Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

This kind of action has gotten the next democratic nominee to agree with their concerns unreservedly. That's a huge tactical victory.

That's bullshit. This is the same as the Occupy circle jerk. I've yet to see anyone, anywhere be able to name even one person at the front of BLM. If you don't have a leadership then you can't have any platform or even goals. It's a cluster gently caress open to whoever wants to highjack it for their own agenda. Maybe Justine Tunney will agree to lead them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Good Citizen posted:

Whoa good thing that guy isn't a cop

jesus

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Pinterest Mom posted:

This kind of action has gotten the next democratic nominee to agree with their concerns unreservedly. That's a huge tactical victory.

A Hillary Clinton campaign intern wrote a facebook post in support of #BlackLivesMatter several days after Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley were publically embarrassed by protesters, this represents a victory for criminal justice reform policy and will certainly lead to concrete actions in the White House. Or Hillary Clinton is someone who literally cannot be trusted to implement progressive policies and is personally responsible for many of the issues #BlackLivesMatter is talking about, and thus it is doubtful that she will do anything despite her intern's social media posts.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Ahahahahahah

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Xanderkish posted:

To the press release!

So there you go. They seem to want to jolt white liberals out of their status quo and demand explicit plans for criminal reform and not just tepid support of BLM.

It has prompted the exact opposite reaction from me, and I'm sure many others feel the same. But the left eating itself alive isn't anything new.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Official Bernie Response posted:

SEATTLE – Sen. Bernie Sanders issued the following statement today after two demonstrators blocked him from addressing an event hosted by an organization supporting Social Security and Medicare:

“I am disappointed that two people disrupted a rally attended by thousands at which I was invited to speak about fighting to protect Social Security and Medicare. I was especially disappointed because on criminal justice reform and the need to fight racism there is no other candidate for president who will fight harder than me.”

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
At the end of the day, I'm sure Bernie Sander will release a statement on criminal justice reform and continue to support #BlackLivesMatter just as he made it clear that he supported their efforts after the NRN protest. I'm also sure that this won't matter and that he will get protested against despite his record and efforts during this campaign.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Unlike other candidates, Bernie isn't terrified irrationally by black folks. I'm sure he'll find some way to connect with them and address some of their concerns more specifically. This is more than salvageable - it is a crucial moment with the potential for a lot of dialogue and good to come from it. As people have pointed out, the only reason they were able to disrupt his speech is that he's the only one doing stuff like this. He's the only one that has a chance of actually getting some real dialogue going. I hope he takes it, and I hope it works out for him. For all of us.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eh, that's not the best way of going about it, Bernie.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

bernie please give your criminal justice reform plan details instead of this

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Proposition Joe posted:

A Hillary Clinton campaign intern wrote a facebook post in support of #BlackLivesMatter several days after Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley were publically embarrassed by protesters, this represents a victory for criminal justice reform policy and will certainly lead to concrete actions in the White House. Or Hillary Clinton is someone who literally cannot be trusted to implement progressive policies and is personally responsible for many of the issues #BlackLivesMatter is talking about, and thus it is doubtful that she will do anything despite her intern's social media posts.

Hillary is smart though. This is going to look bad for Bernie (maybe although there does seem to be some backlash), meanwhile Clinton is not engaging or hanging out with people who can donate $2700 to her campaign, she's out of the media's attention and can later post something well edited on social media. It's great strategery.

Although it does kind of speak to how she'll govern but what does that matter.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Great name / post combo

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, that could have been handled way better.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

echronorian posted:

Great name / post combo

No it wasn't

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Um yeah because I wanted something else. Black lives matter

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

if it makes you guys feel better, they probably would've hijacked any other candidate that actually had an open rally too

radical meme posted:

That's bullshit. This is the same as the Occupy circle jerk. I've yet to see anyone, anywhere be able to name even one person at the front of BLM. If you don't have a leadership then you can't have any platform or even goals. It's a cluster gently caress open to whoever wants to highjack it for their own agenda. Maybe Justine Tunney will agree to lead them.
off the top of my head, alicia garza, although i suppose she's more a founder than anything. and honestly, i think the goals of blm are pretty clear compared to something like occupy.

reagan posted:

It has prompted the exact opposite reaction from me, and I'm sure many others feel the same. But the left eating itself alive isn't anything new.
hahaha you're loving kidding me

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Unlike other candidates, Bernie isn't terrified irrationally by black folks. I'm sure he'll find some way to connect with them and address some of their concerns more specifically. This is more than salvageable - it is a crucial moment with the potential for a lot of dialogue and good to come from it. As people have pointed out, the only reason they were able to disrupt his speech is that he's the only one doing stuff like this. He's the only one that has a chance of actually getting some real dialogue going. I hope he takes it, and I hope it works out for him. For all of us.
Yep. Bernie's a good dude and I hope he doesn't let this pass him by. Like, that statement up there is 100% true and also way too generalized.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Yeah, that could have been handled way better.

That's what so frustrating to me about this. Why the gently caress didn't Sanders hire a community liaison to help him say the correct things to respond to this stuff?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

reagan posted:

Its not the 'Left', its the stupid morality cult of modern American liberalism - what people are actually referring to when they mean 'SJWs'. The kind that is going to put the rightist neoliberal Hilary into power just to spite Leftists for, you know, actually focusing on the Class War. Its kind of like how people complain about progressives sacrificing minority issues to focus on economics, only except in reality its the exact opposite and its poisoning us.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/04/1-99-percent-class-inequality/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trabisnikof posted:

That's what so frustrating to me about this. Why the gently caress didn't Sanders hire a community liaison to help him say the correct things to respond to this stuff?

