Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hey, people who posted these awesome i spys...
Can you please please please post the answers? It's driving me nuts!
Like where is the girl who is not underage?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amber Atkins Again
Sep 10, 2014

If they ask you to take your top off, get the money first.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hey, people who posted these awesome i spys...
Can you please please please post the answers? It's driving me nuts!
Like where is the girl who is not underage?!?

Or the one where the poster said he saw another dog other than the Chihuahua in the middle. It made me look at that disgusting picture for a long time before I gave up because I couldn't stomach to look anymore.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

holy gently caress i just watched the cat goo episode on netflix :stonk:

:nms: season 1 episode 12 :nms:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Amber Atkins Again posted:

Or the one where the poster said he saw another dog other than the Chihuahua in the middle. It made me look at that disgusting picture for a long time before I gave up because I couldn't stomach to look anymore.

same

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Borderview posted:

holy gently caress i just watched the cat goo episode on netflix :stonk:

:nms: season 1 episode 12 :nms:

My girlfriend was borderline on hoarding at one point before I met her, stemming from some severe depression and social anxiety and that cat goo episode made her puke lol

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

It's like a flying squirrel or something? But kinda more chipmunk looking.

Anyway, because she's got gross hoarders in her family, I have to watch this show clandestinely, because otherwise she refuses to be in the room :v: I loving love Hoarders, though, because it is like mainlining schadenfreude into my gross brain.

I loving love it, too. Mainly because I love it when they freak out about how THEY'RE TAKING MY THINGS!!!!!! and their things are expired cans of food, clothes eaten and repeatedly poo poo on by mice and rooms of literal bags of poo poo. I would love to see one of the organizer types stop asking "May I throw this out?" while holding up a broken half of a wizzled up dead pet and just start shoving crap onto the truck while the hoarder completely loses their poo poo and then later is forced to return to a clean house that demonstrates how insane they had become. I have sympathy for many disorders-- but not this one, especially after the cat episode.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

errol _flynn posted:

I loving love it, too. Mainly because I love it when they freak out about how THEY'RE TAKING MY THINGS!!!!!! and their things are expired cans of food, clothes eaten and repeatedly poo poo on by mice and rooms of literal bags of poo poo. I would love to see one of the organizer types stop asking "May I throw this out?" while holding up a broken half of a wizzled up dead pet and just start shoving crap onto the truck while the hoarder completely loses their poo poo and then later is forced to return to a clean house that demonstrates how insane they had become. I have sympathy for many disorders-- but not this one, especially after the cat episode.

There's one where the hoarder's sister asks if she can throw out a rock and she says no. Her sister then throws the rock and the hoarder lady says she can get out because "SHE HAD PLANS FOR THAT ROCK!".

After all is said and done the therapist tells her she can let go of the rock now and she still says no and that she's still mad at everyone. She literally cared more about a rock than her sister or her daughters.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Exactly what I mean, Nessa. So insane and such stunning levels of crazy, huh?

Unreal, the depth of the lunacy that these people feel. It seems like the ones with kids would at least see that their kid/s represent the actual danger of what they're doing--they may lose custody, lose all contact, etc, and *still* they're all "But I NEED this lovely broken frying pan! WHY WON'T YOU UNDERSTAND" while the depressed offspring have to stand there and listen to the crazy.

I HAD PLANS FOR THAT ROCK! :D :D :D :D

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

That lady actually did lose custody of her daughter. Her older daughter essentially had to be a parent to the younger daughter. It was really sad. :(

Also really sad was an episode where the daughter said she tried to report her mom to CPS when she was 15 and CPS turned her away, saying that she'll be 18 soon and so long as she has a roof over her head and is being fed regularly, she should be drat grateful.

It didn't really matter that there was human feces on the floor. While everyone else ran out of the house vomiting, the poor daughter just said, "Yup, this is the smell of my childhood."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

errol _flynn posted:

That's what happens off camera when hoarders who get a deadline to clear the mess or it will be done by the authority don't meet the deadline. Turns out that isn't a great way to deal with this mental illness, because forced clearings are often followed by death. Turning a serious illness into a fatal illness isn't really a public health win.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I hired pro organizers to help me clear out my parents' house after mom died and my father went into care. It wasn't hoarders bad, but it was close--just a lot of stuff with my father declining from Alzheimers. My mother had been dead for nearly three years but her office still looked like she was going to come home any minute. I was about ready to set the whole thing on fire.

They said they don't do real hoarders houses because the "one fell swoop" approach always, always, causes a lot of pain and inevitably rebounds back into hoarding. Those people need a psychiatrist and therapists involved with a slower, more consensual approach. Even so, the organizers said I was the easiest client they'd had since starting because I'd already put coloured tape on the things I cared about (photo albums, train collection, certain bookshelves, my brother's entire autistic domain) and always yelled "INTO THE PIT" when they asked about stuff. We put a dumpster in the driveway; I played VHS-tape toss. The clang of something hitting the bin was such a happy sound.

It did give me a bit of insight into hoarder mentality. At certain points, it feels like you've lost control and are just in free-fall, with things marching out of your life faster than you can consider their importance. If you keep it, you can decide later, but if it gets binned it's gone for good. Of course, "deciding later," is a slippery slope of it's own.

e: Now, someone explain or point me to cat-goo because I'm curious and willing to live with regrets.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 7, 2015

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Hoarder lady wanted to cremate her 100 dead cats but she couldn't afford it so instead she stored them in her fridge and freezer. Some of them decomposed into goo. The end. :(

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Hoarder lady wanted to cremate her 100 dead cats but she couldn't afford it so instead she stored them in her fridge and freezer. Some of them decomposed into goo. The end. :(

And don't forget the ziplock bags in the closet! :magical:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
There's a whole section of my local garden store with lawn ornaments to commemorate dead pets.

