Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Last time I googled jf bibeau from the UK I got a very sanitised first page of results appended with one of those notices saying that what I was looking at had been adjusted in accordance with that EU privacy law that went through a couple years ago. Seems like he's trying to disappear completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I've actually encountered Bibeau once or twice in real life. At the time, something seemed off about him, but now... :gonk:

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.

sinking belle posted:

Last time I googled jf bibeau from the UK I got a very sanitised first page of results appended with one of those notices saying that what I was looking at had been adjusted in accordance with that EU privacy law that went through a couple years ago. Seems like he's trying to disappear completely.

Yeah, I just got this, too. Very hosed up.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
I got to deal with a broken-down car all day so welp no update I'm starting to think jebus doesn't want me to add content to this thread well gently caress you jeebs I will eventually succeed!

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why do people on Something Awful feel the need to compare themselves to absolute losers? It's kind of insecure

"I'm a nerd! But not the bag kind!"

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
We're all bad nerds here.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Anoia posted:

We're all bad nerds here.

Pretty much

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nirvikalpa posted:

Why do people on Something Awful feel the need to compare themselves to absolute losers? It's kind of insecure

Why are you comparing yourself to people who you think compare themselves to absolute losers?

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hello Sailor posted:

Why are you comparing yourself to people who you think compare themselves to absolute losers?

The world may never know

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Nirvikalpa posted:

No dude I'm totally the bag kind

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

sweeperbravo posted:

No dude I'm totally the bag kind

I'm just imagining the type of nerd that always has a messenger bag, but there's never a laptop in it, just like a drawing pad, some manga, and a 3DS with no fewer than 3 Pokemon games rattling around in the same section. Rarely when there is a laptop it will somehow be dirty and older than any working laptop should be, also covered in stickers. The bag will also have a dozen or so key chain things hooked onto it and the design of the bag itself will vary from bag nerd to bag nerd, but it's never good and sometimes outright horrible. Also headphones and an mp3 player of questionable quality. I'm probably forgetting some other things a typical bag nerd strawman would have, but there you go.

Full disclosure: I have a plain messenger bag with a decent laptop that's stickerless and clean...also there's a 3DS but only 1 pokemon game...and batman comics. But I'm not that kind of bag nerd :v:

There's also a large canvas bag that I have that's full of board games, the majority of which are those European ones (Ticket to Ride, Agricola, Carcassonne, Space Alert, etc). But that's all of the nerdy bags I have, honest :)

Brightman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 30, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brightman posted:

I'm just imagining the type of nerd that always has a messenger bag, but there's never a laptop in it, just like a drawing pad, some manga, and a 3DS with no fewer than 3 Pokemon games rattling around in the same section. Rarely when there is a laptop it will somehow be dirty and older than any working laptop should be, also covered in stickers. The bag will also have a dozen or so key chain things hooked onto it and the design of the bag itself will vary from bag nerd to bag nerd, but it's never good and sometimes outright horrible. Also headphones and an mp3 player of questionable quality. I'm probably forgetting some other things a typical bag nerd strawman would have, but there you go.

Full disclosure: I have a plain messenger bag with a decent laptop that's stickerless and clean...also there's a 3DS but only 1 pokemon game...and batman comics. But I'm not that kind of bag nerd :v:

You forgot the patches they bought to iron-on/sew-in, but they can't be bothered so they're halfassed safety clipped on.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Nintendo Kid posted:

You forgot the patches they bought to iron-on/sew-in, but they can't be bothered so they're halfassed safety clipped on.

Also pins/buttons, but yeah, I did forget about the patches.

Bubble_Princess
Dec 25, 2013

Brightman posted:

There's also a large canvas bag that I have that's full of board games, the majority of which are those European ones (Ticket to Ride, Agricola, Carcassonne, Space Alert, etc). But that's all of the nerdy bags I have, honest :)

You just described my well loved bag from high school maaaany years old when I was a wee Bubble... I'm not ashamed, I was a weird kid that eventually grew social skills beyond associating with the stupid teens that thought themselves to be Gods/Avatars/Reincarnation of Gods.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brightman posted:

You just described my friend to a t. You're just missing the multi-tool/leatherman.

Bubble_Princess
Dec 25, 2013
Rereading over this thread, when I posted before about my misadventures with the group of teens who saw themselves as gods or reincarnations of them or hosts of reincarnations, whatever it was they thought there was one instance that will never leave my mind. I held off posting it mostly because it's not funny and really depressing but I wanted to share it anyway, mostly as proof of how deep this delusion went.

