Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Oh nice, both leads are women? I guess that might be a point in its favour, even if it's bad otherwise? *scrolls down* O-okay, so all four people behind it are typical white male nerds, I guess... I guess they might still be able to pull something together? *reads further* Oh jesus, they're from Bioware. Kill me. *watches pitch video* Kill me, and then yourselves.

Young Freud posted:

Where is the pitch video? I can't seem to find it in it's usual location. Did they remove it?

Also, these guys are touting their Neverwinter Nights mods but are promising Dark Souls-style real time combat? Why not state that we worked on KOTOR and Mass Effect because that's the only thing closest to the Souls-type gameplay with that tactical element added on?

This too. This looks bad and they can't even market this poo poo well enough to make it look appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Do people actually say "I want to play a game with Souls-style combat"? Am I old?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Programmer Barbie should only program in Ruby and walk off when Nerdlinger Ken tries to talk to her about type systems.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Caphi posted:

Do people actually say "I want to play a game with Souls-style combat"? Am I old?

yes? what even is this question

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Stux posted:

yes? what even is this question

It seemed like an absurd thing to specify spontaneously. "What kind of game are you looking for?" "Oh, you know, RPG, good character writing, strong female protagonist, Souls-style combat..."

I mean I know it's because "plays just like hit game you already love Dark Souls!" is an actual line item on their pitch, but that sounds weird to me too. Just say "action-RPG."

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Saying the combat is supposed to be like Dark Souls says a lot more than saying it's an action-rpg, which is an incredibly broad and vague term.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Caphi posted:

It seemed like an absurd thing to specify spontaneously. "What kind of game are you looking for?" "Oh, you know, RPG, good character writing, strong female protagonist, Souls-style combat..."

I mean I know it's because "plays just like hit game you already love Dark Souls!" is an actual line item on their pitch, but that sounds weird to me too. Just say "action-RPG."

There's a pretty big difference between Dark Souls and Dragon Age.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm sorry, I just thought the claim that "our game has combat that's just like Dark Souls! It's what we know everyone wants!" was a weird selling point to make.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think what Caphi means is less that it is weird that they said that the game has Dark Souls-style combat, and more that they said that as if they already know that's what people want out of it. Their explanation of the combat is less "it's like Dark Souls, which could be what you are looking for from this" and more "it's like Dark Souls, which totally is what you are looking for from this!" It's just a little phrasing difference is all.

edit: beat by almost an hour by the poster themselves, i should remember to refresh every once in a while

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Caphi posted:

its a popular niche i dont really usee ur point at all sorr.y

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I thought this was a thread for awful kickstarters not awful posts about marketing :words:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought this was a thread for awful kickstarters not awful posts about marketing :words:

It's kinda both. We're now something into the fourth or fifth year of online crowdfunding and a bunch of game developers don't know you need to have something to show before someone is going to fund your game other than a slick pitch video. If I don't know you from something before like Brian Fargo or Jordan Weisman, you better be showing me a vertical slice of your game, I'm not funding it if I have the money.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
At this rate I'm going to be sick of Souls-style gameplay before I ever play a Souls game.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
The combat style and its harshness are the main things the Souls games have going for them. It's not a strange claim to make if you want to piggyback off their success.

Whether these games actually have Souls-style combat is a different matter entirely.

Chorman Plamp
Nov 23, 2004
I Craft War
Fun Shoe
DM1: Titanium & Carbon Fiber Wallet by Decadent Minimalist https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mooner/dm1-titanium-and-carbon-fiber-wallet-by-decadent-m
So terrible how dare people spend money on things

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Erath posted:

DM1: Titanium & Carbon Fiber Wallet by Decadent Minimalist https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mooner/dm1-titanium-and-carbon-fiber-wallet-by-decadent-m

It appears that is the second version of this, the first one was an aluminum model that also greatly exceed its funding goal;

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mooner/decadent-minimalist-one-aluminum-wallet

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Erath posted:

I kind of like it, and could see myself using it to replace my current card wallet. But too expensive for me. I'll wait for the inevitable Chinese knock-off.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature
Why do I even bother working when I could be making tacky wallets for a ridiculous mark up?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
why does everyone want to reinvent the wallet?

what the gently caress is so wrong with wallets? just use a regular loving wallet.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
My guess would be that pretty much everybody uses one so you have a huge market to exploit. Why it's working I haven't the foggiest.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

shiksa posted:

why does everyone want to reinvent the wallet?

what the gently caress is so wrong with wallets? just use a regular loving wallet.

