Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

What someone else is paid to do isn't really up to you, and it's not really your business either.

Are you in management? Because this sounds like a textbook manager's statement regarding pay.

You should absolutely be concerned with what your peers are being paid to do the same job you are, otherwise you're just setting yourself up to get ripped off in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Here's the Trans Am I saw at work this week.

Unnnf. Want it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BraveUlysses posted:

What someone else is paid to do isn't really up to you, and it's not really your business either.

I disagree. What is the reasoning for keeping wages secret? What is gained by the employees by keeping their wages private?

It only serves to keep employees in the dark, in the hope that they won't realize that the work they do is worth a bunch more than what they're currently paid. This could lead them to seek other employment or *GASP* ask for a raise!

For instance, let's say that one of my colleagues and I are handling the same tasks, with the same responsibility, are the same age and have been at the company for roughly the same time, but I make 25% more than he does. Why should that be? Shouldn't we be paid the same amount for the same job? Keeping wages secret lets this differentiation between equally worthy people continue.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

QuarkMartial posted:

How do I put this? Ever since I found out that a total dipshit made 10 bucks an hour and did a worse job than I (and had less responsibilities), I've not really enjoyed working this job. Even though that guy has moved on, I'm still not happy about it and am pretty much in an irritated as poo poo mood the whole time I'm here.

Working some bullshit auto parts retail job for an extra 400 bucks a month (and working with no days off) isn't feeling so worth it any more.

It sounds like you have more of an irritation elsewhere, rather than the amount you're getting paid. Maybe talk to your boss about a raise, moving your shifts around to try something different or just having a day off?

A guy above me gets 9.50 to my 8.25 despite not knowing poo poo about cars, having no interest in learning and generally viewing this as a completely temp thing. His only real skill is that he can do some politician poo poo where he will keep a conversation going with anyone about anything and sell people stuff while doing it. I could get angry and bitter about it, but I'd rather just keep on keeping on and being useful since it seems to be getting me noticed by the right people. (And occasionally call up while he's working and have him look me up things that don't really exist)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Elmnt80 posted:

A guy above me gets 9.50 to my 8.25 despite not knowing poo poo about cars, having no interest in learning and generally viewing this as a completely temp thing. His only real skill is that he can do some politician poo poo where he will keep a conversation going with anyone about anything and sell people stuff while doing it. I could get angry and bitter about it, but I'd rather just keep on keeping on and being useful since it seems to be getting me noticed by the right people. (And occasionally call up while he's working and have him look me up things that don't really exist)

Fast forward three years - this guy will be your manager and you'll still be making $8.25/hour.

Your bosses will be more than happy to continue stringing you along if they get good work out of you and don't have to pay you much.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geoj posted:

Are you in management? Because this sounds like a textbook manager's statement regarding pay.

You should absolutely be concerned with what your peers are being paid to do the same job you are, otherwise you're just setting yourself up to get ripped off in the long run.

President Taft nods sagely in his grave

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Christ I just sheered off a bolt in the brake pad on my kart. I'd really like to get this piece of poo poo to a point where I can run it for more then a week without something failing on it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It's not like I went snooping and found it. He left his paycheck up on a register and I saw it when I went to ring up a customer. I got mad mainly because I have higher responsibilities for less pay. I deliver parts, bill out DIY customers and commercial customers (who are very picky about who they talk with), and so on. In the month and a half or so he was here, he never even learned to work the computer catalog correctly - and it's not that complicated. So yeah, I was irritated. I got pissed when I heard the reasoning was that the guy was a server and was used to handling large groups of people. I'm a teacher, so I would consider us equal in that regard.

It is what it is at this point. GM said he'd talk to our DM and see what he could do. Discussing salaries isn't illegal, and it keeps me from getting hosed too badly. At the same time, it's like another poster said: it's becoming more about how I value and spend my time than it is a matter of necessity.

And this is probably all disjointed as hell because I've typed it up in pieces over the last two hours.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

kastein posted:

1man1jar was way worse than mrhands. Jesus christ.

