Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Mark Jackson is probably the worst chapter in battery advertising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmQhkaw_ypE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

I love checking out Ross and Marshalls for the weird sports stuff they get. Traded players, out of date jerseys, whatever. And sometimes you can really find legit good stuff. But their buyers are sometimes really off. Stuff I have seen in Pittsburgh that probably did not go over well:

Boston Bruins Stanley Cup merch
Pittsburg State University gear (It's in Kansas)
San Diego Padres batting practice hats (P logo must have thrown them off)

They also have championship shirts/hats for teams that actually lost - I saw someone the other day that got a Royals 2014 World Series Champions shirt for under $10. I would love to have something like that, regardless of team.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

And surprisingly, the real ones' parts cost about the same.

In other news a $700 smartphone costs about $200 to build.

I'm vaguely surprised a pair of Beats costs that little to make. But without knowing the retailer markup or what the components in a pair of competing headphones cost, it's difficult to tell whether consumers are getting ripped off.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It probably says a lot about me that most of my clothes are five years old or even older, and that most are from a department store in country I moved away from three years ago.

Some of the clothes I own that fit me the best are the ones I bought from a luxury (read: as good as standard American fare) South African chain while living in Dar es Salaam. Clothes are weird.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Mark Jackson is probably the worst chapter in battery advertising.

This was definitely the weirdest bit of America's brief fascination with all things Australian. Okay, Paul Hogan, Mel Gibson, the America's Cup, Aussie slang, fine. But some random footballer hawking batteries with "Oi!" as the catchphrase? Where's that come from?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Phanatic posted:

This was definitely the weirdest bit of America's brief fascination with all things Australian. Okay, Paul Hogan, Mel Gibson, the America's Cup, Aussie slang, fine. But some random footballer hawking batteries with "Oi!" as the catchphrase? Where's that come from?

We had those ads here in Australia for a good part of the 90s, too. I didn't understand it either.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Xibanya posted:

Some of the clothes I own that fit me the best are the ones I bought from a luxury (read: as good as standard American fare) South African chain while living in Dar es Salaam. Clothes are weird.

Honestly, if you have decent thrift shops in your area, they're by far your best bet. I live around the corner from a fairly awesome one, and just by popping in when I'm bored I have far more nice things than I'd otherwise be able to afford. They're especially great for kitchen stuff... I've scored Le Creuset pans, a Sodastream, indestructible vintage Pyrex, and gorgeous plates and glassware, and have rarely spent more than ten bucks on anything. Paying retail is for chumps.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Theres a segment from 'Hard Copy' from 1993 about Mark Jackson's rise to international battery stardom on youtube.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Saw this posted near my house recently:

I get what they're going for, but the name "sad yoga" and the picture of a woman with a bag on her head just seem really weird and dumb.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I only found out last week that "hot yoga" is yoga done in a heated environment, and not yoga done for the purposes of becoming more sexy.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Dr_Amazing posted:

I only found out last week that "hot yoga" is yoga done in a heated environment, and not yoga done for the purposes of becoming more sexy.

it's actually always both

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Okay people, we're making a magazine cover that will get people excited about VR technology. Can you all handle that?

Good work, everyone.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FutonForensic posted:

Okay people, we're making a magazine cover that will get people excited about VR technology. Can you all handle that?

Good work, everyone.

If it wasn't for the date and the caption about the Oculus Rift ( :laugh: ) I would swear this was a cover from 1995.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

90s Nostalgia is pretty big right now

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Looks like it was photoshopped in the 90s too.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

darkhand posted:

Looks like it was photoshopped in the 90s too.
Coincidentally the last era Time wasn't poo poo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Grey Fox posted:

Coincidentally the last era Time wasn't poo poo

Don't diss the one magazine smart enough to make me man of the year, pal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Don't diss the one magazine smart enough to make me man of the year, pal.

