Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just saw the letters from Nathan's dad implying a bribe and then we see a mysterious envelope of bills with disabled fund written on it, and I thought I put two and two together. Worst case I thought the principal would get in trouble or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, I totally thought the handicap fund was the """handicap fund""", but I didn't wanna make us breaking in escalate into something even worse.

Codependent Poster posted:

Where can you even see Chloe's phone?

I also totally did three of those things. But anyone who didn't take Kate's call is an rear end in a top hat.
After the swimming pool scene in Episode 3 when you gotta go downstairs. It throws me every time when Max goes up to someone's laptop or phone and just uses it, even if the owner is standing right next to it, I dunno why.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 9, 2015

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I was able to deal with Frank without violence while not giving the money, so hopefully there's a chance to put the money back!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I got back from vacation and was finally able to play this. Very good episode.

I was surprised to see people hadn't figured out the pin to the phone. I didn't know you could figure out where he was without it.

I thought about most of the major decisions before making them, but I didn't even spend a second thinking about it before letting Warren go to town on Nathan.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
If you can't figure out the pin and lock the phone you can unlock it with the long rear end 10 digit number on the sim card card. I don't know if you miss out on anything by doing so though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Talorat posted:

If you can't figure out the pin and lock the phone you can unlock it with the long rear end 10 digit number on the sim card card. I don't know if you miss out on anything by doing so though.

I seriously thought it was the proper solution, because it requires very basic knowledge of how PIN codes work. I just entered 1234 a bunch of times and unlocked it with the PUK code.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

For the pin I just kept looking at the school sheet with all the numbers, because I couldn't reconcile them including it and it not being relevant. Then I just thought to try his birthdate, because that seemed clever that they would make the 08 "August" and leave you to interpret that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I had a dream about the final episode of Life is Strange last night.

A gigantic demonic Jefferson was attacking the town, and you could only defeat it by taking Polaroids of its weak points.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's gonna happen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I had a dream about the final episode of Life is Strange last night.

A gigantic demonic Jefferson was attacking the town, and you could only defeat it by taking Polaroids of its weak points.

This game to Donnie Darko is what Deadly Premonition to Twin Peaks, so I can see that happening.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You gotta throw a Pester Ball to lure him out of his hideout, followed by an Apple to keep him still, before you can take that final polaroid and win the game.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I know graphics whining is dumb so i'll try not to.
I really likes the way the game looks, but unfortunately it can sometimes look a little rough, most noticeably in hair. You could argue this contributes to more of a cartoon aesthetic, but I wonder if this game could benefit from some TressFX treatment or whatever.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Do the 'optional' photographs do anything besides give you achievements? Like do they unlock journal information or anything? I picked up whichever ones I went past but I didn't bother seeking them all out, and now I'm worried they'll be the key to saving the universe :ohdear:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They're just for cheevos.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

But what if every extra photo you took gives you an extra rewind in the finale???!?!?!??!?! :derp:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Hardly any of the optional photos are selfies.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Tagra posted:

Do the 'optional' photographs do anything besides give you achievements? Like do they unlock journal information or anything? I picked up whichever ones I went past but I didn't bother seeking them all out, and now I'm worried they'll be the key to saving the universe :ohdear:

One of the optional photos is of the ghost deer you see around which shows that it isn't actually real, at least as far as the camera is concerned. When you look at the photo later it is just a picture of the junkyard and some bushes, no deer. But that is more flavor than anything, I am sure it doesn't actually matter and wont matter.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Tagra posted:

you can always go back and get them all without having to start over, you can go to chapters in collection mode to get the photos and it won't save other than giving you the photos in the journal

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Talorat posted:

One of the optional photos is of the ghost deer you see around which shows that it isn't actually real, at least as far as the camera is concerned. When you look at the photo later it is just a picture of the junkyard and some bushes, no deer. But that is more flavor than anything, I am sure it doesn't actually matter and wont matter.
It acts as foreshadowing as well, but that's it.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The collectible photo you can take of Chloe and William shows up in the Alternate World and Max comments on it. Other than that, I don't think any of them do anything at all beyond the achievement.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Predictions for episode 5 - two months from now (goddamn it):

• Max will escape the bunker by focusing on her selfie with Warren and time travelling.
  • Her power will not be explained.
  • The deer was Rachel Amber and will not come up again.
  • Max's initial premonition (and the deer's appearance in it) will not be explained, but I really hope I'm wrong on this one.
  • Despite the latest Geek Remix theory, Principal Wells will not be directly involved in the kidnappings.
  • Max will definitely go back to day 1 and probably realise the storm was caused by breaking the timestream by preventing Chloe's death. Butterfly symbolism will become even more heavy handed.
  • There will be an ending where Max dies.
  • There will NOT be a romance confirmation between Max and Chloe.
  • There could be a romance confirmation between Max and Warren...
  • Alyssa will stop something from hitting me because that HAS to pay off somehow.
  • Samuel and the homeless lady will remain mystically knowledgeable but completely unimportant and not explained.
  • There will probably be a really good song in there.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I don't know what a Geek Remix theory is, but Wells is a guy who keeps booze in his office and was shown drunk off his rear end in episode something. Real life that would just mean he's miserable due to any number of personal, professional or financial problems, but this is a video game so if he drinks it's because he's into some shady poo poo, guaranteed.

