Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

@blm_seattle has 46 followers on twitter. definitely leaders of a mass movement here

it's also apologized for the protest??? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

@blm_seattle has 46 followers on twitter. definitely leaders of a mass movement here

It's even better for him if they're weak, makes them easier to co-opt and then use to get at in with the movement internationally. :bernin:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bernie should go for Maoism Third Worldism. Death to the global oppressor.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Chris Aaron ‏@ChrisAaron83 38m38 minutes ago

@blm_seattle Maybe it would be of benefit to both @SenSanders and #BlackLivesMatter if they could work together in future rallies?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Brannock posted:

sanders is in the race specifically to force Rodham C. to move leftward economically

by trying to get sanders to also include other issues they are inherently diluting their potential impact because it's going to be filtered through sanders, compared to if they were pulling this stunt at Rodham C.'s rallies and forcing the mainstream democrats to also pay attention to #blm along with the sanders candidacy, instead of filing it away under "everything that that sanders guys stands for"

why are you typing "Rodham C." instead of a more sensible rendering of her name?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

HappyHippo posted:

why are you typing "Rodham C." instead of a more sensible rendering of her name?

This brave, inspiring woman has absolutely nothing to do with her husband and it is incredibly loving patriarchal to refer to her by her husband's surname

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mirthless posted:

lol if you still don't think this is about him being a jew

I don't understand how that is the issue but, I'm not keeping up with how the BLM thing is evolving either. Historically, I thought American Jews have always been supportive and active in the advancement of Civil Rights issues. I thought the Jewish and Black communities had a long history of mutual support. But, maybe I'm just naive and uninformed.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sanders needs to hire a better media team. His website looks like an incumbent Senator running for reelection. Little about what he'd do as president mostly about what he's done in the past. Which is great if he was just running for reelection, but he's not. If he wanted to not have his little time in the spotlight dimmed by radicals he should actually put on his website that he supports universal voter registration, increased funding for early childhood education, police reform, etc.

That would reduce the number of people questioning him from the left, there'd still be some of course but it would reduce the distraction.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Mirthless posted:

lol if you still don't think this is about him being a jew

loving called it.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Brannock posted:

subjugate the Goddamn Jew lest ye be subjugated by him

What about Ye be subjugated by her?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lote posted:

What about Ye be subjugated by her?

Bernie's already being subjugated by Debbie Wasserman Schultz

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Brannock posted:

This brave, inspiring woman has absolutely nothing to do with her husband and it is incredibly loving patriarchal to refer to her by her husband's surname

Referring to her as property of her father's line, on the other hand...no improvement.

The candidate should take a new name, like Hillary X, for instance.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I can't parse any of this. I'm completely unmoored and the whole world is going insane without me. What's HAPPENING ANYMORE!? HELP MEEE

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

radical meme posted:

I don't understand how that is the issue but, I'm not keeping up with how the BLM thing is evolving either. Historically, I thought American Jews have always been supportive and active in the advancement of Civil Rights issues. I thought the Jewish and Black communities had a long history of mutual support. But, maybe I'm just naive and uninformed.

The NOI and BPP were historically extremely antisemetic during the civil rights movement. Antisemitism is a negative stereotype that's followed the black community ever since.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

the free palestine thing has been used in other blm things before guys, come on. it's the bow down bernie that's weird.

also it's weird to call them slacktivists. interrupting a presidential candidate's pre-rally ain't slacktivism, no matter what you think of the group's positions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So what did the disruptive protestors want?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

To be able to speak, which they did. So.. mission accomplished?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

the free palestine thing has been used in other blm things before guys, come on. it's the bow down bernie that's weird.

also it's weird to call them slacktivists. interrupting a presidential candidate's pre-rally ain't slacktivism, no matter what you think of the group's positions.

Yeah, Palestinians and BLM have shown solidarity since Ferguson when Palestinians gave advice over twitter on how to deal with tear gas. Free Palestine's inclusion is pretty expected, and using that as evidence of anti-semitism is pretty awful on a few levels.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
idk it's pretty slack to demand that a rich white jew fix your problems for you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Did the actual rally happen yet?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Miltank posted:

Did the actual rally happen yet?

7pm PST

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BattleCattle posted:

I can't parse any of this. I'm completely unmoored and the whole world is going insane without me. What's HAPPENING ANYMORE!? HELP MEEE

A meeting before a rally for a man who will never be president was interrupted by black people. This makes goons angry, because they believe the man who will never be president should totally be supported by all the black people ever.

Kabanaw posted:

Yeah, Palestinians and BLM have shown solidarity since Ferguson when Palestinians gave advice over twitter on how to deal with tear gas. Free Palestine's inclusion is pretty expected, and using that as evidence of anti-semitism is pretty awful on a few levels.

Definitely, but some people just seem to have some sort of agenda that they want to pin on anyone who opposes their candidate at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BLM/SJWs sabotaging Bernie is just proof that Mao was right about liberals. They will stop at nothing to stop progress and must be destroyed imo.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Can't stump the trump

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

Specifically, Ferguson and Protective Edge happened pretty close together, so a lot of indie progressive reporters ended up colliding on twitter and realizing how much they have in common. Palestine is basically the testbed for new security measures so they were very helpful WRT stuff like tear gas.

