Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bogart posted:

There's some free game on Steam right now. Fingerpoints? Getting okay reviews. :v:

e: Fingerbones.

I have never seen a game on steam with so many disclaimers in the description

quote:

SOME FACTS ABOUT FINGERBONES

- It's a short, narrative-focused horror experience, in the vein of games like Serena. If you're averse to reading or demand overt threats and jumpscares in your horror games, this is not a game for you.

- It deals with disturbing subject matter. Be aware that this is not a game for children or those likely to be easily triggered.

- It features a unique artstyle that combines elements of pixel horror with realistic lighting effects, which is intended to enhance the surreal atmosphere.

- Its music is a dynamic part of the game world, evolving based on the player's movements around the environment.

- It attempts to bring some logic and purpose to the traditional "collect scattered notes" narrative mechanic of many indie horror games.

- It is an experiment in creating an intense, horrifying experience through narrative, atmosphere, and pacing alone.

- It is intended to be completed in a single sitting (usually around half an hour for most players), and does not feature a save system.

- Be aware that the game quits automatically upon completion.

- If you're interested in reading my thoughts on the game a year later, check out http://ironsnowflakes.blogspot.com/2015/07/looking-at-fingerbones-year-later.html

- Many of the ideas about narrative and horror were expanded on in The Moon Sliver and The Music Machine. Consider taking a look at them if you like what you see in Fingerbones.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There shouldn't be so many rules before playing your game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It has some decent reviews and I was going to give it a shot until I saw that, then remembered those same reviewers also thought that Slender was the end-all of horror games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the quovak LP is worth reading because Yahtzee himself came in to give his own views years after making the games

he has some weird ideas especially when you discover that Yahtzee's idea of the greatest horror apparently is people having sex

e: around http://lparchive.org/The-Chzo-Mythos/Update%2033/ (spoilers)

Aside, there's a great comic book called Black Hole by Charles Burns that's about a mutating STD that can only be spread by teenagers. Some kids get things they can hide like little tendrils growing from their chest while another kid has a horrible gibbering throat mouth. A good read.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I have never seen a game on steam with so many disclaimers in the description

It was the very first game made by the guy who did The Moon Sliver and The Music Machine, and it's a lot rougher than either of them. It's gotten more attention in the wake of his later games, so I understand him trying to preface it. It's quite short and the story is pretty hosed up, worth a look if you have 30 minutes for a particularly dark experience.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

al-azad posted:

Aside, there's a great comic book called Black Hole by Charles Burns that's about a mutating STD that can only be spread by teenagers. Some kids get things they can hide like little tendrils growing from their chest while another kid has a horrible gibbering throat mouth. A good read.

Black Hole is very good. on the same note It Follows is also a good movie but without body horror

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody know anything about Stasis? I've been lurking the thread for a bit but haven't seen any discussion on it. Looks like it's coming out at the end of the month, and is a point and click adventure style game, which is weird because the visual style kind of seems like its cribbing from the newer Shadowrun games. In any case, I'm interested enough to keep an eye on it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody know anything about Stasis? I've been lurking the thread for a bit but haven't seen any discussion on it. Looks like it's coming out at the end of the month, and is a point and click adventure style game, which is weird because the visual style kind of seems like its cribbing from the newer Shadowrun games. In any case, I'm interested enough to keep an eye on it.
Yeah, it looks pretty good! It's been in development forever now, but it was like two people working on the whole thing.

Based on the alpha demo I played a while ago (still available on the website) it's going to be basically Sanitarium in space. I wasn't as huge a fan of Sanitarium as a lot of people were, but the artwork is really looking good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just got a Surface and I'm wondering what point and click sort of horror games are out there for it

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Len posted:

Just got a Surface and I'm wondering what point and click sort of horror games are out there for it

Not sure what the thread consensus is, but I just got "The Last Door" and am enjoying it.. also pretty cheap. There is always Waxwork from GOG.com :getin:

Edit: Steam streaming from a gaming PC to a Surface works really well too, if you are so inclined

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

the quovak LP is worth reading because Yahtzee himself came in to give his own views years after making the games

he has some weird ideas especially when you discover that Yahtzee's idea of the greatest horror apparently is people having sex

e: around http://lparchive.org/The-Chzo-Mythos/Update%2033/ (spoilers)

quote:

So you agree that having sex would be painful if you were that heavily injured, but you still call it 'taking advantage'? I thought it was fairly clear that Janine was the instigator. She's on top, look. I considered making it seem closer to a sexual assault than anything consensual but that weirded me out even more.
Fact is, this is me trying to do something disturbing without realising that I'm the only one it disturbs. I've come to develop a weird aversion to sex. I've never been really sold on it.

What the gently caress Yahtzee. :stare:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this yahtzee guy sounds like a loving weirdo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MinibarMatchman posted:

this yahtzee guy sounds like a loving weirdo

His self-insert character is NAMED "Trilby"

I mean... Its like if you went around calling yourself "Fedora McNeckbeard". Its not even that your parents were that cruel, you picked that for yourself?

His videogame angry-rant videos are entertaining at times (zero punctuation) but what little else I've seen of him has been pretty weird.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean... Its like if you went around calling yourself "Fedora McNeckbeard". Its not even that your parents were that cruel, you picked that for yourself?