Also gently caress you for reminding me of these things.

I still haven't seen Mr. Hands, tho I have used 1man1jar to show people that yes, they actually can be disturbed by things on the internet.

Also you're welcome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This is the one day of the week I have completely to myself (I also have Tuesdays off, but I have a meeting with my therapist every Tuesday, along with an IOP group session on Tuesdays). Also the last Saturday I have off, I asked my boss to switch it to Sundays starting on the next schedule.

I'd like to finish running the last of the new coax (and redoing a few questionable crimps that I'm pretty sure are killing signal quality), but it's well above 100 outside (which means my attic is probably far north of 130F). So I'm gonna clean the aquarium, lounge around, and find some bad B movies on Netflix for myself and FatSTRcat to watch (yes, he's now on a diet, just like me, after tipping the scales at 15.5 lbs - he looks like a furry pear when he's sitting down).

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Blipshift sale is going on again. Thinking of getting another shirt, maybe getting one for the Mrs. as well. They have posters now too, and I want to plaster them all over my garage. They know how to get you because if you find two shirts you want you might as well get three for the free shipping.

Thanks for posting this. I just pressed the "99 problems but 20 shirts ain't one" button. I have an irrational love of the simplicity of blipshift's designs and it's fun explaining the more obscure ones to people.

Edit: lol @ weaksauce irc drama title. I'm gonna leave that one for a while to shame whoever did it

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'll be damned.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

1man1jar was way worse than mrhands. Jesus christ.

Also gently caress you for reminding me of these things.

What the hell is 1man1jar and how the hell is it........ oh.. Oh....... THAT one. Literally remembered it as I was writing. Oh geez yeah that's way worse.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Geoj posted:

Fast forward three years - this guy will be your manager and you'll still be making $8.25/hour.

Your bosses will be more than happy to continue stringing you along if they get good work out of you and don't have to pay you much.

I've been offered the same position (Or possibly better depending on who I have to compete against) and pay as him at a new store thats opening. I seem to have lucked out in the "my store manager and district manager aren't total shitheads" lottery. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elmnt80 posted:

I've been offered the same position (Or possibly better depending on who I have to compete against) and pay as him at a new store thats opening. I seem to have lucked out in the "my store manager and district manager aren't total shitheads" lottery. :v:

Congrats! Where is the new store?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Oh yeah. My roommate's family has a giant kegger clambake bash every summer. So many people here, I love it. Last year my roomie was so wasted he fell into the pool filter and water started gushing out of his grandpa's pool.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
It's my birthday. My other half is working on another continent, but I had some loving awesome monkfish (cooked in booze), some baked peaches (cooked in booze) and some more booze (in a glass). Now equipped with a coffee you could stand a spoon up in, on the couch, with Sin City 2 on. And the missus sent me a tagine for my birthday, so its gonna get all slow-cooked lamb up in here next week. Hell, yes.

:toot:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll be damned.

[mg]http://i.imgur.com/btBxJjGl.jpg[/timg]

[mg]http://i.imgur.com/IZG4wSLl.jpg[/timg]
Mustang lights? Because those look like mustang lights.

Good job.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Been trying to drop new coax into the guest bedroom.

Finally bought a set of spade drill bits, since my largest drill bit (3/8) wasn't able to drill a big enough hole to get the coax through. Bought a 25 ft fish tape. And bought a coax stripper.

Used the 9/16 drill bit, since I plan to drop another network cable through the same opening, plus the end of the fish tape is kinda wide (there's going to be a network jack in my room on the other side of the wall, between the same studs). Ran the cable down in a couple of minutes. Went down, had it stripped in 5 seconds. Crimped in another 5 seconds, though I've had the crimper for years.

Now I'm wondering how I ever lived without these things.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

spade bit supremacy. Almost makes woodworking bearable.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tommychu posted:

spade bit supremacy. Almost makes woodworking bearable.

In high school I was in a theatre tech class and watched a kid slooooowly drill a 1" hole through a 2x4 with a spade bit turning way, way too fast. There was quite a bit of smoke involved.