When I was in high school, been dating my boyfriend for a little under a year at this point and all ready a few months into the whole 'I'm really the reincarnation of a God and hosting his spirit' act, I received news one morning going to school that one of my closest friends had committed suicide. This news hit me like a tons of bricks and naturally I was devastated, not only had I lost my friend but I was going through a whirlwind of emotions, hindsight taking over, beating myself up for not doing more, being angry and the like. To make it short, I wasn't a whole lot of fun to talk to and whenever my boyfriend brought up the stuff about the Gods, I blew him off.

About a month after what happened, I was crossing a street to get to my after school job when a truck sped around a blind spot. It didn't hit me, but it came so close I could feel something scrape my backpack as I got out of the way and scared the life near out of me. After I came to my senses, I tried to carry on like I wasn't nearly flattened on the road and went to work then headed for home. I didn't have a chance to talk to my boyfriend that night but when I caught him the night after I told him about the truck there was a long uncomfortable pause before he told me he thinks I did die.

As I tried to sort out that stupid line in my head, I asked him what he could have possibly meant by that. He proceeded to tell me about a dream or vision he had the previous night about getting news that I was in an accident and had died, he vividly remembered attending my funeral and the few days after. Getting a little more than irritated because at this point I had more than my fair share of discussions of death and grieving I asked him how could I possibly be talking to him if I was dead. He then told me that both he and the Lead God had loved me so much that he was willing to break the laws of his own nature (Being the god of Time >.>) to reverse the outcomes so that I would survive.

At this point I was really upset, couldn't hold back my anger that he would joke about something so sensitive to me at the time. I remember sarcastically asking him if the God could do that for me, why couldn't he done the same for my friend.

His answer? "Her death was necessary."

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Holy gently caress, I mean I said some dumb things when I was a socially inept kid but :froggonk:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure no court in the world would have convicted you of murder if you told them what he said.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Bubble_Princess posted:

You just described my well loved bag from high school maaaany years old when I was a wee Bubble... I'm not ashamed, I was a weird kid that eventually grew social skills beyond associating with the stupid teens that thought themselves to be Gods/Avatars/Reincarnation of Gods.

Baronjutter posted:

You just described my friend to a t. You're just missing the multi-tool/leatherman.

To say I didn't just describe an amalgam of all my friends' bags would be lying. Also to say that at one point I didn't want one of those bags would also be lying but I already had a backpack that was super nice and am too practical to replace it for the hell of it. Still have it actually, a black Jansport, a lot of nerds had that too come to think of it, especially the techie ones.

Bubble_Princess posted:

His answer? "Her death was necessary."

That's sort of like a religious person saying someone's death was "part of God's plan" except of course he thought he was God. Either way that's incredible to say in the worst way. Sorry to hear about your friend

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why do nerds always have big bags of poo poo? I have my keys, phone, and wallet in my pockets, that's it. Most people I know (who aren't nerds) don't carry anything extra. But almost all my more nerdy friends always have some bag or backpack or something full of nerd-junk.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My nerd bag was full of school stuff, did I do it wrong????

Edit: not art school

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I really didn't think my joke post about somebody's obvious typo was going ot spur any discussion at all but stranger things have happened I guess. May as well throw in that when I was in sixth grade and started carrying a purse, I had that sucker jam-packed as if it was going to accompany me to a deserted island. It served as a combination of pocketbook and pencil holder so I had all kinds of toiletry items as well as pens and pencils and stuff (and these really cool as gently caress tiny scissors that you could fold up when not in use- not as impressive as a swiss army knife but seemed genius to an eleven year old). Weirdest thing I carried around was we had to do a presentation for some class on our parent's career and I never bothered* to take stuff out of my purse so for like half a year I was carrying around a sprinkler head.

No iron-ons or pins or anythign like that, just an American flag that already was on the purse when I bought it (that was my patriotic year where I went all-out asking for flag-themed stuff because :911: )

Kid I sat next to in my science class that year and got fairly well acquainted with used to call my purse "the pharmacy" because of how much it contained. In retrospect that's a nickname with a lot of connotational baggage attached but I didn't put that together at the time and have genuinely no recollection of whether it may have been intentional on his part. He was an interesting kid because I was initially afraid to associate too much with him because he was pretty nerdy and the kind of kid I would have normally been a paranoid bitch to, but he was just so drat friendly and affable that I kinda stopped caring and we used to cowrite/draw these weird superhero comics together. :unsmith:

*This was also that age where I was tentatively trying to select which quirks would make me appealing to others while trying to downplay those that didn't. I decided that "weird purse stuff girl" was a boon to my potential popularity. The amount of misguided conniving that went into trying to reengineer my social standing in those years is really depressing in hindsight.

