Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

somnambulist posted:

So I just started a new photography job and they gave me a D4S...

Try out the video in low light with autoISO :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So I've been thinking of getting my first DSLR camera, and had initially decided on the 5500. However it appears I can get the 5300 for 100-150 euros cheaper, and then get another 50 euro rebate directly from Nikon. As far as I know the cameras have the same sensor, image quality, etc, the older model is just lacking the touch screen and doesn't have as much battery life.

So is there any reason to get the 5500?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ika posted:

So I've been thinking of getting my first DSLR camera, and had initially decided on the 5500. However it appears I can get the 5300 for 100-150 euros cheaper, and then get another 50 euro rebate directly from Nikon. As far as I know the cameras have the same sensor, image quality, etc, the older model is just lacking the touch screen and doesn't have as much battery life.

So is there any reason to get the 5500?

What is your budget?

A used D7000 is going to be able to drive older lenses without motors in them and is more fully featured than a 5xxx. I imagine it's the same price or cheaper than a new 5xxx.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Macro questions
The Sigma is definitely the better lens in terms of optics (even the older of the two discussed is in the same ballpark as Nikon and Canon's best offerings), and will give you a little more working distance than the 85mm. Unless you really need image stabilization, I'd go with the Sigma. The exception to that is if the nature macro shots you're doing are in dimly-lit areas (under forest canopies, etc.). Shooting macro handheld with no VR/OS can be a bit much for an APS-C camera unless you have plenty of light to work with.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Well, the D5500 + 18-55mm lens + 55-300mm lens is 1030 or so, which if I stretch it is just about my max. I would prefer staying significantly under that, so getting the 5300 + 18-55mm lens is 600 (-50euro ebay coupon, and -50 euro Nikon rebate makes it 500), and then the 300mm lens separately would be another 270 or so.

The used 7100s I have seen have all been at least 650 euros for just the body, which would put me above 1000 with the two lenses.

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 5, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

What is your budget?

A used D7000 is going to be able to drive older lenses without motors in them and is more fully featured than a 5xxx. I imagine it's the same price or cheaper than a new 5xxx.

Yep. I am going to be upgrading to a 7000 from my 5100 soon, I think, because I am starting to collect older lenses and the 7000 is a lot more friendly with them than the 5100.

Plus you get the magnesium alloy body, weather sealing, and pentaprism finder. Better AF, too, but the 5300/5500 probably have better AF than the 5100 by now also.

They go for $500-600 used around here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

The Sigma is definitely the better lens in terms of optics (even the older of the two discussed is in the same ballpark as Nikon and Canon's best offerings), and will give you a little more working distance than the 85mm. Unless you really need image stabilization, I'd go with the Sigma. The exception to that is if the nature macro shots you're doing are in dimly-lit areas (under forest canopies, etc.). Shooting macro handheld with no VR/OS can be a bit much for an APS-C camera unless you have plenty of light to work with.

Hmm. I tend to take macro nature photos while on hikes and stuff, and also around my house: sometimes it's in bright light, sometimes not. Having more capability is nice, but I have to decide how much that extra capability is worth to me.

One factor is that I have an old camera and some lenses to send in to KEH for store credit. Once I get that stuff sent in, I'll know how much money they're crediting me and that will help me decide what I can afford.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Back to my original question: Is there any reason to spend 150-200 euros for the D5500 instead of the D5300 in terms of picture quality / processing?

E: In another review I just read that the sensor has the same specs but is somehow still redesigned and better.

Ika fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 6, 2015

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Ika posted:

Back to my original question: Is there any reason to spend 150-200 euros for the D5500 instead of the D5300 in terms of picture quality / processing?

E: In another review I just read that the sensor has the same specs but is somehow still redesigned and better.

I can't think of any. From what I read about the 5500 it didn't seem to offer that much more than the 5300 in terms of features and has about the same image quality. If you already know you want to stay with a 5xxx model, the 5300 is probably the better value.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The D5500 has a bigger buffer and less shutter lag, which is nice for fast action photography. Battery life is a bit better, too. Other than that, you're just trading the D5300's GPS for the D5500's touch screen, which really depends on your preference. The D5500 has a higher max ISO setting, but your photos will look like a goat's breakfast once you get into the high settings on either camera.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People seem to like the touchscreen, but the lack of a built in GPS on my 7200 can be a pain. I'm using a gps tracker on my phone instead and using the logfile in Lightroom to avoid hanging extra things off my camera.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

People seem to like the touchscreen, but the lack of a built in GPS on my 7200 can be a pain. I'm using a gps tracker on my phone instead and using the logfile in Lightroom to avoid hanging extra things off my camera.

