Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The idea of race isnt immutable and is entirely a social construct as well.
Your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The idea of race isnt immutable and is entirely a social construct as well.
Your point?

You cannot change how your race is perceived by other people, even if it's entirely a social construct. You can very much choose to follow or not follow the advice of a book and the people that have studied it. Think of all the books people read every day without following them word-for-word for the rest of their life -- it's a skill every literate person already has!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

You cannot change how your race is perceived by other people, even if it's entirely a social construct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(sociology)

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

bitey posted:

This explains a lot. Every other translation I've started to read stopped me cold at the "God hates Jews" part on page 1.

So, the explicit naming of Christians and Jews started as an interpolation by hostile western translators? And yet this is in the "official" Quran distributed by the Saudis?

I would think the Saudi manufacture of defective Qurans would provoke outrage among practically all Muslims. How can devout Muslims tolerate such a sinister alteration of Allah's holy word?

These are not drawings of the Prophet we're talking about here, but the inclusion in the Holy Book of Islam of things never said by Allah or Mohammad. Printing millions of these knock-off "Qurans" strikes me as blasphemy of the highest order.

This suggests a simple ideological approach to getting rid of daesh.

Outraged adherents of the world's second-largest religion could insist on a "product recall" of these mass-produced, poo poo-quality Saudi Qurans. All these books need to be replaced by the Arberry translation starting, like, yesterday. Then, in about 50 years, we can expect to see some progress.

And there you go -- a prescription for a more peaceful Islam that doesn't involve bombs or brainwashing. All it takes is for a worldwide majority of Muslims to insist that their Holy book be distributed in a purer form.

D&D -- solving the world's problems, one at a time.

Not hostile western translators. But commentary from 12th and 13th century Islamic scholars who were embroiled in the midst of the crusades which uh... gave them some particular views. The most important commentator for that edition is probably Abu 'Abdullah Al-Qurtubi. If you're familiar with Arabic names you'll be able to tell that he was from Cordoba. His father was killed in a raid by Spanish soldiers when he was a youth and as an adult was present for Cordoba's conquest by Ferdinand III, and was expelled to Egypt afterwards. I haven't actually read any of his works, but my general feelings are that his views of Christianity probably weren't terribly positive.

Most Muslims devout enough to care already know that the Khan translation is full of lovely commentary. It's really non-muslims looking to educate themselves that get exposed to it's garbage.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

bitey posted:

This explains a lot. Every other translation I've started to read stopped me cold at the "God hates Jews" part on page 1.

So, the explicit naming of Christians and Jews started as an interpolation by hostile western translators? And yet this is in the "official" Quran distributed by the Saudis?

The Muhammad Asad translation is the one CAIR passes out in the US. It was written by a Jewish convert (Muhammad Asad, formerly Leopold Weiss) who joined up with Bedouins in order to get a "Feel" for the language, and his footnotes give multiple perspectives from different scholars on the meaning of verses. Just to illustrate a bit of the difference, let me quote what Asad has for the last part of al-Fatihah:

quote:

Some commentators (e.g., Zamakhshari) interpret this passage as follows: "...the way of those upon whom Thou has bestowed Thy blessings - those who have not been condemned [by Thee], and who do not go astray": in other words, they regard the last two expressions as defining "those upon whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings". Other commentators (e.g., Baghawi and Ibn Kathir) do not subscribe to this interpretation - which would imply the use of double negatives - and understand the last verse of the surah in the manner rendered by me above. As regards to the two categories of people following a wrong course, some of the greatest Islamic thinkers (e.g., Al-Ghazali or, in recent times, Muhammad Abduh) held the view that the people described as having incurred "God's condemnation" - that is, having deprived themselves of His grace - are those who have become fully cognizent of God's message and, having understood it, have rejected it; while by "those who go astray" are meant people whom the truth has either not reached at all, or to whom it has come in so garbled and corrupted a form as to make it difficult for them to recognize it as the truth (see Abduh in Manar I, 66 ff).

(Most of the Dawah groups around here use Pickthall, though.)

Edit: His notes sometimes get criticism because he believes certain miracles were metaphorical and it used to be (maybe still is?) banned in Saudi. Interestingly, he also ended up being one of the ideological founders of Pakistan.

