Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I can't believe how many people are scared off by ODB. In PPR leagues, I think he's worth considering at 1.01.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Then you probably want to look somewhere other than SA

haha well, I'll consider myself an optimist for a day. I updated the league boilerplate rules with a few details regarding posts and the replacement process.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

cheese posted:

That is 12 guys you list as WR #1 quality in a 14 man PPR league. Do you need more when Bell and Charles and others are going to be first rounders as well? Even with that said, I look at guys like Jordan Matthews in a Chip Kelly offense and Hopkins on a team with no Foster and no other good receivers, and feel good about them in PPR.

The #1 rule in fantasy is don't grab good players in terrible offenses. The Texans are going to be an absolute train wreck which means Hopkins is probably going to put up a very unreliabe statline this year from week to week. You'll probably get a ton of duds out of him. Matthews might be a bit better, but he seems the type that could easily be replaced midstream as a favorite target as Chip's new offense smooths itself out.

14 person leagues also aren't as thin as they sound. Last year I had a top 3 RB, QB, and WR, all of which were drafted in a variety of spots using the logic of good player, good offense. It'd really suck to waste a third or fourth on a guy who may put up 20 one week and 3 the next, then put up 6, then when you bench him he puts up 12, then you start him and he puts up 4, then you bench him and he puts up 28. Like Hopkins' breakout year last year looks pretty nice on paper but almost all of his fantasy points were scored in four games, which doesn't build championships.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Spoeank posted:

You literally could not have a usable RB2 by week four. :stonk:

cheese posted:

Yikes, I hate this team :ohdear: Forte is a PPR monster but his receptions are likely to go way down and your top two WR's were injury plagued last season

old dog child posted:

I'm higher on Forte than others* and think Murray will do well as a RB2, at worse he'll be a flex option. Spiller could pay off big so he's worth the risk. If you can survive until Foster is back, then you're set. Your WRs are...not great, but I wouldn't worry about that since WR depth is easier to fix during the season. Ditch Dalton and pick up ANYBODY ELSE. After last year, never again. gently caress the red retard. TE is TE but I'd ditch him the moment you found someone even slightly better.

*Cutler is still the Bears QB, after all, and Fox won't be dumb enough to force the ball where it can't go

Ty1990 posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but I don't think this is awful. Your WR depth isn't there but you probably used a pick on Foster that would otherwise have built that up and if that pays off you're in amazing shape. Your top 2 WR's are pretty nice too.

I see no issue with your running backs. Spiller would have been better in a full PPR league but he's not a bad 3rd back at all. I think your top 2 are pretty solid although Murray is a bit of a risk. All signs point to him getting the volume to make it happen though.

Andy Dalton sucks rear end but I'm thinking you know that already and are probably going the streaming route or you'll be paying him with a really short leash. I'm guessing you waited and waited and waited on a QB and then got hit with a rush of them in 1 round and got caught with your pants down. It happens. The bright side is that if Dalton is able to swing a top 10-12 season (not crazy at all) then you have yourself a nice pairing between him and Green, so of all the lovely QB's left when you took him you probably made the best choice.

Not bad for a 14 team league in my opinion.

Thanks for all the responses. Now that I've had a chance to sober up, I really don't think it's that bad for a 14 person league. AJ Green had a few setbacks last year but I wouldn't consider him injury prone. Brandin Cooks broke his hand -- not a recurring injury -- and all signs point to becoming a target monster in that offense.

L Murray, CJ Spiller, and A. Foster are all risky as RB2s, but I consider them pretty decent value at 4th - 6th round picks. Spiller was a bit of a knee-jerk pick as I thought I'd be taking Kelce in the 5th (but he got snagged right in front of me).

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
On a different note, GoonTier is looking for one new owner: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735071

:20bux: .5 ppr & IDP, redraft but top 3 winners get promoted into a keeper league the following year. Draft to be held at 10 PM EST on Sept 6th.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Spoeank posted:

Then you probably want to look somewhere other than SA
:drat:
Why does Big Ben keep talking up Wheaton? I really like Bryant but that makes me a little nervous. Just smoke and mirrors or what?

Zypher posted:

Brandin Cooks broke his hand -- not a recurring injury -- and all signs point to becoming a target monster in that offense.
Oh right, for some reason I thought he tore some tendon in his hand or something. A break is much better.

Doltos posted:

The #1 rule in fantasy is don't grab good players in terrible offenses. The Texans are going to be an absolute train wreck which means Hopkins is probably going to put up a very unreliabe statline this year from week to week. You'll probably get a ton of duds out of him. Matthews might be a bit better, but he seems the type that could easily be replaced midstream as a favorite target as Chip's new offense smooths itself out.

