Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Crabtree posted:

If Scrotus and the Wasteland itself are worthy enemies than we won't really need a nemesis system. It's probably more fair to say its Just Cause but with resource management than outright Batman or Mordor. Nemesis was basically just a filler that didn't mean poo poo if you were good enough kill any Orc you went up against. If the game's fun enough in loving around and exploring, the story can just be building up your car until you're ready to murder Scrotus.

You take that back! The nemesis system is fantastic and needs to be in literally every game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TescoBag posted:

The nemesis system is fantastic and needs to be in literally every game

Maybe not every game, but it could certainly be used to great effect in many games.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Every game. Barbie Horse Adventures needs the nemesis system.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

TescoBag posted:

You take that back! The nemesis system is fantastic and needs to be in literally every game

What it would make possibly the most sense in would be a batman game.

Think about it, pretty much every major villain is someone who had some crazy disfiguring thing happen to them.

So you throw a mook into acid accidentally in a fight an the next thing you know you have the joker running around.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tehan posted:

Every game. Barbie Horse Adventures needs the nemesis system.
So how would that work,

would you decapitate the enemy horses or the enemy riders?

or brand the horses to make them decapitate the riders when they least expect it

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TescoBag posted:

I'm sorry, but I was just too good at Mordor to feel the the Nemesis system was worth it. For me I just kept killing the same 3-5 orcs who would keep coming back no matter how many times I kill them and usually without any difficulty in doing so, even before I unlocked branding. The only time I actually saw how it could change was when I forced myself to die just to get Rise and Fall.

Maybe if the combat was different or they beefed it up, the system could be good.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Crabtree posted:

I'm sorry, but I was just too good at Mordor to feel the the Nemesis system was worth it. For me I just kept killing the same 3-5 orcs who would keep coming back no matter how many times I kill them and usually without any difficulty in doing so, even before I unlocked branding. The only time I actually saw how it could change was when I forced myself to die just to get Rise and Fall.

Maybe if the combat was different or they beefed it up, the system could be good.

It didn't help that if you chose to take the health and slow mo wraith more meter upgrades, you became pretty dang powerful while the orcs didn't scale with you. Mooks being weak was fine, but captains and chiefs should've grown with you :shobon: The last time I played I ignored both and things felt much nicer, even got to see some new orc variations.

HenryEx posted:

So how would that work,

would you decapitate the enemy horses or the enemy riders?

or brand the horses to make them decapitate the riders when they least expect it

Brand the horse, then make it kick the rider when they go to mount it. Or bite. Or both. Horses can be terrifying.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Something I hadn't seen yet:

Hadn't heard of intel folks before, neat. Was always fun running down intel orcs in Shadow of Mordor :toot:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

One of the RPS got some time with the game at Gamescon and revealed possibly the best thing about the game. It has a slam sideways button ala Sleeping Dogs :black101:

Goddammit why do I have to choose between so many good games this fall?!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ShootaBoy posted:

One of the RPS got some time with the game at Gamescon and revealed possibly the best thing about the game. It has a slam sideways button ala Sleeping Dogs :black101:

good, that confimed what i assumed. sleeping dogs is one of those games that should be copied/stolen from more often.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ShootaBoy posted:

On the plus side, you can choose between zero games right now.
The landslide of crap that has been this summers game drought has left me firing up winuae and K240.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The summer drought is irrelevant since Witcher 3 should be enough to last through fall :v:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The witcher is just as much an aquired taste as any bethesda role playing game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There are enough video games currently in the world, that you can easily bide your time with older releases. I have found myself, once again, sucked into Dawn Of War.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Play Crusader Kings II and nothing else until this comes out.

gently caress, now I want a Mad Max CK2 mod. I guess After the End sort of works.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

There are enough video games currently in the world, that you can easily bide your time with older releases. I have found myself, once again, sucked into Dawn Of War.

I have been playing various mods of warband. Plus the gears 1 remake and dishonored pc edition this time for consoles comes out a week before this and mgs5. then its nothing til October and November.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Capn Beeb posted:

Something I hadn't seen yet:

Hadn't heard of intel folks before, neat. Was always fun running down intel orcs in Shadow of Mordor :toot:

As long as it's not super annoying like the Riddler Informants in Arkham Knight.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I didn't mind the Riddle Informants in Arkham City. Were there many changes to them in Arkham Knight?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I didn't mind the Riddle Informants in Arkham City. Were there many changes to them in Arkham Knight?

They were in cars that you had to blow up just enough for them to get out but not die, as well as usually being packed in with a few other goons that you had to knock out, without being able to knock out the informant.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

They are super stubborn about actually spawning,and when they do they almost always give info to a completely different part of town than the one they're actually currently in.

Edit: :ninja:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
My main takeaway from that article is you can turn your vehicle into a bright pink wheel-spiked death machine.

Day one purchase right there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

My main takeaway from that article is you can turn your vehicle into a bright pink wheel-spiked death machine.

