Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

himajinga posted:

Oh ok, I see, thanks, didn't mean to be argumentative :cheers:. Yeah I'm absolutely 100% ignorant about Italian wines, so google, plus me liking Vietti's label aesthetic, plus it being available to buy on short notice was my only metric. I'll totally opt for the older bottle in this case then :)

Vietti is very good overall. Look at it this way: It's showing MORE respect to the Vietti to "throw it back" so that it can get old enough for it to be appreciated in the way it deserves. I'll be honest in that I know absolutely nothing about the other producer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I got a bottle of Lopez de Heredia's 1994 Gran Reserva on a whim and it was amazing; can anyone recommend other riojas? I know basically nothing about Spanish wine

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any goon wine drinker/tasters in the Seattle area? I'm interested in finding a tasting group.

I also make wine and am interested in finding goon winemakers in the area. I'm in a wine making group called the Virtuous Vintners and we contract rows from Stillwater Creek, Chandler Reach, and Connor Lee, so if any goon winemakers here are interested in getting good fruit I can hook them up (for next year, this year's harvest is all claimed).

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Overwined posted:

I trust savvy consumers to make the distinction and not let that cast a shadow on the wine itself, but they are the minority. More often they will taste a wine that they will assume that that's how it tastes and never return. Worse yet is when a wine is sort of stretching it's useful date (let's say 4ish days open) so the wine tastes mostly okay, but the oxidized/vinegar tinge is enough to make people think it's not flawed, but they hate it.

The fallout is often silent. I put a wine into a place, train the apathetic staff, then the wine rots. A few weeks later I talk to the buyer and he or she says "this doesn't sell" and we move on down the row to the next victim. The wine is ultimately hurt by this through not fault of its own.

That's basically one of my biggest fears. I can make buyers whole for corked wines or off bottles, but I can't do anything if some shady dude decides to sell a week-old pour of vinegar. I checked with a few bottles and the wine hold up fine overnight, especially if it's left in the fridge, but many consumers can't even detect obvious cork taint - I don't want people drinking the wine once it's past prime and deciding it sucks.

I'm really happy with where it ended up; it's pretty light, but there's some relative depth there that keeps it interesting. I'm really happy with the balance I got between fruit/acid/mouthfeel/bitterness, and I think the wine has a freshness/liveliness to it that's really enjoyable. I don't want people's first impressions to be tired pours.

In other news harvest is already well underway in a lot of places here in California. I'll be heading out to Lodi for Tempranillo in a week or two depending on tomorrow's numbers. It'll be part of a Spanish blend that will also include Garnacha and Graciano. I'll be bottling last year's blend next Sunday and I'm super excited about it - it's really fun, quaffable glou-glou.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll post what I can about harvest if people are interested.

bsummmit
Jul 15, 2015

beefnchedda posted:

Anyone use delectable? I just joined, but it seems like half the fun is actually having people to follow.

I'm on delectable and vivino @ bsummmit

I think vivino is a better app, but delectable is more professionally used. add me

bsummmit
Jul 15, 2015

Overwined posted:

I get where you're coming from, but as a fine wine distributor, I think it IS very important to worry that the consumer perceives this wine as positively as that wine should be perceived, that is according to its own intrinsic quality. Not based on how cheap/lazy an account is. There's obviously a wide spectrum here. I've been to "high end" places that exist solely as a cash grab (I think we've all been familiar with places like this) that doesn't have the ability to sell something more off-the-beaten-path at a decent rate and doesn't have the conscience or care to toss unused wine that's obviously turned. I've been at (and worse, serviced) restaurants that do "table service BTG" (where they bring the bottle over and pour in front of you) where I could clearly see the open date in black magic market and it was 7+ days old.

I trust savvy consumers to make the distinction and not let that cast a shadow on the wine itself, but they are the minority. More often they will taste a wine that they will assume that that's how it tastes and never return. Worse yet is when a wine is sort of stretching it's useful date (let's say 4ish days open) so the wine tastes mostly okay, but the oxidized/vinegar tinge is enough to make people think it's not flawed, but they hate it.

The fallout is often silent. I put a wine into a place, train the apathetic staff, then the wine rots. A few weeks later I talk to the buyer and he or she says "this doesn't sell" and we move on down the row to the next victim. The wine is ultimately hurt by this through not fault of its own.

