Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I live in Omaha as well, but I commute to Lincoln and the other day at work they were trying to sell a job candidate on the area and said Lincoln was a nice city and not full of crime like a big city like Omaha :allears: I'm from DC originally so I just quietly chuckled to myself.

Flyover states aren't bad if you've never lived anywhere else but having to drive three hours to Kansas City to experience anything remotely like a city is slowly killing me.

On the plus side, you can fly from Omaha to Chicago or Denver for around 200 dollars round trip on SouthWest. Utilize that low COL for something.

Possible bad with money story:

Coworker is possibly taking a 2 year relocation to the UK for a job, and their gf wants a 10k custom ring to prove that their dedicated to their relationship.

That same female is planning on hiking that area in Europe because she liked the movie The Way, despite never backpacking anywhere in their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

cowofwar posted:

drat, I covered the cost of my undergrad by working summers full time, during the year part time and co-ops. I got paid to do my PhD and came out with $50k in the bank.

Paying $100k for an undergrad degree is insane.

$100k is about average for an undergrad degree. For instance, take the cost of attendance at the University of Washington: https://admit.washington.edu/Paying/Cost#freshmen-transfer . $27,304/year for a student living away from their parents' home, for tuition and modest but sustainable living expenses. It's not really feasible to cover that by working through school; even at a mythical student-friendly 40 hours/week job paying $11/hour, with absolutely no time off for holidays, finals, or anything else, you're nearly $5k/year short in gross pay.

Now, it's certainly possible to defray some of that cost, but you're talking about kids who are barely out of high school, who grew up in families that decided, "sure, I could set aside some money for my kids' college, but I think I'd like a boat. Also, state governments are bloated and I should vote for that guy who promises massive cuts."

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Space Gopher posted:

$100k is about average for an undergrad degree. For instance, take the cost of attendance at the University of Washington: https://admit.washington.edu/Paying/Cost#freshmen-transfer . $27,304/year for a student living away from their parents' home, for tuition and modest but sustainable living expenses. It's not really feasible to cover that by working through school; even at a mythical student-friendly 40 hours/week job paying $11/hour, with absolutely no time off for holidays, finals, or anything else, you're nearly $5k/year short in gross pay.

Now, it's certainly possible to defray some of that cost, but you're talking about kids who are barely out of high school, who grew up in families that decided, "sure, I could set aside some money for my kids' college, but I think I'd like a boat. Also, state governments are bloated and I should vote for that guy who promises massive cuts."
I guess a lot of people want to have the residence experience but I couldn't afford it so I lived at home and commuted the 40-60min each way. I know a lot of people don't have that option but it can save a huge amount of money.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

marchantia posted:

Don't ruffle your feathers about it. There is a guy that always posts about his cheap COL near Des Moines I believe and gets poo poo on every time for some reason because lol fly over states. Goons can't believe that anyone can truly be happy outside of an overpriced urban area full of people in their 20s. I live in the Madison, WI area for what it's worth. Not a booming metropolis but housing prices are reasonable outside the city center and me and my boyfriend have good jobs that we enjoy. Haters are just gonna hate.
This is so true. We recently bought a house ~45 minutes out from Toronto (Halton region), and every time I mention it to friends/relatives scoff at me as if I'm an idiot for not wanting a $700,000 mortgage on a 70-year old house that doesn't even have a garage. Apparently it's unthinkable that not everyone wants to live in Toronto and get caught up in the over-inflated real estate market. I've got a small mortgage, a great view of the Niagara Escarpment, and lots of hiking trails. I can live with that.

On a BWM note- the Toronto Star did an article on people who managed to buy under $500K in Toronto. I don't care what anyone says- buying a beat up "fixer upper" house is a terrible idea if you're barely able to afford a $500,000 house (unless you're a really handy person who buys low, guts it, then sells it at a profit shortly afterwards).

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 9, 2015

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002

Bisty Q. posted:

To be fair, the 'travel medicine' scam is pretty insidious. Regular doctors (as in, ones covered by your insurance) refuse to write scripts for or carry vaccines that have suddenly been declared as 'travel', so you have to pay some scam prescription mill "Doctor" $200 for a consult plus $Texas for the actual vaccines.

