Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

djfooboo posted:

They were there. I had to explain to my fiancé what they were.

I bet her reaction was a combo of :barf: and :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Backno posted:

I bet her reaction was a combo of :barf: and :psyduck:

My girlfriend thinks they're hilarious. Of course, she also is the one dragging me to anime expo.

GenCon is much more tasteful than anime expo, as an aside.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Sigma-X posted:

My girlfriend thinks they're hilarious. Of course, she also is the one dragging me to anime expo.

GenCon is much more tasteful than anime expo, as an aside.

Having been to a few anime cons, this is definitely true.

Also way fewer cosplayers at GenCon.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Andarel posted:

Having been to a few anime cons, this is definitely true.

Also way fewer cosplayers at GenCon.

Having been to Anime Central in Chicago way too many times inthe 2003-2011 period, GenCon is a lot better if you would like to actually do any of the programming and not just stand in lines or see cosplay.

GenCon is also better for a wider age range, you don't feel like the oldest person ever if you're over 25.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kaddish posted:

I was flipping through my AD&D players handbook last night and saw this on the back page. I either forgot it was there or just overlooked it so many years ago:

As amazing and wonderful as that is (I did not remember that being there, either, for what it is worth), I was just thinking to myself "why does it seem like I can relate to this?"

Then on a hunch I checked Archive.org's records and ... yep. I am not surprised that things then seemingly changed abruptly in 2002 when Peter Adkison took over. Almost as though a reasonably tech-savvy person who actually knew what he was doing was suddenly in charge!

It also helps explain why my memories of learning about Gen-Con in the 1990s are so fuzzy...you probably still had to find out poo poo in writing(!) even then, barring Usenet posts or other BBS-quality heresay about the convention dates. I do remember feeling kind of like I was being tricked in 1997 the first time I went to Gen-Con in Milwaukee, as I had no proof beyond "our buddy who is driving says this thing is happening" to go on. A very different time.

Sionak posted:

GenCon is also better for a wider age range, you don't feel like the oldest person ever if you're over 25.
Oh good, so it was not just me feeling like the only person over the age of 30 when I randomly went to A-Kon last year since I was already in Dallas anyway. I participated like a good fan, I bought a single bar of soap and some chocolate!!! That is what anime is, right? Household goods?

I also went to Dallas ComiCon, and now I forgot if I asked Mudcrab Merchant if they were in attendance there. I definitely feel like I passed a sexy cosplay booth. But I was too busy trying unsuccessfully to role-play that I was actually at Gen-Con to remember much other than meeting Merle/Yondu

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My score of the con, somebody was selling Warhammer Invasion + first booster cycle + first three deluxe expansion for $20.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Crackbone posted:

My score of the con, somebody was selling Warhammer Invasion + first booster cycle + first three deluxe expansion for $20.

:eyepop: oh poo poo. Is it any good? I've never pulled the trigger on it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Crackbone posted:

That game is solid. It's a steal at that price.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I'm thinking that I will... PROBABLY not be there next year? At least, not unless the economy improves around here.

I do wanna try and make it in two years tho. Bunch of my friends from here also wanna try and go.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
One of my buddies apparently came down with Con Plague early Friday morning. I guess it needed some time to incubate. Anybody else feeling like death?

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

BlackIronHeart posted:

One of my buddies apparently came down with Con Plague early Friday morning. I guess it needed some time to incubate. Anybody else feeling like death?

My girlfriend's been in and out of action since Tuesday, and I've been feeling under the weather.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Dude, I slammed so many Airborne supplements before and durning that if I still got sick I was going to sue.

Worked for me!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We had a pinkeye scare but that's because the kids at work were passing that poo poo around right before we left.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I had a bit of a cold the weekend before the con, and ended up hibernating and using a nety pot religiously and feeling fine by the time I got to the con, I hope I didn't pass anything on. But my sniffling and sneezing was completely gone by then, so I think it was fine. I just had a bit of sniffling afterwards a day or two ago, but it was more likely allergies or otherwise it just passed real fast.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I caught a cold at the con itself and then, after I got over it on Wednesday, caught another one this Thursday. Who knows if it's residual con cooties or just work stress, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I had a bit of a cold the weekend before the con, and ended up hibernating and using a nety pot religiously and feeling fine by the time I got to the con, I hope I didn't pass anything on. But my sniffling and sneezing was completely gone by then, so I think it was fine. I just had a bit of sniffling afterwards a day or two ago, but it was more likely allergies or otherwise it just passed real fast.

Remember I was feeling bad that one morning in the hotel? Was that you!? Just kidding, it was definitely from sleeping under that 55 degree AC vent.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

CaptainRat posted:

I caught a cold at the con itself and then, after I got over it on Wednesday, caught another one this Thursday. Who knows if it's residual con cooties or just work stress, though.

One of the guys I went with passed out big vitamin C tablets every morning. Did it help? I dunno. Did I get sick? Nope! I mean, they were chewable and kinda nasty, but eh... Better than getting sick.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I got a little sick literally as I was leaving the show. Sore throat and runny nose for a couple days, but as far as con-crud goes it was pretty mild.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I managed to avoid the crud this year, though I did find a pothole in the sidewalk the hard way Sunday so I got to bring home a twisted ankle to walk around on for a few days.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
8one6 have it replaced with a powerful bionic ankle

BlackIronHeart posted:

CaptainRat posted:

This scoundrel wrecked my zone

Only the second time I have ever felt under the weather post-Gen-Con, perhaps unsurprisingly also the second time one of my roommates I was spending a lot of time with got sick during the convention.