Where's your territory? I almost took a wine sales job a few years ago but chickened out.
I'm still relatively new to the business with 5 years retail management and almost 3 as a bartender / somm role.

There's two major distributors in our area that 90% of the places work from for 100% of their wine list. Thankfully I work for an outstanding couple who refuse to use product from either of these books. Staffing is a problem in such a place. It's hard to find people who are genuinely excited about wine and willing to put in the effort if they are under-educated.

When your buyer says "this doesn't sell" it's makes me think that time hasn't been taken to dig into that wines story. The history, terrior and culture at that vineyard often sells the wine as much as the taste in my experience.

here is a peak at a slightly out of date BTG list from the space I work in http://imgur.com/ypQCqtY

It's not wine you see everyday which is why I love working in our space so much. I have the chance to take people out of California and show them there's more to it then fruit bomb cab or relax Riesling.

When we come across a bottle that Isn't doing well, I take to google to learn more about that wine and make sure everyone on staff has had a taste and can recite some of my google results to me. It's a super rewarding feeling when you sell through 5 cases of Plavic Mali (AKA ZIN) or Pedro Ximenez (don't think sherry think Vermentino) in a week because your staff now has the tools to relate that wine to their own world and then the customers.

The staff is key, the story / history of the product is key, and the owners ability to work those two things into their space be it a wine shop or restaurant will make or break them as a destination rather then just another attempt.

Cheers

bsummmit fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 10, 2015

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

bsummmit posted:

I'm on delectable and vivino @ bsummmit

I think vivino is a better app, but delectable is more professionally used. add me

What are people's thoughts about things like Vivino and Delectable vs CellarTracker? I've been on CT for a while now and from a purely database standpoint I really like it and it does everything I want it to, but the interface is p function over form and doesn't really have social integration which I can't decide if I care about or not. My partner and I are 'the_lovenest' on CT if anyone wants to add.

bsummmit
Jul 15, 2015
I love cellartracker. I don't have the app. I haven't paid them any money, but I am a register user. I haven't reviewed anything on there. I'm kind of selfishly using it to make more informed wine purchases.

I find CT especially useful in finding the "lifespan" of a wine. I especially love old wine. If I find something I think could be a nice buy I take to google with the name of the wine with vintage followed by cellartracker. Generally people update the "drink by" date regularly on there. And while nothing you read review wise or on CT is bible, I find it to be really useful in weeding out dead wood vs a potential.

I'll add you on there, maybe you'll be my motivation to start contributing.

The wine apps on the other hand have different uses for me. It's awesome to be looking around in a store take a picture of a label and get all the info about that wine. I find vivino does a better job educating per generic info while the reviews on delectable are more credible as you get more industry professionals as contributors.

I've currently got 52 reviews on Vivino, but only 6 on delectable. I get annoyed with delectable sometimes because some of my wine hero's will just post a picture of what they are drinking, but thats it. No feedback, review, thoughts just a picture....not so useful from people who inspire me in wine. Oh well

I'd say download both vivino and delectable. they are both free to get the general feel for them. I paid for vivino before being told from our area big dog in wine I should really be on delectable. Still, I think my heart is with vivino.

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015

Admirable Gusto posted:

I got a bottle of Lopez de Heredia's 1994 Gran Reserva on a whim and it was amazing; can anyone recommend other riojas? I know basically nothing about Spanish wine

A traditional producer that makes consistently outstanding wines is La Rioja Alta. Seek out their Gran Reserva if you can, but their Reservas are also great wines and priced well.

Muga is more of a modern-style player and they make very good stuff as well.

Spain has a loving incredible quality:price ratio so it pays to check out the wines. If you're in the USA, look at a bottle's back label and if the importer is Jorge Ordoñez, buy with confidence 'cause that guy imports primo stuff.

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015
Just wanted to share today's wine:

William Fevre Chablis, 'Fourchaume' 1er Cru 2011

The wine is full of beautiful minerality, plus lemon, just-ripe green pear, oyster shell, cheese rind, and almond skin.

