Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I dunno if I will ever read the original but I will say as someone enjoying the show that I don't know that graphic rape scenes are needed in my wacky skeleton adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

welcome to japan in which the systems by which vengeance and karma work are loving terrifying. we'll see you on the way out of anime in general.

Seriously I don't get how this could really be worse than anything that Apocalypse Zero or Genocyber detailed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Are people discussing content that happens later on? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be reading these posts or not.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Are people discussing content that happens later on? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be reading these posts or not.

Yes they are. I'm not really sure why they are doing it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sharkopath posted:

Yah! Its weird and torpedoed the interest I had in watching the show for a while because of the transitive relation as the original source.

I'll get around to giving it a fair shake sometime though.
Did you make it past the second episode which has this loving scene

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I read the comic and stopped because it didn't grab me but people I respect say the anime is good.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sharkopath posted:

1400 words describing the rape and murder of a woman in graphic detail but its all cool because at the end the bad guy dies too!!

shut up pussy

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm incredibly flustered by the rapemurder liking badasses. drat.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sharkopath posted:

I'm incredibly flustered by the rapemurder liking badasses. drat.

that's interesting because i haven't seen any of that in the show

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That's amazing.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Sharkopath posted:

I read the comic and stopped because it didn't grab me but people I respect say the anime is good.

The comic is rear end because it completely skipped the scene where our Overlord was talking to the demon guy and said "drat I wish we could conquer the world"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

THE PENETRATOR posted:

The comic is rear end because it completely skipped the scene where our Overlord was talking to the demon guy and said "drat I wish we could conquer the world"

Yah I bet just having the vo and sound design can help a lot with making it dope too, but maybe I'll just wait to see how people feel after the run is over. Or maybe not. :twisted:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the manga is mostly good for the funny faces.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

When I am ADTRW IK, I will make that the only rule, and then I will make the Official Something Awful Sadpanda Thread.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Huh? It did not do that where I read it.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Wondered why this thread had so many posts all of a sudden and ofc it had something to do with rape.

Please don't get so bent out of shape when bad things happen in fiction.

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 9, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Wondered why this thread had so many posts all of a sudden and ofc it had something to do with rape.

Please don't get so bent out of shape when bad things happen in fiction.

Lol, people are allowed to go "this is bad" when bad writing happens.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The writing of that sequence was pretty good though. The actions within were abhorrent, but it did exactly what it intended to do, which is good writing...

THE PENETRATOR posted:

The worst problem with the scene is we already knew the guy was basically that horrible, from previous chapters, so it was completely unnecessary. you don't need to show us this, we get it

... if not for this, but it seems almost like it's a thing whenever Japan writes anything, they write it 3-4 times.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The latest chapter set up a great situation, though. Novel spoilers: The strongest individuals in the country are going to go after Sebas while Ains is present. This is the grand accomplishment he has been looking for to make Momon a legend. What's more, they might be strong enough that Ains' warrior disguise isn't sufficient, and this is all taking place in a populated area. I mean sure, they clearly aren't a physical threat to Ains or probably even Sebas, but Ains' plans could completely fail if he gets revealed publicly.

Also, why the hell is anyone surprised when Evil McRaperape demonstrated just how much he loved to rape shortly before he got killed? I like Overlord, but that profound lack of anything resembling subtlety isn't exactly new.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 9, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Mordaedil posted:

Huh? It did not do that where I read it.

I think it was more that the scene was there but half of the dialogue was left out, and then the demon guy said"we're taking that jewel box" to everyone else with no context and it was really bad

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I think it was more that the scene was there but half of the dialogue was left out, and then the demon guy said"we're taking that jewel box" to everyone else with no context and it was really bad

Agreed, but it might have to do with the medium. It's not a good idea to have text bubbles taking up most of the space wherein you are presenting a narrative with pictures. It also would be easier to cut out most of it when translating it to English to fit all that text into the bubbles.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I *ungh* think that *ah* the writing of the rape *ungh* scene was really *UNGHHH* exquisite and that anyone who *OH* complains about it is a cultureless gaijin ahhh yeah.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I *ungh* think that *ah* the writing of the rape *ungh* scene was really *UNGHHH* exquisite and that anyone who *OH* complains about it is a cultureless gaijin ahhh yeah.
Oh for sure man

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

When I am ADTRW IK, I will make that the only rule, and then I will make the Official Something Awful Sadpanda Thread.

Kobe Bryant on the Lakers. Now that's paper.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Anatharon posted:

Actually, contrary to the belief in this thread, there's no rape involved.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Kobe Bryant on the Lakers. Now that's paper.

lol

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Watching the latest episode:

Albedo, dear god. :catstare: :laffo:

These adventurers are a pretty fun group.

Slow episode over all but still pretty enjoyable.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Watching the latest episode:

Slow episode over all but still pretty enjoyable.

Ugh wish I was at home right now.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One big thing in the latest episode is that Momonga has absolutely no skill with a blade: he is using pure strength to attack.
On his info sheet in the light novel, he does not have a very high physical attack stat compared to his other stats. In fact, it is his lowest stat, around a 35 on a 1-100 scale
It is just that everyone else is very weak.
He has no skill with his chosen weapons, but his relatively titanic strength means any strike is lethal.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The swords must have a pretty decent damage to them too. I suppose the lack of skill explains his fairly clumsy attacks.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That pillow... :catstare:
is amazing. I wonder if they'll start actually selling them. :)

I really want to make a bad joke about boning.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I figured he meant the pillow. I've only seen the one in the manga but I definitely want one.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I really love the tone this show has. Like, this world is "real" to all the people who exist in it, but Momonga is still like "Well it is/was a computer game" so there's an air of relaxation and curiosity in lieu of melodrama

also why do so many girls want to gently caress a dickless skeleton

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I really love the tone this show has. Like, this world is "real" to all the people who exist in it, but Momonga is still like "Well it is/was a computer game" so there's an air of relaxation and curiosity in lieu of melodrama

He is essentially their beloved god, and a pretty nice guy besides. The bigger question is why none of the men do.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think only two girls want to gently caress the skeleton. Shalltear because shes a necrophile and Albedo because Ainz is a nerd who wrote fan fiction on her character sheet.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 11, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'll be shocked if at least one of them doesn't die before the end of the season.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

OnimaruXLR posted:

You talk like you wouldn't want him to plunder your Tomb of Nazarick

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ainz paranoia is probably because he's a not totally optimal level 100 character due to his RP-build but given that his ridiculous raid dungeon HQ was able to wipe full raid parties of max-level characters back in the game world even before he and his guildmates had to lift a finger you'd think he'd not give a poo poo if people saw the tomb.

Like, what're the yokals going to do? Even if there's level 80-100 equivalent people out there the Tomb should be a loving death trap for them; even if they're that strong/good they can't know the world's system as well as Ainz, and they sure as gently caress don't get to rez if they get killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Ainz paranoia is probably because he's a not totally optimal level 100 character due to his RP-build but given that his ridiculous raid dungeon HQ was able to wipe full raid parties of max-level characters back in the game world even before he and his guildmates had to lift a finger you'd think he'd not give a poo poo if people saw the tomb.

Like, what're the yokals going to do? Even if there's level 80-100 equivalent people out there the Tomb should be a loving death trap for them; even if they're that strong/good they can't know the world's system as well as Ainz, and they sure as gently caress don't get to rez if they get killed.

He can't rely on the monsters in the tomb respawning now though, they could be worn down and defeated by attrition.

• Locked thread