Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Everything Willow did was a shoot. They don't call him 'the best pure striker who is also a sentient tree' for nothing.

I think you're confusing him with Mokujin Ken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

ROH fans booing Willow was a hilarious shoot, brother.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

CoolCat posted:

Didn't they chant "We Want Matt" as well? Or am I misremembering.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CoolCat posted:

Haha oh no did he actually show up as that

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Who did Willow fight in ROH?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

Who did Willow fight in ROH?

One half of J&J Security (namely Joey) and some random OMEGA jobber.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Was it Christian York or Shannon Moore?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Germansimp posted:

and some random OMEGA jobber.

Willow fought Jeff Hardy?!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Meltzer must have narced him out

quote:

The National Enquirer is reporting that due to making conflicting statements to the FBI and the lawyers for Gawker.com, who Hogan is suing, it’s possible that Hogan could serve jail time for lying under oath. They cite court transcripts as stating that Hogan told differing stories to the respective entities.

The Enquirer stated that during a July 2 hearing, a Gawker attorney told the judge that he’d learned Hulk made statements under oath during a deposition and to the FBI that are “directly at odds with one another.”

If it is determined he lied to Gawker’s attorneys, he could be charged with perjury. If he lied to the FBI, he could be charged with obstruction of justice.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What was nWo Wolfpac's Gimmick? Even cooler old dudes pretending to be bikers?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jake Soo posted:

Konnan

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jake Soo posted:

They were bowdy bowdy and rowdy rowdy

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

triplexpac posted:

Didn't they chant "We Want Matt" as well? Or am I misremembering.

Yeah they did. It was when the Matt Hardy V1 stuff was at its peak.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jake Soo posted:

Having the best entrance theme.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Jake Soo posted:

They were pretending EVEN HARDER to be gangbangers than the stock nWo. I called into WOL not long ago to talk about the Hogan deal and brought this up, Sempervieve chimed in with "Lex Luger wore FUBU!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know how Spider-Man had Venom, who was like a dark Spider-Man?

You know how Marvel then made an even darker, crazier, more violent Venom-type character called Carnage, because Venom was popular so an even more insane monstrous creature would be even more awesome and extreme?

That's basically the same thought process that led to the Wolfpac. (See also how the initial character/faction was dressed in black, so the spinoff was in red.)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Maxwell Lord posted:

You know how Spider-Man had Venom, who was like a dark Spider-Man?

You know how Marvel then made an even darker, crazier, more violent Venom-type character called Carnage, because Venom was popular so an even more insane monstrous creature would be even more awesome and extreme?

That's basically the same thought process that led to the Wolfpac. (See also how the initial character/faction was dressed in black, so the spinoff was in red.)

I saw it differently. You had the nWo. Heels. But because they were cool they start getting cheered. So they break off into a faction of "cool" Heels and a faction of "evil" Heels.

The Wolfpac was the "cool" faction. But because it was WCW, their idea of cool was 40 year olds wearing sunglasses and dressing like edgy teens.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

I saw it differently. You had the nWo. Heels. But because they were cool they start getting cheered. So they break off into a faction of "cool" Heels and a faction of "evil" Heels.

The Wolfpac was the "cool" faction. But because it was WCW, their idea of cool was 40 year olds wearing sunglasses and dressing like edgy teens.

Judging by my early teen friends' t-shirts at the time wolfpac basically was late 90s teens idea of cool

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Then Degeneration X happened and everyone realized how old the NWO were (in more than one way).

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Then Degeneration X happened and everyone realized how old the NWO were (in more than one way).

I never thought I'd see the day Triple H was outed as a goon.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

New shirt? Whatever.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
just found Raven Vs Kevin Nash from Thunder in a match to see who gives the least amount of fucks.

Raven wins since he got Nash to do stuff without actually doing anything himself

edit: this might be the only Raven Vs Nash match, I can't find any others.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 9, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

just found Raven Vs Kevin Nash from Thunder in a match to see who gives the least amount of fucks.

Raven wins since he got Nash to do stuff without actually doing anything himself

edit: this might be the only Raven Vs Nash match, I can't find any others.

The only other 2 Raven/Nash matches that I can turn up are even bigger battle royales than that one.

It's not really too surprising though...Nash and Raven were in the same stable for a while in WCW and both left for WWF before any sort of breakup happened. Nash got pushed to the moon, and Raven stayed in the low card, because he was Vince was grooming him for booking. In WCW, Raven basically ran roughshod over the midcard for a few years while Nash was a main event guy. They never got a chance to cross again in their second WWE runs for the same reason. Then came TNA.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I like that TNA is used in the same sort of way people would say "And then came the Calamity" in post apocalyptic sci-fi novels.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

According to Sullivan, the "random" WCW drug tests were always Big Bubba, Jimmy Hart, and Mike Graham (who was in the office at the time) just so they could say they randomly drug tested. Anyone who was actually on the juice big time magically never got tested. I am shocked.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

According to Sullivan, the "random" WCW drug tests were always Big Bubba, Jimmy Hart, and Mike Graham (who was in the office at the time) just so they could say they randomly drug tested. Anyone who was actually on the juice big time magically never got tested. I am shocked.

