to try to do that lapel choke while a guy is mounted on your and standing upright. I mean you're basically saying "would you please arm bar me".

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Back when I was a baby blue a dude with freak possibly chemical strength caught me in a collar choke under mount. He was so strong I couldn't posture and I wasn't experienced enough to get the angles before I had to tap.

He made a bit of a thing with it. Won some tournament matches Surprising people. Gave it up eventually though for obvious reasons.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I've seen someone get jacket choked in high-level competition by a guy who was in his guard, but at least there you've got gravity on your side. Trying it when mounted seems like you'd just be gifting an armbar (in addition to it being nigh-impossible to finish the choke), assuming you didn't have a massive strength advantage.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

There's some positions where you might be able to do something if you're a little more sideways and the guy isn't posturing up may be? There are some "sacrifice chokes" that we do sometime in judo where you can probably finish while mounted, but the top guy can probably always remove the pressure by posturing up. I really can't imagine any reason ever to try to do that lapel choke while a guy is mounted on your and standing upright. I mean you're basically saying "would you please arm bar me".

Well it should be said this was low level competition so arm bars are uncommon if not banned outright for safety reasons. My sensei strictly forbade our use of them in competition until we were brown belted.

Also because he was in a pin I think his opponent was just trying to endure it long enough to get the win.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Crazyeyes posted:

Well it should be said this was low level competition so arm bars are uncommon if not banned outright for safety reasons. My sensei strictly forbade our use of them in competition until we were brown belted.

Also because he was in a pin I think his opponent was just trying to endure it long enough to get the win.

You're probably right that the guy was just trying to tough it out so he would get victory by pin and got caught by surprise by how fast you can get choked out in the end. Anyway, that's quite an awesome way to win.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

I really wished that I never introduced my friend to my Judo club. I do admit our pools of female fighters in our club is shrinking fast but all she talks about is judo with everything she does outside of the club. She then has breakdowns after most classes that she is wasting everyone's time teaching her things and thinks that they gave her a yellow belt to keep her going. She is making good progress but her anexity attacks and lack of self confidence is really getting to me every time I have to see her. Even my girlfriend, purple belt BJJ, is getting annoyed because all she talks about is judo everything.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
how long has she been training?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Your friend needs therapy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Is your friend Ronda Rousey 20 year ago?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Going back to cross-training. I just started at an MMA gym about a month ago. I have 3-4 years of striking, boxing/kickboxing, and a bit of grappling but not much. For the past month I'm doing 2 days of striking, and 1 day of BJJ. The gym offers Judo and Wresting classes as well so I'm wondering if I should stick with BJJ and maybe drop in on Judo/Wrestling every now again, or just concentrate on one grappling art to supplement my striking. Or maybe flip it to two days of BJJ and one of striking?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

Going back to cross-training. I just started at an MMA gym about a month ago. I have 3-4 years of striking, boxing/kickboxing, and a bit of grappling but not much. For the past month I'm doing 2 days of striking, and 1 day of BJJ. The gym offers Judo and Wresting classes as well so I'm wondering if I should stick with BJJ and maybe drop in on Judo/Wrestling every now again, or just concentrate on one grappling art to supplement my striking. Or maybe flip it to two days of BJJ and one of striking?

What are your goals?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

manyak posted:

What are your goals?

Mostly just improvement as a fighter/martial artist. I'm not trying to be a competitive/amateur fighter or anything, but I do spar fairly regularly with a group from my last gym, and I would like to be able to hang with some of the higher level people at the new gym. I definitely want to get better at grappling because it's something I know I'm woefully deficient in. I really just enjoy martial arts as a whole from the discipline, fitness, and technique aspects. I just wasn't sure if I was spreading myself too thin.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

SnatchRabbit posted:

Mostly just improvement as a fighter/martial artist. I'm not trying to be a competitive/amateur fighter or anything, but I do spar fairly regularly with a group from my last gym, and I would like to be able to hang with some of the higher level people at the new gym. I definitely want to get better at grappling because it's something I know I'm woefully deficient in. I really just enjoy martial arts as a whole from the discipline, fitness, and technique aspects. I just wasn't sure if I was spreading myself too thin.