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 8, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Plastics posted:

Wow, change "powerful" to "atrocious" and this is right on the money!

Man, its almost like sexism is a common theme in most organized religions.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Man, its almost like sexism is a common theme in most organized religions.

Is there any major religion that isn't misogynistic?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ToxicAcne posted:

Y'know, not off the top of my head, no. I'm sure some are better than others...

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Schizotek posted:

Not hostile western translators. But commentary from 12th and 13th century Islamic scholars who were embroiled in the midst of the crusades which uh... gave them some particular views.

Crusades and Mongol conquests. It was not a great time to be in the Islamic world all around.

This reminds me of my then-Catholic father telling me a lot of American fundamentalist beliefs were rooted not in the Bible but from particular Bibles' commentaries and footnotes, but I can't recall the particular version he was talking about.

I've already learned a lot, thanks Schizotek et al!

e: It probably was the Scofield - thank you.

Abner Cadaver II fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 9, 2015

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Crusades and Mongol conquests. It was not a great time to be in the Islamic world all around.

This reminds me of my then-Catholic father telling me a lot of American fundamentalist beliefs were rooted not in the Bible but from particular Bibles' commentaries and footnotes, but I can't recall the particular version he was talking about.

I've already learned a lot, thanks Schizotek et al!

He might have been talking about the Scofield Reference Bible, which is a big source of a lot of most of the Left Behind-style Rapture mania.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

ToxicAcne posted:

Sikhism isn't one of the big 5 but pretty much is a direct reaction to the misogyny in Hinduism and Islam and just... does the opposite. Women are equal to men, full-stop.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuAqoKrtLcY

Pretty contemporary 'new media' Islam content from popular Islamic youtuber, kinda prickly given it somewhat defends sex with children so long as they are 'mature' an also defends punishment for leaving the religion.

Plastics
Aug 7, 2015

computer parts posted:

"I'm just criticizing black people the same way I criticize Italians and Anglos!"

Islam rules billions of people and a huge part of the world! It is not some Weak poor little put upon thing that should not be criticized because it is so fragile!

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

computer parts posted:

"I'm just criticizing black people the same way I criticize Italians and Anglos!"

Do you hold people to different standards of behaviour on the basis of their ethnicity?

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Janism is a major organized religion that isn't sexist, or violent, or bigoted, but hey all religions are the same RIGHT GUEZ /R/atheism 4 eva

When the most fundamentalist poo poo you can imagine jains doing is a meat aisle picket line or self imposed starvation you have to wonder what you guys are thinking when you oversimplify religion into universal equivocation.

Main Paineframe posted:

Some ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods in Israel have gender-segregated buses and sidewalks, among (many) other things. It's not, by any means, just an "Islamist" thing. Sexism in the name of conservative hyper-fundamentalism is not unique to any specific religion.

The proportion and volume of conservatives between these two religions is significantly different however. Westboro Baptist Church or ultra Orthodox Judaism is a fringe, Islam has a sizable plurality if not majority that have some hosed up views on progressive issues.

I prefer to think quantity is worth consideration rather than throwing my hands up proclaiming "all religions are same".

Sethex fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 9, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sethex posted:

The proportion and volume of conservatives between these two religions is likely significantly different however. Westboro Baptist Church or Orthodox Judaism is a fringe, Islam has a sizable plurality if not majority that have some hosed up views on progressive issues.

I prefer to think quantity is worth consideration rather than throwing my hands up proclaiming "all religions are same".

Orthodox Judaism is not a 'fringe'. About half of all observant Jews are orthodox. In the US, only about 10% of all Jews (including non-religious) are Orthodox, but Orthodox Jews are more likely to be a member of a Jewish institution and spend more time participating in it, so even in the US they have influence that outsizes their raw demographics.

If what you mean is the Haredi, the so-called 'ultra-orthodox', those are also not a fringe. In Israel, they are 10% of the entire population. There are more than half a million in the US. In no way, at all, are they comparable to the WBC.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So let's say half of Jews ARE orthodox (I tried to find the figure but failed) what is that 0.5 % of the human population then?

Secondly : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi_Judaism

1.5 million people globally for this most extreme sect.