Also, no need to spoiler speculation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

"The deer is Rachel guiding Max" theory seems at odds with the rest of the game's approach toward the supernatural; I don't know how it ever became so popular. I think it's just a symbolic representation of the way that Max now occupies two timelines simultaneously, in the same way that we see the two moons flicker and converge into a single quantum state at the end of Episode 4. Her time travel powers give her the ability to perceive multiple realities at once.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

"The deer is Rachel guiding Max" theory seems at odds with the rest of the game's approach toward the supernatural; I don't know how it ever became so popular. I think it's just a symbolic representation of the way that Max now occupies two timelines simultaneously, in the same way that we see the two moons flicker and converge into a single quantum state at the end of Episode 4. Her time travel powers give her the ability to perceive multiple realities at once.
Because Samuel's talk about spirit animals makes it feel like its just not some one off thing and spirit animals tend to be seen as guides and/or look out for people.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Nah, the deer guides Max through the storm in the first episode, then to where Rachel is buried. Then it looks all sad and poo poo when they find Rachel.

I think it was both hers and Rachel's spirit animal.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

seravid posted:

I don't know what a Geek Remix theory is, but Wells is a guy who keeps booze in his office and was shown drunk off his rear end in episode something. Real life that would just mean he's miserable due to any number of personal, professional or financial problems, but this is a video game so if he drinks it's because he's into some shady poo poo, guaranteed.

Also, no need to spoiler speculation.
They're a YouTube channel that make a lot of LiS theory vids, and they kinda nailed Jefferson months ago.

They also noted that the same booze Wells likes is found in the bunker...

And I'm just spoiler tagging general stuff in case anyone new enters the thread.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 10, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

VagueRant posted:

That's the kind of thing that could easily go either way. It could just be that they'd already modelled that alcohol, and needed something to stick down there, or yeah, it could be entirely deliberate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

This is an inexpensive game and assets get reused everywhere. Next, my elaborate theory on how Mrs. Grant is in on the whole scheme because the red binder on her desk is the same model as the ones in the darkroom and David's closet. You should never have given away your personal information on that petition, Max...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

This is an inexpensive game and assets get reused everywhere. Next, my elaborate theory on how Mrs. Grant is in on the whole scheme because the red binder on her desk is the same model as the ones in the darkroom and David's closet. You should never have given away your personal information on that petition, Max...

They should gently caress with us and make it so the identity of any co-conspirators changes depending on your choices.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

VagueRant posted:

They're a YouTube channel that make a lot of LiS theory vids, and they kinda nailed Jefferson months ago.

To be fair, who didn't think he was hella suspicious?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maxine the silent assassin.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Be sure to update us on what happens when you inevitably kill Frank with a gun.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Moriatti posted:

To be fair, who didn't think he was hella suspicious?

I caught him creeping on Max like right away but I thought he was just creepy teacher flirting with student , not what it was.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Moriatti posted:

Be sure to update us on what happens when you inevitably kill Frank with a gun.

You can only kill Frank if the dog is present. The maximum carnage option is to not hurt the dog so you can get the dog and Frank shot to death.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They should gently caress with us and make it so the identity of any co-conspirators changes depending on your choices.

Ah, the Alpha Protocol route.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

VagueRant posted:

And I'm just spoiler tagging general stuff in case anyone new enters the thread.

The Jefferson stuff is so obvious that I literally thought there was no way it could be him because of how on the nose everything was.

Literately the first thing he says to you in the game is that he can put anyone is a dark room and take a photo of them at their most vulnerable moment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Not a lot of people are paying attention to the side dialogue at that particular moment and I'd wager that most people who don't obsessively pore over every detail of games (i.e. us goons in this thread) could easily miss it. Even if you picked up on it, you could just think it was provocative cool teacher dialogue as you focused on other things.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Not a lot of people are paying attention to the side dialogue at that particular moment and I'd wager that most people who don't obsessively pore over every detail of games (i.e. us goons in this thread) could easily miss it. Even if you picked up on it, you could just think it was provocative cool teacher dialogue as you focused on other things.

I like to think I'm not that goony over this game, but I get your point. My response to the twist was simply "of course it was him", rather than shock. The operation was obviously way too organized for someone like Nathan to be doing it, and those binders clearly go back years and years based simply on how many there are.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

I like to think I'm not that goony over this game, but I get your point. My response to the twist was simply "of course it was him", rather than shock. The operation was obviously way too organized for someone like Nathan to be doing it, and those binders clearly go back years and years based simply on how many there are.

It hadn't really occurred to me that it might be him until he showed up at the party. Like, I knew he was going to be there, but something about his appearance just as we head off pinged my radar.

Also, it was bothering me that I remembered much older hands putting that one folder together in the cliffhanger of one of the episodes, and thought "wait, Nathan doesn't have old person hands."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It was too organised/comprehensive for Nathan or David or any of the other major suspects, and the only people they could use to actually shock you at this point would've been Warren or Samuel the first would've had the same problem as the two in my other spoiler and the second would've felt forced.

• Locked thread