Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
A New Dawn

We fired Borticus into the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Siets posted:

Is there such a thing as 5 minute YouTube videos or concise and brief build guides for this game? I swear to god every single video for this game is a 45 minute snoozefest wherein some nerd rambles where no man has rambled before while slowly paging through menu after menu.

I just want to know how I should be building my tactical captain as I level up. :mad:

We have a chat channel in game that you can ask questions in as well. You need to post your @handle and we can get you in there right away. You can right click your character portrait on any ground map to get this if you don't remember it. It'll be in a charactername@handle format. It'll be different from the name you use to login.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lagomorphic posted:

We have a chat channel in game that you can ask questions in as well. You need to post your @handle and we can get you in there right away. You can right click your character portrait on any ground map to get this if you don't remember it. It'll be in a charactername@handle format. It'll be different from the name you use to login.

I think I am "Siets@siets86"

(Imaginative, I know. :haw:)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Goat Pillager posted:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9488023

Season 11: A New Dawn, over a radioactive wasteland of autism and poor design choices.
So... a doff system but with $30 ships instead of doffs, some crappy story missions, and the new voice cast highlight is mirror Leeta.

... :geno: Well it could be alright but I can't imagine it turning the game around, especially if the iconian arc ends with as big a wet fart as everyone is expecting.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
They're going to include a reskin of exploration clusters, just you wait and see.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Siets posted:

I think I am "Siets@siets86"

(Imaginative, I know. :haw:)

You're invited to the channel now. Just type "/channel_join TheNextGooneration" into the chat box next time you log in.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

So... a doff system but with $30 ships instead of doffs, some crappy story missions, and the new voice cast highlight is mirror Leeta.

... :geno: Well it could be alright but I can't imagine it turning the game around, especially if the iconian arc ends with as big a wet fart as everyone is expecting.
Wow. $30 ships as doffs. Does anyone remember when this was a casual game which was easy for new players to get into?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Why is everyone assuming the worst before they've released any details? I mean, I doubt you need to pay 10x$30, they've already done us the courtesy of offering packs of three ship variants for the bargain price of $60. That's a 33% savings!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
There will probably be some kind of gear check too, so you will need to spend dil on upgrading Every. One.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mondian posted:

Why is everyone assuming the worst before they've released any details? I mean, I doubt you need to pay 10x$30, they've already done us the courtesy of offering packs of three ship variants for the bargain price of $60. That's a 33% savings!
You're right. And those $120 mega packs are incredibly alt-friendly.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So the big finale to the Iconian War is about 4-5 weeks out and S11 'New Dawn' looks like it definitely will include a redo of Genesis mission system. Two new queues incoming: one space one ground, both on DS9 and a new space battlezone in the Badlands. Apparently the mirror universe will make another appearance as the antagonists with Mirror Leeta as the Fleet Admiral leading the Terran Empire forces attacking the prime universe. Lol, you can't make this poo poo up.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

If it's DS9 themed that certainly explains why they've sat of the t6 Defiant this long.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh, that would make sense. I can't imagine it wouldn't come with a Cardassian arc revamp too, considering how absolutely lovely that is and how it probably ties into the upcoming content. Hopefully it'll be an improvement.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

I can't imagine it wouldn't come with a Cardassian arc revamp too

That's what the art lead said until geko told him to shutup soooooo....

E: Despite what the S11 trailer looks like, I was told a Genesis revamp was definitely not part of it. Pretty misleading imo, but it is what it is.

Mondian fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 8, 2015

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Well there is going to be a Badlands Warzone and Mirror Universe themed Queues around and on DS9. I think (and hope) a DS9 interior Revamp is on the way.
Taco said a long time ago that he had been looking at the actual set plans for DS9 they used in the show.

According to Al at the STO panel the Mirror Universe also went through an Iconian war, and Mirror Leeta is a Fleet Admiral.

Panel:

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aJVSTDEwNDA2NzUxfDU2MzI1MzE2xppsMQV8C1YR6uICG7OXdM0aa0DbAJudEffkbmqt6go=

DS9 interior has been started but won't be ready for Season 11.

DS9 Mission arc revamp has been confirmed.

Every ship in the game has its own stats for the Admiralty system, there are even differences between T5 and T5U ships.

They have quality like DOFFs do.

They may release special "Foil" ships like the Enterprise to use in missions.

When ships come back from missions they will have a 'cool down' the higher quality the ship the longer it takes. You can shorten it with Dilithium.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 8, 2015

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

I thought the Cardassian/Dominion story arc was one of the better ones they ever did - it had tons of unique missions (the one where you EVA round a crashed warbird on DS9s outer hull is pretty memorable), fairly decent voice acting (except for that vorta bitch that says "THE DOMINION!!!!!1" all the time, a lot of actual content, cutscenes...