As Burgundy goes, Chablis represents incredible value compared to the Chardonnays of the Côte d'Or. Even Fevre's entry-level Chablis is a really nice wine and hard to beat at the price point. This particular wine comes from the Premier Cru of Fourchaume. Fourchaume is generally considered one of the best Premier Cru sites partially due to its South-West facing exposure. this is similar to the Grand Cru sites, shown clustered together in one contiguous area on the hillsides North of the town of Chablis itself:

Fourchaume shares this SW exposure, shown here NW of the Grand Cru vineyards. This maximizes the vines' exposure to the intense afternoon sun, which is essential to ripening grapes in such a marginal climate as Chablis. The other Premier Cru sites (with a few exceptions such as Montée de Tonnerre and Mont-de-Milieu) face SE, giving them more of the morning sun and less of the more potent afternoon sun. I don't think I've ever had a truly bad Chablis, and the Premier Cru and Grand Cru bottlings are often stunning.

In summary, everyone should drink Chablis, especially if you think you don't like Chardonnay 'cause this poo poo will blow your mind.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Overwined posted:

If you can ever get your hands on anything Cameron makes, buy it. He does not distribute his wine outside of Oregon, but I had a Pinot Noir called "Clos Electrique" from the mid-90s or maybe even late '80s and it was the single best Oregon Pinot Noir I have ever tasted.

EDIT: Dick Shea himself told me that Cameron's biggest clients are usually other Willamette Valley winemakers. I think that alone speaks volumes, especially considering the source.

Thanks for this recommendation; I had a 2012 Abbey Ridge with a 2009 Jadot Lavaux St. Jacques 1er and while it didn't come to the level of the 1er, it was among the best West Coast pinot I've had in a long time. The only pity is that it doesn't seem to be that widespread in California but I'm hoping I can eventually purchase some of the Clos Electrique.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Getting ready to climb in some bins and stomp some grapes in a minute. Trucked out to Lodi this morning to pick up Tempranillo and Garnacha for a Spanish blend. The grapes are all from Eastern Lodi, where the Foothills just barely begin in long, rolling hills and swales. It's only my second year using these vineyards, and I'm still learning when it comes to calling picks, etc.

The Tempranillo looks really nice and tastes good; full of stuffing and spice. Hopefully right around 23 brix, but I need to stomp for a sample first. The Garnacha was tough this year and it was tough last year - super light color on most of it, so the whole time I was questioning myself on the call. I did the same thing last year, though, and it came in right at 23 and made gorgeous grapefruit juice that'll add some lighter aromatics to the blend without weighing it down with higher alcohols/lower acid that might happen if I waited longer. Graciano is the last grape due for the blend, and if harvest is anything like last year (it is and it isn't) I'll be picking it in 3-4 weeks. I loved what I got last year - fresh, ripe blueberries and perfectly ripe, tangy blackberries from the juice. I might let it hang just a teeeeny bit longer this year, though; we'll see.

I bottled last year's blend yesterday; I've been going non-stop for the last three days. loving harvest. I can't wait to smell the fermentation though... It's exciting as hell

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Went to a great wine bar in Paris this summer which I can warmly recommend to anyone interested in wine. It's called Ô Chateau and is at 68 rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau, around 5 minutes walk from the Châtelet - Les Halles metro/RER stop. They do wine tastings, dinner, snacks and just drinking. The main attraction is a huge Enomatic machine with tons of bottles available by the glass.

Excuse the lovely cell pics, particularly this one:

Champagne tasting aboard a riverboat. You get the same sightseeing as everyone else does, only you get to drink champagne as well. Only way to do sightseeing IMO.

My first ever taste of a first growth. (Served through a Coravin, not Enomatic) Amazing thick texture. At €96 a glass, it represents to me a very expensive chance to taste something that would otherwise be too expensive. You can get this bottle for €385 at http://www.chateau.com (unrelated), so the €96 6 cl glass is actually 3x more expensive, but there's obviously more to the math than that. At least I know if I get rich, I will drink some more of this.

The entire menu, which changes regularly:

We tried all the "unique" ones apart from the Meursault. I wish I had tried it instead of the Côte Rôtie. I love Rhône wines and had wanted to try one of the Lalas for a long time, but the 97 La Mouline was actually something of a disappointment - maybe my expectations were too high? It seemed closed. Guess I'll have to taste more of them to find out. For starters we had their homemade fois gras paté with a shared glass of Yquem. Utterly amazing.

The Clos Vougeot was my first ever taste of a mature Grand Cru Burgundy. Sorcery! Every sniff is different. What an amazing thing. I wish could get hooked on something cheaper, like heroin.