14 person leagues also aren't as thin as they sound. Last year I had a top 3 RB, QB, and WR, all of which were drafted in a variety of spots using the logic of good player, good offense. It'd really suck to waste a third or fourth on a guy who may put up 20 one week and 3 the next, then put up 6, then when you bench him he puts up 12, then you start him and he puts up 4, then you bench him and he puts up 28. Like Hopkins' breakout year last year looks pretty nice on paper but almost all of his fantasy points were scored in four games, which doesn't build championships.
I wasn't advising him to take Hopkins and Matthews as WR #1s. Just pointing out that they are the best receivers on their teams and should receive significant volume, which is of importance in a PPR league. Hopkins had a perfectly fine year for a rookie WR and while hes not going to score 12 TDs, I would have no problems taking him with my fourth pick in a 14 team full PPR league. I also have no idea how you can look at Matthews from last year, Maclin leaving and think that Matthews has mid season dud written all over him. :iiam:

Also, I thought the #1 rule in Fantasy was to not draft any Raiders?

cheese fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 9, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

I can't believe how many people are scared off by ODB. In PPR leagues, I think he's worth considering at 1.01.

Why? I've made this post elsewhere, but here goes. The first WR off the board in full PPR is Antonio Brown. Look at Antonio Brown's scoring last year. He put up ~374 points. Since 2000, there have been 3 WRs that have beat that: Moss in his 23 TD season had 385 points, Moss in 2003 had 376 points, and Harrison in 2002 had 382 points. Jerry Rice in '95, with a line of 122-1848-15, had 396 points. That's ~1.3 points per game better than Brown's 2014. As in, it is almost literally impossible to do significantly better than what Brown put up in 2014.

OBJ's pace extrapolated to 16 games gives 393 points. So best case, OBJ is literally the best WR in a generation, and he offers an extra ~1 point per game of upside over Brown. Realistically? He is actually mortal, that 12 game stretch of play represents his ceiling, not his floor, and he is vastly more likely to fall from that height at least a bit. Brown could fall too, but I don't think anyone would argue he is more likely to do so than OBJ, no? So sure, if you want to lock down a top WR rather than a top RB, roll the dice and go for OBJ at 1.02. But if you take him before Brown, I'll think you've made a mistake :D

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Tiptoes posted:

Misses first four games of his rookie season to a hamstring injury, then sits out this years OTAs with sore hamstrings? Yikes. You don't gamble with your first pick and OBJ is a gamble. If you have the 1.01 and you take him over AB then I don't even. One is a proven PPR monster, another is an already injury plagued sophomore with one 12 game stretch of AB like numbers.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

Zypher posted:

Thanks for all the responses. Now that I've had a chance to sober up, I really don't think it's that bad for a 14 person league. AJ Green had a few setbacks last year but I wouldn't consider him injury prone. Brandin Cooks broke his hand -- not a recurring injury -- and all signs point to becoming a target monster in that offense.

L Murray, CJ Spiller, and A. Foster are all risky as RB2s, but I consider them pretty decent value at 4th - 6th round picks. Spiller was a bit of a knee-jerk pick as I thought I'd be taking Kelce in the 5th (but he got snagged right in front of me).

Oof Foster in the sixth? That's a missed opportunity right there.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Tiptoes posted:

OBJ is a monster but he also missed time last year with bad hamstrings and now they're flaring up again this year. If you wanna go WR at 1 in a PPR league it's probably Antonio Brown.

EDIT: Beaten.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

OBJ is a monster but he also missed time last year with bad hamstrings and now they're flaring up again this year. If you wanna go WR at 1 in a PPR league it's probably Antonio Brown.

EDIT: Beaten.

This but I say dez instead of brown

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Doltos posted:

The #1 rule in fantasy is don't grab good players in terrible offenses.

Who the gently caress says this?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You should not take OBJ over Antonio Brown in a PPR unless it has a weirdo reverse negative points bonus for going two straight seasons with at least 5 catches every single game or gives you bonuses for sick catches.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Also good players on bad teams can absolutely be contributors to your fantasy teams and that's a silly rule to strictly adhere to.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
ODB is completely unstoppable. It's hard to get any better than that. Being the best player in the league is definitely within his range of outcomes, so yeah I'm going to consider him at 1.01.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

ODB is completely unstoppable. It's hard to get any better than that. Being the best player in the league is definitely within his range of outcomes, so yeah I'm going to consider him at 1.01.

lol alright, can't argue with that

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Tiptoes posted:

The no. 1 rule of fantasy is actually 'don't overpay for last year's performance.' OBJ is an immense talent with a small sample size and an injury history. See also: Doug Martin, CJ Spiller, Keenan Allen.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Metapod posted:

This but I say dez instead of brown

Can't really argue with this either. Dez is one of the few guys in the league who sustains crazy touchdown numbers and I have a feeling Dallas is going to have to chuck it more this season. Him and Brown are my 1-2 with Julio at a not so distant third.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Ayudo posted:

The no. 1 rule of fantasy is actually 'don't overpay for last year's performance.' OBJ is an immense talent with a small sample size and an injury history. See also: Doug Martin, CJ Spiller, Keenan Allen.

