Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Same here, even though I've also been told the Castillian Spanish I learned would be completely useless in any Latin American country. Oy vey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kopijeger posted:

Also, it is a bit surprising that Spanish is more popular than Italian in France. Any particular reason that might be?

Easy answer, In the French school system English classes are mandatory (either as 1st or 2nd language), Spanish or German classes are mandatory (either as 1st of 2nd language).

Italian (and other languages) classes are optional classes for literary students (as 3rd language). There can be a multitude of different 3rd language options, Italian is however the most common third language class in France, I think all school proposes it. My public school only had italian classes available, while a private high school in Paris I knew had Italian and Japanese classes available.

I chose German as 1rst language, English as 2nd and Italian as 3rd.

So basically the French school system prioritize other languages.

In my experience, students snub German hard, because it's hard/ugly/etc... I picked German first because I had German classes in primary school, probably in an effort to get more kids to pick german. I think it worked as in middle school the class quite full, but in high school there weren't a lot left.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 9, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Are there any foreign language maps for regions outside of Europe? I went to the website for those but all they have are European ones.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Same here, even though I've also been told the Castillian Spanish I learned would be completely useless in any Latin American country. Oy vey.

I never really took any courses, I just dove right in and started consuming Spanish-language media, regardless of it being Castilian or Latin American. Other than the accent and all the weird regional slang words, the difference isn't all that big.

My method worked in the sense that I can now read basically anything in Spanish, and understand it if they speak clearly, but since I almost never come across any Spanish speakers my conversational skills are poor.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

Well, you've got the fundamentals down, now you just need to watch some telenovelas and you're set.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't worry, I'm currently learning ancient Greek, which risks nothing wrt modern usage!!!

Also it's a bit like learning Esperanto because the current suicide victim's great-grand-father spoke it briefly.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

steinrokkan posted:

Don't worry, I'm currently learning ancient Greek, which risks nothing wrt modern usage!!!

I forgot to mention the ancient language option: a choice between Latin and Ancient Greek. but it's completely optional.

College has some interesting choice of what they call minority language classes: Berber, Tamil, Nahuatl, Breton, Occitan...

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

That's bullshit. There are probably more grammatical differences between American and European Spanish than between American and British English, but overall it's a comparable situation. And remembering to not use half of the grammatical tenses and modes you learned isn't that hard.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've always figured you could converse with most of the (non-asian) world with just English, French, Spanish, and German. Hence I've learned atleast a bit of each, 5 years of french immersion schooling, a semester of weekly spanish classes, and 2 semesters of semiweekly german classes. I'd like to learn Mandarin too but learning a whole different alphabet/writing system is a bit of a hurdle.

Anyone have language land coverage maps handy?

3peat
May 6, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Spanish is perceived as more useful since it is a major world language, whereas Italian is limited to Italy. That was one of the things that motivated me to start learning it a few years ago. And even though it's actually useless to me professionally, in terms of 'personal development' I certainly don't regret it.

Next on the list is German.

Italian is waay more fun to speak than any other european language tho. Spanish (the Spain version) sounds throaty and hoarse to me, like not nearly as bad as germanic languages, but by latin languages standards it sounds pretty bad.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3peat posted:

Italian is waay more fun to speak than any other european language tho. Spanish (the Spain version) sounds throaty and hoarse to me, like not nearly as bad as germanic languages, but by latin languages standards it sounds pretty bad.

Italian does have a sort of sing-song cadence to it. I can understand that a lot of people like that. As for throaty, nothing is more throaty than the French R.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

3peat posted:

How do you know? Have you tried them all? Would also like to know what you mean by throaty and hoarse Germanic languages. You better not just be substituting Dutch and German for Germanic. :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

3peat posted:

Accept the fact that you are Slavic, or die.

Also anybody who had to memorize Goethe or Schiller knows that German is a beautiful, rhyming language.
(Either that or playing Gabriel Knight 1)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

In my experience, students snub German hard, because it's hard/ugly/etc... I picked German first because I had German classes in primary school, probably in an effort to get more kids to pick german. I think it worked as in middle school the class quite full, but in high school there weren't a lot left.