So they can be a unique snowflake.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

The combat style and its harshness are the main things the Souls games have going for them. It's not a strange claim to make if you want to piggyback off their success.

Whether these games actually have Souls-style combat is a different matter entirely.

Dark Souls also didn't have pre-perceivable backstory. You basically learned the whole history of the world as you played. The main character was a blank slate used that the player could add their own perspectives and desires on. Part of it's popularity comes from that "learn as you go" backstory of all the characters and "you are the hero" player experience.

I'm also not sure how you would be able to control the actions of two characters in a Dark Souls game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Young Freud posted:

It's kinda both. We're now something into the fourth or fifth year of online crowdfunding and a bunch of game developers don't know you need to have something to show before someone is going to fund your game other than a slick pitch video.

This is the fault of people giving Bloodstained and Shenmue III a bagillion dollars despite no gameplay or anything shown besides concept art and poo poo. I mean it's still dumb as hell but nerds are dumb and let it work.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

At this rate I'm going to be sick of Souls-style gameplay before I ever play a Souls game.

Lucky for you none of these games claiming to be inspired by Dark Souls are anything like it.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Aug 8, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I played the first Dark Souls and hated it so at least I know to avoid these things when I read that it's like Dark Souls.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is the fault of people giving Bloodstained and Shenmue III a bagillion dollars despite no gameplay or anything shown besides concept art and poo poo. I mean it's still dumb as hell but nerds are dumb and let it work.

No gameplay was available when I backed Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Returns yet the end result was two kickass games. :shrug:

It's easier to trust something made by people who are pretty well renown and respected in the industry. Or just really well known for good games in the 90s despite having a lot of baggage and lukewarm work since then (IE: Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

flosofl posted:

I kind of like it, and could see myself using it to replace my current card wallet. But too expensive for me. I'll wait for the inevitable Chinese knock-off.

Do you just stuff all your cash in your pocket when you use one of those things?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Do you just stuff all your cash in your pocket when you use one of those things?

I use a leather card/ID wallet and a money clip when I do carry cash (which is not often).

I loving hate full size wallets and I don't like things in my back pockets. It's a personal preference.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
I been away for a week. Is star citizen still the most you retards have spent money on for nothing?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

flosofl posted:

I use a leather card/ID wallet and a money clip when I do carry cash (which is not often).

I loving hate full size wallets and I don't like things in my back pockets. It's a personal preference.

This thing at least isn't notably smaller than a normal wallet.

You know you can put full size wallets in your front pocket, right? Nobody will stop you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dylan16807 posted:

This thing at least isn't notably smaller than a normal wallet.

You know you can put full size wallets in your front pocket, right? Nobody will stop you.

Did the whole "I hate full size wallets" not sink in?

This is what I use:
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/frontpocketidwallet
ID card slot. Room for one Credit Card in the front. Up to 4 in the back, and my medical insurance card in the middle. It's appreciably smaller than a Bi- or Tri-fold wallet.

And no I won't be getting that card holder. I though about it, but it's way too expensive for what it is, and it would be bulkier than I'd want (so I agree with you on the bulk issue). I'll stick with my current card wallet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
why are you assholes still paying for things that aren't made yet?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

cause if i preorder now I get a hat on steam

Chorman Plamp
Nov 23, 2004
I Craft War
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

The one I linked comes with a credit card sized money clip with a cutout so you can still easily access your cards

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Leal posted:

cause if i preorder now I get a hat on steam

please tell me you wait until it is in beta

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I care deeply about what others do with their money. Deeply.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

wait do you think this thread is for things we've actually put money into?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

wait do you think this thread is for things we've actually put money into?

That's the most common cause when it turns to poo poo for a couple pages, yeah.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dylan16807 posted:

That's the most common cause when it turns to poo poo for a couple pages, yeah.

No, when it's something we've actually put money into it turns to poo poo for a couple of hundred pages then gets its own thread. Also Noni is usually involved somehow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's easier to trust something made by people who are pretty well renown and respected in the industry. Or just really well known for good games in the 90s despite having a lot of baggage and lukewarm work since then (IE: Chris Roberts and Peter Molyneux).

The problem is something like Shenmue doesn't work in 2015 and we already got the Mega Man guy loving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I personally can't wait for Kojima's eventual Kickstarter when MGSV is released and he drops Konami like a rock.