Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The nose is wonderfully sweet with caramel and vanilla. Really, this stuff smells fantastic. Silky in the mouth but definitely a youngish bourbon, the alcohol is raw both on the nose and palate. This is a wheat bourbon and I find myself wishing for more rye to balance the sweetness. At $24 it isn't outrageous but doesn't beat any of the stand-by's in that price range (EC, WT, etc. ) but this is meant to compete against Makers. Pricewise it wins but I'm not sure about flavor, been too many years since I've tasted Makers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
State liquor store is getting in some new stuff (for us). Any of this worth picking up?

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
Old scout maybe. Some people are reporting it was decent. The rest of those aren't worth picking up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Redemption Rye is OK at the price but if you have a rye you enjoy already I doubt it's special enough to push anything over.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Old Scout isn't bad; however, I prefer the 10 year over the 7 year.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

wormil posted:

State liquor store is getting in some new stuff (for us). Any of this worth picking up?

I'm a fan of the Russell Reserve 6 year rye. Not even a big Wild Turkey fan, but it's pretty good.

Edit: just noticed the price. Maybe for like 5 bucks less.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

Brimming with excitingly bad ideas.

wormil posted:

I just picked up a bottle of the Copper Fox rye and I really like it. It's definitely young, and an odd, acquired taste, but I think it's worth trying.

As others were saying, the Smooth Ambler Old Scout is also a solid bourbon, and the price isn't bad.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about that rebel yell?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Redemption Rye is probably the best bang for the buck LDI/MGP rye, Not sure if $30 is a good price where you're at. The last time I bought a bottle locally it was $22.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I'd avoid the Copper Fox. I had a bottle and I hated it enough to pour it down the drain.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Lot no. 40 is worth picking up, but not at 60 bucks. 40, yes.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

My bourbon guy at the ABC store had me try a bottle of Wathen's. The bottle is the same as Elmer T Lee. Flavor wise it's awesome for being a mid $30 bottle of bourbon. I'm very happy.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Bunk Rogers posted:

My bourbon guy at the ABC store had me try a bottle of Wathen's. The bottle is the same as Elmer T Lee. Flavor wise it's awesome for being a mid $30 bottle of bourbon. I'm very happy.

I always thought that Old Medley was good for the price, but Wathens never did it for me. One of these days I'll have to try another bottle.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

beanbrew posted:

I'd avoid the Copper Fox. I had a bottle and I hated it enough to pour it down the drain.

It is really weird. I think it's the wood smoked malt they use - I've never had anything else like it. Personally, I really enjoyed the weirdness, but I can see how someone else might hate it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

beanbrew posted:

Their rye or malt whiskey? Not that either are that great, I bought a bottle of their malt whiskey and keep it around. It's like a overly earthy/woody punch to the mouth that's nice once in awhile.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I haven't seen Elmer T. Lee in over a year (or more) in Norcal when my local Total Wine had about 5 bottles and I snagged 2. Meh.

Four Roses small batch for $28 seems to always still be available though, thank goodness. They have Wathen's too for $29 so I'll try it out as well.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 11, 2015

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Some images of the Nikka Whiskey Sendai distillery tour:

You can see the Japanese ladies all wear hats like Cypress Hill

Picked up this blend when exiting through the gift shop:

It's just called The Nikka 12 Years Old. Not expensive, 40 USD, iirc.
I love it. If you like Nikka From the Barrel, you'll like this.
Sweet, smooth punchy nose. Pleasant black licorice and Horlicks malty flavour.
Goes down easy, no water needed. Lingers.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

What is the name for this style of glass?

I see them pretty often on bourbon blogs, and I'd like to pick up a couple. I already have some glencairns, but more glassware options is always better.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

door Door door posted:

I see them pretty often on bourbon blogs, and I'd like to pick up a couple. I already have some glencairns, but more glassware options is always better.

typically you'd call that a snifter

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
I hope this question hasn't been asked too often, but I've only made it through about half of the thread so far.

I have a couple of friends who deserve a great gift. I know they drink scotch. I don't really drink much, so I don't know anything.

So, what is the best bottle of scotch I can get them, for about $100-150? They saved my kitten and I don't want the gift to fall flat.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

I hope this question hasn't been asked too often, but I've only made it through about half of the thread so far.

I have a couple of friends who deserve a great gift. I know they drink scotch. I don't really drink much, so I don't know anything.

So, what is the best bottle of scotch I can get them, for about $100-150? They saved my kitten and I don't want the gift to fall flat.

It really depends on what kind of scotch the drink. Do you happen to know what distilleries or regions they prefer? Scotch can be very diverse in its flavor profile, and drinkers of Spey sides really may not appreciate a highly peated islay scotch.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

door Door door posted:

If you buy some brandy snifters, get some larger ones and you can use them for both spirits and beers. You're meant to cradle the glass in an open palm, warming the drink in the process.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 12, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I strongly disagree that you are meant to warm the spirit. Room/cellar temperature is pretty ideal for smelling and tasting spirits. Besides, once you take a sip it will rapidly reach body temperature in your mouth, and then you can taste the progression of flavors as it warms. Unless you live in the frozen northern wastes and store your booze in an unheated garage you don't need to bother warming it up too much.