Is this for landscape stuff? What benefit are you getting out of the GPS? Not trying to be snarky, honestly wondering what people use it for.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Is this for landscape stuff? What benefit are you getting out of the GPS? Not trying to be snarky, honestly wondering what people use it for.

I bought an external GPS for my D7200 (I can't recommend it because it's not a great design, but it does work) because of all my bird photography. If I'm traveling to areas I'm unfamiliar with, or if I take a photo of a rare bird, it's nice to be able to have proof of exactly where I was.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Thanks for all the info. GPS I don't care about, but neither do I need a touchscreen, so that balances out.

iammeandsoareyou posted:

I can't think of any. From what I read about the 5500 it didn't seem to offer that much more than the 5300 in terms of features and has about the same image quality. If you already know you want to stay with a 5xxx model, the 5300 is probably the better value.

Even the used 7100s / 7200s are significantly more than what a kit 5300 costs, and for my first camera I would prefer new anyhow, so I think I'm gonna stick with one of these.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VelociBacon posted:

I like to travel and shoot a lot, or for example I'm following a parade route tomorrow so I'd like it to track my movements. I don't use it for all shoots because it's an extra step and it's a pain, but if I'm not standing still it's nice to have a log of where exactly you were. Plus some online services support the tags which is useful, I wish 500px did because oh my god their map lookup thing is the worst.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hmm, I've got a D5100 and I think I'm fine with the picture quality etc etc but I kind of wish it had more video options, and also Wi-Fi would be nice because I suck at uploading my pictures to share anywhere. How can I get a good idea of what my D5100 is worth? It's only got a few thousand exposures on it and is in pretty good condition. Glanced at Ebay and people are selling them from $250-$750 so I don't even know where to start.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Hmm, I've got a D5100 and I think I'm fine with the picture quality etc etc but I kind of wish it had more video options, and also Wi-Fi would be nice because I suck at uploading my pictures to share anywhere. How can I get a good idea of what my D5100 is worth? It's only got a few thousand exposures on it and is in pretty good condition. Glanced at Ebay and people are selling them from $250-$750 so I don't even know where to start.

Generally for eBay, ignore listed prices and only look at completed auctions. Also check what KEH is asking for your camera in similar condition and assume you'll have to undercut them by a bit.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Generally for eBay, ignore listed prices and only look at completed sold auctions. Also check what KEH is asking for your camera in similar condition and assume you'll have to undercut them by a bit.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Good news guys apparently live view will jam the df/d600 shutter stuck permanently. Just in time to order a backup Df. gently caress, now I have to sneak out during halftime to abuse the best buy return policy.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

This probably isn't the best place to ask, so I apologize for cluttering up the thread, but can someone let me know if they ever bought from tronix LTD (UK). They have several thousand feedback on ebay, seem to be officially listed in the UK, and the only thing making me slightly suspicious is I can't find them on any UK price comparison website.

Other stores in the UK seem to occasionally offer similar prices, but they still are really cheap which makes me suspicious. Or maybe they drop ship from these tax free havens like play.co.uk does.

E: vvvvv: Ya I was told it would make much more sense to get a 18-105 or 18-140 lens instead of the standard 18-55, and the price difference between the two kits at several stores I looked at is similar to the price difference of the lenses, its just that here in Germany all stores have the D5500 as 200+ euros more expensive than the D5300, and some UK stores have them for very similar prices.

When shipping from outside the EU there is a substantial customs fee on anything above 50 euros.

E2: vvvv Its good to know the price is comparably with reliable sites.

Ika fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 8, 2015

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Ika posted:

This probably isn't the best place to ask, so I apologize for cluttering up the thread, but can someone let me know if they ever bought from tronix LTD (UK). They have several thousand feedback on ebay, seem to be officially listed in the UK, and the only thing making me slightly suspicious is I can't find them on any UK price comparison website.

Other stores in the UK seem to occasionally offer similar prices, but they still are really cheap which makes me suspicious. Or maybe they drop ship from these tax free havens like play.co.uk does.

If you look for really cheap you might as well have a look at http://www.digitalrev.com/product/nikon-d5500-kit-with-18/MTEwMzk2Nw_A_A. £439 for the kit, free shipping and 1 year warranty. I have ordered lenses and stuff from them before and never had any issues. They ship from Hong Kong I believe, but whatever.

edit: crap, just noticed your link had the other kit lens and that'd be £539 at DR as well, so I guess it's kinda the same type of deal.