I was about to make a joke about how Doug Martin is still be overdafted because of 1 game but then I looked at his game log from his rookie year and he was pretty loving good.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Ayudo posted:

This is true but OBJ seems generational. I'm not taking the chance at his ADP but I don't blame anyone who does.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Dandy Kaiser posted:

This is true but OBJ seems generational. I'm not taking the chance at his ADP but I don't blame anyone who does.

The argument is that he is considering ODB at 1.01 which is kinda crazy.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
He's prob gonna be a bust, but Doug Martin is worth a super late pick gamble. I mean, incase this Winston thing ends up turning out.

But late.

As far as OBJ goes, MAYBE I'm still butthurt about drafting CJ Spiller in the first round a few years ago when he was gonna be the best thing since sliced butter...but no more risky 1st rounders for me.

89 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 9, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Spoeank posted:

The argument is that he is considering ODB at 1.01 which is kinda crazy.

In certain keeper formats I would do it in a heartbeat, bot not so much in a re-draft. Maybe in a 10-team or less, since then you can go WR/RB at the turn, but even then, not in a keeper, I'd probably go Brown.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

89 posted:

He's prob gonna be a bust, but Doug Martin is worth a super late pick gamble. I mean, incase this Winston thing ends up turning out.

But late.

As far as OBJ goes, MAYBE I'm still butthurt about drafting CJ Spiller in the first round a few years ago when he was gonna be the best thing since sliced butter...but no more risky 1st rounders for me.
Don't gamble with your first pick is the true #1 rule of FF.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

cheese posted:

At the time, CJ seemed like almost a sure bet and was a monster the previous year.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

cheese posted:

Yea.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

That said, I was in a league where someone won by picking as many Cowboys as they could. loving DeMarco and Dez :ohdear:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

I'm going to have as much Doug Martin exposure as I can get get for cheap. Last year he looked healthy and good again but gameflow completely ruined him (bucs ran the ball the least in the 4th qtr by a fair margin iirc). If the bucs can somehow stay in more games.... or dare I say even have some late leads then Martin should outproduce his adp.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Papes posted:

I'm going to have as much Doug Martin exposure as I can get get for cheap. Last year he looked healthy and good again but gameflow completely ruined him (bucs ran the ball the least in the 4th qtr by a fair margin iirc). If the bucs can somehow stay in more games.... or dare I say even have some late leads then Martin should outproduce his adp.
Agreed, he is one of those guys that should outperform ADP because of a change in how his team will be. I'm the same way with Boldin. The 49'ers will be worse, playing from behind a ton and Kaep is a poo poo QB who can only target his first read (Boldin).

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
For my work league next Sunday, what rankings should I print out for everybody so they can mark off players as they are drafted? I'm not printing off anything like FootballGuys or BeerSheets, AND I'm thinking about going ahead and printing them off tonight even though it's next Sunday cause...they need to do their own homework.

Where should I print off?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

89 posted:

For my work league next Sunday, what rankings should I print out for everybody so they can mark off players as they are drafted? I'm not printing off anything like FootballGuys or BeerSheets, AND I'm thinking about going ahead and printing them off tonight even though it's next Sunday cause...they need to do their own homework.

Where should I print off?

Why not just print them off alphabetically?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Fantasypros average of Chet Gresham and Sean Beazley (sneak peak: Jeremy Hill is a 1st-rounder)

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

'

ZIGfried posted:

Oof Foster in the sixth? That's a missed opportunity right there.

I missed this. I took Foster in the 7th round. Rotoworld has said there is some growing optimism that he may only miss a month. Am I A. Stupid for believing such reports are possible or B. Stupid because even if he misses "only a month" that's still way too long to justify spending a 7th round pick on a guy that will miss my first 4-5 games?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Anyone see this TE for the Vikings today? Looks pretty good I think his name is Rudolph might be a good sleeper

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

He's poop do not draft DO NOT DRAFT

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

cheese posted:

:drat:
Why does Big Ben keep talking up Wheaton? I really like Bryant but that makes me a little nervous. Just smoke and mirrors or what?

Ben is trying to pickup Martavis for cheap in his fantasy league

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

OBJ is the second best player in the league so he should be drafted 1.02 accordingly.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
OBJ is a cool and fun player to watch

He also plays for a New York team which means he's been overexposed to death in record time, so I'm already sick of him and hope he fails

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

When I heard the Eagles wanted to move up for ODB in last year's draft I hated the idea and wanted to stay put to draft Marquise Lee.

Ty1990 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
ODB seems like a generational talent and also gets bonus points for being extremely handsome. However I couldnt imagine taking him over Brown, Dez, Julio, or Thomas

• Locked thread