But I mean, for gently caress's sake, deal with it and go to a doctor, don't buy injectable drugs on the Internet :psyduck:

What? In Seattle you just go to the county health clinic and they will hook you up with everything you need when you travel. Never heard about this.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

Sure, but almost no one in the US pays the sticker price to go to college. That's what financial aid is for (and it's much more accessible than most people realize). The average student loan debt is only around $28,000.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

2/3s of my undergraduate class didn't pay a cent in tuition. The average debt(for those who actually borrowed) upon graduation is $20k, not $100k.

If you're paying full tuition your parents are either rich enough to afford it or you're a retard who failed financial aid somehow.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 9, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I didn't have to use financial aid, but can someone elaborate on how it reduces your total bill? Beyond things like grants. I was under the empression it was a full tuition agreement with a mixture of subsidized or unsubsidized personal and parent loans.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

BossRighteous posted:

I didn't have to use financial aid, but can someone elaborate on how it reduces your total bill? Beyond things like grants. I was under the empression it was a full tuition agreement with a mixture of subsidized or unsubsidized personal and parent loans.

Grants are part of the financial aid process so its kind of impossible to elaborate on avoiding full tuition when receiving financial aid without them.

Like, when you do a FASFA you can qualify directly for grants and things. Also work/study.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

TLG James posted:

That same female is planning on hiking that area in Europe because she liked the movie The Way, despite never backpacking anywhere in their life.

Oh, the movie where Emilio dies on the hike within the first 5 minutes of the movie? Did she jump into the movie late or something?

gently caress vaccine costs. "You probably don't need these handful of vaccines for $500, but if you do need them and pass here, you're probably going to die."

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Living in a big city sucks and I would much rather live in a semi rural area. I enjoy outdoor activities though.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Stealthgerbil posted:

Living in a big city sucks and I would much rather live in a semi rural area. I enjoy outdoor activities though.

Big Cities: Devoid of Outdoor Activities.

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Delusional fat-rear end drops $15,000 on a non-refundable deposit so he can climb mount everest.

https://np.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/3gav3y/i_just_paid_a_15000_nonrefundable_deposit_to/

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

What a total moron. At least he won't make it past basecamp so he's not that likely to die.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Saros posted:

What a total moron. At least he won't make it past basecamp so he's not that likely to die.
The Everest tourist industry is very familiar with people like him. Most won't show up, some will show up and get rejected due to lack of proper gear/equipment. Some will be told to stop because they are out of sync with the group. Either way, the money is paid. Very few people actually summit. But you can pay $15,000 to make a "I've climbed Everest" facebook post. Which is what that guy is essentially looking to do, show off.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Nitrox posted:

The Everest tourist industry is very familiar with people like him. Most won't show up, some will show up and get rejected due to lack of proper gear/equipment. Some will be told to stop because they are out of sync with the group. Either way, the money is paid. Very few people actually summit. But you can pay $15,000 to make a "I've climbed Everest" facebook post. Which is what that guy is essentially looking to do, show off.

Aren't there less expensive tour packages which only go up to the first base camp? I'm pretty sure I had heard of something like that.

Of course, that would require you to have the presence of mind to admit that you don't have what it takes to get anywhere near the summit.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

BossRighteous posted:

Financial aid includes need based grants as well as subsidized work study jobs. At my school students with less than ~60k/yr parental income basically got their entire tuition waived.

Most schools have online calculators these days you can use to see how much you'd pay with your particular circumstances.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 10, 2015

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Cockmaster posted:

Of course, that would require you to have the presence of mind to admit that you don't have what it takes to get anywhere near the summit.

He claims later to have read Into thin air and it inspired him. How the gently caress that book would inspire someone to think climbing everest is a good idea is beyond me.

Best comment in the thread is 'green boots are boring these days, please wear something distinctive and make sure to die in the cave'.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Saros posted:

He claims later to have read Into thin air and it inspired him. How the gently caress that book would inspire someone to think climbing everest is a good idea is beyond me.