"Hey, that's a cute one--the cat has wings... oh."

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Not enough money? You can get a box of matches for a dollar.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

errol _flynn posted:

Exactly what I mean, Nessa. So insane and such stunning levels of crazy, huh?

Unreal, the depth of the lunacy that these people feel. It seems like the ones with kids would at least see that their kid/s represent the actual danger of what they're doing--they may lose custody, lose all contact, etc, and *still* they're all "But I NEED this lovely broken frying pan! WHY WON'T YOU UNDERSTAND" while the depressed offspring have to stand there and listen to the crazy.

I HAD PLANS FOR THAT ROCK! :D :D :D :D

That's the trick, though. Your child or your spouse can freely choose to reject you. A rock or a broken frying pan can't. At the end of the day you can't control what other people do or feel and they may not love you anymore, but all the stuff you have that you've tied your feelings to is completely under your power.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

That's what happens off camera when hoarders who get a deadline to clear the mess or it will be done by the authority don't meet the deadline. Turns out that isn't a great way to deal with this mental illness, because forced clearings are often followed by death. Turning a serious illness into a fatal illness isn't really a public health win.

I 'm sure you're a lovely person and I mean no disrespect to you personally when I say that as usual I stand by my hateful remarks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

errol _flynn posted:

I 'm sure you're a lovely person and I mean no disrespect to you personally when I say that as usual I stand by my hateful remarks.

Fair enough.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bartlebyshop posted:

That's the trick, though. Your child or your spouse can freely choose to reject you. A rock or a broken frying pan can't. At the end of the day you can't control what other people do or feel and they may not love you anymore, but all the stuff you have that you've tied your feelings to is completely under your power.

This is by far the most accurate and saddest explanation for hoarders.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Nessa posted:

There's one where the hoarder's sister asks if she can throw out a rock and she says no. Her sister then throws the rock and the hoarder lady says she can get out because "SHE HAD PLANS FOR THAT ROCK!".

After all is said and done the therapist tells her she can let go of the rock now and she still says no and that she's still mad at everyone. She literally cared more about a rock than her sister or her daughters.

was it a nice rock tho

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

MissEchelon posted:

was it a nice rock tho

No, it was a regular, grey rock.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Nessa posted:

signed X-men trades

you may need to explain this to normals. is this short for "trade paperbacks"?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

If you're looking for a hoarders show that tries not to traumatise the people involved there's a BBC show called Hoarder Next Door and a large part of it is the therapist who they film each week spends a lot of time finding out and even explaining to the audience and the person(s) how they got to be in that situation and giving them appropriate therapy. There is a bit of the "lets get this poo poo cleaned" but generally the cleaning crew do stop when the hoarder asks them to or looks too distressed to continue. I watch because I'm an ex-hoarder myself and I know full well the symptoms of "but I neeeed this!" and "It's too much now, I give up" that end up with a house teetering on the brink of collapsing into a black hole.

... at least I didn't have poo poo or anything that stank in my mess.. pretty sure there weren't any dead animals either. Just clothes and a lot of paper, boxes, containers, more containers, jars, containers, clothes, toys and more containers. They were clean containers too. I washed them. I didn't have anything to put IN them but I had a loving metric tonne of the fuckers.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My justification for all my crap is that I already bought it once, and if I throw it away I'll probably just buy it again someday. If I know I have a side room with a dozen shelves all stacked with something close enough to what I'm lusting for in a store aisle, I can tell myself that buying another one would be stupid. I may have a lot of poo poo gathering dust, but I've reached a point where most of what I waant seems unnecessary, even to me.

I'm never throwing away that one unopened tub of green onion dip that I bought in 2008, though. That's officially a low effort science experiment at this point.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I recall one of the therapists on the show saying, "deciding to throw out these things would be a personal admission that she'll never get around to taking care of all of it. She's in denial of her own mortality, hiding behind a wall of trash."

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Thanks for making me look this up :dogbutton: God drat.

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsOR1-dqqE0:nms:

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

You Are A Elf posted:

Why did I make myself watch that. Why?

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

That's a Jacob Riis photo yo, legal migrants forced into hellish tenements because of crushing poverty. Shits like the opposite of hoarding.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

You Are A Elf posted:

:smith: I don't think I'm ever going to recover from seeing that.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

You Are A Elf posted:

ok thats it, ive seen the worst thing

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Hoarders are manipulative narcissists and the only cure is death.

And here's Knormal's goldmined thread about his mother and the snowglobes and her other garbage:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=830487

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Haverchuck posted:

you may need to explain this to normals. is this short for "trade paperbacks"?

Yes. Issues of the comics bound together in a trade paperback.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

You Are A Elf posted:

noooooope nope nope not clicking that, gently caress you, nice try

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Broken Box posted:

That's a Jacob Riis photo yo, legal migrants forced into hellish tenements because of crushing poverty. Shits like the opposite of hoarding.

The tenement owner is hoarding migrants.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

BeepBoopBatman posted:

How has no one noticed the hoard of turds in this guy's probable diaper.

I can't find it, but it's been referenced so many times the insane curiosity has kicked in. Where?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Squish posted:

I can't find it, but it's been referenced so many times the insane curiosity has kicked in. Where?

He's wearing it.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Oh. Right.

I mean that was the best guess, but I spent too long trying to figure out the two-tone orange bag thing.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
This thread has geared me up to go clean my basement.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

CannedMacabre posted:

This thread has geared me up to go clean my basement.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The Dell computers scare me. I might have trouble letting them go, too.

• Locked thread