Considering that the only palestine related thing is at the bottom then at best it's just paying respect, and at worst they're tossing israel support in the pile of Stuff Bad For Black People

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BattleCattle posted:

The quarantine is leaking.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I'm seeing three total #BowDownBernie tweets and two of them are in support of Bernie Sanders.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm glad that we can hold the racist Bernie Sanders responsible for actions incorrectly attributed to him

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

To the press release!

quote:

PRESS RELEASE: Black Lives Matter Seattle ‪#‎BowDownBernie‬ Action
This city is filled with white progressives, which is why Bernie Sanders’ camp was obviously expecting a friendly and consenting audience for today’s campaign visit. The problem with Sanders’, and with white Seattle progressives in general, is that they are utterly and totally useless (when not outright harmful) in terms of the fight for Black lives. While we are drowning in their liberal rhetoric, we have yet to see them support Black grassroots movements or take on any measure of risk and responsibility for ending the tyranny of white supremacy in our country and in our city. This willful passivity while claiming solidarity with the ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬ movement in an effort to be relevant is over. White progressive Seattle and Bernie Sanders cannot call themselves liberals while they participate in the racist system that claims Black lives. Bernie Sanders will not continue to call himself a man of the people, while ignoring the plight of Black people. Presidential candidates will not win Black votes without putting out an explicit criminal justice reform package. As was said at the Netroots action, presidential candidates should expect to be shut down and confronted every step along the way of this presidential campaign. Black people are in a state of emergency. Lines have been drawn in the sand. You are either fighting continuously and measurably to protect Black life in America, or you are a part of the white supremacist system that we will tear down in the liberation of our people.

So there you go. They seem to want to jolt white liberals out of their status quo and demand explicit plans for criminal reform and not just tepid support of BLM.

Incidentally, as far as #BowDownBernie goes, I might be too sympathetic, but it honestly comes across to me as the result of a small group of people sitting around trying to come up with a good slogan or hashtag. #BowDownBernie is the sort of catchy-sounding phrase that I could see a small group of people thinking works, without realizing the unpleasant connotations until later on.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I support their demands for an explicit criminal justice reform package. That sounds like a good thing for Bernie to have.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Close up clip from the abandoned rally.
https://twitter.com/SooperMexican/status/630152729751633920

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xanderkish posted:

To the press release!

quote:

While we are drowning in their liberal rhetoric, we have yet to see them support Black grassroots movements or take on any measure of risk and responsibility for ending the tyranny of white supremacy in our country and in our city. This willful passivity while claiming solidarity with the ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬ movement in an effort to be relevant is over.

So there you go. They seem to want to jolt white liberals out of their status quo and demand explicit plans for criminal reform and not just tepid support of BLM.

Yeah that's a winning message right there. Maybe they could get Dr. Ben Carson, the only black candidate in the race, to support that.

edit: I'm in support of the overall BLM movement but gently caress these specific people; they've done more harm than good.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 9, 2015

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SOOPERMEXICAN
Sooper. Mexy. CONservative.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This is so overwhelmingly stupid strategically. I fully support the notion behind Black Lives Matter, and most of their actions have been awesome, but them attacking Bernie is so bizarre and counterproductive. I mean, if they were putting effective pressure on him, that would be one thing, but this is fullblown classical progressive in-fighting of the most moronic kind.
I don't even disagree with their points about Seattle, but they're going about their goals in a wholly incompetent, embarrassing way likely to draw maximum ire from Bernie supporters. If the national Black Lives Matters movement supports this, they will have dealt themselves a huge blow. White liberals CAN be pretty racist, but it's tactically unsound to scream in their faces.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

jesus christ lol how can anyone defend this

they're literally assaulting this guy, these two "protestors" are physically assaulting someone who is not even against what they stand for

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Spatula City posted:

This is so overwhelmingly stupid strategically. I fully support the notion behind Black Lives Matter, and most of their actions have been awesome, but them attacking Bernie is so bizarre and counterproductive. I mean, if they were putting effective pressure on him, that would be one thing, but this is fullblown classical progressive in-fighting of the most moronic kind.
I don't even disagree with their points about Seattle, but they're going about their goals in a wholly incompetent, embarrassing way likely to draw maximum ire from Bernie supporters. If the national Black Lives Matters movement supports this, they will have dealt themselves a huge blow. White liberals CAN be pretty racist, but it's tactically unsound to scream in their faces.

This kind of action has gotten the next democratic nominee to agree with their concerns unreservedly. That's a huge tactical victory.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

SOOPERMEXICAN
Sooper. Mexy. CONservative.

I made Thomas Sowell laugh

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Spatula City posted:

its only a couple of spoilers, it's not the entire movement.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
yeah, it's pretty obvious that Marissa Johnson and her cohorts don't have much support behind them:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Whoa good thing that guy isn't a cop

• Locked thread