Then again, better is a relative term when talking about this game - and the current interior for DS9 sucks, especially the textures and the scaling.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

DarkMalfunction posted:

I thought the Cardassian/Dominion story arc was one of the better ones they ever did - it had tons of unique missions (the one where you EVA round a crashed warbird on DS9s outer hull is pretty memorable), fairly decent voice acting (except for that vorta bitch that says "THE DOMINION!!!!!1" all the time, a lot of actual content, cutscenes...

Then again, better is a relative term when talking about this game - and the current interior for DS9 sucks, especially the textures and the scaling.

That's not the Cardassian arc. That's the Featured Series bit. The Cardassian arc is all the stuff before that.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

kafziel posted:

That's not the Cardassian arc. That's the Featured Series bit. The Cardassian arc is all the stuff before that.

That makes more sense. I did try looking it up on the STO wiki, but that's still as poo poo as it always was, so

E: Is the Cardassian arc where you meet Riker's duplicate's son? God, that was poo poo.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

DarkMalfunction posted:

E: Is the Cardassian arc where you meet Riker's duplicate's son? God, that was poo poo.

Yes to both.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the DS9 missions before the 2800 Dominion stuff are the only remaining unaltered content from release. And it really, really shows.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

DarkMalfunction posted:

That makes more sense. I did try looking it up on the STO wiki, but that's still as poo poo as it always was, so

Yeah. And the Fire Caves. And the mirror orb. And that poo poo.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Well, at least they fixed the Fire Caves pathing from release. Nothing quite like watching your whole away team march off the walkway directly into a fiery grave.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

The Fire Caves one had Dukat's (other) Half-Bajoran daughter trying to resurrect him right?

I may have expressed this before, but I'd like a mission where you encounter the mirror version of yourself.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Last time I played through the Cardassian arc they had removed several of the missions, including the fire caves one.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They copied over a lot of them to Romulans and Klingons to pad out their lovely leveling experience without needing to spend effort add some extra content. Feds still get the full "fun" experience though.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I'm looking to join in on this dumb game; I've been flying around blowing up Klingons and it's actually more fun than I expected. I'm level 20 and I'm wondering, should I stick with just the ONE energy type and deck out my consoles, or is it alright to be firing a veritable rainbow of death?

Ingame name is JackCrassian, @crassian is the handle thing.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

John Dyne posted:

I'm looking to join in on this dumb game; I've been flying around blowing up Klingons and it's actually more fun than I expected. I'm level 20 and I'm wondering, should I stick with just the ONE energy type and deck out my consoles, or is it alright to be firing a veritable rainbow of death?

Welcome to Hell.

To answer your question, it really doesn't matter what gear you use leveling up to 50, but once you hit 50, pick an energy type and gear up accordingly. I'm sure you already know by now, but just to reiterate, the real grind begins at level 50.

faxmachine fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 9, 2015

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Bijor is season 12

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Mondian posted:

Well, at least they fixed the Fire Caves pathing from release. Nothing quite like watching your whole away team march off the walkway directly into a fiery grave.

Funny you should say that because it still didn't work for me with the Delta Recruit poo poo. Granted it wasn't as bad as way way back but still didn't work in a way that didn't require me to micromanage the poo poo out of them.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

John Dyne posted:

Sent you an invite to the channel.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

faxmachine posted:

Welcome to Hell.

To answer your question, it really doesn't matter what gear you use leveling up to 50, but once you hit 50, pick an energy type and gear up accordingly. I'm sure you already know by now, but just to reiterate, the real grind begins at level 50.
Meh. The difference between the +beam consoles and the energy type specific ones is pretty small. You can do just fine in end-game content with a rainbow boat.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's a bit bigger with vanilla consoles but if you're using spire consoles it's like what, 1-2% in total? Not really a big deal unless you're going obsessively razor edge DPS.

Although you'd want to use antiproton everything anyway. No real reason not to now that they're craftable.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

I have restored the WoK uniform guide on the wiki and unlocked the page since the joke is now over. Stop getting mad at video games people.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Goon has trolled goon.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The Goon fuckery has stopped, the responsible parties banned from EVE and Star Citizen, all is as it should be and thus I vanish into irrelevance again to keep watch over the peace, no the hero this game needs but the hero it deserver.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
What about the Fishing Pact? Does it still hold?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The fishing pact stands as solid as the Commonwealth thanks to the tireless efforts of agents code named Goth Xean and Girl Xean.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 9, 2015

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Made a new character since last time I played was a couple years ago. Can I get an invite to Next Gooneration channel?

Ragnar@TheVikings

Thanks.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Last time I played through the Cardassian arc they had removed several of the missions, including the fire caves one.

Weird, I played them last time I levelled a fed, during the Delta Recruit event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Tuskin38 posted:

Weird, I played them last time I levelled a fed, during the Delta Recruit event.

Yeah same, those are still in.

• Locked thread