But hey I was way off the handle when stating that over a third of 1/3 of 1.5 billion people was more of a concern than half of 14 million people.

Sethex fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 9, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Orthodox Judaism is not a 'fringe'. About half of all observant Jews are orthodox. In the US, only about 10% of all Jews (including non-religious) are Orthodox, but Orthodox Jews are more likely to be a member of a Jewish institution and spend more time participating in it, so even in the US they have influence that outsizes their raw demographics.

If what you mean is the Haredi, the so-called 'ultra-orthodox', those are also not a fringe. In Israel, they are 10% of the entire population. There are more than half a million in the US. In no way, at all, are they comparable to the WBC.

Only by considering all Sephardim to be Orthodox can you arrive at the half figure.

And you are right that there is no.comparison between Haredim and WBC. Haredim do not proselytize, and keep to themselves. Christianity and Islam are imperial, colonizing religions.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

TheImmigrant posted:

And you are right that there is no.comparison between Haredim and WBC. Haredim do not proselytize, and keep to themselves. Christianity and Islam are imperial, colonizing religions.

You just used the proper term in the previous sentence. Proselytize/Missionary work =/-= Imperialism. Why would you use the improper term here except if you're trying to tarnish Christianity/Islam with the bad brush of Imperialism?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

You just used the proper term in the previous sentence. Proselytize/Missionary work =/-= Imperialism. Why would you use the improper term here except if you're trying to tarnish Christianity/Islam with the bad brush of Imperialism?

He didn't make an explicit equivalency between proselytising and imperialism. It was implied, sure, but they're not mutually exclusive either. Christianity and Islam are proselytising and imperialistic, both.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TheImmigrant posted:

Only by considering all Sephardim to be Orthodox can you arrive at the half figure.

Depends what you mean by Sephardim. But the nitpick doesn't matter: Orthodox are not a fringe Jewish population.

quote:

No, the point I was making was in response to someone talking quantitatively, not qualitatively. My point is that, qualitatively, there is no comparison between Haredim and the WBC because the Haredim number in the millions and the WBC has 40 members.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 9, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Depends what you mean by Sephardim. But the nitpick doesn't matter: Orthodox are not a fringe Jewish population.

Cool, brah. I'm Sephardic. We don't have Reform or Conservative schools. We really don't have a capital-O Orthodox school either, but if you feel the need to lump us in with weirdo Kahanism to look smart, go ahead with your dipshittery.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

Cool, brah. I'm Sephardic. We don't have Reform or Conservative schools. We really don't have a capital-O Orthodox school either, but if you feel the need to lump us in with weirdo Kahanism to look smart, go ahead with your dipshittery.

No see I don't think you understand just how much PalestineFacts.org some posters here have read. I think they're perfectly qualified to tell you about your jew stuff.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Hey folks! It's time for round three of

Todays Surrah is Al-Qalam (The Pen)! And it's a tad long so I'm gonna break it into more manageable chunks for us.

Al Qalam posted:

In the Name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate

Nūn
Let's stop for a second and address this thing. This is a Muqatta'at. Some Surrahs have random arabic letters at the beggining, and no one really knows why. Some think they were part of an ancient filing system, some think they're scribes initials. Some think there's some mystical religious aspect to them. Carrying on:

Al Qalam posted:

In the Name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate

Nūn

By the Pen, and what they inscribe, thou art not, by the blessing of thy Lord, a man
possessed. Surely thou shalt have a wage unfailing; surely thou art upon a mighty morality.
So thou shalt see, and they will see, which of you is the demented.

Surely thy Lord knows very well those who have gone astray from His way, and He knows
very well those who are guided.

So obey thou not those who cry lies. They wish that thou shouldst compromise,
then they would compromise. And obey thou not every mean swearer, backbiter, going
about with slander, hinderer of good, guilty aggressor, coarse-grained, moreover ignoble,
because he has wealth and sons.

When Our signs are recited to him, he says, 'Fairy-tales of the ancients!' We shall
brand him upon the muzzle!
It starts off with a reassurance that Muhammad and his followers aren't crazy, and gently caress those guys who say they are. Also says not to follow evil people just because they're rich/successful/powerful. Also: gently caress atheists. The branding the nose/snout/muzzle thing seems to be an idiom, not an actual command to brand atheists faces.