Other than having to drive from Ohio to Vermont while not really feeling good enough to even get out of bed, no harm done though :mad: though then I got to call in sick to work guilt-free on Friday, so lose/win???

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

8one6 posted:

I managed to avoid the crud this year, though I did find a pothole in the sidewalk the hard way Sunday so I got to bring home a twisted ankle to walk around on for a few days.

I feel your pain, slipped on a wet lobby coming in the hotel Sunday night. No signs or anything, and when I told the front desk the response was "oh." Banged up my knee and hurt my already messed up back. Won't be using that particular Marriott ever again.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Released the RPPR post Gen Con episode: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2015/08/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-118-limping-away-from-gen-con-2015/

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Me and a friend are looking to go to GenCon next year. Looks like we will be staying within driving distance and I found a site called ParkWhiz that lets you buy a parking pass for the whole weekend at certain spots around downtown and I was wondering if anyone has used that site before and how legit it is?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Me and a friend are looking to go to GenCon next year. Looks like we will be staying within driving distance and I found a site called ParkWhiz that lets you buy a parking pass for the whole weekend at certain spots around downtown and I was wondering if anyone has used that site before and how legit it is?

I used it this year without any trouble. You just print out the pass for the day and stick it on the dashboard. The lot I ended up in ended up being a bit further out than I would have liked, but I also didn't reserve anything untill literally the weekend before the con.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I parked at Lucas Stadium the whole weekend. All day parking cost 10 bucks a day, with the exception being Friday when they're was a One Direction concert. That day it was 25 bucks. If you pay mote than that your spot better be within a block of the ICC or you are paying too much.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Carteret posted:

I parked at Lucas Stadium the whole weekend. All day parking cost 10 bucks a day, with the exception being Friday when they're was a One Direction concert. That day it was 25 bucks. If you pay mote than that your spot better be within a block of the ICC or you are paying too much.

How far is Lucas Oil Stadium from the convention?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

We parked at the stadium also except on Friday. It's like 2 blocks away, if you park as close as possible to the east side of the stadium it's like a 5-10min walk from the lot to the center max.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
How early are you guys getting there? I figured it would fill up fast.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

There's a lot of leeway somehow. We got there at 8:30 one day and it was empty, 11 on sunday and still lots of spots.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Andarel posted:

We parked at the stadium also except on Friday. It's like 2 blocks away, if you park as close as possible to the east side of the stadium it's like a 5-10min walk from the lot to the center max.

We should have parked there. Stupid hotel charged us $20 a day and it was 5 blocks away. Would have been easier to stash my loot in the car than walking all the way back to the hotel. They wouldn't even let us leave without tacking on another $5. Don't stay at the Alexander.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Andarel posted:

There's a lot of leeway somehow. We got there at 8:30 one day and it was empty, 11 on sunday and still lots of spots.

Wow that sounds better then paying a bunch in advance for a parking pass.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It was really convenient. I left the lot at close to 3 am most nights and it wasn't an issue. Bring an umbrella I guess? Or never rained, but that's the only real issue. Most of your walk is down the big rear end corridor inside the ICC so even then it's like a block outside, max. It's where I'm parking next year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh in case anyone was wondering, Hilton has finally closed the loop and has all of its downtown hotels 100% unavailable (even for Diamond members!) for the entirety of the convention, even if you try to book a day or two early or late to trick it into thinking you are not going for Gen-Con. Sigh.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Any suggestions for hotels outside of downtown or is it just grab what you can?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Grab what you can/what you can afford with the housing lottery. I got a decent, quiet 92 a night room about 20 minutes drive from ICC. It was inconvenient to have to drive instead of just walking out of my hotel room door to get to the convention, but I was part of #CarCrew2015 so driving wasn't an issue.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Carteret posted:

Grab what you can/what you can afford with the housing lottery. I got a decent, quiet 92 a night room about 20 minutes drive from ICC. It was inconvenient to have to drive instead of just walking out of my hotel room door to get to the convention, but I was part of #CarCrew2015 so driving wasn't an issue.

I was looking at spending about $100 per night also didn't know there was a lottery. I'm guessing that's for the rooms connected to the convention or something or does Gencon just control the reservations for that weekend in all the hotels?

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 9, 2015

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Rad Valtar posted:

I was looking at spending about $100 per night also didn't know there was a lottery. I'm guessing that's for the rooms connected to the convention or something or does Gencon just control the reservations for that weekend in all the hotels?

It really depends on how many rooms each hotel is going to put into the housing block. Its usually a pretty fair amount, but no hotel is putting 100% of its rooms into the housing block. Especially if there are other events happening that same weekend. They'll also leave some open for people who decide to go at the last minute so they can charge them rack rates. Now, I don't know if there's an agreement with each hotel for a set percentage of their rooms or if each hotel allots whatever they want to it. If a hotel isn't in the housing block, then you should be able to book whenever they open reservations for the show dates.

As for the lottery, this was the first year they used it. Last year's hotel reg system couldn't handle the amount of traffic it got and a lot of people got screwed out of rooms that they thought they had/were just about to book when it poo poo itself. For example, I got dumped from the queue and it took me 20 minutes to get back in. All of the downtown hotels were gone by then.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Yeah the guy in our group who was doing our booking had a super short wait then the system froze when he went to pick the room. By the time he got customer service to straighten it out everything was gone :(

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Was able to snag a room within a mile of the convention center. This is my first time going so it's a shot in the dark and will probably end up horrible but hey it's all part of the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Early committals for next years GenCon from my group of friends is like 6 people. Isn't there some hotel that has suites or something?

• Locked thread