Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

I want to spend more time in the Fallout 3 intro, where you spend most of it as a small child that can't actually do anything..........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the courier probably doesn't remember the divide because he never actually entered the town proper, just the ncr outpost where they dropped poo poo off on occasion. it was just a hole in the wall that suddenly became impossible to pass at some point and they didn't really think much of it afterwards.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Maybe the reason no-one remembers who the courier was is that they were so forgettable? It apparently even took psychopathy for the game's nemesis to take an interest.

I'm not really sure game-writing culture is mature enough yet to really resolve issues of mental health responsibly. This seems like taking on too much.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Roobanguy posted:

the courier probably doesn't remember the divide because he never actually entered the town proper, just the ncr outpost where they dropped poo poo off on occasion. it was just a hole in the wall that suddenly became impossible to pass at some point and they didn't really think much of it afterwards.

I kinda figured it was just one out of a shitload of delivery jobs they did in their careers up to that point and they wouldn't necessarily remember every single one. There's probably no explicit answer.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Alain Post posted:

I kinda figured it was just one out of a shitload of delivery jobs they did in their careers up to that point and they wouldn't necessarily remember every single one. There's probably no explicit answer.

probably.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Lets just get back to what we know works: find that darned water chip!

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Alain Post posted:

The Courier does not have amnesia.

"In Old World Blues, the Courier is revealed to have a special brain condition due to being shot in the head in just the right spot and surviving."

I don't remember that part of OWB.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Flaky posted:

Maybe the reason no-one remembers who the courier was is that they were so forgettable? They were so boring it took psychopathy for the game's nemesis to take an interest.

I'm not really sure game-writing culture is mature enough yet to really resolve issues of mental health responsibly. This seems like taking on too much.

Ulysses: [eyes wide with shock] This name on the list of couriers... is this genuine?
Johnston Nash: Yeap... real curious feller, that one... real quiet, with a face kinda like a patater, not to mention the funny name... so, you takin' the job or not?
Ulysses: [eyes glazed over, blank expression on face] No... let "Courier Six" carry the package... [He turns to leave]

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i think one of the brain jars tells you, that you having a shot up brain confused the lobotobot and it ended up removing the brain instead of slicing it up. but its been a long time since i played owb so i might be misremembering.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

That's from getting shot in the head at the beginning of the game. You learn about it from talking to Dr. Mobius and also your brain I think. It's not amnesia, it's just the pseudo-scientific excuse for why you survived the lobotomy with your faculties intact.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If Avellone did OWB, it's probably some silly meta poo poo about how the courier acts like a player character, but I'd have to look at the actual dialogue again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HalfHazard posted:

I want to spend more time in the Fallout 3 intro, where you spend most of it as a small child that can't actually do anything..........

Well, you're not entirely helpless.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Haha, still on the wiki page and holy crap the writing is hilariously bad for some of this crap.

quote:

"The Courier, fair and even-handed in his/her dealings throughout the Wasteland, was honored by the NCR for his/her support of the military at Hoover Dam. He/she was presented with the Golden Branch, the highest civilian decoration given by the Republic." -- Good karma, NCR victory.

"Though the Courier's agenda was debated by many, he/she was honored by NCR for his/her support of the military at Hoover Dam. He/she was presented with the Golden Branch, the highest civilian decoration given by the Republic." -- Neutral karma, NCR victory.

"With brutal methods that few in NCR would approve of, it was the Courier who secured NCR's victory at Hoover Dam. Despite his/her extreme actions, he/she was awarded with the Golden Branch, the highest civilian decoration given by the Republic." -- Bad karma, NCR victory.

"You rule/look kind of familiar/suck! Here's the highest honor we can bestow upon you."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Geez, it's almost like the NCR are awarding the Courier based on their support in the war, and not based on their personal moral alignment.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

JackBadass posted:

Haha, still on the wiki page and holy crap the writing is hilariously bad for some of this crap.

"You rule/look kind of familiar/suck! Here's the highest honor we can bestow upon you."

:cripes:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

JackBadass posted:

hm yes....

"It was not until the end of this long road that the Lone Wanderer was faced with that greatest of virtues – sacrifice, but the child refused to follow the father's selfless example, instead, allowing a true hero to venture into irradiated control chamber of project purity.Icon sound trigger" -- Send Sergeant RL-3 into the control room. Can only be done with Broken Steel installed.