German isn't ugly at all, I've always thought that was bullshit. I'm pretty sure the problem is just that some people still automatically conjure up images of jackbooted SS officers screaming orders when they think of German. Any language is going to be ugly if that's the sort of association you make.

It reminds me of that rage comic that was floating around a few years ago, where they listed the word for 'butterfly' in different languages. It had the German guy screaming 'Schmetterling' at the end, as if we were naturally supposed to consider that a harsh/ugly word. Thing is, when you look at the actual pronunciation it is arguably smoother and softer than 'mariposa' or 'papillon'. I would say Spanish in particular is actually a harsher language in comparison. People are simply transposing their stereotypical view of German culture onto the language, and the same goes for the Latin languages that are inevitably seen as being more 'romantic'.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Schmetterling

Try pronouncing that in whatever tone while not sounding evil

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Right, the Germans led the Romance period, and were critical in inventing critical culture, but because the English have no idea how to pronounce Schmetterling, they are ridiculed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Accept the fact that you are Slavic, or die.

I heard they say 'da' for yes. Yeah, it's basically a Slavic language.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

awesome-express posted:

Try pronouncing that in whatever tone while not sounding evil

It's extremely easy, actually.

In comparison - British English sounds like a language invented by a six year old moron, and it's shocking any colonial nation accepted this infantile language in any extent.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
"My Struggle" - look at that, all of those harsh consonants, ambiguously placed and pronounced.

Compare to the simple elegance of "Mein Kampf" - like champagne tripping off the tongue in comparison.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

English is just kind of a bland, mushy language, not really noteworthy in any sense. I don't find it to be particularly ugly or beautiful, but that could just be because I'm so used to it.

As for 'infantile', I do have to say that it sort of resembles the way my two-year-old niece speaks, but that's probably mostly due to the very peculiar way that the letter R is pronounced in English.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Phlegmish posted:

I heard they say 'da' for yes. Yeah, it's basically a Slavic language.

Interestingly, Slovenians say "ja" for yes.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Also that in british english all their slang sounds like what a kid would call something xe didn't know the true name of - wheelie bin etc.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Speaking of crimes of the English language...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Also that in british english all their slang sounds like what a kid would call something xe didn't know the true name of - wheelie bin etc.

You are right, except the "xe" part, which is a terrible attrocity.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Disco Infiva posted:

Interestingly, Slovenians say "ja" for yes.

And the Slovenes are the Germans of the Slavic world (edging out even the Czechs), so that just proves my point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Slovenes invented Leibach the band, they can't complain about their language.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
All indo-european languages use consonants in a dumb way, like -ck what is that poo poo. There's just too many of them. Words should be at least 50% vowels.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

doverhog posted:

All indo-european languages use consonants in a dumb way, like -ck what is that poo poo. There's just too many of them. Words should be at least 50% vowels.

Цврц.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lets add some maps to the language chat.

ps English will outlast the other spoken languages!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

but that's probably mostly due to the very peculiar way that the letter R is pronounced in English.
That varies highly depending on what dialect of English you're speaking.

South-Eastern British English and most of the antipodes has a strange way about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-B0pOpGMnQ

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Trabisnikof posted:

We have no data about what languages they speak in China and Japan.

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

What the hell is up with Malta? English is an official language. Also French is an official language of Luxembourg.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trabisnikof posted:

Writing system, right?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Writing systems presumably, with green being latin, red being cyrillic, and blue being arabic, and dark gray being hangul. The other colors are bit mysterious to me though. India is lumped together with Laos? Ethiopia with greece?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Presumably, black is "other"

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
Is this politically loaded because northern cyprus is the same color as greece?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my dad posted:

Writing system, right?

Correct!

With Bonus Key:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I'm guessing brown is both Latin and Cyrillic, light blue is both latin and Arabic maybe? Black is the unique cases of Amharic, Armenian, Hebrew, and Georgian (and Greek, slightly less unique).

I would love to know how light green is defined, though.

edit: yay I got it

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ghengilhar posted:

What the hell is up with Malta? English is an official language. Also French is an official language of Luxembourg.

It's not actually about foreign languages but about those that aren't one's mother tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
loving animals in China, they were never colonized, and now they don't even know what an alphabet is. Time to nuke them to correct the historical mistake.