Fun purse poo poo ended in 9th grade 2 days after I got my very first cell phone when my purse got stolen during school :smith: Lost the tiny scissors and a whole slew of other little trinkets (sprinkler head long gone) and stopped carrying anything that I was sentimentally attached to.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Jesus it turns out I'm the bag kind of nerd. I just don't carry around manga and my laptop is only a couple years old.
Oh well, I'm not ashamed. After the life I've had I figure I'm entitled to let my freak flag fly a little bit.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

uglynoodles, I am glad that you started this thread, even though it's mostly dead now (and even though after the first hundred pages or so I think most of the sharpest material was already spent). Any updates on... well... anything?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like nerd stories.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Brightman posted:

That part describes me and my work bag; my mp3 player is about 8 years old and uses a AAA battery.

My backpack in high school was covered with snarky sayings written in nail polish and metallic marker. ("Mean People Rule," "I'm Ugly, You're Stupid, It's an Even Trade-Off," that sort of thing.) When I was a senior, the school started a policy of banning backpacks from classes, so I switched to a bowling bag. Even though some girls were given a hard time because their purses were "too big," nobody had a problem with the bowling bag, which was about the same size as my regular backpack. (I like to think it was due to my charisma and charm :smug: )

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Well if you feel the thread is dying I suppose I can prop it up like some kind of zombie with a few stories that I never got to tell because you all convinced me to leave crazy lady. They're pretty embarrassing, but for a while this poo poo was kind of regular and a large reason why it took so long for me to leave. I didn't want her to put anyone else through something like that.

the demon hound

So a quick recap of the story so far. I had met a lady (Dubbed Kry for the purposes of the story) who was convinced she was some kind of supernatural love child and who was constantly under "spiritual attack" by so many different things. Kry was convinced that this was real. Or at the very least presented it as real as a means to control people. I was one of the unlucky ones she managed to snare. She had previously used hypnosis and internet chatroom seduction by a fictional tiger lady to hook me in. For a lonely 20 something feeling wanted and also having the smug little thought that I was part of something secret and special no one else knew about was a compelling reason to stay around, even as things just got worse. Later on my sense of duty was also used against me, as well as the good old fashioned guilt trip.

So the set up for todays tragedy is thus: Some of Kry's "spirits" or "roleplay characters" because let's face it, that's basically what they were, were animals who could turn human. The most common one I came across were foxes. Most likely because at some point she was dating a furry, but that's besides the point. One of the foxes had, about three weeks prior, given birth to about six children. The kids were suddenly now all teenagers of around the 14-16 age range, which would soon become a common occurance because I guess she needed new women to throw at men for cyber sex? Anyway, one of these fox children was called Tala. Now even though I had only know her for three weeks, I liked Tala. She was planning to become a healer, which meant she could be helpful in this weird fictional world where everyone was continually getting fictionally injured by the bad guy of the week. Which meant I could spend less time worrying over that and could concentrate on just trying to make this poo poo fictional world a better place.

Now I'd place Tala at about 14, which made it esspecially creepy when she asked if she could be my guardian. It was apparently something foxes do? I don't know, probably some japanese kitsune thing. I never looked too deep into it. Questioning Kry's little world often got her mad at you and then magically bad poo poo happened. Now I'd previously been told that fox guardianships essentially lead to a relationship. So I was basically being propositioned by a fictional 14 year old. Which while flattering was just not something I was going to go near with a fictional barge pole. I think back then I still believed it all. So I can at least be happy with that response. Not that age mattered much in that world when you could go from 0 to 14 in three weeks. Anyway, I'm getting distracted. Now not five minutes after that. We run into the big bad of the day.

Today, that was another person.

This guy who I will reffer to from now on as Guy. Was someone I'd met previoulsy and quite liked. He was a laugh and I'd visited a few streams that he did. It turns out he'd previously been a part of spirit-side and had, quite sensibly, left. Except he came back every so often.

To fictionally rape people.

I was about to have a pretty lovely day.

Now I wasn't aware of this, but he'd done it before. Suddenly become "Possessed with some other entity" and attempted to sexually assault the head mates of Kry. To the point where she'd made a character just to be around to stop the rapes. A white wolf or dog or something. Well today Guy decided he was being possessed by a demon hound. Who had a thing for white wolf/dog. :suicide:

So no more than five minutes after Tala asked to jump my bones, along runs a very scared white wolf chased by a black demon hound. Wolf hides behind me, and once I'd been filled in on what the guy I'd previoulsy respected thinks he's playing at. I decide that no one was being raped today.