Morkfang fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 8, 2015

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

So I'm slowly learning how to use a Nikon properly (D4S) and some things are still driving me nuts and I'm hoping you guys have some tips.

Changing ISO - it's on the bottom left hand corner and really hard to get to, am I missing something? On a Canon I get all my info in the viewfinder and if I know I can't get the shot with my shutter speed being too slow, with my right hand I can press the ISO button and quickly switch to something higher, while here I need to take the camera off my face and find the button tucked away at the bottom, press and HOLD the button and use a dial?

Can you make it easier somehow or is that just how it is? If so, what's a good technique for getting to it quickly? Ergonomically I have an issue sliding my left hand to it while keeping my shot steady.

Second thing is focusing- specifically auto focus. On a Canon 5d Mark 3 they have something called spot focusing (I forget if that's the actual name) but basically it targets SPECIFICALLY what's in the small square inside your focus point.

I'm shooting in some dim courthouses, board rooms, conference rooms etc and the single point auto focus is struggling to focus sometimes. I have it set to back button auto focus and sometimes it doesn't even APPEAR to try to focus. It does nothing. Not even hunt. I'm hoping I just have a setting off or something, anyone have that issue?

Lastly- I'm using the sb 910 which is pretty powerful but the menu system is kinda overwhelming. Aside from flash compensation is there anything useful you can recommend for using it in places explained above or is that the main thing? I'll probably use TTL most of the time, as some of these events are crazy fast paced.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Caryna posted:

If you look for really cheap you might as well have a look at http://www.digitalrev.com/product/nikon-d5500-kit-with-18/MTEwMzk2Nw_A_A. £439 for the kit, free shipping and 1 year warranty. I have ordered lenses and stuff from them before and never had any issues. They ship from Hong Kong I believe, but whatever.

edit: crap, just noticed your link had the other kit lens and that'd be £539 at DR as well, so I guess it's kinda the same type of deal.

What seems to be going on is these are grey market imports, and that is why they can undercut everyone else who are selling cameras meant for the EU. This probably means any direct guarantee work with Nikon would be a hassle.

Ika fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 8, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

somnambulist posted:

So I'm slowly learning how to use a Nikon properly (D4S) and some things are still driving me nuts and I'm hoping you guys have some tips.

Changing ISO - it's on the bottom left hand corner and really hard to get to, am I missing something? On a Canon I get all my info in the viewfinder and if I know I can't get the shot with my shutter speed being too slow, with my right hand I can press the ISO button and quickly switch to something higher, while here I need to take the camera off my face and find the button tucked away at the bottom, press and HOLD the button and use a dial?

Can you make it easier somehow or is that just how it is? If so, what's a good technique for getting to it quickly? Ergonomically I have an issue sliding my left hand to it while keeping my shot steady.
Consider using an auto-ISO setting. You just set your desired ISO range and minimum shutter speed, and it'll adjust ISO up when the shutter speed bottoms out at your minimum.

However you should be able to adjust it without taking your eye from the viewfinder. From the manual:

somnambulist posted:

Second thing is focusing- specifically auto focus. On a Canon 5d Mark 3 they have something called spot focusing (I forget if that's the actual name) but basically it targets SPECIFICALLY what's in the small square inside your focus point.

I'm shooting in some dim courthouses, board rooms, conference rooms etc and the single point auto focus is struggling to focus sometimes. I have it set to back button auto focus and sometimes it doesn't even APPEAR to try to focus. It does nothing. Not even hunt. I'm hoping I just have a setting off or something, anyone have that issue?
The AF mode switch on the front near the lens mount is triple function. It's a physical switch between manual and AF, but also a push-button you can hold down to adjust AF settings. When held, the front wheel (by the shutter) adjusts AF area, and the back wheel adjusts AF mode. There's a load of settings, check the manual (download) page 97 and forward.

Don't know about the flash.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ISO - I have 'Easy ISO' enabled in the menus, which does a few things - puts the ISO value in the viewfinder (not sure if that's there by default on the 4S but it's not on the crop models). It also changes the secondary dial in Aperture and Shutter priority modes into an ISO dial, so you can adjust it manually. In Manual it doesn't do anything. I have auto ISO enabled and use the exposure compensations to change the equation as needed. Understandably this isn't for everyone.

Focus - something sounds wrong as I shoot BBF single point most of the time, and while I've experienced that issue it went away (either recoupling the lens or off/on from memory). Are you in Auto continuous focus? Have you disabled the shutter from autofocusing on the half press (which it needs to be told to do as otherwise both buttons will start the autofocus mechanism).