Al Qalam posted:

Now We have tried them, even as We tried the owners of the garden when they swore they
would pluck in the morning and they added not the saving words.

Then a visitation from thy Lord visited it, while they were sleeping,

and in the morning it was as if it were a garden plucked. In the morning they called to
one another, 'Come forth betimes upon your tillage, if you would pluck!' So they departed,
whispering together, 'No needy man shall enter it today against your will.'

And they went forth early, determined upon their purpose. But when they saw it, they
said, 'Surely we are gone astray; nay, rather we have been robbed!'

Said the most moderate of them, 'Did I not say to you, "Why do you not give glory?"' They
said, 'Glory be to God, our Lord; truly, we were evildoers.'

And they advanced one upon another, blaming each other. They said, 'Woe, alas for
us! Truly, we were insolent. It may be that our Lord will give us in exchange a better than it;
to our Lord we humbly turn.'

Such is the chastisement; and the chastisement of the world to come, is assuredly greater, did
they but know. Surely for the godfearing shall be Gardens of Bliss with their Lord.
It's a bit hard to follow this, especially since the "saving words" part doesn't really give you an idea of what was meant. The gardeners were supposed to set aside a portion for the poor, but the gardeners were greedy dicks and planned on keeping the poor out. So God burnt their stupid garden to the ground. :ussr:
Or stole all the fruit. Depends on the translation. Then they repent and say they will get an even better garden from God. Obvious connections to salvation and the afterlife are drawn.

Al Qalam posted:

What, shall we make those who have surrendered like to the sinners*? What ails you
then, how you judge? Or have you a Book wherein you study? Surely therein you shall have
whatever you choose!

Or have you oaths from Us, reaching to the Day of Resurrection? Surely you shall have
whatever you judge!

Ask them, which of them will guarantee that! Or do they have associates? Then let
them bring their associates, if they speak truly.

Upon the day when the leg shall be bared, and they shall be summoned to bow themselves,
but they cannot; humbled shall be their eyes, and abasement shall overspread them, for they
had been summoned to bow themselves while they were whole.

So leave Me with him who cries lies to this discourse! We will draw them on little by little
whence they know not; and I shall respite them -- assuredly My guile is sure.

Or askest thou them for a wage, and so they are weighed down with debt? Or is the
Unseen in their keeping, and so they are writing it down?

So be thou patient under the judgment of thy Lord, and be not as the Man of the Fish**, when
he called, choking inwardly. Had there not overtaken him a blessing from his Lord he would
have been cast upon the wilderness, being condemned.

But his Lord had chosen him, and He placed him among the righteous.

The unbelievers wellnigh strike thee down with their glances, when they hear the Reminder,
and they say, 'Surely he is a man possessed!' And it is nothing but a Reminder unto all
beings.
Talking about the Day of Judgement and all. The sinners and doubters are gonna rue the day they laughed at us, and Gods strategery is the best. Speaking of, you see that "my guile is sure" part? It's also sometimes translated as "scheme" and "plot" and "deceive". There's a bunch of verses where God is described as the best at "scheming" and "deceiving". Christian Fundies love to translate these verses as such and hold them up as proof that Allah is actually Satan. Really all it means in Arabic is that God is really good at planning, and is an all-knowing master of strategy. Classical Arabic for "God has a plan for everything". And from a definition perspective the words don't really mean much different in English except for a concept called pejoration, the process by which a word gains negative connotations not necessarily related to its meaning. Think how "doody" and "poo poo" mean the same thing but one is a swear word and one is an adorable word kids say.

* The Khan translation, being so lovely, inserts a reference to "polytheists" here, which is basically a pejorative way in that commentary of saying Christian. The word is a pretty generic sinner/criminal catch-all term in arabic. Just gotta remember to gently caress the infidels, though.
**Refers to a story in another surrah we won't get to for awhile. It mentions Jonah calling out to God when he realized he hosed up. That's all you need to understand that reference.

Al-Muzzammil tomorrow!

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 9, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TheImmigrant posted:

If you exclude all Sephardim from Orthodoxy, my point still stands. So you're arguing over something that I'm not contesting that is also irrelevant to the point I'm making.

