Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Five Night fan videos own for no other reason than the creator telling the guy he's wrong on almost everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
If you're looking for a game that does the 999 style story but better, consider checking out No One Has To Die. It's free and web based and you can do it in an hour. It has a lot of the themes and tropes of 999, but executes in a non-annoying way. Also it isn't anime.

http://die.clay.io/game/die

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ulta posted:

If you're looking for a game that does the 999 style story but better, consider checking out No One Has To Die. It's free and web based and you can do it in an hour. It has a lot of the themes and tropes of 999, but executes in a non-annoying way. Also it isn't anime.

Everything is anime. Everything. There is no escape.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Everything is anime. Everything. There is no escape.

they_live_anime.gif

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

"LOL JAPAN!?"

You're worrying more about this than you need to be. I Accept You.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tae posted:

Five Night fan videos own for no other reason than the creator telling the guy he's wrong on almost everything.

Which caused no end of hurt feelings.

Ulta posted:

This is pretty neat as it is literally the NVL style of visual novels boiled down to its purest essence.

As an aside everyone should play Ghost Trick because Ghost Trick owns.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Woffle posted:

I don't remember this but if I said it, I wish I hadn't.

It was Kole, in I think the Fist of the North Star Abject Suffering, and he speculated that maybe Japanese writing / the Japanese sense of humor in general appealed unduly to people with autism

HMS Boromir posted:

There's a kernel of racism in a lot of this stuff I'm sure but you've watched a heckin lot of anime so I'm not entirely clear on what point you're trying to make here. Do you disagree with the idea that there's a few very specific kinds of bad writing going around in Japanese media (that ends up as even more of a broken record in English when lovely localizers get their hands on it) or is this just a reaction to the uncomfortable "oh Japan!" way people tend to react to that bad writing?

I'm with you on that second one, just wanted to make sure that's what you mean.

It's both. There is a distinctive Japanese narrative voice / sense of humor / set of tropes / etc, and certain kinds of bad writing corresponding to those, but the sheer level of vitriol and dislike some people have for it is far out of proportion to any given piece of media actually being badly written. And then the speed with which people jump to racist, pseudo-sociological explanations for that narrative voice / sense of humor / tropes / etc, and why they're all objectively terrible

I mean you don't have to like anime to not be a racist, but you look at the sort of person who seems physically incapable of not launching into a whiny rant about how anime is terrible every time it gets mentioned in any way, and IMO racism/bigotry/whatever you want to call it is a big part of the motivation

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 8, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Goons can launch into an overly whiny rant about absolutely anything

al-azad
May 28, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

It was Kole, in I think the Fist of the North Star Abject Suffering, and he speculated that maybe Japanese writing / the Japanese sense of humor in general appealed unduly to people with autism

I remember this episode really bothering me regarding the Adventure Time/Fist of the North Star comparison. Kole says that they're similar in that their target audience is young males but it's made by and for adults, but Adventure Time lacks a certain crassness and he doesn't see AT as a vehicle for merchandising. Then Gary says AT's merchandising isn't part of the actual product then in the same breath brings up Card Wars which not only has a paid app but has a physical trading card game.

Adventure Time is one of the most heavily marketed cartoons on children's television. It might be more prolific than Nickelodeon's current TMNT show which has a long history of being a toy commercial. There's a comic book line with dozens of spin offs, three video games have come out in three years, clothing, toys, board games and card games, mobile apps, I can't keep up. But it's invisible to you because it's familiar. You can focus on the show and ignore the fact that Cartoon Network struck gold.

Japanese animation casts an incredibly wide net from young to old which is why something like Fist or Dragon Ball can appear "crass" or "condescending." Adventure Time represents the first of its kind, a breakaway from the traditional Western cartoon that targets the 7-10yo boy audience and is instead embracing its TV-PG rating to rope in older viewers. So kids dig the slapstick while adults dig the craft. But anime has been doing this poo poo since Tezuka, we're just now seeing it in America.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

you look at the sort of person who seems physically incapable of not launching into a whiny rant about how anime is terrible every time it gets mentioned in any way, and IMO racism/bigotry/whatever you want to call it is a big part of the motivation

icantfindaname posted:

pseudo-sociological explanations

lol

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Woffle posted:

Here's a real good overview. http://kotaku.com/plagiarism-accusations-shake-up-dark-souls-community-1716528025

Vaati's response: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s281/sh/d8d3bffc-3866-46d5-924c-d3636f59644d/7adb7cc52beb8489

My take: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1smvru1

Essentially, some people out there feel like he just aggregates content and outright steals a lot of blocking for his videos, along with some other weaker claims. We never did a full on debrief on the show because it'd mostly died down by the time we recorded.