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ika posted:

I bought my Nikon D7000 from a company like DigitalRev called [url=http://panamoz.com/[/url] and the service and price was second to none. Friend of mine also bought his D800E through them as well and again no problems with the order or customs . My workplace recently bought a Nikon D5300 + 18-140mm lens for stills and video. I did spec out the D5500, but there wasn't that much of an improvement (photo & video wise) over the D5300, so we didn't go with the D5500.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

spookygonk posted:

I bought my Nikon D7000 from a company like DigitalRev called [url=http://panamoz.com/[/url] and the service and price was second to none. Friend of mine also bought his D800E through them as well and again no problems with the order or customs . My workplace recently bought a Nikon D5300 + 18-140mm lens for stills and video. I did spec out the D5500, but there wasn't that much of an improvement (photo & video wise) over the D5300, so we didn't go with the D5500.

The new prices seem to run a bit lower than KEH's used prices - seems pretty win/win if it's a bit cheaper and the warranty situation is the same. Or will Nikon do warranty transfers if you're buying used?

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I appreciate the quick replies. I guess auto ISO isn't a bad idea but does it work with TTL flash well? I'd hate to shoot at ISO 800 when I could have done it at 200 with proper flash settings. I guess it's a matter of playing with it and seeing what works best.

I'll look into the auto focus, I haven't really figured out what auto focus modes do what yet. The manual isn't very helpful beyond basic explanations. Maybe I'll go to the library of YouTube.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TTL flash adjusts the ISO to try bring the background detail out, so you should expect higher than expected/desired values. I hit my max of 6400 often. There are workarounds though, involving changing the command mode for it, but from memory there are some caveats. Best to look into it, it's been covered online in quite some detail at least.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

TTL flash adjusts the ISO to try bring the background detail out, so you should expect higher than expected/desired values. I hit my max of 6400 often. There are workarounds though, involving changing the command mode for it, but from memory there are some caveats. Best to look into it, it's been covered online in quite some detail at least.

Yeah you can do negative exposure compensation on the camera and cancel it out with positive exposure compensation on the flash iirc

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's nice , and much better than canon who locks auto ISO at 400 when you use a flash.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

somnambulist posted:

I'll look into the auto focus, I haven't really figured out what auto focus modes do what yet. The manual isn't very helpful beyond basic explanations. Maybe I'll go to the library of YouTube.

Hold the AF setting button, use the front wheel ("sub-command dial") to adjust until it says "AF-S S" in the viewfinder.

That's single-point AF in single-servo mode.

You should then be able to use D-pad on the back to move the AF point around. The dot/L switch locks the focus point to prevent accidentally moving it with your nose or something.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Can someone explain the use for 51 AF points? I feel like 11 points would be easier to manage for very fast action, but I'd love to know the use case for more.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Isn't it mostly for the 3D motion tracking to use?

I also think it sounds excessive for a user interface. It's fine to have them if it makes tracking more accurate, but the number of selectable points for locking on should probably be smaller, to be easier to manage.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

somnambulist posted:

Can someone explain the use for 51 AF points? I feel like 11 points would be easier to manage for very fast action, but I'd love to know the use case for more.

3D tracking in AF-C, basically, as well as auto-area and group-area AF. If this is still confusing, you really ought to go read Nikon's page that breaks down the modes: http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d4s_tips/basic_settings/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

somnambulist posted:

Yeah I need to learn to use the 3D tracking and other modes as suggested by the poster above because single point can be a nightmare when you're in fast situations and are switching between portrait and landscape.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I just upgraded from a 5100 to a 7000 (technically the 7000 came out the year before, but I am only losing a couple pointless features like HDR and a flip out screen)

What luxury! Tungsten body, pentaprism finder, weather sealing, 39 AF points vs 11, autofocus screw, metering with ai lenses, dual sd cards, the list goes on. Makes me wonder why I went with the 5100 from the start.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BANME.sh posted:

I just upgraded from a 5100 to a 7000 (technically the 7000 came out the year before, but I am only losing a couple pointless features like HDR and a flip out screen)

What luxury! Tungsten body, pentaprism finder, weather sealing, 39 AF points vs 11, autofocus screw, metering with ai lenses, dual sd cards, the list goes on. Makes me wonder why I went with the 5100 from the start.

yeah the 5X00 models are stupid unless you really have to have a flippy screen

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BANME.sh posted:

Tungsten body,

This would bring a whole new meaning to the DSLR/Mirrorless weight wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??