"It was not until the end of this long road that the Lone Wanderer was faced with that greatest of virtues – sacrifice, but the child refused to follow the father's selfless example, instead, allowing a true hero to venture into irradiated control chamber of project purity.Icon sound trigger" -- Send Charon into the control room. Same as above.

"It was not until the end of this long road that the Lone Wanderer was faced with that greatest of virtues – sacrifice, but the child refused to follow the father's selfless example, instead, allowing a true hero to venture into irradiated control chamber of project purity.Icon sound trigger" -- Send Fawkes into the control room. Same as above.

or

"The Capital Wasteland proved a cruel inhospitable place, but the Lone Wanderer refused to surrender to the vices that had claimed so many others. The values passed on from father to child – selflessness, compassion, honor – guided this noble soul through countless trials and triumphs." -- Good Karma

"The Capital Wasteland proved a cruel inhospitable place, and the Lone Wanderer ultimately surrendered to the vices that had claimed so many others – selfishness, greed, cruelty. These were the values that guided a lost soul through countless trials and triumphs." -- Bad Karma

"The Capital Wasteland proved a cruel and inhospitable place." -- Neutral Karma

i like the neutral karma cause they're just like gently caress it.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
some of the FO3 ending narrations are completely incoherent for options like sacrificing yourself to poison Project Purity at low karma, where it's like, bouncing between how you sacrificed yourself which was heroic, but also you killed everyone which is bad

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Alain Post posted:

Geez, it's almost like the NCR are awarding the Courier based on their support in the war, and not based on their personal moral alignment.

"You wiped out countless NCR soldiers, including killing everyone in Camp Forlorn Hope and most of the ranger stations, but we can ignore that and give you the medal of honor because you helped us kill those five legion soldiers at the epic battle of the dam."

Someone get these writers a pulitzer.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

except that if you killed everyone at forlorn hope or the ranger stations you can't do the ncr quests anymore???

man its like karma and reputation are two separate things.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Roobanguy posted:

except that if you killed everyone at forlorn hope or the ranger stations you can't do the ncr quests anymore????

Well, you can if you do it before reaching the strip, but playing a character predisposed to murdering NCR and then switching to their side after reaching the Strip is kind of a weird choice anyway.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

"The Capital Wasteland proved a cruel and inhospitable place." -- Neutral Karma

i like the neutral karma cause they're just like gently caress it.

They might as well have just said "GAME OVER! PLAY AGAIN?".

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Roobanguy posted:

except that if you killed everyone at forlorn hope or the ranger stations you can't do the ncr quests anymore???

man its like karma and reputation are two separate things.

Yes I could! I helped Ranger Jackson kill some piss easy ants, all is forgiven :colbert:

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Alain Post posted:

Well, you can if you do it before reaching the strip, but playing a character predisposed to murdering NCR and then switching to their side after reaching the Strip is kind of a weird choice anyway.

I did a run where my guy hated the NCR because of its bureaucracy and fascist expansionist etc etc ways but softened later on when he decided that the regular people were separate from the awful government, and ended with "Wild Child" rep by doing mostly positive quests for the NCR. Didn't side with NCR in the end, went with House, but it didn't seem like such a stretch for a weakened and over-stressed army to take whatever help it could get when it could get it, especially from someone almost dying from Rangers stomping my rear end in a top hat in... that was a pretty big motivating factor.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

And NO I did NOT kill any freakin ants for that stupid idiot Ranger Jackson!!!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Well you missed out, it was very relaxing

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

HalfHazard posted:

"The Courier, fair and even-handed in his/her dealings throughout the Wasteland, was honored by the NCR for his/her support of the military at Hoover Dam. He/she was presented with the Golden Branch, the highest civilian decoration given by the Republic. Shortly after, everyone in the wasteland was killed by giant ants" -- Good karma, NCR victory, did not kill ants for Ranger Jackson.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

JackBadass posted:

"The Courier, fair and even-handed in his/her dealings throughout the Wasteland, was honored by the NCR for his/her support of the military at Hoover Dam. He/she was presented with the Golden Branch, the highest civilian decoration given by the Republic. Shortly after, everyone in the wasteland was killed by giant ants" -- Good karma, NCR victory, did not kill ants for Ranger Jackson.