But the best part that will appeal to the most is really the charcuterie and cheese plates with wine pairings. Just ask them to pair up something nice. Loire chèvre with Sancerre was great, but an amazing one was this cheese (don't remember the name) with a layer of truffle in it with a white, smoky CdP. Incroyable.

E: forgot pic of Enomatic and platter with pairings:

It's not upscale or snooty or anything like that, the people behind the bar are great and you don't have to spend big €. But obviously you can... The Michelin guide says a three star restaurant is worth a journey, I think this bar rates somewhere along those lines. It's a great excuse to start planning a Paris trip.

Ola fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 25, 2015

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ola posted:

Went to a great wine bar in Paris this summer which I can warmly recommend to anyone interested in wine. It's called Ô Chateau and is at 68 rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau, around 5 minutes walk from the Châtelet - Les Halles metro/RER stop. They do wine tastings, dinner, snacks and just drinking. The main attraction is a huge Enomatic machine with tons of bottles available by the glass.

I got to e-mail back and forth with founder Olivier Magny when he sent me a copy of his book Into Wine for review. Super nice guy.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Great recap, thanks for sharing. What an amazing list.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Keep in mind a standard (at least in my area) btg markup is 4x (i.e. the glass price is what they pay for a bottle) and bottle markups tend to be 2.5-3xish depending on the bottle, so thats not bad at all. I just glanced at wholesale and in new york the cheapest latour I could find was a 1988 for 510$ WHOLESALE. 2011 is 795$ wholesale. So not an unreasonable markup at all. And not that vintage charts are that great but 85 looks like a better year than 88 on robert parker's chart at least.

swimming anime fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 28, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah everywhere I've ever worked, the BTG price is at least within a dollar of the wholesale bottle cost.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's interesting! I think the markup rate is fair, that's how they earn a living and pay their rent after all, but I was surprised there was such a big difference between the NY wholesale market and the Paris retail market. Going to Ô Chateau is good for the bar experience, but getting a cheap plane ticket and shopping some special bottles from http://www.chateau.com is actually a sensible economic decision - at least that's how I'm pitching it to the better half.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm getting married soon, and I want to surprise her with a bottle of wine on the honeymoon. We're driving, so no worries about airports. I'm thinking a Brachetto D'Acqui since she likes sweet wines, and I've never gotten one for her. Are there any recommended ones under $30? Preferably around $20, but it's a special occasion.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm getting married soon, and I want to surprise her with a bottle of wine on the honeymoon. We're driving, so no worries about airports. I'm thinking a Brachetto D'Acqui since she likes sweet wines, and I've never gotten one for her. Are there any recommended ones under $30? Preferably around $20, but it's a special occasion.

I feel like Acqui is pretty inexpensive, usually in the 15-20$ range. Anything you might find in that price range will be fine, i'm sure. If you want something more special maybe go for Sauternes or Tokaji? Port or Marsala? Depends on your price range but sweet wine is great because 20$ will get you something great because sweet wines aren't super popular, but otoh the sky's the limit on baller stuff like Sauternes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

She doesn't like the burn that port has, which I presume is from the extra alcohol. I think I remember reading that Tokaji is low alcohol, is that right? What about Sauternes or Marsala? I saw that one of the Acquis they had at a liquor store here was 5%, which is fine in this case. We'll be coming back after dinner and a few drinks, so it's not like we'll be trying to get drunk just off of that.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

She doesn't like the burn that port has, which I presume is from the extra alcohol. I think I remember reading that Tokaji is low alcohol, is that right? What about Sauternes or Marsala? I saw that one of the Acquis they had at a liquor store here was 5%, which is fine in this case. We'll be coming back after dinner and a few drinks, so it's not like we'll be trying to get drunk just off of that.