Day one purchase right there.

yeah, ripping some hosed up teen with stage seven lymphoma out the back of his shitbox scrotomobile with a harpoon gun then running over all his friends with a few getting stuck on your car spikes, sounds like a hell of a time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like there's a Live Stream of the game right now.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 13, 2015

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Stream was awesome. Really can't wait now, gonna head down later and use this $60 credit and grab a preorder.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Orv posted:

They were in cars that you had to blow up just enough for them to get out but not die, as well as usually being packed in with a few other goons that you had to knock out, without being able to knock out the informant.

Bullshit you can blow their cars to hell and they always magically survive. Don't be a scrub, use freeze grenades while you deal with the other dudes, and mash counter once you start interrogating them in case they decide to try to be a punk.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

I witnessed this.

NOT :mediocre: in the slightest.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Went down and grabbed myself that preorder. These next 2 weeks are gonna be loooong.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Is there no way to view this stream? Does twitch record them?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

Went down and grabbed myself that preorder. These next 2 weeks are gonna be loooong.

Same here. The game, judged as a Mad Max game, is :perfect:
I hope,anyway.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TescoBag posted:

I hope they release the footage. I watched part of the stream when they were weakening a stronghold and it looked really fun.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
And now the dilemma that I always face with multi-plat games, PC or PS4? After the Arkham Knight port debacle I'm leaning towards PS4 if I don't want to agonize over the decision.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unless you're willing to wait go PS4.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Anti-Hero posted:

And now the dilemma that I always face with multi-plat games, PC or PS4? After the Arkham Knight port debacle I'm leaning towards PS4 if I don't want to agonize over the decision.

Part of Arkham Knight's problem was using Denuvo DRM. Avalanche has a good record of being vocal against lovely DRM, so maybe it won't be another case of that bogging things down.

However, WB is the publisher on both games, so there's that to consider as well :ohdear:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Unless you're willing to wait go PS4.

That's kind of my feeling. My PC has some significant technical advantages but I feel they don't outweigh the "it just works" factor like a console does for games I'm suspicious of having a mediocre port. Counter-point: Mordor was published by WB and that was an amazing port done in-house. Do we know if Avalanche is porting themselves or is it farmed out?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TescoBag posted:

Sorry dude, no idea yet if they put that on a YouTube or anything, but hopefully someone either finds a recording or they do another stream.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Stream was awesome. Really can't wait now, gonna head down later and use this $60 credit and grab a preorder.

drat what did it show?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I did not catch all of it, but I saw this much:

Max can travel to survivor strongholds and do side missions for them. The one they showed was Max rescuing a guy who knows how to make shotgun ammo from a gang of slavers. After returning the ammo-maker to the stronghold where he got the mission, Max used something called a "project part" that he had picked up at a warboy camp. This let him build a lab for the ammo-maker that allowed him to refill Max's shotgun ammo whenever Max visited that stronghold. This perk had a cooldown so that you couldn't just keep getting ammo by walking in and out of the stronghold.

Combat is freeflow, and looks very brutal. Suplexing a guy onto his head, pinning him against a wall and pounding his gut, grabbing a club or thunderpoon and using it on anyone who gets in your way. There are also shivs that do heavy damage to stunned enemies, but you can only carry a limited amount. Max also has a shoulder tackle that can send enemies flying into walls or off of ledges.

As you level up, you unlock new stuff for Max and his car. One of the things they did during the stream was keep unlocking longer beards for Max. Attaching stuff like ramming grills and spikes to your car provides more combat options, but makes it slower and harder to control. You can unlock new car types by finding junked chassis in the desert, stealing cars from enemies, or winning races called Death Runs.

Max had to look for opportunities to get food and water during the livestream, which was needed to heal combat damage. There are people wandering the desert that you can stop and give water to. Sometimes, they mark things on your map that you can't find any other way. Sometimes they just take the water and keep going.

Late in the demo, Max and his blackfinger companion Chumbucket traveled to a new stronghold and had to take down a warboy base to unlock more missions. Max used a sniper rifle to eliminate spotters on the towers, then destroyed the perimeter defenses with the harpoon gun and finally crashed through the front gates of the base in his car. He had to work his way up to the top of the tallest tower, fighting warboys until he reached the top and faced the Top Dog in a boss battle.

I missed the first part of the stream, so hopefully someone else recorded it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
gently caress me that sounds awesome

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I noticed that one of your consumable items is shivs, which can be used to instantly kill an enemy, but just once since it breaks.

Max sure gets long-rear end beards according to that stream. Like, Duck Dynasty beards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Shiv special that triggers after a decent combo number builds up isn't a instant finisher, its just a harder hitting attack that you can pull of on an enemy like Batman only you likely need to craft them to use it. There could be other moves to unlock and weapons to find, but usually running enemies over or shotgunning them in the face seems to be the best ways to trigger instant gratification.

They also showed off using or ambushing other vehicles like Scrapmobiles that if you take out without exploding them, you can drive the car to a garage and earn a poo poo load of scrap. Tiers of enemies exist within Scrotus's Army whose vehicles can still be used as basic disguises to infiltrate enemy camps or stealth-fully approach sniper nests and other towers before you ram them into scrap without drawing too much attention. But I don't know if that will ramp up in certain areas like you need the car of a War Boy and not some meat bug or whatever the weaker enemies are called.

• Locked thread