Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Pulled it out of the garage it's been hiding in for the last 3 years:

Sorry little buddy, I won't leave you anywhere again. :glomp: Considering I did no preperation before putting it in there it's survived remarkably well. Battery was obviously deader than dead but at least hadn't leaked, 3/4 tyres were still up and the 4th is holding air at least temporarily. The interior didn't get trashed and as far as I can see no rodents have been nesting in it anywhere. Now I just need to pay a nice man to trailer it somewhere for me.

(The bonnet shut lines are hosed because somebody slammed it shut without checking if there was a wrench under there.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Raluek posted:

It finally looks kind of like a motor again! :woop:

Just gotta finish putting on the windage tray and oil pan and bolting down the intake for real (need the little gasket thingies for the steam tubes), then I can see how it plugs into this lil guy:

:hawaaaafap:

What's it going in?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Old and busted springs and old and busted bushings with a fresh one for reference. A lot of cleaning and painting ahead.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Truck got a new exhaust installed on Friday. Makes the 5.0 sound like a boss.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Itchy Itchiford posted:

:hawaaaafap:

What's it going in?

I got the CTS-V pan, windage tray, and pickup tube on today, and I torqued the steam tubes, front cover, and valley cover. Just gotta do the intake tomorrow. Oh yeah and the valvetrain.

It's going in this sad, tired machine:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Getting a full tune up on the Volvo, as I am taking it into the mountains on Friday. New Brakes/rotors/coolant tank (current one is leaking)/T-Belt/Oil change/coolant.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFsb4nlomR0

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Short idle clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bx5z7xdGuI

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Haha gently caress you Volvo XC90 T6! gently caress YOU AND YOUR lovely THERMOSTAT HOUSING.

Guess who did a Timing Belt change last night? :v:

edit*

Turns out a tap set, some nice copper tubing, and a metal elbow was all I needed to make the thermostat housing not lovely!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 11, 2015

smax
Nov 9, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Turns out a tap set, some nice copper tubing, and a metal elbow was all I needed to make the thermostat housing not lovely!

Copper tubing used how exactly? Might want to look into galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metals are not a good thing, particularly in the cooling system). You might be better off with a different type of metal or plastic to keep the insides of your engine from getting eaten away.

Who knows, I'm not an expert on the subject - it's just something you reeeeaaaallly want to be sure of.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

smax posted:

Copper tubing used how exactly? Might want to look into galvanic corrosion (dissimilar metals are not a good thing, particularly in the cooling system). You might be better off with a different type of metal or plastic to keep the insides of your engine from getting eaten away.

Who knows, I'm not an expert on the subject - it's just something you reeeeaaaallly want to be sure of.

Yeah, I looked it up, I should probably replace it soon, but with how I did it, I can get to the copper tubing in less than 10 minutes without spilling much coolant. It's all I had at the time. :\

smax
Nov 9, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, I looked it up, I should probably replace it soon, but with how I did it, I can get to the copper tubing in less than 10 minutes without spilling much coolant. It's all I had at the time. :\

It's not the piece of copper tubing I'm worried about, it's the rest of your engine that touches the coolant.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Cleaning phase begun. Scrubbed the top half of the axle, some miscellaneous parts and front driveshaft with a strong solution of TSP. just need to drain the gear oil and flip the axle and scrub the bottom, which should be easier. The top gets all that great seeping and weeping oil from the motor, the bottom just gets dirt and a much smaller amount of oil.

I'll probably pull the hood and drivers side fender before I paint anything so I can be economical with the POR 15. I'll even paint a section of the frame because I'm a mad man.

Edit: when I was under the truck pulling the front driveshaft, it sure was nice looking at that true black axle and hardware, a real source of pride and justified that extra effort. I wish I could just drive the truck into a shallow puddle of black paint however.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 12, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
5 trips to the parts store to trial-and-error find a belt which fits my car without the AC compressor. I should have just bought the lot and returned the ones I didn't need.

Vacuumed the AC in my other car, doesn't hold vacuum. Ordered some UV dye.

I hate broken air conditioning.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Raluek posted:

I think it's perfect just the way it is, but the nice thing about plastidip is that you don't have to commit.

Finally got around to trying the off brand plasti dip from Walmart. I thought I had grabbed black but apparently it's gunmetal flake.

I think I like it. Car still isn't squealing! Ended up throwing a new Gates belt on it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I liked the chrome better, but it looks good this way too.

Today I got the valvetrain installed, as well as the valve covers, fuel injectors/rails, and throttle body. Gettin' there!

Haven't decided which side the fpr is going to be on, so I might flip the fuel rail around.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Truck got a new exhaust installed on Friday. Makes the 5.0 sound like a boss.

That looks awesome.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
After loving up my wrap last week I gave it another go(took spoiler off completely this time) and it turned out pretty good.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Just checked fluids on my 1995 Nissan XE. Stupid twenty-year-old truck doesn't use up any fluids, even after its first long trip (~500 mi.) since I got it in 2009.
:argh: Wanna feed it some Lucas for the lifter rattle but it's full.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Buhbuhj posted:

After loving up my wrap last week I gave it another go(took spoiler off completely this time) and it turned out pretty good.