Yeah, Port is fortified so it has a bit more burn but imo that is more noticeable the cheaper the port. A lot of sweet wines have low alcohol because the sugar is not totally fermented. So think like... If a wine normally gets to say 13% alcohol, and you stop fermenting halfway, you'll have half of the sugar left (called residual sugar) and half the alcohol. Many sweet wines are fermented completely and then sweetened after the fact, however. Another common sweet wine with lower alcohol would be riesling, especially spatlese or auslese, or even higher quality/price/sweetness, beerenauslese or trockenbeerenauslese. The one thing about the acqui compared to all these other options though is that it's red which is rarer for sweet wines, and that it's often sparkling. So if she likes that specifically it might be better to just stick with it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I was going to suggest a Riesling as well, Spatlese or Auslese with some years on it if you can find it. Fresh acidity, smooth texture and with residual sugar, just not in the huge dessert amounts of Tokaj or Sauternes. But sticking to what's known to be appreciated is never wrong...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was going to get an acqui because she likes sparkly reds, but the liquor store we (she convinced me to tell her the surprise) went to didn't have any aside from special order. So we got a Tokaji. I always wanted to try one and it's going to be a long time before I can talk myself into buying a $40 bottle of wine again. Thanks for the recommendations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just had some Gerard Mugneret 2013 les suchots for dinner and it's truly fantastic. The wine transmuted into this ethereal layered liquid with a delicate fruit core and a hint of spiciness that faded at the beginning. I'm going to have to re-up for a case of this.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

Just had some Gerard Mugneret 2013 les suchots for dinner and it's truly fantastic. The wine transmuted into this ethereal layered liquid with a delicate fruit core and a hint of spiciness that faded at the beginning. I'm going to have to re-up for a case of this.

Oh God! You've had one of those Burgundy experiences. I see a lifetime of :homebrew: and disappointment in your future, punctuated by just enough :vince: experiences to keep you shelling out crazy amounts of cash.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Oh God! You've had one of those Burgundy experiences. I see a lifetime of :homebrew: and disappointment in your future, punctuated by just enough :vince: experiences to keep you shelling out crazy amounts of cash.

It's all part of this Burgundy futures shares that I've bought into so the :homebrew: has already happened and I'm way past committed. I picked mostly Gevrey-Chambertin, Vosne-Romanée and Chambolle-Musigny 1ers with some Chassagne-Montrachet to round out the former so I'm not too worried unless we get another '04 harvest debacle occurring.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hi thread, i just turned 21 and bought my first bottle of wine. It is a Pink Moscato made by Barefoot in california. I had a moscato once on a cruise and i liked it so thats why I got this, also it was 6 dollars. The taste is very sweet, its more alcoholic than the average white wine but its still pretty light. Slightly vinegary. Not that great but pretty good for the money and it got me drunk enough.

Also the bottle said it was great for "Girls night out" which I took to heart by drinking it alone while playing videogames

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The aszu was a success. Extremely good. But should I feel bad for not telling her that it's sweet because of dry rotted grapes?

Also, is it normal for Madeira to taste like cough syrup / dark rum? I had a glass of blandys 15 year and was not a fan.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Farg posted:

hi thread, i just turned 21 and bought my first bottle of wine. It is a Pink Moscato made by Barefoot in california. I had a moscato once on a cruise and i liked it so thats why I got this, also it was 6 dollars. The taste is very sweet, its more alcoholic than the average white wine but its still pretty light. Slightly vinegary. Not that great but pretty good for the money and it got me drunk enough.

Also the bottle said it was great for "Girls night out" which I took to heart by drinking it alone while playing videogames

Im going to do everything I can to help you . Where do you live, what state?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I hail from the great city of Fort Lauderdale, Florida but currently im a bit further north in Gainesville for college, like an hour up from Disney world. My family is Cuban and is mad wine snobby, parents taking week long trips to Canada or Nappa Valley with aunt and uncle to just drive around and taste wine, have yet to share any knowledge with me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Can I mail you a bottle of wine? If you like sweet whites there's a dope Gewürztraminer I was thinking of -- I'm getting it wholesale and it doesn't cost me any more than your bottle of Barefoot and is gonna be way way better; if you were to buy it at a store it would still be pretty affordable in the $15~ range. I just don't want anyone in here to be drinking Barefoot

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I literally never buy red Burg anymore without tasting it first. Even recommendations from people I trust get taken with a grain of salt.

Edit: In what certainly isn't a coincidence, I haven't bought any red Burg since I've started this policy, and have no regrets. There's finally enough good Pinot being produced elsewhere (Canterbury and Hemel-en-Aarde being the best spots) at reasonable prices that I don't miss it.

Slightly related: I highly recommend Vincent Prunier's St. Aubin whites. Easily the best value in white Burg I've had. Coming in sub $50, in you enjoy Leflaive-esque reductive Chardonnay, they're outstanding.