Best comment in the thread is 'green boots are boring these days, please wear something distinctive and make sure to die in the cave'.
That is in fact, the best comment

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Nitrox posted:

On the other hand, a young man in any semblance of physical shape has a good chance of making the Everest summit considering that there is apparently nothing especially technical about it now that guidelines and ladders are up all over the place. 70-80 year old men and women have made it. Assuming a blizzard or avalanche or high altitude edema doesn't kill him he might come back with a daring tale of following a Sherpa's butt while breathing bottled oxygen.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Boot and Rally posted:

Big Cities: Devoid of Outdoor Activities.

Chicago's outdoor activities consist of an hour trip to the airport

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

mastershakeman posted:

Uhhh travel to bean, stare at bean, take picture of bean! That's.... uhhhh... one!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Blinkman987 posted:

Uhhh travel to bean, stare at bean, take picture of bean! That's.... uhhhh... one!

Friend of mine visited recently and said there were some great cycling paths and parks.

Bwm: my young coworker wants to buy his first car and is obsessing over buying a Camaro from the 90s. Also keeps talking about burn outs. He's 22 so I really feel like he should be old enough to know better. Everyone on my team is trying really hard to educate him on bad decisions. We're in Seattle so car ownership is pretty optional and he gets by fine with the bus as it is. Plus we all work downtown so parking would also be an arm and a leg.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tigntink posted:

We're in Seattle so car ownership is pretty optional and he gets by fine with the bus as it is. Plus we all work downtown so parking would also be an arm and a leg.

Just because you own a car doesn't mean you have to commute in it. I used to work in downtown Seattle and took the bus despite owning a car. I still never take my car downtown if I can help it.

Some people just like cars and a 90s Camaro would be dirt loving cheap. Not my style at all and they're pretty crappy cars, but more power to him if he can easily afford one and wants a toy/project.

By American standards Seattle has pretty good public transit, but by Euro/Asian standards it still sucks. And a car is still a really handy thing to have in Seattle if you ever want to leave the central neighborhoods, or the city entirely -- which you should because one of the best parts of Seattle is that awesome nature of all varieties is only an hour or two away.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 10, 2015

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Oh my god don't start car debate again

Please

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you replace car with horse/parking space with hitching post etc it's kinda funny.

We need more horsechat is what I'm trying to say.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

mastershakeman posted:

This is 100% false. You should try living in any other Midwestern city.

Beach, lakefront paths, a billion softball fields, riverwalk, kayaking (with bonus don't fall in the river or you die of poison minigame!)

The new rock walls at Maggie Daley look cool but at $25 for a day pass or whatever, they're definitely bad with money.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nail Rat posted:

Beach, lakefront paths, a billion softball fields, riverwalk, kayaking (with bonus don't fall in the river or you die of poison minigame!)

The new rock walls at Maggie Daley look cool but at $25 for a day pass or whatever, they're definitely bad with money.

The other ones you can actually get away from buildings without being stuck in traffic for an hour or two, that's the big difference. Beaches, lakefront paths, etc aren't the great outdoors and are either crammed with people or frozen over.

I say this as a guy who has a kayak on the beach, other than fishing in it there just isn't much to do/see from a natural perspective.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tigntink posted:

Friend of mine visited recently and said there were some great cycling paths and parks.

Bwm: my young coworker wants to buy his first car and is obsessing over buying a Camaro from the 90s. Also keeps talking about burn outs. He's 22 so I really feel like he should be old enough to know better. Everyone on my team is trying really hard to educate him on bad decisions. We're in Seattle so car ownership is pretty optional and he gets by fine with the bus as it is. Plus we all work downtown so parking would also be an arm and a leg.

A 90s Camaro is cheap and reliable except for the interior bits which are GM partsbin poo poo, so it's not that bad with money, especially if he still does his commuting on the bus. He could be trying to buy an E46 M3 or something.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Nail Rat posted:

The rock walls are seven bux which is great price for rock walls.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A 90s Camaro is cheap and reliable except for the interior bits which are GM partsbin poo poo, so it's not that bad with money, especially if he still does his commuting on the bus. He could be trying to buy an E46 M3 or something.

I'm mainly concerned because he still doesn't even have enough money to care for himself. He lives with his parents but still manages to beg food off of his coworkers. Kid needs more time to mature. It's also his first real non mall job and we get paid monthly.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Uncle Jam posted:

The rock walls are seven bux which is great price for rock walls.

That's pretty awesome and I was misinformed then.

quote:

The other ones you can actually get away from buildings without being stuck in traffic for an hour or two, that's the big difference.