There's a chance that 1000 random tests would always select those three people.

I mean, it's not a BIG chance, but it's there.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I think it's silly to say that Big Bubba Rogers wasn't on the juice, big time for most of his career just because he was a hefty guy. Kamala and Andre are two of the only guys from the late 80s-early-mid-90s that I'm willing to believe never touched the stuff.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

I think it's silly to say that Big Bubba Rogers wasn't on the juice, big time for most of his career just because he was a hefty guy. Kamala and Andre are two of the only guys from the late 80s-early-mid-90s that I'm willing to believe never touched the stuff.

I wouldn't say he was utterly clean, but it's much easier for a thick, burly guy like Rogers to come off the juice while maintaining his imposing look than it is for a guy, like the Ultimate Warrior, whose aesthetic is "cut from marble" as that impressive definition vanishes quickly if he isn't hopped up on steroids.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

This week's retro Observer is pretty good. Meltzer was so disgusted with the Stevie Ray vs MONGO match on Nitro that the newsletter kicks off with:

Big Dave posted:

A thought for the day. It took Steve McMichael 15 years of pro football to play in something like 220 consecutive games. It took him less than ten minutes this past Monday night on Nitro in a match with Stevie Ray to mistime 220 consecutive moves.

And later, in the WCW section:

Big Dave posted:

There was a big story in the South Bend, IN Tribune regarding an eighth grader who started a satanic cult at a middle school. The boy he was being detained was actively recruiting fellow students to join his cult, which he called Raven's Flock. The boy was being held on two charges of intimidation from two students who joined the Flock but wanted out. All the recruits upon joining the flock had to sign contracts that stated they agreed to join "4 life." It was alleged that the leader threatened to kill the students when they wanted to leave. The cult is believed to have spray painted graffiti on the walls of the school and scratching the paint on some new cars at a car dealership with the words "Raven is the key scratcher."

Whenever I read one of these old newsletters I think Bret shoulda phoned it in even more than he did:

Big Dave posted:

The absolute sickest attempt at a practical joke if that's what it was, took place at the Great American Bash PPV. As Hart, Hogan, Piper and Savage were going over their match, Bischoff and Dillon came in and Bischoff called Hart away from the group and gave him a note that basically said they had just gotten word that his father Stu had just passed away. Bischoff told Hart that he didn't have to do the match, that he'd charter him a flight back home immediately and that any wrestler on the card who was close with him could leave with him as well. Apparently someone, and the police locally are currently working on finding out who, called an unlisted number at the box office of the Baltimore Arena and claimed to be Bruce Hart and gave very specific details about things that only a real insider would know which is why Bischoff and Dillon believed the story because of how specific the message was. About 10 or 15 minutes later, after Dillon had called Stu's house and found out he was alive and fine, he told Bret that Stu was fine. Bischoff felt horrible and apologized heavily and apparently when Bret saw the way the message was worded because of the obvious inside knowledge of the message he understood why Bischoff believed it although there was apparently heat from others as to Bischoff telling Hart before checking it out. Bischoff again told Hart that he didn't have to work the match, all of which was in total stark contrast to years back Vince McMahon's reaction at a PPV when the word reached him that Dean Hart had died. When Hogan, Piper and especially Savage found out about how everything went down, they were all furious, Savage in particular, based on how anyone could do something like that to someone as a practical joke and obviously to try and ruin the show. This also may partially explain why everyone in the ring looked so lost at times

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I think it was Oatgan or Thauros in the Nitro tube who pointed out that Scott Putski got a title shot on Nitro because he was a jobber who hadn't lost to Goldberg all that recently, but the three biggest stars in the company have to scramble through a 3-way WarGames to get the same opportunity

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, anyone looking at Tiny Lister and Jeep loving Swenson could tell how seriously they took drug testing.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, anyone looking at Tiny Lister and Jeep loving Swenson could tell how seriously they took drug testing.

Does "Tiny" Lister really count, though? He had a very short program with Hogan in WWF circa 1989 to cross-promote No Holds Barred, then seven years later he had an even shorter Hogan feud in WCW (to promote Friday, I guess?) and isn't so much a pro wrestler, as an actor who just happens to have a suitable look for the squared circle. As the Rock demonstrates in each new Fast & Furious sequel, there's no rule in Hollywood barring chemically enhanced muscles.

Jeep Swenson, on the other hand, is a great example of how little WCW cared about even the appearance of propriety.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ecavalli posted:

Does "Tiny" Lister really count, though? He had a very short program with Hogan in WWF circa 1989 to cross-promote No Holds Barred, then seven years later he had an even shorter Hogan feud in WCW (to promote Friday, I guess?) and isn't so much a pro wrestler, as an actor who just happens to have a suitable look for the squared circle. As the Rock demonstrates in each new Fast & Furious sequel, there's no rule in Hollywood barring chemically enhanced muscles.

Jeep Swenson, on the other hand, is a great example of how little WCW cared about even the appearance of propriety.