Once he got through he unchucked the bit and grabbed it to pull it out of the drill. :supaburn:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The Locator posted:

Congrats! Where is the new store?

Like 7-8 miles away. Honestly, I may stay due to me liking the people I work with that much. And I'd rather stay driving for a bit.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ilkhan posted:

Mustang lights? Because those look like mustang lights.

Good job.

2000, yeah. Used the Sylvania kit. I'm shocked at how well they turned out.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Camera/Astrophotog nerds what should I be looking at as a starter for getting into this? Recommendations seem kinda all over the place

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Damnit. At my parents watching their two dogs while they're out of town. It's late, and I need to get up at 6 tomorrow to go do important things like watch race cars at Road America, because my parents house is ~30min from my place/my friends place where we're meeting up. Was just about to let the dogs out one more time before I go to bed, but now I have to wait because there's like three squad cars that have someone pulled over on the road that the back of the property butts up against. I know if I let them out, at least the younger one will probably go tearing out there, and I can't find their yard leash :argh:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Nodoze posted:

Camera/Astrophotog nerds what should I be looking at as a starter for getting into this? Recommendations seem kinda all over the place

A stable tripod to start, or if you want to invest $$$, a good autotracking mount, depending on how much you want to sink in right at the start. A decent tripod will let you get some good wide angle sky / galaxy shots without much issue, an autotracker will allow you to use a high powered lens and zoom in on distant objects while maintaining a steady focus on them, so you could use a telephoto or telescope and photograph more far away stars / galaxies / etc.

Right now I shoot with a Canon T2i with an 18-55mm kit lens and a basic, manual tilt / adjust tripod, and i've gotten some okay shots. Definitely want an autotrack setup at some point though.

Also, you're gonna want to find someplace wayyy away from cities or even most towns to shoot from / at. Light pollution is a total pain to deal with when you're trying to capture stars and such with really long exposures.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

T1g4h posted:

Goddamn these are awesome. That second one especially :h:

That is the Jeep XJ-R.
It runs a turbo'd 4.0 that they finally blew up when the wastegate failed and they overboosted during an autocross. And an automatic!
Ford 8.8 in the rear, with disc brakes, and the offset of the wheels chosen to get consistent track widths.
They actually cut the straight-axle in front, and sliced a V out of it to get camber!

Pretty damned cool XJ.

https://www.facebook.com/JeepXJR

Build thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094822

Article the picture came from: http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/the-humbler-five-buddies-built-this-cheap-turbo-jeep-to-go-12s-and-destroy-on-the-autocross/

MrChips posted:

As I got out of my car, I got accosted by some religious zealot who was going door-to-door trying to convince me that my roof needed to be redone. I said no it's fine (and it clearly is) and he went absolutely apeshit...quoting Bible verses at me, practically shouting that I was a sinner and that the Bible says that the wicked die young - presumably I'm wicked because I was getting out of my BMW. Guy kept going on and on until I angrily shot him a quote back, the one that goes "Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand."

Then I told him to gently caress off.

I have GOT to remember that quote.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the hell is 1man1jar and how the hell is it........ oh.. Oh....... THAT one. Literally remembered it as I was writing. Oh geez yeah that's way worse.

I don't go find stuff like that, I search for descriptions on Know Your Meme and such, then start noping.

There is a lot that doesn't shock me any more thanks to the internet, but there's still stuff I don't want to see.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll be damned.

Nice. I need to do that to one of my wife's Kia headlights (one is new thans to a minor accident), and my Crown Vic's.

some texas redneck posted:

Been trying to drop new coax into the guest bedroom.

Finally bought a set of spade drill bits, since my largest drill bit (3/8) wasn't able to drill a big enough hole to get the coax through. Bought a 25 ft fish tape. And bought a coax stripper.