You know, thinking about it, over those two years I had to say those words way way too often.

So. I attempted to keep the two apart, picking up the hound by the midriff and just holding him seemed a pretty good start. That would let the white wolf keep some distance. Excellent temporary solution.

Then the demon hound turned it's skin to acid.

Because of course it loving did.

Now by this point I still hadn't learned the best way to survive in spirit side was to not show any attacks made against you. Ignore them, breeze past them. Hand wave some stupid reason why a building falling on you, or you being set on fire just didn't even bother you. I must have been pretty invested, because I have this distinct memory of my hands feeling like they were buring. I guess that was psychosmatic? Is that how you spell that? Maybe placebo effect is a better word for it. Regardless I dropped the hound.

But I'd stopped Guy. I don't think he was expecting me to be brought in to what he likely thought was going to be a time to wack off and just likely wanted to cut and run. He quickly left the conversation.

That wasn't good enough for Kry. Who had Tala healed my burns, then turn her attantion to the hound.

Who lunged at her.

And teleported away.

With a 14 year old girl.

I made to follow, teleported after them, desperate to stop what I already knew I couldn't. Because Kry was running this now. The first place I came to they'd ported again from, to loose my trail. But I followed. Into the gently caress you dimension. A dimension where time runs fast then it does in our world. Where about 30 seconds is two hours. Apparently.

When I got there I arrived to the aftermath. I was so done, I couldn't process what Kry was trying to describe in lurid detail. I remember just staring at my keyboard as my chest felt like it was being crushed, the message recieved sound effect just kept popping up as Kry took me through an intinery of injuries. I didn't look. I couldn't. In trying to stop one I'd just caused another. To a 14 year old. Fictional or not I couldn't imagine a worse thing to happen to her.

But Kry could.

The demon hound had left her with a mating mark, a bite wound that when touched acted like roofies.

So it could come back at any time and do it again.

:downsgun:

Eventually I managed to pull myself together where I could get both myself and Tala home. I took Tala back to her mother and went into zombie mode, staring at the screen without comprehension. At this point these people were as real to me as any of you are, and I was not taking today well. But there was more. Because Kry's solution for making sure the rapist hound never came back? More rape. Another mating mark. Someone who Tala would like enough to choose over the hound if it came back for a struggle.

Because as we all know raping a rape victim just makes them right as rain.

But she wasn't the only one, the White Wolf too was singled out by Kry to need a man to protect her from rape. The way she'd fall for someone? By being raped by them.

Are you beginning to sense a pattern?

I tried to reason against these things. Tried to find a different solution. Argued with her for a day. But eventually I had to sleep, and what do you think happened when I did?

For the longest time, these two days. These two loving days. Were the reason why I could never leave. Why I had to fix this god awful woman's loving fictional problems day in day out. Because if I left. Someone new might have to one day, find themselves in this situation. To try and fail to protect someone. Maybe they'll be in a better place, maybe they won't believe it was real. But I couldn't take that chance. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Things eventually settled down. Or as much as they could do in Kry's crazy castle. But of the events that still haunt me to this day. That's one of the biggest ones I wish I could have gone back and changed.

Hey, maybe at some point I'll remember a funny story. Rather than one filled with rape and misery. There's got to be at least one in there.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

For the longest time, these two days. These two loving days. Were the reason why I could never leave. Why I had to fix this god awful woman's loving fictional problems day in day out. Because if I left. Someone new might have to one day, find themselves in this situation. To try and fail to protect someone. Maybe they'll be in a better place, maybe they won't believe it was real. But I couldn't take that chance. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Things eventually settled down. Or as much as they could do in Kry's crazy castle. But of the events that still haunt me to this day. That's one of the biggest ones I wish I could have gone back and changed.

Hey, isn't "obsessively attempting to prevent this same situation from happening to anyone else ever again" a symptom of PTSD?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Is shaking when you're also telling the stories also a symptom? Because I've joked I got PTSD from all this before, but I've never given it any actual thought.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Is shaking when you're also telling the stories also a symptom? Because I've joked I got PTSD from all this before, but I've never given it any actual thought.

You should talk to your psychologist or therapist about it.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

IANAPsychiatrist, but it sounds like it to me.

eschaton posted:

You should talk to your psychologist or therapist about it.