He should have remembered from his activisty days, to be honest.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Good Citizen posted:

I have never wanted an unarmed person to get shot so badly in my life.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sinestro posted:

:stare:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm concerned there are some age-related cracks in Bernie's shell of competence, that he can't respond quickly enough, with enough to substance, to certain things. I hope I'm wrong.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sinestro posted:

Dude what the gently caress is wrong with you

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

off the top of my head, alicia garza, although i suppose she's more a founder than anything. and honestly, i think the goals of blm are pretty clear compared to something like occupy.

So what does Alicia Garza have to say about this? If she's that important to the movement then maybe she should have an opinion about what people are doing in the name of BLM.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Something Else posted:

I'm concerned there are some age-related cracks in Bernie's shell of competence, that he can't respond quickly enough, with enough to substance, to certain things. I hope I'm wrong.

I suspect the wishy-washy response has a lot more to do with the fact that he's about to address an audience of 20,000 people and doesn't have time to carefully craft a policy plan in the two hours between rallies?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yeah, why don't more politicians have focus groups to tell them what buzzwords to use

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Sinestro posted:

hosed up if true.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mirthless posted:

I suspect the wishy-washy response has a lot more to do with the fact that he's about to address an audience of 20,000 people and doesn't have time to carefully craft a policy plan in the two hours between rallies?

Oh, it's definitely that. But he's had time since NetRoots. I'm sure he's working on it, but if this happens again in Portland and Los Angeles, it's going to be bad.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sinestro posted:

Bernie supporter spotted

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think Bernie can handle the issue better, but at the same time I feel there's a lot of people projecting onto him things he hasn't said. Is it his place, as a white man, to take a larger leadership role in the BLM movement anyway? If anything he did a better thing with allowing them to use his platform.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Something Else posted:

Oh, it's definitely that. But he's had time since NetRoots. I'm sure he's working on it, but if this happens again in Portland and Los Angeles, it's going to be bad.

Agreed. I'm hoping he'll lay something out during the rally tonight, it's a big event and if he doesn't at least lay out something WRT criminal justice reform it's going to be hard for him to continue to say he cares about this issue.

Neeksy posted:

I think Bernie can handle the issue better, but at the same time I feel there's a lot of people projecting onto him things he hasn't said. Is it his place, as a white man, to take a larger leadership role in the BLM movement anyway? If anything he did a better thing with allowing them to use his platform.

He already has, and he just did, though. Because, again, what other candidate would have let this happen?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mirthless posted:

That is also true. Let's hope he addresses it better tomorrow, when tempers have cooled.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

tbf its kinda hard to rearrange your whole schedule to address something that happened at small event an hour or two before you go on stage in front of 12k+ people

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Neeksy posted:

It is his place, as a progressive presidential candidate, to have a real & relevant criminal justice/police reform plan. The timeline on which that must appear if the source of contention, I guess.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Sinestro posted:

I too have a deep nihilistic misanthropy and desire violence and death on people who annoy me.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Something Else posted:

It is his place, as a progressive presidential candidate, to have a real & relevant criminal justice/police reform plan. The timeline on which that must appear if the source of contention, I guess.

True. I agree that he needs to be better about having that kind of criminal justice plan, but that if he does want to say "Black Lives Matter" he should accompany that with giving the mic to the people who directly experience the realities of it than to try and speak for the movement. Essentially he should parter with the movement without trying to fully absorb it into his own.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I am so pissed off that Bernie's event was ruined. Idiots.

edit: Wait, this wasn't the 20k person event? Thank godsatan

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Its not the 'Left', its the stupid morality cult of modern American liberalism - what people are actually referring to when they mean 'SJWs'. The kind that is going to put the rightist neoliberal Hilary into power just to spite Leftists for, you know, actually focusing on the Class War. Its kind of like how people complain about progressives sacrificing minority issues to focus on economics, only except in reality its the exact opposite and its poisoning us.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/04/1-99-percent-class-inequality/
You know, it's possible to want to focus on both economic issues and social issues. Like, focusing on economic issues will solve a lot of problems, but it won't stop the whole unarmed black people being shot by the cops problem and it won't close the wage gap between men and women and it won't get rid of the need for ENDA, and so on.

The correct solution to all of these things is to advocate left economic policies, such as Sanders is doing, and when the opportunity arises, to incorporate these social issues, because they're intertwined, like Sanders wants and likely will (but some of his supporters haven't quite gotten yet).

Sinestro posted:

holy poo poo dude

radical meme posted:

So what does Alicia Garza have to say about this? If she's that important to the movement then maybe she should have an opinion about what people are doing in the name of BLM.
dunno, because i'm not plugged into the hivemind of all people of color ever. my intuition is that if bernie can half-rear end a press release or comment because he's got something major going on, she can too? it's been an hour man, come on, and the actual rally hasn't even started yet.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Its not ruined he is still gonna speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xanderkish posted:

I too have a deep nihilistic misanthropy and desire violence and death on people who annoy me.

Yeah Sinestro, pretty hosed up. You should only desire violence and death on yourself.

• Locked thread