Having spent waaaaay too long in academia, this is all pretty silly to me. It's like someone claiming "Your published article on King Lear used some of the same quotes as mine!" When tons of people are working from the same primary source, of course some of their analyses are going to overlap.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

icantfindaname posted:

Well that's terrible on two entirely different levels.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

icantfindaname posted:

It's both. There is a distinctive Japanese narrative voice / sense of humor / set of tropes / etc, and certain kinds of bad writing corresponding to those, but the sheer level of vitriol and dislike some people have for it is far out of proportion to any given piece of media actually being badly written. And then the speed with which people jump to racist, pseudo-sociological explanations for that narrative voice / sense of humor / tropes / etc, and why they're all objectively terrible

I mean you don't have to like anime to not be a racist, but you look at the sort of person who seems physically incapable of not launching into a whiny rant about how anime is terrible every time it gets mentioned in any way, and IMO racism/bigotry/whatever you want to call it is a big part of the motivation
Naw, the opposite is true to a point though, in that Western autists/spergs have this weird sort of magical thinking about how Asia must be with everyone bowing and having proper modifiers to indicate how close a relationship you have with someone, so you can treat conversation like some kind of mathematical formula (without realizing that hey, if you can't break the math behind the social norms where you live already, you probably won't magically be better somewhere else..) Also their women never talk back except in cartoons, so they're really just 3-d body pillows that can make you some ramen.

It's definitely some kind of racist privilege thing, maybe coupled with that adolescent desire to be seen as the underdog, who beats the odds and finds that magical land where everyone thinks they're a special and unique snowflake (then they find out that means you just end up on an unending series of asian comedy/game-shows in embarrassing costumes and situations.)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 9, 2015

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I think an important video to add to the Dark Souls controversy is the response from Redgrave, the guy who wrote The Paleblood Hunt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWvj4rk8UI

It's in stark contrast to Aegon's original video (a clear attempt at character assassination) and Vaati's response in that it's just a dude with no stake in any sort of supposed video content competition commenting on how he feels about what could seem to be his well-thought out writings being used without crediting him, consciously or not. It's a 30 minute video of a dude in his dirty bedroom talking into a camera so I can't fault anyone for not watching it, and the view count certainly attests that barely anyone has. But I feel like it's an important part of the drama that's quickly being forgotten because, well, who really cares? It interests me because in the early 2000s I was a part of the Half-Life modding scene and saw a lot of my models ported between mods and included in mod packs, and while there's no direct 1:1 comparison between 3d models and the more indistinct sea of lore supposition, I was never bothered by any of it because I was always credited, albeit with a handle and e-mail I stopped using over a decade ago. And that was long before Patreon.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Well that's terrible on two entirely different levels.
Not entirely. Many aspects of autism line up quite comfortably with a colonialist mindset and outlook, especially when the "autist" is someone coming from a position of inherent privilege. Being able to treat "different" people like subhumans allows one to not deign to worry about social niceties and accidental physical contact, etc.

And Japanese writing outside of manga and poo poo, doesn't really suffer from the same issues as anime and J-games do. They are a fairly young nation when it comes to fiction writing though.. IIRC, the guy who wrote "In A Grove" (Rashomon) killed himself, because Japanese society did not approve of him writing fiction.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 9, 2015

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I feel like I should get out in front of this, because I don't think it's a fair characterization. I went back and listened to the episode, because I never would have said something that monstrous.

What I said was that I had been reading that children's cartoons with simple character designs and outsized emotional reactions appealed to people on the autistic spectrum. What I didn't mention at the time was that I had also been, at my day job, working with an organization that helps families affected by autism. This was something I learned from the professionals I worked with.

I used several cartoons in that example, mostly American characters like SpongeBob SquarePants. I said nothing about the humor or writing style of an entire nation being catered to people with a particular condition. I mentioned it solely as an observation on the lasting appeal of a certain kind of design, which is common across all kinds of children's entertainment.