Jeep was in WCW for the same amount of time.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DynamiteKidd posted:

I think it was Oatgan or Thauros in the Nitro tube who pointed out that Scott Putski got a title shot on Nitro because he was a jobber who hadn't lost to Goldberg all that recently, but the three biggest stars in the company have to scramble through a 3-way WarGames to get the same opportunity

That was me, and I implied that Scott Putski must be awesome because while the biggest stars in the company were scrambling for a shot he was just given one.
But seriously yes, this is the problem when you put the world title on your super-over act whose biggest strengths are being aloof and squashing jobbers. Having him talk or team with people or wrestle other main eventers would just demystify him. This is why Taker spent so much time loving around with the Kamalas and Kamas (I swear I didn't realize how similar those names were until I typed them out) and Heidenreichs of the world. But the alternatives were to not put the world title on him or tell the whole main event scene that the new kid is gonna make em look like chumps, which wouldn't work because the inmates ran the asylum, some unofficially, some officially. (did anybody but Hogan or Piper actually have CC? Did it really matter?)And even if they did do that, then what? That's pretty much exactly what the WWE does with John Cena and we all hate it

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Judging by my early teen friends' t-shirts at the time wolfpac basically was late 90s teens idea of cool

Absolutely. I still have my nWo red and black tee, with the words 'Rules and bones are meant to be broken' printed on the back. I loved the original Wolfpac - The Outsiders and Syxx, and loved the red and black version. Now when I look at the whole thing, I can't help but laugh at Lex Luger wearing FUBU jerseys. But back then I used to think, Luger is wearing FUBU, therefore he is cool.

When Degenaration X became a thing, I saw that as the WWF trying to have an nWo of their own. At the time, the WWF had 'gang wars' and a bunch of factions, but to me, DX was their imitation of the nWo. I think the WWE's version of history has been pushed for such a long time that by now, people exaggerate the initial popularity of DX, and focus too much on the mistakes made with the nWo. I didn't see Mike Tyson as a big deal, but as an desperate attempt to gain attention. Same thing with the DX invasion of WCW. Speaking of which, people forget that in the following episode of Raw, they had a montage of HHH flying a fighter jet and bombing WCW.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Rad R. posted:

A montage of HHH flying a fighter jet and bombing WCW.

Can someone post this?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

DrWrestling69 posted:

Can someone post this?

Sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG5e3J1wnd0

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, sorry for not posting that video in the first place. It's one of the dumbest things the WWF did back in the MNW era.

Random question: Do you think late WCW, when they were left without Jericho, Raven, Giant, Eddie and everyone else who went to the WWF, is better than the current WWE product? By 'better' I simply mean more entertaining, more fun to watch, no backstage politics taken into consideration.

Personally, I really enjoy watching even those near-end Nitros. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I just hate the way modern WWE presents everything like a product I'm supposed to buy. The Divas Revolution is a fresh example of this. I think even The New Blood angle was handled better than this one.

I honestly think that if WCW had a TV deal, they'd still be doing their thing. Trends shift. We call out WCW for pushing veterans over the new guys, but McMahon on several occasions wanted to sign those veterans during the Attitude Era, like Flair and Warrior. We'll never know, but what I do know is that the WWE (WWF) was much better when it had competition.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The only reason verge-of-death WCW was any good was because they were slowly removing a lot of the lovely old guys in order to build up to a reboot which would feature the return of the lovely old guys.

And WCW treating nothing like a product you were supposed to buy is possibly the single biggest reason why they died. All they cared about were TV ratings, and they let everything from PPVs to live gates die in desperate, money-wasting attempts to pop ratings. If you want to know what WCW would look like today, just watch TNA.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rad R. posted:

Yeah, sorry for not posting that video in the first place. It's one of the dumbest things the WWF did back in the MNW era.

Random question: Do you think late WCW, when they were left without Jericho, Raven, Giant, Eddie and everyone else who went to the WWF, is better than the current WWE product? By 'better' I simply mean more entertaining, more fun to watch, no backstage politics taken into consideration.

Personally, I really enjoy watching even those near-end Nitros. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I just hate the way modern WWE presents everything like a product I'm supposed to buy. The Divas Revolution is a fresh example of this. I think even The New Blood angle was handled better than this one.

I honestly think that if WCW had a TV deal, they'd still be doing their thing. Trends shift. We call out WCW for pushing veterans over the new guys, but McMahon on several occasions wanted to sign those veterans during the Attitude Era, like Flair and Warrior. We'll never know, but what I do know is that the WWE (WWF) was much better when it had competition.

WCW was losing several hundred thousand dollars per week at the end, even if they kept their TV deal the chances of survival were slim even with a TV deal.

WCW in 1999 and 2000 is so much worse than WWE now. Even if you think Raw is trash you'd have a really hard time claiming it is better than the summer 99 Nitros where Savage and Nash are trying to dump poop on each other and there are long video packages dedicated to Eric Bischoff being a swell guy. It's awful, to me worse than the Russo stuff in 2000. But beyond the free TV every PPV is absolutely terrible from May of 99 through February of 2001. Quality is rarely objective but those WCW PPVs are so close to objectively bad. I have seen maybe 3 people in the last 15 years try to argue even one or two was good. WWE on the other hand does produce several good or great PPVs each year.