I'd definitely be hitting up the occasional wrestling class if i were you.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

how long has she been training?

She been training for 7 months now off and on. She jumps from my judo club to my GF's bjj club due to the work commitments. The BJJ club has pretty much told her to chill out and come back when she is ready and committed. She didn't take it so well.

Stairmaster posted:

Your friend needs therapy.
We been telling her to seek professional help but she heard how I overcame my depression and life issues with judo and she using it as a way to "manage" her emotional problems along with a breakup with her boyfriend. She keeps forgetting the part that I went to therapy for 3 months when I began doing Judo along with other lifestyle changes.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

SnatchRabbit posted:

SnatchRabbit posted:

If your goal is improvement and to be more well-rounded, I'd do two days BJJ one day striking. It's tough to improve significantly in BJJ with one day a week; two is significantly better, and while you may tread water a bit with striking you're unlikely to get worse.

Beyond that a lot depends on how much time you're willing to put. To just improve and get more well-rounded, two days of striking and two days of BJJ would probably be ideal assuming you have an average person's schedule and ability to recover. Ironically, while Judo/Wrestling is probably the most important skill to have it's also the one I would be most slow to add sessions of as it's definitely the hardest on the body and thus most likely to cause nagging injuries/hardest to recover from.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

She been training for 7 months now off and on. She jumps from my judo club to my GF's bjj club due to the work commitments. The BJJ club has pretty much told her to chill out and come back when she is ready and committed. She didn't take it so well.

We been telling her to seek professional help but she heard how I overcame my depression and life issues with judo and she using it as a way to "manage" her emotional problems along with a breakup with her boyfriend. She keeps forgetting the part that I went to therapy for 3 months when I began doing Judo along with other lifestyle changes.

When you say she talks about Judo all the time, do you mean obsessing over technique and the classes, or just random spergin like how Kimura would bunnyhop two laps around a track every morning?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My girlfriend's parents both took up capoeira about a year ago, and they live together, work together, train together, and socialize with their capoeira friends more than anybody else. I don't think they've ever had a good hobby before. It's impossible to have a five minute conversation with them that doesn't somehow turn to capoeira. Pretty annoying! But this girl sounds a lot worse.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

This week I got my first two submissions,two lapel chokes :unsmith:

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 8, 2015

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
https://youtu.be/Pq6TlH7ABkc

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

My girlfriend's parents both took up capoeira about a year ago, and they live together, work together, train together, and socialize with their capoeira friends more than anybody else. I don't think they've ever had a good hobby before. It's impossible to have a five minute conversation with them that doesn't somehow turn to capoeira. Pretty annoying! But this girl sounds a lot worse.
Just be happy they're talking about last night's training and not the group orgy that followed afterwards.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bangkero posted:

Just be happy they're talking about last night's training and not the group orgy that followed afterwards.

Sexy dance fighting.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
This has been making the rounds:

quote:

Houston Cottrell is a certified Gracie Jiu-jitsu Blue Belt under the Gracie Academy in Torrance, CA. Having completed an extensive instructor certification program in July 2014 he became the youngest certified Gracie Jiu-jitsu Instructor. Houston is passionate about teaching and this certification means that Houston will be teaching the exact same techniques that are taught at the Gracie Academy in Torrance using the same teaching methodologies and guidelines that Grandmaster Helio Gracie outlined. He is excited to bring the “Gentle Art” as well as the Gracie philosophies to Mississippi.
Houston has taught both adult and children’s classes in various martial arts since he was nine years old and also holds a black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate.

17 year old kid with a blue belt is the head instructor at a Gracie Academy affiliate gym, which would make sense if it was 1995 and if there wasn't already a gym with legit black belts 30 minutes down the road from this place. Since the internet got upset about it, as the internet is known to do, Rener and Ryron released this statement:

Rorion's Idiot Shithead Kids posted:

In 1929, the director of the Bank of Brazil, Mario Brandt, arrived for a private class at the original Gracie Academy in Rio de Janeiro, as scheduled. The instructor, Carlos Gracie, was running late and was not present. Helio, who up until that point only learned by watching his brothers, offered to begin the class with the man. When the tardy Carlos arrived offering his apologies, the student assured him it was no problem, and actually requested that he be allowed to continue learning with Helio Gracie instead. Carlos agreed to this and Helio Gracie became an instructor at 16 years of age. The rest is history.