I upgrade all the ranger stations, kill everyone in Cottonwood Cove, foil the monorail bomb plot, nuke the Legion's supply lines, and best the Legate in single combat, and THIS is the ending I get?! THIS IS FUCKIN BULLSHIT *chucks computer out the window*

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

HalfHazard posted:

I upgrade all the ranger stations, kill everyone in Cottonwood Cove, foil the monorail bomb plot, nuke the Legion's supply lines, and best the Legate in single combat, and THIS is the ending I get?! THIS IS FUCKIN BULLSHIT *chucks computer out the window*

it's about the journey

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Poor Ranger Jackson, thought of ants and died.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JackBadass posted:

You kind of did, though. Hell, the first [TIME FRAME REMOVED TO PREVENT CONFUSION] of the game you spend chasing a character that you had a bad relationship with.

So many playthroughs and I've never been able to find Lance :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Alain Post posted:

The Courier does not have amnesia.

If the Courier doesn't have amnesia then how is he able to tell Doc Mitchell his name and medical history? Check and mate.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

2house2fly posted:

If the Courier doesn't have amnesia then how is he able to tell Doc Mitchell his name and medical history? Check and mate.

Doc Mitchell is a figment of his imagination brought on from delirium after being shot in the kisser by Joey.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 9, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

OK that checks out

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Crabtree posted:

poo poo not going as they intended and content getting scrapped?
Pretty much all games have had ideas and content scrapped or re-purposed during their development. Nothing special about it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I never really liked the karma endings for Fallout 3.

lyons: "Bless you sir for sacrificing yourself by going into the irradiated chamber."

:yarr: "Bitch what you talking about I've got 2 radiation immune followers, why can't I send one of those in!?

lyons "...such a hero..."

:yarr: "...gently caress you I'm in a sequel!"

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

JackBadass posted:

Then what is your complaint? You cite New Vegas as being better in this regard when it does the same things, just with better dialog.

You're the most annoying poster in this thread by a loving mile. Half the poo poo you post doesn't even make sense yet you act like all of it is matter of fact. Stop being so confrontational about a stupid loving video game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Meridian posted:

I like both games and would be happy to talk about the merits of both, but I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo about making a case for either one being DA BEST. .

Haha is this your first day on the forum

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HalfHazard posted:

Five giant ants wouldn't even pose a problem for a single caravaneer with a 10mm pistol (I know because I've literally seen them run off a path to go murder some giant ants with no problem), so it's pretty funny that five giant ants give so much trouble to both an entire trained military barracks and a group of crazy survivalists living in a military hangar who have tons of weapons and ammunition.

"Oh please go down and take care of the half-dozen ants in our generator room! Scores of people have died down there!" Courier goes down and kills everything in 10 bullets or less, singlehandedly.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Roobanguy posted:

i wish bitter drink wasn't locked behind lonesome road because that poo poo was super useful for a dude with high survival.
It's not, Legion dudes above recruit rank carry it in Vanilla.

King Vidiot posted:

Five giant ants wouldn't even pose a problem for a single caravaneer with a 10mm pistol (I know because I've literally seen them run off a path to go murder some giant ants with no problem), so it's pretty funny that five giant ants give so much trouble to both an entire trained military barracks and a group of crazy survivalists living in a military hangar who have tons of weapons and ammunition.

"Oh please go down and take care of the half-dozen ants in our generator room! Scores of people have died down there!" Courier goes down and kills everything in 10 bullets or less, singlehandedly.
The problem was that they ate enough gunpowder to explode like a grenade bouquet if they were hit with explosives or energy weapons. I kinda wish they appeared in the wild, walking grenade kites are always a welcome surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Father Wendigo posted:

It's not, Legion dudes above recruit rank carry it in Vanilla.

The problem was that they ate enough gunpowder to explode like a grenade bouquet if they were hit with explosives or energy weapons. I kinda wish they appeared in the wild, walking grenade kites are always a welcome surprise.
You could add the explosion script (removing the quest fail flag) to the regular garden variety ants

• Locked thread