Used the 9/16 drill bit, since I plan to drop another network cable through the same opening, plus the end of the fish tape is kinda wide (there's going to be a network jack in my room on the other side of the wall, between the same studs). Ran the cable down in a couple of minutes. Went down, had it stripped in 5 seconds. Crimped in another 5 seconds, though I've had the crimper for years.

Now I'm wondering how I ever lived without these things.

The right tools for the job make an amazing difference. I bought a fresh set of spade bits and a fish tape when I bought a house, because I knew I would be running cable somewhere, be it romex or network or whatever. Very good decision. That and a good strong cordless drill.
I've used them at least a dozen times each, and the fish tape even comes in handy on the car. Just used it to fish through some speaker, power, and RCA cables on the Vic. (I love having a subwoofer again.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Making it a separate post for convenience, but I get to go to El Segundo, CA next week to loan some Mac expertise to another account, for two weeks.
What should I go do there? Already thought of the Petersen Automotive Museum, but the fuckers are closed for renovation until November!

Unique-to-California places I should eat on the company dime? Going to try an In-N-Out there, just to see if it's as not-special as here (TX), but what else?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Making it a separate post for convenience, but I get to go to El Segundo, CA next week to loan some Mac expertise to another account, for two weeks.
What should I go do there? Already thought of the Petersen Automotive Museum, but the fuckers are closed for renovation until November!

Unique-to-California places I should eat on the company dime? Going to try an In-N-Out there, just to see if it's as not-special as here (TX), but what else?

There's the automobile driving museum right in el segundo, which is pretty nice. If you're into pre-war stuff, the nethercut collection in sylmar is worth the drive, too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Go see the space shuttle at the science center.

El tarasco is pretty decent mexican, there's one on Sepulveda just north of the airport, a few blocks past the in-n-out on the right.

Also go south to hermosa/redondo. Lots of bars/restaurants along there. Redondo pier would be good to walk around and have a drink. If you like beer naja's has a lot on tap.

Going the other direction, there's plenty to see/do in marina del rey, venice, and santa monica. I think there is still a car meet at the in-n-out on washington on thursday nights, it doesn't get started until fairly late (9:30-10), and sometimes a few guys go drive the canyons in malibu afterward. Driving north along pch is a good day trip, you can even go to neptune's net like they did in fast and furious.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

It's a ways from El Segundo, but if you are into amazing miniature stuff (cars, engines, and everything under the sun) then the Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum in Carlsbad is worth a look. Online stuff here to see if it's something you'd be interested in - http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/rooms.htm

Amazing crap like -

Which is inside of this amazing 1/6 scale 1932 Duesenberg SJ - which is completely functioning and runs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

The right tools for the job make an amazing difference. I bought a fresh set of spade bits and a fish tape when I bought a house, because I knew I would be running cable somewhere, be it romex or network or whatever. Very good decision. That and a good strong cordless drill.
I've used them at least a dozen times each, and the fish tape even comes in handy on the car. Just used it to fish through some speaker, power, and RCA cables on the Vic. (I love having a subwoofer again.)

Mom has a cordless drill, but the battery on it is worthless, and being an older Black & Decker, you just get a lot of BAHAHAHAH YOU WANT A BATTERY FOR WHAT?! when you try to find a new one. Not that it ever had much power to begin with.

We have two attic access hatches. One of them is above the garage, fully floored, but only a single light, and really no reason to go up there except for storage (I would like to swap the light for a strip light with a pull chain at some point). The other is in the hallway, and allows access to the furnace and water heater. That one has a switched light (instead of a pullchain) with a massive CFL (150W or 300W replacement if I remember right, it's almost the length of my forearm), and I swapped the porcelain socket for one with a built-in outlet - so there's a cheap shop light about 10 ft away hanging by the furnace that's plugged into that outlet. The shop light is old enough that it uses oddball 25W 4 ft T12 tubes that I can't find anywhere, and one bulb is out, so once the other goes out I'll snag a couple of T8 corded lights. That side of the attic also has an outlet by the hatch (I tapped into that outlet for power for my closet for all the network crap), and that's the side of the house I'm most likely to do any drilling, so I got the cheapest Ryobi drill Home Depot carried. So far a ~25 ft extension cord has been more than enough, and it has enough torque to drill right through a 2x4 in 2-3 seconds.