You are a really weird person.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 9, 2015

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be

Schizotek posted:

Al-Muzzammil tomorrow!

شكرا جزيلا على هذا العمل

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Schizotek posted:

Also: gently caress atheists. The branding the nose/snout/muzzle thing seems to be an idiom, not an actual command to brand atheists faces.

That's all I needed to dismiss the Quran, thanks.

Edit: Another dead atheist blogger:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2317158/another-blogger-killed-al-qaeda-claims-responsibility/

Four this year.

edit: Better link? http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/world/asia/another-secular-blogger-in-bangladesh-is-killed.html?_r=1

bitey fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 9, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

bitey posted:

That's all I needed to dismiss the Quran, thanks.

Edit: Another dead atheist blogger:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2317158/another-blogger-killed-al-qaeda-claims-responsibility/

Four this year.

It actually is just an idiom meaning "humiliate" akin to the english idiom "rub their nose in the ground", and is understood by everyone, even salafists, as such. It speaks more to the way they poorly treated animals than anything else. If you need me to deconstruct it I'll go through it with sources. Unless you're problem is with the whole "we disagree with atheists" thing in which case ok. But the verses extremists use to murder atheists come later.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Schizotek posted:

It actually is just an idiom meaning "humiliate" akin to the english idiom "rub their nose in the ground", and is understood by everyone, even salafists, as such. It speaks more to the way they poorly treated animals than anything else. If you need me to deconstruct it I'll go through it with sources. Unless you're problem is with the whole "we disagree with atheists" thing in which case ok. But the verses extremists use to murder atheists come later.

So, I guess I should wait for the later verses before I mention this murder that happened yesterday?

"gently caress atheists" appears to mean "kill them." And hey, here's an example. A recent example. That follows an established pattern.

edit: The established pattern being: Anti-Islamic bloggers are being hacked to death in Bangladesh. In this latest one, the daesh assassins used a ruse ("Taqiya") to gain entry to his house, and then killed him with machetes.

I'm not waiting for the Quran Book Club to help me formulate an opinion about this.

bitey fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 9, 2015

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

bitey posted:

So, I guess I should wait for the later verses before I mention this murder that happened yesterday?

"gently caress atheists" appears to mean "kill them." And hey, here's an example. A recent example. That follows an established pattern.

Well "gently caress" was my paraphrasing of "obey not", which is consistent across five of the seven translations I have on hand, the other two being "yield not" and "heed not". And everybody here knows that there are extremist murderers who kill people who publicly disagree with them. So I really don't know what bringing up a specific example while quoting me paraphrasing "obey not" is supposed to mean.

e: Actually I'm pretty sure you never actually read the surrah itself and just read my commentary because you're lazy. And then tried to come up with some totally sick "muslims are orcs" burn and just came out looking dumb.

bitey posted:

I'm not waiting for the Quran Book Club to help me formulate an opinion about this.
Least your honest.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 9, 2015

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Schizotek posted:

Well "gently caress" was my paraphrasing of "obey not", which is consistent across five of the seven translations I have on hand, the other two being "yield not" and "heed not". And everybody here knows that there are extremist murderers who kill people who publicly disagree with them. So I really don't know what bringing up a specific example while quoting me paraphrasing "obey not" is supposed to mean.

In your opinion, does the passage of the Quran you quoted justify the most recent murder of a blogger in Bangladesh? Because it seems to, to me.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

bitey posted:

In your opinion, does the passage of the Quran you quoted justify the most recent murder of a blogger in Bangladesh? Because it seems to, to me.

Well the first part says "obey not", the second says that the muslim community will brand them (being atheists and other doubters) on the snout (the arabic word is actually the one used to refer to an elephants trunk or pigs nose.). At worst you have something saying that burning someones face is ok. Which it doesn't. But no, not even the most insane and violent understanding of that verse comes anywhere close to justifying murder. You stupid gently caress.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Schizotek posted:

Well the first part says "obey not", the second says that the muslim community will brand them (being atheists and other doubters) on the snout (the arabic word is actually the one used to refer to an elephants trunk or pigs nose.). At worst you have something saying that burning someones face is ok. Which it doesn't. But no, not even the most insane and violent understanding of that verse comes anywhere close to justifying murder. You stupid gently caress.