At 16 years old, Houston Cottrell became the youngest person to ever complete the Gracie Academy Instructor Certification Program. At 17 years old, he turned an empty warehouse into a state-of-the-art Level 1 Certified Training Center and began working full time to teach Gracie Bullyproof and Gracie Combatives to a growing group of dedicated students in Madison, MS.

When you meet Houston, you realize that maturity has no age requirement, and when you see him teach, you realize that precise passionate instruction has no belt requirement.

Keep up the good work champ! We’re proud to have you as part of the family and Madison is lucky to have you leading the way!

lol.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I really wished that I never introduced my friend to my Judo club. I do admit our pools of female fighters in our club is shrinking fast but all she talks about is judo with everything she does outside of the club. She then has breakdowns after most classes that she is wasting everyone's time teaching her things and thinks that they gave her a yellow belt to keep her going. She is making good progress but her anexity attacks and lack of self confidence is really getting to me every time I have to see her. Even my girlfriend, purple belt BJJ, is getting annoyed because all she talks about is judo everything.

Stop being a jerk. Anxiety attacks are crippling.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Keg posted:

17 year old kid with a blue belt is the head instructor at a Gracie Academy affiliate gym, which would make sense if it was 1995 and if there wasn't already a gym with legit black belts 30 minutes down the road from this place. Since the internet got upset about it, as the internet is known to do, Rener and Ryron released this statement:

lol.

What's the big deal?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the big deal?

The kid probably asked his parents to buy him a gym, and they did, and it's funny. Then they paid the Gracies some money and the Gracies in turn said "Yes, this is something we want to put our name on and associate ourselves with", and it's funny. Now, instead of training under black belts and Reilly Bodycomb at a Royce Gracie affiliate, he is the owner and head instructor of a gym as a blue belt, which is funny. And he charges people $130/month in northern Mississippi to train under him, and I find that funny too.

Keg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 8, 2015

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Keg posted:

The kid probably asked his parents to buy him a gym, and they did, and it's funny. Then they paid the Gracies some money and the Gracies in turn said "Yes, this is something we want to put our name on and associate ourselves with", and it's funny. Now, instead of training under black belts and Reilly Bodycomb, he is the owner and head instructor of a gym as a blue belt, which is funny. And he charges people $130/month in northern Mississippi to train under him, and I find that funny too.

Yeah its embarrassing, but the gracies are salespeople above all else so this is right up their alley

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

manyak posted:

Yeah its embarrassing, but the gracies are salespeople above all else so this is right up their alley

Yeah I'm not outraged or anything. I've seen cries of 'creonte' from people with thick Brazilian accents, but I find the situation more amusing than anything.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Keg posted:

lol.

Wait...an actual place and not part of their dumb garage program? Wow... they just really care about making that extra dollar...

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
how many years until everyone is lamenting old bjj

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm most upset about his stupid face.

But yeah, blue belt trainers are supposed to be a thing of independent garage gyms, remote places, college programs and 10 years ago. I've run beginner classes and open mats at both my old gym and current gym, but I even feel a bit silly when other people call me coach. I'm a blue belt and refer to myself as assistant coach but I still feel silly then.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 8, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Rabhadh posted:

how many years until everyone is lamenting old bjj

People started doing berimbolos in the mid 90s, so like twenty years ago.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
gently caress Rorion and his idiot kids. I loving earned a black belt and everything they do makes it mean less.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
So much more goes into teaching than just belt or rank too.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

His private lessons are 45$ a half hour.... I know two black belts with decent competition records that do an hour for about 100$ :psyduck:

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 9, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Gymkata works

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Gymkata works

This checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Lost For Words posted:

This checks out

Kurt Thomas ain't got nothin' on Spiderman

• Locked thread