I know it's fun to call people names on the internet because they don't like the same cartoons you do, but pease be mindful that you're firing with live ammo when you make those kinds of accusations. I stopped myself from responding earlier because I didn't want to come across as defensive, but this has the look of something that could get out of hand.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Song For The Deaf posted:

I feel like I should get out in front of this, because I don't think it's a fair characterization. I went back and listened to the episode, because I never would have said something that monstrous.

What I said was that I had been reading that children's cartoons with simple character designs and outsized emotional reactions appealed to people on the autistic spectrum. What I didn't mention at the time was that I had also been, at my day job, working with an organization that helps families affected by autism. This was something I learned from the professionals I worked with.

I used several cartoons in that example, mostly American characters like SpongeBob SquarePants. I said nothing about the humor or writing style of an entire nation being catered to people with a particular condition. I mentioned it solely as an observation on the lasting appeal of a certain kind of design, which is common across all kinds of children's entertainment.

I know it's fun to call people names on the internet because they don't like the same cartoons you do, but pease be mindful that you're firing with live ammo when you make those kinds of accusations. I stopped myself from responding earlier because I didn't want to come across as defensive, but this has the look of something that could get out of hand.

Yeah that's fair. I don't think you're a bad person or a bigot or anything, and you seem like a nice guy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

coyo7e posted:

Not entirely. Many aspects of autism line up quite comfortably with a colonialist mindset and outlook, especially when the "autist" is someone coming from a position of inherent privilege. Being able to treat "different" people like subhumans allows one to not deign to worry about social niceties and accidental physical contact, etc.

And Japanese writing outside of manga and poo poo, doesn't really suffer from the same issues as anime and J-games do. They are a fairly young nation when it comes to fiction writing though.. IIRC, the guy who wrote "In A Grove" (Rashomon) killed himself, because Japanese society did not approve of him writing fiction.

This on the other hand, is just eeehhhhhhhh.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

This on the other hand, is just eeehhhhhhhh.
I'm sorry that you're not well-read in Japanese fiction. It's really quite good, and very approachable. Many of the sci-fi offerings read very much like a manga or movie though, Battle Royale being a prime example.

Akutagawa is really a must read for anyone who wants to have a well-rounded bookshelf though. He was a firm believer in the poetry of a work being as much or more important than the trappings of story and setting.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

This thread got annoying while I was at work. What Kole actually said and what icantfindaname came away with are worlds apart. This is how dumb rumors get started.

The frustrating thing is I don't think we're all disagreeing that much. All of us seem to agree:

* There are some stylistic things that are more prevailent in some cultures more than others...
* It's OK to like or dislike those elements...
* It's not OK to say that ALL of that culture's art is lousy with those elements...

Murderist posted:

Words about original Paleblood Hunt guy...

Thank you. I meant to include him but didn't have the link handy. I still don't think Vaati did anything wrong but this guy deserves to express his feelings on it. I very nearly shut him off after an early gamergate ethics dig against that Kotaku article but kept with it. It's worth watching.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Woffle posted:

This thread got annoying while I was at work. What Kole actually said and what icantfindaname came away with are worlds apart. This is how dumb rumors get started.

I think the issue is that icantfindaname picked a weird hill to die on, since you guys are basically the most reasonable people on the internet and there are way worse offenders in this regard. Might be that they think they'll actually get through to someone they perceive as being subtly bigoted instead of someone hooting and hollering about how Japan is the worst, but I don't want to put words in their mouth.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So uh to shift to a different subject, if I wanted to get into the 999 series would you guys suggest playing through the first or would WOFF's plot summary be enough that I can jump directly into the superior sequel?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Virtue's Last Reward is pretty stand-aloney. Like basically Alien to AlienS. It helps and there's reference points, but you can play it with a basic wiki of 999 and not miss much.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you're strapped for time you can probably just start VLR. There's an LP of 999 that you could speed read if you want to make sure you didn't miss any details, all you miss out on is solving the puzzles yourself.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

So uh to shift to a different subject, if I wanted to get into the 999 series would you guys suggest playing through the first or would WOFF's plot summary be enough that I can jump directly into the superior sequel?

999 is a straight novel. You can read an LP, put on your favorite music, and more or less get the same experience. VLR relies more heavily on visuals and interaction.