That looks really good!

Ordered a new key fob on ebay the other day. Showed up today and programmed it. So nice having a working fob again. drat I love this car.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Arriviste posted:

Just checked fluids on my 1995 Nissan XE. Stupid twenty-year-old truck doesn't use up any fluids, even after its first long trip (~500 mi.) since I got it in 2009.
:argh: Wanna feed it some Lucas for the lifter rattle but it's full.

Does that actually work? I've got a 93 D21 2.4.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Does that actually work? I've got a 93 D21 2.4.

I'll let you know if I ever get a chance to add it! I believe that someone in the AI Stupid Questions thread recommended it to me as a solution to try before replacement.
I think I'll ask the quick-lube place to add it at my next oil change before they refill it. (I'd rather change it myself but don't have a good place to do so.)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Cleaned and painted front drive shaft after installing a new u joint. Painted differential cover. Drained gear oil. I should have scrubbed down the rest of the axle but called it a night. Looks like all I have left is cleaning and painting the axle, getting new front brake hoses made, patching the hood hinge area on the inner fender, and installing and painting everything. Looks like two more weeks. Maybe just one if I can work nights.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Bought a 2000 Sierra, 4.8, Manual, 4x4, ECSB.
Diagnosed and ordered knock sensors, filled it with 94 as a precaution but I won't be driving it much until those get here.
Confirmed ABS light is cold solder in the solenoid pack, will be reflowing it next week.
Checked the front end out and became very loving glad it got trailered here and I didn't have to drive it the 300km trip home- LF wheel bearing and inner tie rod end are completely toast and both lower ball joints are seized.
Removed the original cabin filter and the ridiculous pile of poo poo from the HVAC box, launched half a pound of dust and dead bugs out of the vents when I hit the blower afterward, much of which ended up in my mouth (ugh)
And finally sold the old Optima out of the Lexus. Pretty good weekend all in all.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Buhbuhj posted:

The contrast looks good. I'm deathly afraid of trying anything for my car even though I want to get rid of the chrome so bad

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The good thing about vinyl is you don't gently caress up the paint underneath. When you rip it off there's not even really any residue left behind. It's very neat stuff to work with, you just need a really clean environment to work in. I had an area I thought was clean but I still have a couple bits of dirt stuck under mine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Replaced the front left ABS sensor because it was fukt.

this was entertaining:

In the process I discovered this:

oh and now the ABS kicks on twice as bad as it did before (for no reason) so there's that.

I also pulled the driver's door entirely apart trying to figure out why the gently caress my driver's side door power lock won't work.
There's no voltage to the actuator. Switch works, all the other doors work, just not driver's.
Continuity on all the circuits regarding that fucker are fine.

My conclusion: The "security module" must be toast. Goddamnit Ford.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
I put in speakers and a sub. I had to jigsaw risers. All vv exciting.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Replaced the front left ABS sensor because it was fukt.

this was entertaining:

In the process I discovered this:

oh and now the ABS kicks on twice as bad as it did before (for no reason) so there's that.

If there's no idiot light or trouble codes, chances are there's a problem with the gap between the end of the sensor and the tone ring on at least one wheel. I'd recommend checking the condition of the teeth on the rings inside each front rotor as well as the mating surfaces where the sensors attach to the spindle. A little bit of rust or debris between the two is all it takes to change the signal enough fool the computer into engaging the ABS. I don't see it happen on many Ford trucks, but GM trucks are notorious for it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tommychu posted:

Bought a 2000 Sierra, 4.8, Manual, 4x4, ECSB.

Checked the front end out and became very loving glad it got trailered here and I didn't have to drive it the 300km trip home- LF wheel bearing and inner tie rod end are completely toast and both lower ball joints are seized.

Hurray! I'm glad you bought that truck!

But I'm sorry I didn't catch that front end malarkey.

E: yesterday my steering was so heavy I assumed the power-steering parts had fallen out. Today I dumped in PS fluid in a Canadian Tire parking lot and was rewarded with concerned stares from random people from the loud whining noises as I rolled the steering from lock to lock. But my steering is fixed!

Obviously I have a leak somewhere, but it's going to my local mechanic next week anyway so I plan to just throw money at my Ranger. :/

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 17, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Root Bear posted:

If there's no idiot light or trouble codes, chances are there's a problem with the gap between the end of the sensor and the tone ring on at least one wheel. I'd recommend checking the condition of the teeth on the rings inside each front rotor as well as the mating surfaces where the sensors attach to the spindle. A little bit of rust or debris between the two is all it takes to change the signal enough fool the computer into engaging the ABS. I don't see it happen on many Ford trucks, but GM trucks are notorious for it.

