Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
That does make perfect sense for a franchise trying to transition into a new setting, but it still feels like, I dunno, killing off Batman to introduce New Spandex Crime Fight Guy. (I realize I only know this material because of the game, in which Jack is a very important character, so my opinion is biased, but ehhh)

Did the transition at least introduce a bunch of new and interesting characters?

e: This is a super boring top-of-page post so here's one of my favorite images from this game

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

anime tupac posted:

3. Wikipedia Link Syndrome led me from article to article until I wound up reading the plot of Gehenna: The Final Night. Spoilers I guess if anyone gives a poo poo Smiling Jack gets killed by some random Beckett follower who used to be a decent guy and then went insane at some point? As do many other prominent characters? I'll grant I don't know anything about this setting but that seems kinda drastic
One of the things you gotta remember about VTM (and one of the things I really like about it, and miss from the the new setting) is that it's full of late-90s millenarianism, so a drastic conclusion to the metaplot is basically inevitable. The book that ended the setting presents four different Gehenna scenarios. The least apocalyptic ends with every single vampire in the world dead directly by God's hand, with the possible exception of the PCs if they've grabbed their One-Off, No Refunds Chance for Salvation™. The silliest version is an Antediluvian Battle Royale that ends up with every scrap of organic matter on the planet becoming part of [Tzimisce] and the planet itself becoming [Gangrel], and even if you manage to thwart [Tzimisce] 99% of the globe's population is dead.

edit:

quote:

Did the transition at least introduce a bunch of new and interesting characters?
There's no transition as such. VTR is a new setting with no in-universe connection to VTM.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zephro posted:

One of the things you gotta remember about VTM (and one of the things I really like about it, and miss from the the new setting) is that it's full of late-90s millenarianism, so a drastic conclusion to the metaplot is basically inevitable. The book that ended the setting presents four different Gehenna scenarios. The least apocalyptic ends with every single vampire in the world dead directly by God's hand, with the possible exception of the PCs if they've grabbed their One-Off, No Refunds Chance for Salvation™. The silliest version is an Antediluvian Battle Royale that ends up with every scrap of organic matter on the planet becoming part of [Tzimisce] and the planet itself becoming [Gangrel], and even if you manage to thwart [Tzimisce] 99% of the globe's population is dead.

Don't forget the scenario that ends in a literal backalley brawl between Lilith, Caine, Abel, Lucifer and a bunch of Antediluvians.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, they basically said "lets rework and streamline the systems so they actually work, divest ourselves of this gargantuan metaplot, and as a celebratory measure, fire ALL the checkhov's guns in a final cash grab for the old setting. Then let's get acquired by a bunch of rotten shark eating icelanders, jerked around a bunch, then form another company so we can license our own IP back to make more books."

I may have extrapolated a bit there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I still rather enjoy the Kemintiri end-of-the-world plotline, largely because it ends on such a petty power-gaming move.

It's not enough that she's a true 4th-gen setite with a grudge against everything, which is a silly thing to have in an adventure to begin with, she also has to humiliate everyone involved. Using the same three-dot thaumaturgical power that, very probably, some of the player characters started with, she lowers her generation… by three steps, and effectively becomes Caine. Flash to white as godly stuff happens. Anyone who lives does so because she has written them off as irrelevant.

It's almost as if the whole thing is written in reference to what some annoying player has done… :D

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

anime tupac posted:

2. The Salubri seem awesome, do they have any future in whatever the new setting is, or do they kinda die out, as the Final Nights wiki entry seems to suggest they will?

There's no real room for the Salubri in Requiem. Golconda is kind of their whole deal, and the official version of it in Requiem is a Gangrel thing that's basically the opposite of what it was in Masquerade.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Republican Vampire posted:

There's no real room for the Salubri in Requiem. Golconda is kind of their whole deal, and the official version of it in Requiem is a Gangrel thing that's basically the opposite of what it was in Masquerade.

What exactly is the Gangrel negaGolconda?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

xanthan posted:

What exactly is the Gangrel negaGolconda?

Golconda, also called "The Red Surrender", is a kind of voluntary frenzy where a Gangrel basically shakes hands with the beast and lets it out to play. Rather than going berserk, he or she just goes extra feral and predatory while still retaining their consciousness. Penalties to mental skills, bonuses to combat and animal ken. It's supposed to be an extremely addictive high.

It's way less cool than Requiem's reworking of Malkavians (psychic vampire AIDS) but the clanbooks were pretty hit and miss that way.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I feel like some people have argued that Hollywood is too small or short (I might be misremembering) but I really like it. The quest that gradually leads you to the Tzimisce place is one of my favorites, I normally just yawn at games' attempts to pull my strings but the increasingly creepy 8mm detective vibe, culminating in the horrible flesh house, actually managed it for me.

e: actually I have a question

Zephro posted:

One of the things you gotta remember about VTM (and one of the things I really like about it, and miss from the the new setting) is that it's full of late-90s millenarianism, so a drastic conclusion to the metaplot is basically inevitable. The book that ended the setting presents four different Gehenna scenarios. The least apocalyptic ends with every single vampire in the world dead directly by God's hand, with the possible exception of the PCs if they've grabbed their One-Off, No Refunds Chance for Salvation™.

I also love that about it, but here's my question: is there anything canonical in Vampire about the various religions being ~true~? Like you mention that one doomsday scenario, and obviously there's a God, according to the setting, and also a Christian one, if all Western vampires descend from the biblical Cain(e). But then if that's true, are there other canon explanations set aside for the Kuei-Jin, who come from perverted versions of the Ten Thousand Heroes or whatever? I know I'm mangling the details here, but I'm basically just asking if the setting definitively comes down on sourcing vampires to various religions or if it leaves it all ambiguous.

edit 2: I'm a huge voice acting snob and VA being good is way more important to me than it seems to be for most people; that said, Gary's VA is loving awesome. I don't know why it didn't strike me the first time but I'm only noticing how good it is now. Even when the lines could easily be cheesy, he delivers them so well. I've never even heard of the guy but his absolute disdain for the PC just seeps out in everything he says. Somehow, impossibly, he was the Codex Narrator in the ME games, which I just can't reconcile with his lizardlike Gary voice.

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 15, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Been playing quite a bit lately, and I have to admit this game is a loving blast. I'm playing with a wizard vampire with a bunch of persuasion points and so far things have been going smoothly; I only checked a guide once because I went back to Isaac to ask him about Ginger Swan and the door was locked so I had no idea what to do. Of course then I realized I was trying the front door instead of the side one. Welp..

I'm having so much fun I'm already planning a Malk run and maaaaaybe a Nosferatu to see how different the whole "people can't see you" plays.

Having said that, the Nosferatu sewers can go suck a god drat dick, between the 118a pump room and the areas after that that are filled with those loving woman human centipede things that take a trillion shots to kill (or 2 blood strike hits but hey, there's no blood to be had other than rats, and there are more of those cunts than rats). That was the least fun I've had with the game so far, but looks like it's over now, I just got to the Nosferatu "town").

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nosferatu run really isn't that fun. Taking the sewers gets old.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's one of the worst sewer levels in the history of sewer levels so your hatred isn't without merit.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Golconda, also called "The Red Surrender", is a kind of voluntary frenzy where a Gangrel basically shakes hands with the beast and lets it out to play. Rather than going berserk, he or she just goes extra feral and predatory while still retaining their consciousness. Penalties to mental skills, bonuses to combat and animal ken. It's supposed to be an extremely addictive high.

It's way less cool than Requiem's reworking of Malkavians (psychic vampire AIDS) but the clanbooks were pretty hit and miss that way.

Forgot about this thread for a bit but I must ask, psychic vampire AIDS? Sorry for the slight derail into Requiem stuff.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

xanthan posted:

Forgot about this thread for a bit but I must ask, psychic vampire AIDS? Sorry for the slight derail into Requiem stuff.

After backlash against the core rulebook's version of Malkavians, WW wrote up a new version for the Ventrue Clanbook. It's a blood disease that's pretty clearly styled on HIV in some respects. Functionally it's like a secondary bloodline, but there's a bunch of stuff about how it spreads (like blood-sharing for erotic or narcotic purposes), the volume of misconceptions about how it's spread, and so on.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Khizan posted:

Nosferatu run really isn't that fun. Taking the sewers gets old.

You can move around on the streets, as long as you don't get too close to the NPCs. The trigger range is fairly small.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

I still rather enjoy the Kemintiri end-of-the-world plotline, largely because it ends on such a petty power-gaming move.

It's not enough that she's a true 4th-gen setite with a grudge against everything, which is a silly thing to have in an adventure to begin with, she also has to humiliate everyone involved. Using the same three-dot thaumaturgical power that, very probably, some of the player characters started with, she lowers her generation… by three steps, and effectively becomes Caine. Flash to white as godly stuff happens. Anyone who lives does so because she has written them off as irrelevant.

It's almost as if the whole thing is written in reference to what some annoying player has done… :D

If you look at game rules in general you can just tell that there are random rules put in there because some player asked "but what if I...?"

In the case of Vampire I kind of wonder if The Masquerade itself as well as how frequently useless combat-related stuff is came about because of an inherent flaw in the setting. Vampires are nigh unkillable death machines. I just assumed that in some early version the players just ran rampant doing whatever they wanted but the person running the game was like "knock that poo poo off. Here is a reason." Granted running a game and seeing how people snap it in half is the best way to see what does in fact need capped somehow and The Masquerade is actually a cool way of doing that. Somebody probably asked "but what if a really low generation vampire lowers their generation further?" Somebody else probably asked "but what if X power could be used to do Y by a ludicrously powerful vampire?" The other issue was that they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the setting as a whole. It starts with "the stories in the Bible are partly true, Caine and Abel were real people, and God is unhappy with the world. By the way, Armageddon is coming and you can't stop it." The whole "very terrible things are going to happen to you" thing was a central theme of Vampire. Vampires themselves were strongly focused on avoiding Those Bad Things but also knew, deep down inside, that their efforts were fruitless and irrelevant. They were totally, completely, and absolutely hosed no matter what they did. The whole setting was bleak as hell and that's really why it worked as it did.

Other times it becomes awesome. Battletech has the best example of that. "Wait, mechs can jump? What happens if I jump on another mech?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

True enough. I seem to recall that the VtM Players' Guide had a chapter on that whole problem. They were discussing the “general framework” design of the storyteller system and how the GM and players should work to make a good story, and how to fudge rules in an interesting way. The example they used was the classic player question “how much damage does a motorcycle do?”

VtM wasn't designed to be a combat action game, and yet, inevitably, someone will ask what happens if you do a burnout on a vampire elder's face.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I just got a new laptop that can actually handle games, the OP is kind of old, are there any mods aside from the Clan Quest pack that I should be looking into? I am so pumped to finally play this again after so many years.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Soonmot posted:

I just got a new laptop that can actually handle games, the OP is kind of old, are there any mods aside from the Clan Quest pack that I should be looking into? I am so pumped to finally play this again after so many years.

No. Seriously, nothing has improved since the OP was written, other than a few iterations of the fan patch.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Steam has an article on antitribu clans, is this worth grabbing?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, finished the game. I really really liked it, but it goes a little combat-heavy once you hit Chinatown. I'm going to lose my cred and admit I turned on god mode for a few of the later fights (like Ming Xiao's goop form), but other than that it went well.

Now, I was reading some random stuff about the game and I came across something about Heather: she's supposed to give me an armour, be kidnapped by Sabbat and then die in hallowbrook? That didn't happen in my game, she never showed up in Hallbrook and I did talk to her quite a few times in my haven (both in the first haven and the tremere pad in Strauss' building) but other than the "Master I brought you a dude" I never got any other interactions, just the "gimme blood" and "change your clothing" options.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, finished the game. I really really liked it, but it goes a little combat-heavy once you hit Chinatown. I'm going to lose my cred and admit I turned on god mode for a few of the later fights (like Ming Xiao's goop form), but other than that it went well.

Now, I was reading some random stuff about the game and I came across something about Heather: she's supposed to give me an armour, be kidnapped by Sabbat and then die in hallowbrook? That didn't happen in my game, she never showed up in Hallbrook and I did talk to her quite a few times in my haven (both in the first haven and the tremere pad in Strauss' building) but other than the "Master I brought you a dude" I never got any other interactions, just the "gimme blood" and "change your clothing" options.

You have to talk to Heather after doing the Society of Leopold but before getting the Hallowbrook quest from Lacroix, otherwise nothing will happen. I think there's a few things with Heather that only happen if you talk to her at very specific times.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

why aren't you always talking to Heather

don't you think about how lonely she must be :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Right, so I launched the game and noticed the version number said 8.8 and I knew I had the unofficial patch installed, so I checked and yeah, you have to launch from the patch's shortcut and not the steam launcher.

I beat the game with the unofficial patch installed but didn't actually use it. :saddowns:

Cantaloupe posted:

You have to talk to Heather after doing the Society of Leopold but before getting the Hallowbrook quest from Lacroix, otherwise nothing will happen. I think there's a few things with Heather that only happen if you talk to her at very specific times.

Remora posted:

why aren't you always talking to Heather

don't you think about how lonely she must be :(

I did talk to her a bunch of times, but since I kept getting the same options after the first "master, dobby brought you a hooman!" I stopped checking all the time.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Right, so I launched the game and noticed the version number said 8.8 and I knew I had the unofficial patch installed, so I checked and yeah, you have to launch from the patch's shortcut and not the steam launcher.

I beat the game with the unofficial patch installed but didn't actually use it. :saddowns:

I did talk to her a bunch of times, but since I kept getting the same options after the first "master, dobby brought you a hooman!" I stopped checking all the time.

You are so inconsiderate of your blood-bound sycophant's emotional and physical needs. Shame on you. :colbert:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

:goonsay:

This isn't entirely correct. The core book gives something like an outline if not outright rules about what 'real' Golconda would look like and even some suggestions on how to achieve it. The Red Surrender, as presented in the Gangrel book, isn't the 'real' Golconda any more than any of the other suggested alternative Goldondas are. In fact, that's one of the things that's kind of unique about Requiem; there are a lot of competing theories that are allowed to be simultaneously true, because there's no metasetting.

Of more direct interest to this thread: Onyx Path is publishing a 4th Edition of the Vampire: the Masquerade!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mendrian posted:

Of more direct interest to this thread: Onyx Path is publishing a 4th Edition of the Vampire: the Masquerade!

Here's to hoping it wouldn't take much work to convert it to nWoD rules. Or that they don't gently caress it up like they did Beast.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Edmond Dantes posted:

Sounds like an easy problem to fix. And really don't worry about cheating. Unclipping was one of my favorite tools for moving through the hubs. Not to mention skipping the sewer level each time.

Bonus points for second playthrough, you can start to make sense of the malk's ramblings.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Brainamp posted:

Sounds like an easy problem to fix. And really don't worry about cheating. Unclipping was one of my favorite tools for moving through the hubs. Not to mention skipping the sewer level each time.

Bonus points for second playthrough, you can start to make sense of the malk's ramblings.

Yup, I'm making a dementation/intimidation malk (I used persuasion a lot last playthrough, might go for seduction instead of intimidation) to see how it goes. Too bad you get screwed on a couple weapons and the lockpick if you skip the tutorial though. :(

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Soonmot posted:

Steam has an article on antitribu clans, is this worth grabbing?

Ahahahahahaha I think this LP should answer your question.

tldr = no no no no nonononononononononNONONONONONONONO not unless you're doing it to see just how bad and mod-y a mod can be, it's like a Quake 1 mod with all the goofy bullshit it crams in there for no reason. Highlights include having to spend more time in the sewers, having to spend time in a NEW sewer section, lovely platforming, and an absolute truckload of wildly unbalanced combat shoehorned into places where it doesn't belong (in a game where the combat is the weakest part) which includes making Grout's wife into a boss. Also everyone wears football pads.

Honestly the new clans/powers look like they could be fun if you could just play with those and not have to deal with all the other poo poo they threw in. I remember The Final Nights mod adding new clans/powers while also having a relatively light touch with regards to the amount of other stuff they changed, but it's been awhile since I played that one so maybe it's just as terrible.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Brainamp posted:

Ahahaha, holy poo poo, I got to the seer at the beach and my PC is already spoiling the game. I think people freaking the gently caress out I'm a Malk will never get old. :allears:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Malk playthroughs are fun as hell. Its pretty great just the sheer amount of exasperation you'll hear when most characters realize you're a loving malkavian.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ahahaha, holy poo poo, I got to the seer at the beach and my PC is already spoiling the game. I think people freaking the gently caress out I'm a Malk will never get old. :allears:
The best is freaking out Ming-Xiao because a Malk PC sees right through her.

I think some of the writing for Malk felt a bit too monkeycheese at times, but the parts of the game that portrayed them as insane mystics that either freaked people out or just really annoyed them (The several times where people when they first meet you are just like, "Ugh, you're a Malk, aren't you?") were great. Also the first time I heard the voices legit creeped me out.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Brainamp posted:

Malk playthroughs are fun as hell. Its pretty great just the sheer amount of exasperation you'll hear when most characters realize you're a loving malkavian.

The best moment is right out of the gate. "Thrown out here like a naked baby in the woods and you're Malkavian? You're hosed."

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The best moment is right out of the gate. "Thrown out here like a naked baby in the woods and you're Malkavian? You're hosed."

The sheer glee with which he delivers that line is amazing as well.

Brainamp posted:

Just got to The Asylum, loved the bartender's mix of confusion and "too tired for this poo poo".

Accordion Man posted:

I think some of the writing for Malk felt a bit too monkeycheese at times, but the parts of the game that portrayed them as insane mystics that either freaked people out or just really annoyed them (The several times where people when they first meet you are just like, "Ugh, you're a Malk, aren't you?") were great. Also the first time I heard the voices legit creeped me out.
Yeah, a few lines are "random lol" but I feel those are the filler answers, like when you get 4 different ways of saying "I'm gone".

So far this is fun as hell; it feels the Malk PC has already played the game and isn't outright spoiling everything out of respect for the player, but is having a blast dropping hints all over the place, like the first meeting with Jeanette, or the phone call with the guy from the modelling job saying "you have a nice way of... dissecting the language".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah I only lasted a few conversations in to my malk run because it felt like a nerd doing Monty python voices at me. The stop sign conversation sounds brilliant though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I loved the amount of foreshadowing in the Malkavian dialogue. Hell, when you first meet Jack in the alley there's a "BOOM!" dialogue option.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Accordion Man posted:

I think the best part of that spoilered character is casually dropping "Yama Kings" like it ain't no thing, and the reaction (unless that's what you meant).

On the "insane mystic" thing, the first time you meet VV in LA and have the option to call her by her real name is one of my favorite examples of that.

Gorgeous Gary is one of the few characters who isn't annoyed at you just for being a Malkavian, and it's pretty refreshing (and hilarious).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I just wanted viscisitude and obtenebration. Ow well, nor add if this game doesn't have nor than enough to keep me occupied. I don't think I ever did a nosferatu run back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Argh, I screwed myself off the Haven in downtown because I was flippant to the jester in the tower.

Can I console it in somehow? I googled but didn't come up with anything :(

• Locked thread