When they said "this screaming idiot on youtube" was person of the year, they meant a different one

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The White Dragon posted:

When they said "this screaming idiot on youtube" was person of the year, they meant a different one

It had my face on the cover.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Crow Jane posted:

Honestly, if you have decent thrift shops in your area, they're by far your best bet.

Estate sales. Everyone's there for hidden antiques and not the serviceable kitchenware or craft supplies.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Screaming Idiot posted:

It had my face on the cover.

The goatse edition was pretty bold, I have to admit

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FutonForensic posted:

Good work, everyone.

I think it was Giant Bomb that linked to this with the headline "Time empties a full clip into public acceptance/perception of VR"

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
Dumpy nerds who hate being outside are the only people who are ever going to buy an Oculus Rift. I applaud Time for standing by the unpopular truth.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Contrecoup posted:

Dumpy nerds who hate being outside are the only people who are ever going to buy an Oculus Rift. I applaud Time for standing by the unpopular truth.

It might take off with the over 40s who have the disposable income. When the iPhone first launched it was regarded as an "old people" phone because all the young hip people were Blackberry 4 lyfe, and it wasn't until the 3g that Apple really exploded and bypassed RIM leaving Blackberries primarily as a corporate tool and not a popular consumer product.

It really depends on ease of use. If using Oculus is harder then pressing a button and picking a file/game then there's no way in hell the non-tech crowd will even bother.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Will I be able to live out my bizarre sexual fantasies with the Oculus Rift Y/N? That's the real deal breaker.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Will I be able to live out my bizarre sexual fantasies with the Oculus Rift Y/N? That's the real deal breaker.

A hooker is probably cheaper.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phlegmish posted:

Don't worry there's already countless waifu simulators

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Phlegmish posted:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked the stories about kids who bought Oculus Rift not realizing its dev kit and being upset they can't just plug it into their Xbox and play everything in 3d. A friend of mine actually got one for development and honestly, it looks like poo poo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FutonForensic posted:

Good work, everyone.

Good article about all the ways in which that cover is lovely:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/time-magazine-cover-so-bad-i-feel-sad-and-inspired-once-79917

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

actually it's a great cover because it's got idiots everywhere talking about TIME magazine

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's meant to look poo poo and lame because that's what virtual reality is like

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Chard posted:

actually it's a great cover because it's got idiots everywhere talking about TIME magazine

time definitely knew what they were doing because shortly after that hit the racks they published this article http://time.com/3987961/virtual-reality-time-magazine-cover-memes/

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
So this just popped up on my newsfeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO0dgLfTBEo

yep, still too soon to capitalize as the first shot of your product "in action"

Handiklap has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Aug 14, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you click the X you prevent 9/11.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
i thought so too but when i did it just duplicated the towers so there were 4 of them burning

e: oh it's android so you'd have to slide it to the right to mimic the path of a third plane

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else seen these billboards around:

This is a full sized billboard, but they've also got smaller square billboards where the blue text is squeezed into that green background making it impossible to read. I've only seen the smaller ones, hopefully because this is considered a PSA and the billboard operators just stick it on any unused properties.

Your tax dollars at work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Has anyone else seen these billboards around:

This is a full sized billboard, but they've also got smaller square billboards where the blue text is squeezed into that green background making it impossible to read. I've only seen the smaller ones, hopefully because this is considered a PSA and the billboard operators just stick it on any unused properties.

Your tax dollars at work.

What in the Christ is even happening here.

I am so confused.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Using any remaining bit of their budget so that they won't have it reduced next year/quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

Using any remaining bit of their budget so that they won't have it reduced next year/quarter.

I can understand that; it's just so odd. If they were so married to the superhero theme they could have dressed an old person in a generic outfit from PartyCity, taken a cell phone pic, slapped on some Comic Sans, and it would have still looked better than this.

I sincerely hope they stuck that billboard on the commute of some politician in Washington with the power to defund the Social Security marketing department.