His videogame angry-rant videos are entertaining at times (zero punctuation) but what little else I've seen of him has been pretty weird.

I had no idea he did those "5 days a whatever" game series. didn't those look pretty good though? that new horror game thing he made lead me to believe he was a novice because it looked like crap

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MinibarMatchman posted:

I had no idea he did those "5 days a whatever" game series. didn't those look pretty good though? that new horror game thing he made lead me to believe he was a novice because it looked like crap

As a whole the 4 games are great. 7 Days a Skeptic is probably the weakest, but 5 Days a Stranger and Trillby's Notes are pretty solid, and 6 Days a Sacrifice is a good capstone.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's a different style which makes it look a lot like an old Newgrounds flash game. The Trilby games look more like an old Sierra/Lucasarts adventure game. I'm not sure why he went with that look for The Consuming Shadow but I guess it made sense at the time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

You do realize he takes the piss out of himself for this and deliberately made the character a self-absorbed, neurotic, broken wreck in future games as a result right.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

basically Yahtzee was the prototype Trilby dude. you know, the one who says "Excuse me my good Internet friend, the hat you mock with such conviction is in fact in mistaken belief that it be a fedora, for it is a trilby, and I do wear mine (tailored and brushed twice a day) with pride and honour. I bide thee farewell, sir." that one. he existed before makin fun of fedoras was a thing

he owns a bar and is also completely asexual, which at least he's self-aware enough to know it's confusing

also writes a series of books under the name Yahtzee Croshaw (which I only knew because it came up in a humble bundle). I think they are steampunk

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
God forbid Lovecraftian fiction be written by a weird neurotic wreck with dumb opinions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

You do realize he takes the piss out of himself for this and deliberately made the character a self-absorbed, neurotic, broken wreck in future games as a result right.

Yeah but even still he wears a Trilby all the loving time. Its like his costume, he doesn't go outside without it.

Still weird even if he recognizes it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

God forbid Lovecraftian fiction be written by a weird neurotic wreck with dumb opinions.

tbf tilby's notes was not bad and he has a consistently creepy lore around the whole series. the welder's mask serial killer is pretty silly tho so i can recognise the effort put in to legitimise it as part of the lore in that last future trilby clones game

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but even still he wears a Trilby all the loving time. Its like his costume, he doesn't go outside without it.

Hmm, yes, a man known for wearing a hat as part of his persona wears a hat when acting out his persona.

Of all the things to get angry about it never fails to impress me that goons consider hats to be the most offensive thing, lol.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

He gave up wearing that hat a good while ago and talks about ti with embarrassment now. Also he has a girlfriend

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

EmmyOk posted:

a girlfriend

Glad we finally got around to talking about REAL horror ITT :D

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

tbf tilby's notes was not bad and he has a consistently creepy lore around the whole series. the welder's mask serial killer is pretty silly tho so i can recognise the effort put in to legitimise it as part of the lore in that last future trilby clones game

Look, obviously a weird super-white nerdlinger is completely unequiped to write Lovecraftian fiction.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Shadow over Innsmouth is about the terror of the gays. He also depicts a black boxer as being a knuckle dragger which even for the time was p bad.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

EmmyOk posted:

The Shadow over Innsmouth is about the terror of the gays.

Don't be slanderous.

It's about the horror of miscegenation corrupting our pure white genes, OBVIOUSLY, DUH.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I thought I was being unsubtle about how Lovecraft and Yahtzee are both humongous weirdo nerds, but apparently I was being way too subtle.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought I was being unsubtle about how Lovecraft and Yahtzee are both humongous weirdo nerds, but apparently I was being way too subtle.

I caught your meaning. I was just saying dear Howard had plenty of 'views' himself.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

EmmyOk posted:

He gave up wearing that hat a good while ago and talks about ti with embarrassment now. Also he has a girlfriend

Probably completely unrelated events.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I thought yatzee had some self awareness about things with how in the review I listened to more than half a decade ago he made fun of himself for how dumb his career is when you think about it but given some recent things I've heard I'm not so sure, but going further with this would require dredging up unwelcome drama.

At the very least I played this an early version of Consuming Shadow the Hedgehog when it was free and wasn't that impressed (and at the time I was really enjoying its inspiration, FTL) I'd recommend at least watching someone play it on youtube to get an idea if the gameplay is for you or not.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yahtzee's best game was the space adventure one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

I caught your meaning. I was just saying dear Howard had plenty of 'views' himself.

NO!!!! It cannot be!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I remember trolling the gently caress out of the 7 days a stranger LP when the LPer started harping on about how unrealistic the space physics were.

No loving poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

A.o.D. posted:

NO!!!! It cannot be!

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Planetary is so loving good

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Phobophilia posted:

I remember trolling the gently caress out of the 7 days a stranger LP when the LPer started harping on about how unrealistic the space physics were.

No loving poo poo.

I don't want to spend any time talking to the people who get annoyed at how 7 Days A Stranger is implausible because it would be very unlikely to come across something as small as a coffin in outer space.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I see what you did there...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I just wanted to go to space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
More horror games need to be set underwater. Considering that fewer people have been to the deepest parts of the ocean than have been to space, this is a travesty.

It's like when you watch those documentaries about the wreck of the titanic or the deep ocean and you see nothing but blackness further than 5-10 feet out, it is terrifying.