Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Bad Wolf posted:

There was an entire subplot in Return of the King where Eowyn nursed a badly wounded Faramir back to health and they fell in love. In the movie, it boiled down to "Faramir and Eowyn stand next to each other during the celebration for a one-second shot."

It was the other way around, with Faramir nursing Eowyn. The extended cut had a scene in the houses of healing but it was still pared down from the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, the extended cuts are great for all three films, but for Return of the King it's pretty much required.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Kimble Justice does an awesome video on Aeorbiz AND the Sega Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umfQyZ_5KPE

I had the channel as a kid and drat it that doesn't bring back memories. Staying up all night playing Echo, Toejam and Earl and then watching Rocko's Modern Life in the morning :allears:

Kimble is now my absolute favorite internet reviewer with SFDebris a very close second. Just the sheer variety of ideas, games and topics is so great. My only wish now is a sequel to the video game shows series that covers all the early G4 shows like Portal, G4 used to kick rear end.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 7, 2015

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

My only wish now is a sequel to the video game shows series that covers all the early G4 shows like Portal, G4 used to kick rear end.

GoodBadFlicks did a pretty comprehensive retrospective on G4, if you're interested in that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBwGOHntro

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1N42CApZ1E

So just remember all the times Spoony has said he's a "harsh but fair DM" during his stories.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Genetic Toaster posted:

GoodBadFlicks did a pretty comprehensive retrospective on G4, if you're interested in that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBwGOHntro

G4 is just such an entertaining trainwreck. I mean, it's a shame all the shows that I enjoyed were so heavily retooled into shittier versions of themselves or just outright cancelled, and it was just embarrassing seeing g4 constantly trying to reinvent itself and get an audience, but it's crazy entertaining just how lovely that channel got.

e: Surprised that the retrospective didn't bring up one of the worst attempts G4 made at making more male oriented entertainment, Video Game Vixens, a show about 3 people deciding what video game ladies are the hottest lmao

Wikipedia posted:

ideo Game Vixens was a special four-part TV show hosted by Hal Sparks on G4 that featured what the network considered to be "the sexiest female video game characters of the year." The show had three judges: Seanbaby, Joy Giovanni, and Jake Bronstein. The show and awards were not continued in subsequent years.

Categories and Winners (2005)
Dressed to Kill - Kasumi from the Dead or Alive series.
Sexiest Finisher - Summer from Outlaw Golf 2.
Dirtiest Dancer - Tina from the Dead or Alive series.
Most Dangerous Curves - Rayne from the BloodRayne series.
Biggest Guns - Ada Wong from the Resident Evil series.
Best Bounce - Reiko from Rumble Roses.
Best Booty - Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider series.
Kinkiest Accessory - Ivy from the Soul series
Baddest Good Girl - Rikku from Final Fantasy X-2.
Viewer's Choice Winner - Rikku from Final Fantasy X-2.
Video Game Vixen of the Year - Tina from the Dead or Alive series.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 8, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FirstAidKite posted:

G4 is just such an entertaining trainwreck. I mean, it's a shame all the shows that I enjoyed were so heavily retooled into shittier versions of themselves or just outright cancelled, and it was just embarrassing seeing g4 constantly trying to reinvent itself and get an audience, but it's crazy entertaining just how lovely that channel got.

e: Surprised that the retrospective didn't bring up one of the worst attempts G4 made at making more male oriented entertainment, Video Game Vixens, a show about 3 people deciding what video game ladies are the hottest lmao

They'll make a third series of Code Monkeys one day :negative:.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Tracula posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1N42CApZ1E

So just remember all the times Spoony has said he's a "harsh but fair DM" during his stories.

To be fair, when a campaign has characters that are that powerful, sometimes a module like that becomes necessary.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
G4 also had Cinemateque which, if I recall right, was essentially just a showing of game cutscenes. It sounds really dumb but it introduced me to some great games thatI never heard of and looked interesting. Also their History of Gaming show did some really cool stuff, like an in depth look at the Oddworld creators.

G4 could have been really awesome had it come out just a few years later.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'll be ready... I'll be ready!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

Of all these, I guess Sexiest Finisher is maybe the most appropriate category? I mean, that's actually something a lot of games do--have a victory pose or whatever for your game character after they do a thing. It's not something that really makes sense in any other medium besides games, so it's kind of an inspired thing to try and break down into a ranking system.

The gently caress does "Baddest Good Girl" mean? Why Rikku? Like...is she...bad somehow? Besides, y'know, being relentlessly annoying?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
At least it's the X-2 Rikku. She's 17 in that so it's still pretty skeevy but she's not 15 like in FFX.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Now more gut be a good time to bring by up this week's Jimquizution podcast, which focuses on Konami and their new Castlevania Pachinko machine. Mainly because the ad for it advertised "erotic Violence". Jim and his crew's reaction was pretty much ":psyduck: What the gently caress are you talking about"?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There will be fights, and also bouncing boobs often at the same time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
poo poo, I remember Icons from G4. That show was really interesting. And of course, there's X-Play which went from bizarre sketch comedy/review to just throwing every single video game related item on the channel into one half hour show.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Looks like someone is collecting a Google Doc of where people are posting videos, post-Blip:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KgVvd8RKqFaddgClCKJDhXdFhg8FydSa6okPLIceNOE/edit?usp=sharing