It really depends where you live and where you're trying to go. Getting to Wisconsin from somewhere north of the loop isn't hard unless you're trying to leave in rush hour. But yeah obviously no hiking/camping outside of a 45 minute drive. I'll take that once in awhile over needing to drive everywhere for day to day life every single day like a rural place(or even the suburbs), though.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

mastershakeman posted:

The other ones you can actually get away from buildings without being stuck in traffic for an hour or two, that's the big difference. Beaches, lakefront paths, etc aren't the great outdoors and are either crammed with people or frozen over.

I say this as a guy who has a kayak on the beach, other than fishing in it there just isn't much to do/see from a natural perspective.

Eh, the trails at LeBagh/Forest Glen or somewhere like Palos are quick(ish) to get to and give a reasonable approximation of being out in nature.

Nail Rat posted:

It really depends where you live and where you're trying to go. Getting to Wisconsin from somewhere north of the loop isn't hard unless you're trying to leave in rush hour. But yeah obviously no hiking/camping outside of a 45 minute drive. I'll take that once in awhile over needing to drive everywhere for day to day life every single day like a rural place(or even the suburbs), though.

Bingo.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Tigntink posted:

Bwm: my young coworker wants to buy his first car and is obsessing over buying a Camaro from the 90s. Also keeps talking about burn outs.

Well, most 90s Camaros are owned by burnouts, so...

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I pay more to live in Colorado because the higher rent makes up for the fact that I have a completely insane amount of free, amazing things to do in every season. It's a GWM place. We don't need to rely on softball fields or whatever to boost the outdoor cred.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I like driving. It's great. I have a lovely 15 min commute and I listen to a podcast and it's cool. I can stop and get groceries on my way home from work and put them in my trunk and not have to schlep them on the bus. I've done the urban living thing and I really see the appeal for people, but it's still silly to say that there is no reason anyone in their right mind would live outside of a big city, let alone in a (gasp) rural area. There are pros and cons to both. But lol to approximation of nature. I get what you're saying, but I think you're missing the point.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
So I'm well aware that owning horses is a bad with money thing. But what about people who make a business taking care other peoples horses? It feels like a bad with money thing when your business and income rely on other peoples bad decisions, except pay day loan places seem to do just that. I guess it would come down to if you actually run it as a business first, and not some hobby level thing where you barely cover costs, telling yourself being near horses is reward enough?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
On NPR there is a story about people being good with money:

Watchdog: Consumers 'More Responsible' With Credit Card Debt posted:

In the years before the Great Recession, many Americans piled up too much credit card debt. Now, they seem to be a little wiser about using their plastic. But it can be tough staying disciplined while taking the kids for back-to-school shopping.

The Great Recession has taught Americans a valuable lesson, according to the country's top consumer watchdog.

"Coming out of the financial crisis, consumers have been more responsible about thinking about how to approach their credit card debt," says Richard Cordray, who heads the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

He told the Senate Banking Committee recently that Americans aren't carrying as much credit-card debt as they used to. And people are getting better at paying off their credit cards each month.

In the comment section, however, there is this bad with money story:

DarkHorseSki posted:

Once we took the credit cards away from my wife (a multi-year trial of fiscal pain and disaster), we were able to get our credit cards all paid off and kept current. I wonder how many families got their fiscal houses in order through similar, draconian, means?

DarkHorseSki posted:

The spouse is on an allowance. After spending over $140000 with little or nothing to show for it, and not being the primary breadwinner, she doesn't have any room to argue about what is fair or unfair.

$140k of credit card spending :staredog:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mr.Radar posted:

On NPR there is a story about people being good with money:

In the comment section, however, there is this bad with money story:

$140k of credit card spending :staredog:

My mom is like that. She literally has zero self control or self preservation. She was untreated bipolar for years and would go manic and spend like crazy. My dad had to cut up the credit cards and basically only gave her a cash allowance for years. Same with my MIL actually. And that would be why i'm not having biological children. Bipolar disorders manifest in really hosed up ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

140k in debt aside, "we agreed as a couple this one wouldn't work so they don't get any say in the finances" is some pretty hosed up financial/emotional abuse poo poo.

• Locked thread