I already checked and cleaned the spindle. It seemed fine, no rust, no metal, fairly clean already but I hit it with brake cleaner and steel wool anyway just to be sure.
Tone ring was spotless aside from a little dirt. I cleaned it to be sure.
I'm going to return the door lock actuator and replace the right side sensor in the hopes that it's an easy fix.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Finally got motivated to replace the leaky power steering rack that had shot inner and outer tie rods...

Took a while to get it all apart making sure that the engine could hold it self in place while removing the front sub-frame. Now that I know the process I could do the whole job in just a matter of hours with the right tools rather than all weekend. The subframe was a bitch to get back up by my self and only one jack to balance it on, that and the 18mm line fittings on the rack...

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

But I'm sorry I didn't catch that front end malarkey.

Eh, it's all good. These things are known for weak front ends so I was expecting to have to do some work there, I think I even mentioned not to scrutinize that part too hard. And it's not like you could have known without jacking it up, the steering wheel is somehow only *very* slightly loose from the tie rod and the bad bearing isn't making any noise (or if it is it's just being drowned out by the unholy thunder coming out of that straight pipe- really glad I saved the muffler off my bricknose before it got scrapped).

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Spun it on the highway in the wet and crashed it side-on at into a kerb at 50mph.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Spun it on the highway in the wet and crashed it side-on at into a kerb at 50mph.

Aww poo poo, much damage?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

Aww poo poo, much damage?

One hosed wheel, and it now only wants to steer left. I was on the way to the junkyard so I put a junkyard wheel on. I pulled a full set of control arms, hubs, both front subframes and a steering rack with tie rods/ends in addition to all the poo poo i meant to pick up. So whatever is hosed won't be hosed for long :getin:

Sucks about the wheel though. Was a lovely BBS rim from a JDM 300ZX Z32 (non-turbo) which is the only OE JDM wheel I could find which matches the stock bolt pattern, wheel size and offset perfectly. They're very hard to find! Plus the whole set had nice newish tyres on.

On the other hand, I have a set of mint Rays Volk-Racing Evo4's in my garage that I've been meaning to do something with. The rears have 265mm tyres on. Guess I've found a new home for them..

Edit: looking at my two posts together made me realise how loving lucky I was to only come away with that damage.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 18, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Since the Lexus now has water entering the cabin and trunk and I haven't figured out where yet, I bought a dessicant cartridge for a Bendix AD-9. Ignoring the clearly marked THERE IS A BIG FUCKOFF SPRING IN HERE DO NOT DISASSEMBLE stamped on it, I cut a hole in the unsprung end and poured all the dessicant pellets out to make a ghetto passive dehumidifier to buy me some time until I get it sealed properly.
Not sure how well it's actually going to work, since this stuff is meant to dry compressed air being forced through it and I've got it sitting in a vented tupperware container, but I couldn't find any other dessicant locally and the cartridge was like $20.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

One hosed wheel, and it now only wants to steer left. I was on the way to the junkyard so I put a junkyard wheel on. I pulled a full set of control arms, hubs, both front subframes and a steering rack with tie rods/ends in addition to all the poo poo i meant to pick up. So whatever is hosed won't be hosed for long :getin:

Sucks about the wheel though. Was a lovely BBS rim from a JDM 300ZX Z32 (non-turbo) which is the only OE JDM wheel I could find which matches the stock bolt pattern, wheel size and offset perfectly. They're very hard to find! Plus the whole set had nice newish tyres on.

On the other hand, I have a set of mint Rays Volk-Racing Evo4's in my garage that I've been meaning to do something with. The rears have 265mm tyres on. Guess I've found a new home for them..

Edit: looking at my two posts together made me realise how loving lucky I was to only come away with that damage.

Haha, that is the best way to end a story about wrecking your car.

I bled the brakes, and in the process discovered the rear bumper beam is 40% air and 20% rust, the front left strut is rooted, the front left bleed screw twisted off with one finger on a 1/4 ratchet, the rockers are more rotten than I thought, the wheel arches are more rotten than I thought, there are fist sized rust holes in the rear strut towers, the entire evap system is composed of rust and air, the rear diff is howling under mild throttle for indeterminate reasons, and the inner wheel tubs are more rotten than I thought as well. Then it started making a very driveshafty rumble/vibration at 50mph that wasn't there a week ago, despite putting an almost new driveshaft in it last winter, checked my fuel economy over the last tank and it's abruptly dropped to 19mpg instead of the 25 I was getting.

The brakes were better for a few hours and then got worse again so the rear left brake line is probably leaking fluid on top of the gas tank. I'll have to drop the entire rear suspension and the gas tank to repair it properly, or just route a new piece of line around it elsewhere.

This loving car can go to hell. I am done fixing it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

the front left strut is rooted

sudo KYB -damposcillations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tommychu posted:

sudo KYB -damposcillations

With how shagged out the rest of the vehicle is I'm not wasting my time on it. I'm really hoping I can sneak through state safety inspection somehow and then let some tard rearend it in a few months when my other cars will be fixed up more. I actually only noticed the strut was pissing oil everywhere because I was under there attempting to bleed the caliper on that corner.