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

lornekates posted:

Looks like someone is collecting a Google Doc of where people are posting videos, post-Blip:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KgVvd8RKqFaddgClCKJDhXdFhg8FydSa6okPLIceNOE/edit?usp=sharing

Nobody's doing mail-order VHSs?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
If anyone's interested, I'm currently porting my stuff over to Youtube. I'm starting oldest ones first, and cleaning up some of my original edits so that they're easier to watch (equalising the sound, cutting down on overly long clips, weird pauses, black frames etc.) As a result, most of my re-uploaded episodes end up being a couple of minutes shorter which is nice. So far I haven't run into any awful copyright problems, but we'll see. Official Infamous Sphere channel is here.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Apparently Channel Awesome has picked up Ask a Ninja. I didn't know that show still existed.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Mraagvpeine posted:

Apparently Channel Awesome has picked up Ask a Ninja. I didn't know that show still existed.

Wasn't that show popular like a good decade ago? Part of me thinks it predates Channel Awesome, but I'm too lazy to Google.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I remember Ask a Ninja interviewing Jessica Lee Rose after she was done with lonelygirl15 in... like... 2006 or 2007. I'm surprised people haven't run out of things to ask the ninja.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mraagvpeine posted:

Good for them on keeping with the times.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Facts:

1. Ninjas are mammals.
2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.
3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jsor posted:

Facts:

1. Ninjas are mammals.
2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.
3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Real ultimate power was straight up the best poo poo when I was in high school. I still have the book somewhere.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

boom boom boom posted:

Mr. Plinkett, probably.

Also anyone know what's happening with SFDebris? I hope he finds another host, since he's probably one of the best reviewers there is.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

He hasn't said yet.

Everyone has been saying Viemo requires a 200 dollar a year license? He should be able to afford that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Vimeo is 70 dollars a year. If you're remotely serious about making videos on the internet you can afford it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sfdebris gets most of his cash paid up front by the people requesting reviews. Considering he charges fifty bucks for a standard star trek episode, and his review requests are backlogged for months, he certainly isn't hurting for money.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of SFdebris, I just realized: Eddie Kramer is the Harry Kim of Baywatch, isn't he?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

boom boom boom posted:

Remember way-back-when-- TNG was still on the air. There would always be commercials where you could sign up for a subscription service. They'd send you, like, two episodes of TNG every month. It'd be something like $20 per tape, and they'd only send you a tape every month or so.

So anyone who did actually order that would have taken 7-8 years to get the entire series, and dropped $2k on it. Given the timing of the releases, VHS would have been going out of style long before they got the whole series. Chances are the DVDs would have been out.

I wonder what anyone with the entire collection thinks about being able to get the entire series on DVD for 1/10th of the cost and using 1/100th of the shelf space?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Speaking of SFdebris, I just realized: Eddie Kramer is the Harry Kim of Baywatch, isn't he?

Harry Kim wishes he was half the failure Eddie is. At least then he'd be funny.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

lornekates posted:

Remember way-back-when-- TNG was still on the air. There would always be commercials where you could sign up for a subscription service. They'd send you, like, two episodes of TNG every month. It'd be something like $20 per tape, and they'd only send you a tape every month or so.

So anyone who did actually order that would have taken 7-8 years to get the entire series, and dropped $2k on it. Given the timing of the releases, VHS would have been going out of style long before they got the whole series. Chances are the DVDs would have been out.

I wonder what anyone with the entire collection thinks about being able to get the entire series on DVD for 1/10th of the cost and using 1/100th of the shelf space?

Reminds me of that goon story about the guy who horded VHS copies of Disney movies, back when their business strategy was to only release a limited number of each film ever. Supposedly the guy's collection was worth thousands, but then DVD happened.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

lornekates posted:

But DVDs ouldn't line an entire all, providing protection from small arms fire.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

HopperUK posted:

Harry Kim wishes he was half the failure Eddie is. At least then he'd be funny.

Eddie Kramer is a masterful failure of a human being.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

Eddie Kramer is a masterful failure of a human being.

I just got to the last appearance of Captain Thorpe and I got a question: Aside from teh Hoff himself, which character stayed the longest on the show. From the ones we already know I mean.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I will forever miss Craig and his creepy dadstares

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

e X posted:

I just got to the last appearance of Captain Thorpe and I got a question: Aside from teh Hoff himself, which character stayed the longest on the show. From the ones we already know I mean.

According to IMDB, Hobie 2 beats out Newmie by 8 episodes to have the second most episode appearances. However Newmie is the only one other than Mitch to be with the show the whole time, so he's tied for longest run.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ol2rzuRDAE

There's something rather amusing to me that Half in the Bag is much more interesting and intellectual when talking about films while MovieBob has turned into a screaming manchild anytime he doesn't like stuff.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Has RLM addressed why there's been so few Best of the Worst videos lately? Looking at their website there's only been four this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Probably because they're busy making their terrible movie.

• Locked thread