Ah yes. Well explained.

Except that people are using that verse not only to burn somebody's face, or push their faces into the ground, but also to murder them. Yes, the most insane and violent understanding of that verse is being applied.

"Burn somebody's face?" That's kind of what they do in some places; they throw acid at women who dare to show their faces.

"At worst, you have something saying that throwing acid in women's faces is ok."

But that's "at worst." No, you would never have an interpretation that would justify throwing acid in people's faces. That would be barbaric.

bitey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 9, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

bitey posted:

Ah yes. Well explained.

Except that people are using that verse not only to burn somebody's face, or push their faces into the ground, but also to murder them. Yes, the most insane and violent understanding of that verse is being applied.

"Burn somebody's face?" That's kind of what they do in some places; they throw acid at women who dare to show their faces.

"At worst, you have something saying that throwing acid in women's faces is ok."

But that's "at worst." No, you would never have an interpretation that would justify throwing acid in people's faces. That would be barbaric.

Do you actually know that the people who killed those bloggers are citing this surah? It didn't come up in either of your stories and it seems just as likely to me that they just think "atheists are not Muslims, therefore murder."

e: perhaps a better rephrasing would be "these people are publicly atheist and calling for the punishment of Muslim extremists, therefore murder"

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 9, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bitey posted:

Ah yes. Well explained.

Jeez man it seems like you're just going over his posts only looking for things that reinforce an existing position, rather than debating it's contents in good faith.
To be honest I don't think the people who did murder the Atheist Bloggers needed anything more than the barest, most flimsy excuse to kill someone who holds a dissenting opinion or they perceive has even the smallest chance of threatening their hegemony. Extremists generally don't need reasons nor excuses beyond 'I don't like them', All they need is oppurtunity.

As for the ن
The Quran is supposed to be in the style of Arab poetry at the time, maybe it's part of a technique used to establish the rhyming sound/syllable/meter/insert poetry terminology.
After some cursory searching I've found that it could be a representation of the great whale/fish that carries the seven skies.
Or a River in Heaven,
Or started with due to being the last letter of one of the names of Allah: الرحمن

Or all of the above.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 9, 2015

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'm shocked, shocked, that the holy text of this religion condemns people who scoff at it.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
We know through homer that oral poetry can be very intricate. What would Muhammad's influences be at the time of revelation.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
I'm going to post in this thread without quoting anybody else.

Hey look, another atheist blogger hacked to death in Bangladesh:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/world/asia/another-secular-blogger-in-bangladesh-is-killed.html?_r=1

Fourth this year.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ToxicAcne posted:

We know through homer that oral poetry can be very intricate. What would Muhammad's influences be at the time of revelation.

First and most probable: Arabian Poetry.
Possibly the most important of which were The Mu'alaqaat (hung ones). Refers to a set of what was considered the absolute finest poetry produced by Arabian poets, the ten of them covered all major styles and origins used by Arabian tribes at the time, and were held in such high regard as to be painted on the Kaaba. Which then was, as is still true now, an absolutely central religious site, before Islam came in.

As you may know the Quran is held to be a divine miracle, the miracle being that it's not supposed to be 'just' the literal word of god, but also a superlative text that puts all written and spoken word before it to shame.

Bitey posted:

edit: The established pattern being: Anti-Islamic bloggers are being hacked to death in Bangladesh. In this latest one, the daesh assassins used a ruse ("Taqiya") to gain entry to his house, and then killed him with machetes.

Yeah I read your post again.
Ruses aren't Taqiyya.
Taqiyya is explicitly lying or concealing your Islamic faith where it would save a Muslim's life.

And it isn't an Islamic Original Idea(tm) but :ssh:

But for reals: I've found that people randomly mentioning Taqiyya generally pair it with uninformed, bigoted screeds.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

To be honest I don't think the people who did murder the Atheist Bloggers needed anything more than the barest, most flimsy excuse to kill someone who holds a dissenting opinion or they perceive has even the smallest chance of threatening their hegemony. Extremists generally don't need reasons nor excuses beyond 'I don't like them', All they need is oppurtunity.

Excuse me? The names of the targets are on a list distributed by Al Quada.

"Barest, most flimsy excuse?" What the gently caress is the matter with you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread