Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The movie would have been better if Quess killed both Char and Amuro and it was about Quess instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

The movie would have been better if Quess killed both Char and Amuro and it was about Quess instead.

You're just saying that because Quess looks vaguely like Miku.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You're just saying that because Quess looks vaguely like Miku.

I actually like Quess's role and perspective as the younger generation that is being abandoned and destroyed by the old war heroes fighting out the same battles they fought so long ago.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
She was nuts and murdered people for stupider reasons than most. It'd have made a smidge more sense if she were a cyber-newtype. Or Kamille.

See, I don't like early-Zeta Kamille's rash idiocy, so I wasn't really digging Quess's Kamille impersonation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only thing I remember about single-digit episode Zeta is Jerid killing Kamille's mother, and the first thing Quatro says to comfort is "You know, let me talk about this great guy called Char"

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Tomino has a lot of those young girl Newtypes characters who meet an older man and suddenly go crazy in his Gundam stories. Stay away from older men ladies, they're trouble. Especially the pretty ones.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tae posted:

The only thing I remember about single-digit episode Zeta is Jerid killing Kamille's mother, and the first thing Quatro says to comfort is "You know, let me talk about this great guy called Char"

"If Char were here, he would probably say something comforting!"

The best part of Zeta is when Kamille gets fed up with Quattro's act and just punches his sunglasses off and says that everyone knows who he really is.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Punches him so hard Char cries a little. Kamile is indeed a man, he knows karate.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
quess is unbelievably horrible and I cheered when her stupid rear end got blown up

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The younger generation is horrible. Let's just watch these two older guys have a robot slapfight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sharkopath posted:

I actually like Quess's role and perspective as the younger generation that is being abandoned and destroyed by the old war heroes fighting out the same battles they fought so long ago.

The movie starts with her friends getting arrested and most likely murdered/gulaged. She only gets away because her father's a politician.

So, you know, perspectives.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The younger generation is horrible. Let's just watch these two older guys have a robot slapfight.

But it was a really good slapfight!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

I'll never forget the first episode of Zeta. Kamille punches a member of the Space Gestapo and then gets arrested. His mother uses her pull with the Titans to get him off but what does he do? Start fist fighting with the guys releasing him. It all culminates in Kamille stealing a car then jumping out of the car while it's still moving. Next episode he hijacks a Gundam to get back at his Titan interrogator.

Kamille is like a teen rebel on steroids. Even if I didn't like his character arc, I'd still call him one of the most entertaining MCs just for the antics listed above.

I also remember when I started Zeta someone in here said their favorite Kamille moment was when he "threw a guy on crutches down a mountain." It sounds like the most hilariously dickish move ever. But, with context, I can safely say that "the guy on crutches" deserves to be thrown down a hundred more mountains.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kamille so thoroughly dismantles Jerid's life that people on the writing staff felt bad enough for him that they kept him around much, much longer than his expiration date. Of all the things I remember about Zeta, it's that.

And in spite of it all he's so beneath Kamille's notice that not even reminding him that he killed his mom could get a rise out of him. Jerid's gotten every single one of his friends and girlfriends killed trying to bring Kamille down and is utterly fixated on him, but he killed Kamille's mom and Kamille can't give less of a poo poo beyond "you were just following orders, you're not really the one to blame." Which just makes Jerid feel worse and it's fantastic. Later he manages to kill Four and Kamille finally notices him, but he also fucks up the Titans' last chance at a PR save and repeatedly cocks things up so it's a wash.

I don't really hold Zeta in the highest regard, but I think of it more fondly if I just imagine it as the chronicle of Jerid's long, long tumble down the mountainside of life.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll never forget the first episode of Zeta. Kamille punches a member of the Space Gestapo and then gets arrested. His mother uses her pull with the Titans to get him off but what does he do? Start fist fighting with the guys releasing him. It all culminates in Kamille stealing a car then jumping out of the car while it's still moving. Next episode he hijacks a Gundam to get back at his Titan interrogator.

Kamille is like a teen rebel on steroids. Even if I didn't like his character arc, I'd still call him one of the most entertaining MCs just for the antics listed above.

I also remember when I started Zeta someone in here said their favorite Kamille moment was when he "threw a guy on crutches down a mountain." It sounds like the most hilariously dickish move ever. But, with context, I can safely say that "the guy on crutches" deserves to be thrown down a hundred more mountains.

Kamille is basically a spree shooter waiting to happen at the start of Zeta.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

closeted republican posted:

Kamille is basically a spree shooter waiting to happen at the start of Zeta.

Glad that Quattro guy was there to set him straight and help him work his poo poo out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Glad that Quattro guy was there to set him straight and help him work his poo poo out.

What does it say about Athrun, or Destiny's writing I guess, when Char Aznable is a better source stability and mental health?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think what helped for me is that everyone talks about Quess being the worst Gundam character of all time, so when I finally saw CCA her character was a pleasant surprise since she fits that purpose quite well.

Quess owns, and Katz owns too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

She was nuts and murdered people for stupider reasons than most. It'd have made a smidge more sense if she were a cyber-newtype. Or Kamille.

See, I don't like early-Zeta Kamille's rash idiocy, so I wasn't really digging Quess's Kamille impersonation.

What she wanted was some guidance and love, but what she got was abandoned by amuro and turned into a tool by char. They're both really terrible people and part of the point of CCA is that this cycle keeps happening because none of the people involved in these wars can act like real adults and mentors and guide the hand of the new coming generations towards a conclusive peace.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hathaway is the same thing, so it's really funny that people always miss on that aspect of the story in favor of just talking about how amuro totally beat char super fast and it was like really cool whoah.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Hathaway is the same thing, so it's really funny that people always miss on that aspect of the story in favor of just talking about how amuro totally beat char super fast and it was like really cool whoah.

It was really cool, to be fair.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's the problem with all war media, where the idea is always inherently showing why war is a harsh and terrible thing but the act of making it exciting at the same time means you are either accidentally or purposefully glorifying it to the viewer. You have to try very very hard to make something that avoids that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HCTIUx1Arc

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Beef Chief posted:

The last 10 minutes of the movie was legitimately great. Amuro kicking Char's poo poo in. stopping the meteor with everyone helping him, and Char's loving amazing movie ending line killing me. I wish the rest of the movie could've been as enjoyable as that.

Amuro was like oh god no stop it why when everyone was trying to stop the meteor and their suits were just burning up and exploding around him. Pretty much the perfect all heart all futility moment for the show.

To me really, the UC stuff sort of ended there after watching Unicorn.

Also, can you justify Quess being super loving annoying in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 huh? CAN YOU?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

First Instant Ramen then Pocky when will the madness end?!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, can you justify Quess being super loving annoying in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 huh? CAN YOU?

The video games make characters into a caricature of themselves, which is why Kamille never stops shouting about how Kamille is a man's name and he's a man and etc etc, despite only ever saying that once in the actual show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The real hosed up Dynasty Warriors Gundam thing is that because Harry Ord isn't in it, they have Loran say "Universe!" instead, only he's not very passionate about it.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Sharkopath posted:

It's the problem with all war media, where the idea is always inherently showing why war is a harsh and terrible thing but the act of making it exciting at the same time means you are either accidentally or purposefully glorifying it to the viewer. You have to try very very hard to make something that avoids that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HCTIUx1Arc

I think that's why I like War in the Pocket so much. It has two really cool action scenes and then, for me at least, succeeded in making me feel bad that I enjoyed them.

Whenever Newtype teens act in the extreme I was always accept it because being a teen soldier with magic baby powers probably does that to you. Teens are prone to obsession, Newtypes too. If you add the standard teen stuff with the Newtype flash soulmate thing all you have to do is add a 20m tall killing machine for them to drive and the recipe for disaster is complete.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

SeanBeansShako posted:

Amuro was like oh god no stop it why when everyone was trying to stop the meteor and their suits were just burning up and exploding around him. Pretty much the perfect all heart all futility moment for the show.

To me really, the UC stuff sort of ended there after watching Unicorn.

The fact that the UC canonically ends with society collapsing so bad that "the people we started eating when we ran out of food" are still a maligned social underclass for centuries afterward is so dark that it loops right back around to being funny.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 9, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pretty much. Welp what you going to do?

Also, can somebody explain to be why Quatre's private army cosplays as Ottoman era Turks?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, can somebody explain to be why Quatre's private army cosplays as Ottoman era Turks?

Because it's cool and the whole Turk theme fits Quatre's thinnly-veiled homosexuality.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Because it's cool and the whole Turk theme fits Quatre's thinnly-veiled homosexuality.

I'm not saying it works in both those reguards. Also, I don't know why but Herro's outfit also bugs me.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SeanBeansShako posted:

Because everyone in Wing is doing Napoleonic-era cosplay (except for the gundam pilots). That's part of what makes it so great!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Because Wing took a few inspirations from G Gundam, including having a team of five Gundam pilots of five distinct nationalities.

Heero is Japanese
Wufei is Chinese
Duo is American
Quatre is some sort of Arabic I think...I forget what the exact name is
And Trowa is the weirdest one since he's just vaguely European. (which fits I guess since he isn't even actually Trowa) His hair is a less outrageous version of the French guy's hair in G though IIRC so maybe he's French.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So International Napoleonic Cosplaying G-Gundam Manservice. A good answer.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Quatre is like Arabic/Berber descent. I think. His middle name is straight up "The Berber" if you convert it to French and it explains his French name. But also maybe he's just French-Arabic and his middle name isn't anything.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

EthanSteele posted:

Quatre is like Arabic/Berber descent. I think. His middle name is straight up "The Berber" if you convert it to French and it explains his French name. But also maybe he's just French-Arabic and his middle name isn't anything.

He's also a straight-up winner.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I thought Duo was german, or italian.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ka0 posted:

I thought Duo was german, or italian.

Nah Duo is American, though I think his "I AM THE GOD OF DEATH" schtick probably makes more sense in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

EthanSteele posted:

His first name is literally "four" in French.

• Locked thread