I need to add another light on that side, mostly above the coax spaghetti, even if it's just long enough for me to untangle everything and get it cleaned up. The house is old enough that it's wired with A/B cable (which was nice when we had satellite for TV and a local ISP, also nice when we had FiOS for internet and TWC for TV), and the wiring is a godawful mess thanks to 2 cables going to every room. Only 4 jacks in the house are hooked up (2 in my closet, 1 in the den, 1 in the guest bedroom), but there's probably 20 cables up there, between the abandoned satellite system wiring, rooms that aren't hooked up, TVs that have been moved to different walls, rooms that only have 1 jack hooked up, etc. Once I figure out what cable goes where, I plan to basically take a weed whacker to all of it and trim everything to reasonable lengths (some of the cables are 10+ feet too long), label everything, and make a diagram. Also need to get some velcro ties for all the network cabling to tidy it up a bit.

The fish tape would have come in handy on the sub install in the Ion - I used a cut up wire coat hanger to get the RCAs and remote wire under the carpet. :cripes: I never knew how cheap it was though - paid $12 for a 25 ft Klein steel tape with markings every foot (Wal-Mart had a knockoff for $11 with no markings). $13 for a dozen spade drill bits from Wal-Mart (Black & Decker, but I won't use them often enough for the B&D lack of quality to matter), and $13 for the Klein coax stripper. So far the coax stripper has been the "how the hell have I lived without this?!" tool, it takes 5 seconds to perfectly strip RG6 and RG59.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 9, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

I don't go find stuff like that, I search for descriptions on Know Your Meme and such, then start noping.

There is a lot that doesn't shock me any more thanks to the internet, but there's still stuff I don't want to see.

Yeah that one is firmly in the realm of "DONT WATCH THIS EVER". Holy poo poo the paiiiiin must have been insane

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

To get us off the pain.jpg (there's another one you don't want to see) chat, I shall bitch about the current chapter my ongoing troubles as the result of purchasing a 2015 Ford Focus.

Dealer drilled front plate holes crooked. Send to body shop to fix. Holes are less crooked but still not right, interior got covered in body shop dust, license plate frame bent and damaged, license plate gouged, and, worst part - now the sheet metal on the body where the door hinge connects is squeaking badly as the door opens. Sort of like the fuckwits at the body shop threw the door open out of anger or something.

gently caress me, this is goddamned annoying. Not even 4000 miles on the thing and my folder of service records is getting rather thick. I really like the car but I'm seeing red after the most recent shitshow. gently caress body shops!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I can see my ankle again! Going to be a long road to shake the infection but at least it's progress. Hopefully it's not MRSA. If it is, I'm hosed.

STR why would you buy a replacement battery for a cordless drill instead of a replacement cell kit?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Replacing lithium ion cells with spotwelded interconnects and epoxied on thermal sensors seems like a fast track to an unnecessary world of hurt

lithium fires aren't fun :psyduck:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

Drive up the PCH to Neptune's Net. Get there at like 11:50 and you beat the line and get your food in 15 minutes instead of 45. Buy your beverages but skip the fried crap in the main restaurant and order the steamed shrimp or crab from the weird, other-restaurant on the premises that looks like a bait shop.

Pour out some of your quart of High Life for Paul Walker, enjoy delicious shrimp and corn.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pour out some of your quart of High Life for Paul Walker

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I had a big gently caress my builder post all ready and my lovely phone connection lost it. Short version: builder does amazing work very slowly, plays at dolls houses rather than project manager. We're getting evicted (by the mother in law, long story but she's had tenants waiting since the original June deadline) and the only leverage we have is dropping out, which fucks us harder.

Also, tracs light on the e46, wife stressed, house full of boxes, started work at 6, hate life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'll be damned.

Is that This kit? Because now I know what I'm doing today :getin:

• Locked thread