I'd still play/read it. Neat things happen it's just that the game forces you through them multiple times to get its coveted ending.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

I elaborate on this in the episode but since you're debating listening to the episode versus playing the game: I don't recommend anyone play 999. Playing 999 made me not want to play VLR for a long, long time. I may eventually do the sequel but I really, really hate 999. Your mileage may vary though. It's dirt cheap. Play the first couple hours and see if you like the moment to moment writing. If so, you'll like the game because that's how you spend most of your time. If not, I'd say skip it. We do a good job hitting the high points, I think.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Kole mentioned something about inevitably having to do let's plays even though he isn't too fond of them, because that's where internet content about videogames is going. How serious you were about that pressure notwithstanding, is there something in particular you don't like about the let's play format? Is it just the youtube superstar side of it or is it something else?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I've enjoyed the best of the LP's that bubble up to me, and I've liked the streams I've watched that had good commentary or chat interaction. My indifference comes from the fact that I don't really have a place for Let's Plays to go in my life. I can listen to tens of hours of podcasts a week because they fit nicely into the background of other tasks. Any kind of video draws to much of my attention. I'd rather watch a tightly edited video essay (like the best Dark Souls lore stuff) for reasons that are mostly logistical.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Supposedly Best Buy is having a special deal starting today, with an XBONE and a 40 inch Samsung smart TV for 500 bucks. That's...that's a really good deal, and I am super tempted to do it to get my mom an HDTV and myself an XBONE. I've kinda kicked around the idea that if I could get an XBONE for really cheap I'd make it a Rare Replay machine, because I like a bunch of the games in that, and anything else I'd have access to would be a bonus. Plus my friend sold me his entire 360 collection when he moved, and there's so many good games I want to play in there, with the backwards compatibility hopefully coming, that it's tempting on its own.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly LP is like any other kind of performance art. There's a skillset related to the actual technical aspects of the performance (i.e. musicianship, in this case skill and knowledge about the game) and a skillset related to engaging and working an audience and dealing with the pressure of having one.

That form is nascent and you can tell nobody agrees on who the masters are or even what the criteria for judging them should be yet. It's like watching 17th-century stand-up comedians or something.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Zombies' Downfall posted:

That form is nascent and you can tell nobody agrees on who the masters are or even what the criteria for judging them should be yet. It's like watching 17th-century stand-up comedians or something.

What's the deal...with the food on these new fangled steam trains?!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I don't normally post about new Bonfireside Chats here, but Danielle Riendeau joined us this week, and it was a great time.

http://duckfeed.tv/bonfiresidechat/71

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Kole, you should work some video content into Hex Crank. Some running commentary over you playing the more interesting games would be fun. Same for Gary and Infinity Engineers. Nothing comprehensive but a few recorded sessions to see your reactions and process for playing these types of games would be a nice companion to the written stuff.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Cool stuff, can't wait to listen to the new BSC! Also really glad spoilers are fair game now, because I love the Lovecraft stuff in bloodborne. Victorian horror is kinda meh.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't normally post about new Bonfireside Chats here, but Danielle Riendeau joined us this week, and it was a great time.

Sorry if this is mentioned in the episode, but what areas are up next for BSC and how long do I have to submit a response? I just finished Bloodborne and I'm in the middle of getting caught up with BSC.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Up next is a couple of episodes about Scholar of the First Sin. Our next Bloodborne episode will cover Forsaken Castle Cainhurst. You can send in your response for that any time in mid-to-late August.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Woffle posted:

You did notice that guy got probated for doing a whole Hiroshima-themed Japanese-gimmick post-spree, right? ;)

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Great episode. If you miss this one you'll be missing out on this as well:

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer
While cleaning out the top drawer in my toolbox at work, I came across an iPod that went missing back in late 2011. I plugged it in and took a look at what was on it, I was happy to find the first six episodes of WOFF. I've been working my way through them and other than sounding like you guys are recording them at the bottom of the ocean, it's great stuff. I didn't realize how much the new equipment has changed your sound over the years but it was a great trip in to the early days of one of my favourite podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

coyo7e posted:

You did notice that guy got probated for doing a whole Hiroshima-themed Japanese-gimmick post-spree, right? ;)

...good.

Regarding more video content for Infinity Engineers, I'd love to but it all comes down to time. I'm finishing up this term at school this week and I'm hoping to at least bring the blog back (Arcanum, baby!). If it proves sustainable, video content is on the horizon. I'm facing down graduation soon so that either means I get a real time job and have to cut back on projects or I double down on making projects+part time job work. If it's the latter, expect more poo poo from me. I hope it is the later.

Also, thanks A Long Way Down!

• Locked thread