The primary purpose of the tulip shape of the snifter is to prevent the aroma from escaping. Sniff above the glass though – if you stick your nose right in there the alcohol vapors will burn your nostrils.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Flew from LAX to Amsterdam today, wanted to pick up some bourbon at the duty free. The selection was decidedly meh at LAX so went home empty handed. :(

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

spankmeister posted:

Flew from LAX to Amsterdam today, wanted to pick up some bourbon at the duty free. The selection was decidedly meh at LAX so went home empty handed. :(

That seems to be the case in 99% of the duty free stores i come across. Are there airports that actually have decent selections? If so, which ones??

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Kenning posted:

I strongly disagree that you are meant to warm the spirit. Room/cellar temperature is pretty ideal for smelling and tasting spirits. Besides, once you take a sip it will rapidly reach body temperature in your mouth, and then you can taste the progression of flavors as it warms. Unless you live in the frozen northern wastes and store your booze in an unheated garage you don't need to bother warming it up too much.

The primary purpose of the tulip shape of the snifter is to prevent the aroma from escaping. Sniff above the glass though – if you stick your nose right in there the alcohol vapors will burn your nostrils.

Drink it how you like, but it's worth noting:

1) It's not the warmth that brings out the flavors in spirits in your mouth. As the whiskey or brandy dilutes, lignin micelles start to break down and release esters contained within.

2) Speeding up the evaporation by using a large snifter, your body temperature and one full swirl is the entire reason such glassware exists.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

2DCAT posted:

That seems to be the case in 99% of the duty free stores i come across. Are there airports that actually have decent selections? If so, which ones??

Schiphol has a good selection but is expensive.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Unless they're big nerds, a bottle of Blue Label is a better gift than a lesser known but better scotch. That's a bit out of your price range though, so I would probably just get the oldest big name brand you can afford.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

good jovi posted:

Unless they're big nerds, a bottle of Blue Label is a better gift than a lesser known but better scotch. That's a bit out of your price range though, so I would probably just get the oldest big name brand you can afford.

I was kind of thinking of getting a highly rated Japanese whiskey because even if it's not perfect, it's a novelty. Is that stupid?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I was kind of thinking of getting a highly rated Japanese whiskey because even if it's not perfect, it's a novelty. Is that stupid?

For the spirit of a gift, no that would be something nice.

HOwever if it was possible to find out what they really liked and bought accordingly that would be even better, but if you can't get that then a nice novelty buy is good.

I can't stand much peat but we've had friends buy us some rather expensive speysides. I don't drink them but I enjoy whiskeys with friends and the ones that like peat really love when I bring that out for them so it's never a loss to get something like that.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

No, that sounds excellent.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
Thanks, folks!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah also never get blue label it's boring
If you want to get a whisky that's just expensive for non connoisseurs get like a macallan or something like that. It has the name recognition but is also somewhat interesting.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 12, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

yeah also never get blue label it's boring

I'm actually going to try some for the 1st time today

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That Works posted:

I'm actually going to try some for the 1st time today

It's nice don't get me wrong, just too smooth, too engineered, kinda bland really.

Zarkboy
Apr 11, 2006

spankmeister posted:

It's nice don't get me wrong, just too smooth, too engineered, kinda bland really.

Agreed. It's tasty enough, and certainly easy to drink, but it's kind of "flat" and easily forgettable. It would be a solid $40 blend, in my opinion.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Mr. Glass posted:

typically you'd call that a snifter

Oh yeah, duh. Just didn't think of a snifter being that small. Similar to how it's next to impossible to find cocktail coupes that aren't 8 oz.

Happy to discover that the change to a fancier bottle hasn't resulted in a price hike for OGD bonded; at least in NC.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

door Door door posted:

Happy to discover that the change to a fancier bottle hasn't resulted in a price hike for OGD bonded; at least in NC.

The BiB up here in NoVa/DC is about $2-4 more expensive. Also, I actually like the older design more =(

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

smooth jazz posted:

Some images of the Nikka Whiskey Sendai distillery tour:

Nikka Goodness

I'm jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

JW Blue trip report.

Mostly as described above. I wouldn't say "too smooth" personally, the smoothness was very nice and one of the high points of it. The mouthfeel was excellent, one of the best I've had so far. Otherwise the flavor profile was good, not amazing. I don't care much for peat so the little that was in it was sufficient, glad there was not more but the fact that there's a fair amount in there would keep me from buying it for myself when I could get Balvenie 18 or some of the nice Bowmore releases for near price range.

I really enjoyed it, I see how it would make a nice gift but ultimately isn't worth the price in the end. I wouldn't ever call it bad though.