Kasumeat fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 19, 2015

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

I literally never buy red Burg anymore without tasting it first. Even recommendations from people I trust get taken with a grain of salt.

Edit: In what certainly isn't a coincidence, I haven't bought any red Burg since I've started this policy, and have no regrets. There's finally enough good Pinot being produced elsewhere (Canterbury and Hemel-en-Aarde being the best spots) at reasonable prices that I don't miss it.

Slightly related: I highly recommend Vincent Prunier's St. Aubin whites. Easily the best value in white Burg I've had. Coming in sub $50, in you enjoy Leflaive-esque reductive Chardonnay, they're outstanding.

I haven't been disappointed with any of the red purchase I've made so far but most of them have come from fairly well known producers and vineyards with a fair amount of reputation. I tried going the Pinot route from other countries, hence the Orgeon requests and haven't been disappointed at all with the suggestions given (Cameron) but the problem is that the quantity available is sometimes less than what Burgundy offers.

What would you recommend from Canterbury and Hemel-en-Aarde as being good Pinot alternatives?

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

Furious Lobster posted:

I haven't been disappointed with any of the red purchase I've made so far but most of them have come from fairly well known producers and vineyards with a fair amount of reputation. I tried going the Pinot route from other countries, hence the Orgeon requests and haven't been disappointed at all with the suggestions given (Cameron) but the problem is that the quantity available is sometimes less than what Burgundy offers.

What would you recommend from Canterbury and Hemel-en-Aarde as being good Pinot alternatives?

Pyramid Valley and Pegasus Bay are great Pinot producers in Canterbury, and Hamilton Russel and Newton Johnson in Hamel-en-Aarde.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
How long does it usually take the larger (150+ bottle) wine fridges to come to temp from room temp (70F) usually?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

himajinga posted:

How long does it usually take the larger (150+ bottle) wine fridges to come to temp from room temp (70F) usually?

Not long, BUT consider that liquids change temperature much slower than air, so it could take some hours before everything comes down to temp if the chiller is full of wine.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

goferchan posted:

Can I mail you a bottle of wine? If you like sweet whites there's a dope Gewürztraminer I was thinking of -- I'm getting it wholesale and it doesn't cost me any more than your bottle of Barefoot and is gonna be way way better; if you were to buy it at a store it would still be pretty affordable in the $15~ range. I just don't want anyone in here to be drinking Barefoot

What is that one? I've been drinking a lot of Spaetlese Rieslings lately, but I've been eyeing Gewuerztraminers as well.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

goferchan posted:

Well dang I won't say no to a good free recommendation. I don't have PMs or anything but if you give me a way to contact you I could give you a mailing address.

Oh also after last night I went to an actual liquor/wine store today in the hopes of a more robust selection then my local Winn Dixie. I ended up going with another moscato, since I know I like that and I figured it'd be a good contrast to what I just drank the night before. I ended up getting a "Late Harvest Series Moscato" produced by Norton. The label is definitely fancier so +1 there, but its still a screw top so clearly I"m still in the chump leagues.

Anyways the biggest difference in quality I can tell between this and that barefoot is a much clearer aroma, like I can almost smell actual different things instead of just the sorta "flavored alcohol" smell of the barefoot. Also it has a short tail, which means its less alcoholic, I"m pretty sure. Well I know its not that alcoholic but I think thats what the tail indicates.

Its very sweet, a strong fruity taste right away on my tongue? Definitely less vinegary than what I had last night, the vinegar taste is subdued and takes longer to notice. Also I'm drinking this out of an actual (plastic) wine glass instead of just off the top of a bottle so thats a step up! I can swirl it and everything. Overall the wine is pretty good? Not the best I"m assuming but its a really simple flavor and it was 9 bucks on sale. I feel like if I had a friend who didn't like wine at all because they had only had a really dry red at a wedding once or something I"d have them try something like this, not because its incredible but because its a lot easier to enjoy for someone who is completely fresh to wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hello Winefriends. I'm going to be traveling up the coast of California from San Diego to the Russian River area and would like some suggestions of wineries to visit. I'm partial to really interesting/unusual wines, not a fan of stereotypical California chards. Kalin Cellars sprung to mind for their sheer oddity (and amazing website) but I'm not familiar enough with other options to plan for much. Any suggestions? Central Coast/Sonoma area stuff encouraged, it's a long drive to the Bay Area and I'll need something to entertain me on the way.