Echoing this. Even if it's not textbook PTSD, that was emotional abuse and these memories and experiences are things you need to unpack in order to stay mentally healthy. If you nention the thread, your therapist would probably tell you that you've already taken a few steps toward dealing with what Kry did to you in the real world (i.e. manipulating your emotions, creating a dependence, etc).

Regardless, on behalf of the reader of the thread, thank you (and everyone else who shared) for sharing this with us. Some of us came for the trainwrecks, and some of us see ourselves in your experiences.

Okay, I'm done with the kumbaya now.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

So, how did all this happen? In a chat window? on IRC? MSN Messenger? I'm getting confused here.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

online spirit rape

:chanpop: never not post

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
This is the point where I have to say think you to the thread. Because of your actions and advice while John was still going through all of this, he managed to get out. Effectively this thread saved him from Kry. And for that I will always be eternally greatful to you guys.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Vorgen posted:

So, how did all this happen? In a chat window? on IRC? MSN Messenger? I'm getting confused here.

On the Astral Plane

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Vorgen posted:

It was a combination of MSN messenger, Skype and later when I had to be there at almost all times just in case, email. My phone was my primary method of contact as it was always on me and I had mobile internet on it. There were times when I'd go to put a ready meal in the microwave, be gone no more than four minutes and when I return all hell had broken lose. I even started sleeping on american time so I could be awake when Kry got up so there wasn't any point where something could happen when I wasn't there. Back during the Demon Hound thing? We were on Skype. That's how I knew it was Guy, because Kry brought him into the conversation. Some of the most awkward moments were when we were having voice chats and two of her characters started making out, I could hear Kry making kissing noises. Like hearing her tongue lick empty air as if she were playing tonsil tennis with someone. I tried to never be on chat for if it went further than making out. Just in case. :v:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So this was basically just really hosed up RP that you somehow got really emotionally involved in?

I mean it sucks you had to go through that and it's super hosed up (since she was still massively emotionally manipulating you) but it's hard to imagine the mindset where all this seems real instead of just going "nah ok now I teleport us to a beautiful beachy island where no one can get raped. So how was your day today?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Clocks posted:

So this was basically just really hosed up RP that you somehow got really emotionally involved in?

I mean it sucks you had to go through that and it's super hosed up (since she was still massively emotionally manipulating you) but it's hard to imagine the mindset where all this seems real instead of just going "nah ok now I teleport us to a beautiful beachy island where no one can get raped. So how was your day today?"
The metaphor of boiling a frog comes to mind.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Clocks posted:

It's a fair point and an excellent reading of it, but I don't have any answers for you. Only excuses. A lot of the time when I look back on it I mostly feel like a loving idiot for falling for it/believing it. Also guilt although I'm still trying to work out if it's for being a part of it or for not doing things differently to avoid more hurt. But I remember this feeling of the more you fought against it, the more things happened when you weren't there. When you couldn't stop it or affect the outcome. Other than try to deal with the aftermath. Because all the "people" you were trying to protect were Kry's characters. Which meant she could do anything to them at any time. It was like being punished for not behaving by hurting people around you.

I find it's similar to any person who you feel must be insane for... I dunno, to borrow from a famous example: believing sephiroth lives in your head and bones you every night. You wonder how on earth anyone could be so staggeringly dumb. But in the moment it's easy to be dumb, and the longer it went on, the easier it became to be dumb. Plus I spent almost every waking second with these fictional characters, in a very real sense they were my friends. Like how people form emotional attachments to characters from books or tv.

Also in my defense, I suppose I should also point out that I wasn't the first person Kry had brought into her little world. Although he had long since departed by the time I arrived. He'd checked himself into a mental hospital and blamed Kry for it. Which I believe probably did happen, but Kry took that and used to use it to fuel her victim complex which then meant you had to start comforting her otherwise she'd self harm. Which she did to me on a live camera once because that's an excellent way to make me feel like poo poo. It's quite clever in a way, place someone in a situation where they rely on someone, then make it so their criticism of that person can lead to self harm. Meaning you did everything in your power to soften the blow of everyone else calling her insane. Because otherwise she'd cut herself. It's like an rear end in a top hat masterclass.

Poison Mushroom posted:

The metaphor of boiling a frog comes to mind.

Is that the one where if you put a frog in water and then heat it it won't realise until it's boiled to death? You have a better way with words than I do, I could have saved myself a good ten minutes writing all that. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Like how people form emotional attachments to characters from books or tv.

You may be interested to hear that this is known as a "parasocial relationship" or "parasocial interaction" :eng101:

• Locked thread